CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Moisturize and Seal......With What?

+3
Russianjoy
mstokes2008
Monique
7 posters

Go down

Moisturize and Seal......With What? Empty Moisturize and Seal......With What?

Post by Monique 28th April 2010, 12:39 pm

I have been reading this forum and others that give advice about natural hair care. The common theme that is constantly emphasized is "moisturize and seal". Many women have stressed the importance of moisturizing and sealing natural hair to encourage growth and overall healthiness.

Lately, I have become a little bogged down about what products or homemade recipes women use to moisturize and seal their hair. There are so many routines out there that now I am confused about what products add moisture and what products seal hair. Also, when do you do these key steps.....daily, only on wash days, every other day? Can you guys school me on this issue please?

Ladies please help me and tell me three things:
1. What do you use to moisturize?
2. What do you use to seal?
3. When do you moisturize and seal?

If there are any homemade products involved, please list the recipe......Thanks!

Monique

Back to top Go down

Moisturize and Seal......With What? Empty Re: Moisturize and Seal......With What?

Post by mstokes2008 28th April 2010, 1:01 pm

I pretty much only use water and/or conditioner to moisturize daily

And I use either EVOO or Jojoba oil to seal

It's pretty simple but I am struggling with finding a better moisturizer.
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Moisturize and Seal......With What? Empty Re: Moisturize and Seal......With What?

Post by Russianjoy 28th April 2010, 1:50 pm

Hi Monique:

I moisturize with Giovanni Leave-In conditioner on soaking wet hair, then either Qhemet heavy cream or Burdock Root cream layered next (heavier leave-in), depending on which texture section I'm on (4a-3b). I seal the ends with a tiny bit of Jane Carter Nourish and Shine Pomade(mixture of butters)..or jojoba or EVOO..some use shea. The bottom line is to moisturize with a water based product (first ingredient) and then seal with an oil based product next , (oil or butter as the first ingredient) to help keep the moisture in.

I spritz with water each night before retwisting, often sealing the ends again or providing more of a cream if it seems dry...usually every 2-3 days. Hair loses mositure from the ends to root, so the ends of your hair need more attention than the rest. I found kimmaytube's youtube video of this to be very helpful. She also references Chicoro, whom I borrowed the layering technique from. Hope this helps. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Russianjoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Erica5417 28th April 2010, 2:16 pm

Moisturize- Giovanni VItapro Fusion
Seal- Africa's Best Herbal Oil and Carol's Daughter Healthy Hair Butter

I do this once or twice a week, refreshing in between with Vitapro or Carol's DAughter Tui Leave in
Erica5417
Erica5417

http://ericathurman.ennoir.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Russianjoy 28th April 2010, 3:51 pm

Erica5417 - I use Giovanni Direct Leave in but have never tried Vitapro Fusion. How do these products compare?

Russianjoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Erica5417 28th April 2010, 4:07 pm

The Vitapro is more of a water based conditioner, the direct leave in is creamier and thicker. I've never tried the Direct Leave in (I use the 50/50, Tea Tree Triple Treat and the Smooth as Silk). The Vitapro has been a part of my regimen for a while now. I love it personally.
Erica5417
Erica5417

http://ericathurman.ennoir.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 28th April 2010, 8:40 pm

Moisturizer: Bee Mine Hair Butter or HE HH mixed with Aloe Vera Gel, Jojoba, Castor, Vitamin E, and Sweet Almond oils (awesome creamy consistency!)
Seal: Shealoe mixture (strands) Castor Oil (ends)
Moisturizer and Seal: When doing my twists, I apply any of the above mentioned products to my hair strands, twist, and then dab castor oil on the ends and seal by twisting the ends around my finger.
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by WalkingInDestiny 28th April 2010, 10:23 pm

Erica5417 wrote:Moisturize- Giovanni VItapro Fusion
Seal- Africa's Best Herbal Oil and Carol's Daughter Healthy Hair Butter

I do this once or twice a week, refreshing in between with Vitapro or Carol's DAughter Tui Leave in

If you have ever used the direct leave-in, do you prefer the vitapro. Also are there any significant differences as one providing more moisture than the other. I use the direct leave-in and really, really like it. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
WalkingInDestiny
WalkingInDestiny

Back to top Go down

Post by kinksncurls 29th April 2010, 2:03 am

I have used both products and I personally like the direct leave in better for my 4b hair. It's thicker and I feel it leaves my hair softer. I also use the direct leave in in a spray bottle with water and that works better for me than the vitapro. The vitapro is more water based than the leave in
kinksncurls
kinksncurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down