CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transitioning in New Orleans

4 posters

Go down

Transitioning in New Orleans Empty Transitioning in New Orleans

Post by niknak82 28th April 2010, 11:49 am

I am a very new transitioner. I started getting relaxers 7 years ago, and I'm ready to get my old hair back. I made the decision last week. My last relaxer was March 25, 2010. Its something thats been on my mind for a while, maybe since I cut my bra-length hair into a chin-length bob last summer. My hair is just about to my shoulder now.

So, I currently live in New Orleans. If you've been to New Orleans, you would agree when I say that the weather doesn't seem conducive to transitioning. I would like some tips on products and styles that may help me in my humid environment. (I plan on being a long-term transitioner. My forehead is way too big for TWA [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )

Other than the weather, my second concern is that I'm getting married in October [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . I told my mom yesterday that I was growing out my relaxer and there was silence [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . She's like maybe you need to wait til after the wedding. I don't want to wait. I can do this. Any suggestions for how I should wear my hair on my wedding day. I was thinking kinky twists in bun?

Thanks ladies!! I look forward to the tips.
niknak82
niknak82

Back to top Go down

Transitioning in New Orleans Empty Re: Transitioning in New Orleans

Post by Karameldiva1978 1st May 2010, 12:21 am

Hi Niknak82:
I live in Baton Rouge and am 3 months into my transition in this humid, rainy, sticky weather, so yes, I can identify. Mostly because I'm growing out a pixie, I rock half wigs. But this week, I've started missing my hair, so next week, I'll be rocking perm rod sets. I don't yet know about products to use, but that will come later after I BC and start to maintain my curls.

Congratulations on the wedding! Don't forget spiral sets hanging or in an updo may work, even twist outs to blend your new growth. Also, if we have another real winter this year, it may be cool enough in October to flat iron and wear a straight style. That is one of the luxuries of natural hair, versatility.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by Karameldiva1978 on 1st May 2010, 2:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Karameldiva1978
Karameldiva1978

Back to top Go down

Post by aprilj90 1st May 2010, 2:02 am

Hey ya'll
I'm currently in Baton Rouge and about 5 months into my transition. I use the kinky curly knot today and then use cantu shea butter over it and so far I haven't had a problem with humidity [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
aprilj90
aprilj90

Back to top Go down

Post by blksndrlla 3rd May 2010, 12:33 am

Hey! I'm in NOLA...I am 21.5 months post. I have spent the past 9 months of it here. I wore a lot of buns to be honest. My "out" styles {twist-outs, t-n-c, braid outs) actually fair better in the humidity. I have straightened my hair a few times...it did okay. After wrapping it...any reversion went back straight. GOOD LUCK!

and CONGRATS on your pending nuptial!
blksndrlla
blksndrlla

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down