CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help!!New to being natural...

+2
LadyMika
SoftHeart
6 posters

Go down

Help!!New to being natural... Empty Help!!New to being natural...

Post by SoftHeart 29th April 2010, 9:47 pm

Hello Everyone,
I signed up for this site through someone that I knew through high school. I think I am still transitioning to natural hair and I have no idea what to do with it and almost none of my friends are natural so they are of little help. I have been watching youtube videos like crazy to figure out what to do.I seriously need some guidance and more and more people are trying to hinder me from going natural, I don't really get the feedback that I need.Can someone please help me I'm so in distress? I want to do my BC so that I can finally work with my hair, but I am still a little hesitant about how people will treat me. One of my guy friends told me I have to act with confidence and everything will be fine, but to be honest I have never been one of such confidence. This is very difficult for me, but it is something in my heart of hearts that I want and need to do.I want people to see me for who I am and love me anyway.Please help!!!!

SoftHeart

Last edited by SoftHeart on 29th April 2010, 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I had a mispelled word.)

SoftHeart

Back to top Go down

Help!!New to being natural... Empty Re: Help!!New to being natural...

Post by LadyMika 29th April 2010, 10:11 pm

Welcome to the site, and your guy friend is right: be confident in your decision and yourself. You're doing this because YOU want to do it, and NOT for the validation from others. If your friends can't accept you as you are, as you were MEANT to be, then you're better off without them. They can EASILY be replaced by more positive and supportive people.

Just a few questions so we can be able to help you better: How long have you been transitioning? What products are you using? What's your regimen like? You should check out the Butters N Bars, Stylin' and Profilin' and Products forums for product reviews, style tips and advice. A lot of us also have blogs and YouTube channels; there's even a couple of young ladies in high school here who've been natural for sometime (one of them BC'd a couple of days ago!).

Again, welcome to the site. If you need any help at all, just ask! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SoftHeart 29th April 2010, 10:43 pm

Thank you so much, you don't how much you have helped me with those words.I've been transitioning since October, so for about 7months.I have no idea what I am doing as far as my regimen, I have no idea what to put in my hair. I am using olive oil products and some Dr. Miracle things. Do you know how much the Chop will cost?Also I am going to be a junior in college in the summer and I will probably get my hair cut right after school gets out, do you have any ideas of how to wear my hair or how to properly wash it.

SoftHeart

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 29th April 2010, 11:06 pm

You sound a lot like *I* did when I transitioned. Since you've been at it for 7 months, you've got some decent growth; start doing a lot of protective styles: twists or braids (with or without extensions) are good. You want to get a lot of MOISTURE into your hair: if you're not already, start deep conditioning WEEKLY as well as washing/shampooing your hair WEEKLY. For an example of a regimen, you can check out my blog (in my signature). Kimmaytube on YouTube has a GREAT video on how she washes and conditions her hair--I HIGHLY encourage you to watch it. MahoganyCurls (a member of this site) also had a YouTube video on how to CO-WASH (using conditioner instead of shampoo). I encourage you to watch that as well.

For products, you want to use products that moisturize and strengthen your hair especially conditioners. (Conditioners are our friends. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ) Some product lines that *I* had good experiences with include Organix, Yes To Carrots/Cucumbers, Giovanni Direct, Nature's Gate, Aubrey Organics. These are all fairly affordable, and can be found in a drug store or health food store. You'll also want to try ORGANIC products (extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil, jojoba oil, castor oil, shea butter, cocoa butter, etc). No two heads of hair are alike; what works for one person, may not work for you. Experiment, see what works for YOUR hair, and when you find it, stick with it.

As for the chop, it depends on two things: 1) if you want to DIY(do it yourself) or 2) if you want a salon or barber shop to do it. Salons/barbers can charge pretty much whatever they want. Many of us avoided paying and did the big chop ourselves. If you're like me and you don't really trust salons all that much, you can do it yourself. If you don't trust yourself with a pair of scissors, you can go to a salon or barber (a barber will probably charge you LESS).

For styles, definitely go to the Natural Hair Challenges thread and the Butters N Bars thread. The ladies in both threads are always coming up with something new. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
LadyMika
LadyMika

Back to top Go down

Post by SoftHeart 29th April 2010, 11:15 pm

Thank you so much again.How do you get your hair to be even when you are cutting it yourself and how do you know when you have cut enough?I have a million and one questions for you and I apologize, but truly this guidance is what I need. I have trimmed it once, but I know that I need to cut it because I can see that the ends are starting to break off and I don't want my new natural hair to break off with it.

SoftHeart

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 29th April 2010, 11:24 pm

Your welcome! That's what this site is about: helping each other. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I didn't trim my hair very often when my hair was longer. About four times out of the whole year, and it was a very small amount so I couldn't tell if it was even or not. When I cut it the second time, I did it myself and I got all crazy with the scissors. So I went to a barber to have them shape my hair. You can do the same if you want (and pay a fraction of the price), but make sure you tell them EXACTLY what you want. Some barbers will just get to cuttin' and you'll be walking out with less hair than you intended.
LadyMika
LadyMika

Back to top Go down

Post by SoulfulSista 29th April 2010, 11:42 pm

SoftHeart, I don't have much to add to what LadyMika has said, but know that you can find lots of support and answers from different forums and on youtube. It sounds like you're off on the right track. Just know that your God given texture will look beautiful on you.
SoulfulSista
SoulfulSista

http://www.soulfulsista.net

Back to top Go down

Post by SoftHeart 4th May 2010, 4:17 pm

Ok,I'm doing my BC today and I'm having some trouble with the idea because my hair will not stay moisterized.

SoftHeart

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 4th May 2010, 4:43 pm

Once you cut off the relaxed ends completely, you will only focus on one texture rather than two. Just use a really good light conditioner; we recommend Suave Coconut or V05 I hear is good, too.

Do a conditoner only wash. Feel free to add oils like olive oil or coconut oil to your conditioner. Let it sit for about half an hour before rinsing it out. When you rinse, leave a little bit of conditioner on your hair to keep the moisture.

If you have a light styler like Cantu Shea creme or moisture spritz mixed with different oils, you should be good to go! Conditioning is the key to good moisture.
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by SoftHeart 5th May 2010, 6:44 pm

I did it!!I got the cut.How do I know what texture I have?

SoftHeart

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 5th May 2010, 6:50 pm

Dont worry about your texture, healthy hair is the key. Follow the steps of these ladies and you cant go wrong. O I forgot welcome and where are your pics? yeaaaa for your BC [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by bholmes87 5th May 2010, 7:37 pm

CONGRATS on the BC softheart!!! I agree with Rose, we would love to see some pictures! That would help us give you even better tips Smile

Just know that all you will get is support here so don't be shy about questions! The Curl Street Journal is also an amazing place to go for tips and tricks. There are people of various lengths and textures that have great, positive and supportive advice to give. All you have to do is ask Very Happy so come on and join Curl Street if you want!
bholmes87
bholmes87

http://fotki.com/bholmes87

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down