CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question on Heat Protectants

3 posters

Go down

Question on Heat Protectants Empty Question on Heat Protectants

Post by MsChris8 29th April 2010, 12:55 am

Hello Curlies =)

For those of you that straighten your hair occasionally...Do you know of any good heat protectants? Also, I've read in some places that oils are bad as heat protectants because they can cause your hair to "fry" but I've seen in other places that they are good as heat protectants. Can someone clear this up for me?

Thanks!
MsChris8
MsChris8

Back to top Go down

Question on Heat Protectants Empty Re: Question on Heat Protectants

Post by dajewel 29th April 2010, 1:09 am

products with certain silicones are good heat protectants. also grapeseed oil is a great heat protectant. i know there are other oils that are great, but i haven't investigated the rest because i don't heat style my hair (haven't done so in two n half years). u can also try heat protectants that have protein as wells as silicones
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by MsChris8 29th April 2010, 2:26 am

Okay...Thanks for the info!
MsChris8
MsChris8

Back to top Go down

Post by hnysmax 29th April 2010, 1:56 pm

Ok, this goes against most things that I've read on hair forums, but I was talking to a friend the other day who is a certified trichologist (one who studies the science of healthy hair and scalp). We were discussing heat protectants and she told me that if you use one that has silicone in it, it is like laminating your hair. (Vivid image, huh?) She suggested just using regular shea butter.

I don't know how much shea to use, but I thought I'd pass along the info about using a heat protectant with silicone. I am in the process of growing out some heat damage and I wouldn't want you to have to go through the same thing.

Last edited by hnysmax on 29th April 2010, 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : P.S. I'm beginning to think that using a heat protectant with silicone contributed to my heat damage. I was always pretty careful about making sure that the blow dryer and flat iron were not too hot.)

hnysmax

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down