CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4b's Please Stand Up!

+16
mizzy247
tresmom08
Alanija
EmbracingNaturalMe
coilykinks
moonchild
WalkingInDestiny
KnottyKinkyMommy
QuietButterfly
HAMPTONSFNST
NubieNatty
Curlz of Luv
agore07
dajewel
Juices-n-Berries
Born2BeMe
20 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

4b's Please Stand Up! - Page 3 Empty Re: 4b's Please Stand Up!

Post by agore07 4th May 2010, 2:19 pm

Born2BeMe wrote:

I just got some black soap, I used it on my face twice and my fast
appear brighter, I'm already light, but I dunno how to describe it, but
my face looks brighter or something.

I was thinking of making
some shampoo with Dr. Bonner's soap, the baby mild one. I got some for
my son, to make his bubble bath. But I might use some for some shampoo,
right now I am cleansing monthly with either alma powders, KC Come
Clean, or Trader Joes Nourish Shampoo. But I don't 100 % love any of
them the powders, do make my curls pop like nobody's business and the
come clean, leaves the hair squeky clean but it feel hard. So you are
saying put a few chucks in a bottle and let it melt and add some EOs and
that's it ?

agore07...yes ma'am! It's pretty amazing. I add aloe vera juice and glycerin bc they are very moisturizing, however, I don't use the glycerin in the winter. I actually saw it on youtube on NaturalEndlessB but she closed her account. You can see it here as well though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXgbFNwUcgo&playnext_from=TL&videos=NQ1CIM6EF8I. I do think she makes too much work for herself tho. Also, when you're going to use it make sure you can shake bc the products separate from the water.

I was going to try Dr. Bronner's shampoos, but I am so glad I didn't. Check out Kimmaytube on youtuber. Her most recent video is on pH basics/balance. The pH of Dr. Bronner's shampoo is at just about the same level as a relaxer! Her video is really informative. I'm thinking about going to CVS and purchasing some pH strips to test my products to make sure they are pH balanced.

Hey yes, I watched this video the other day, I only ordered a personal size thing of black soap to try on my face and of course my face loves it ! I will have to see about ordering enough for the shampoo tho. I was thinking of using Dr. Bonners but I haven't moved on it yet, and I don't for see it, because I am soo lovin black soap now. I just have to make some !
agore07
agore07

Back to top Go down

Post by agore07 4th May 2010, 2:22 pm

coilykinks wrote:
agore07 wrote:
EmbracingNaturalMe wrote:Agore07, love your twists!

Thanks ! I love them too, you can't tell in the pick, but they are small and the KCCC have them just shinning, and they are soo moist and light, just the right product for this weather [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

your twists are amazing. Its funny that u did your twists with the KCCC because I have been comtemplating doing twists on my daughters hair using the KCCC. The only thing is I don't have time to do the big twists and wait for them to dry, and then small twist the next day.

Your results are great. I am just learning to do decent twists on my hair, but thanks for sharing.

Thank you, instead of waiting over night till the hair is completely dry, maybe you can wash/cowash in the morning and then put in a few pony's or large twist like 6 and wait awhile till it is damp, then try it, for me my hair dryes faster and respondes better when my hair is dry with the KCCC worst but I have used it on damp almost dry hair as well, I did this over the weekend and it made it easier. It's worth it, I haven't applied anything in my hair at all. Tonight I will probably do castor for my scalp tho. But it feel good right now. I have to be mindful of my scalp. Trust me it's worth it
agore07
agore07

Back to top Go down

Post by agore07 4th May 2010, 2:23 pm

agore07 wrote:
coilykinks wrote:
agore07 wrote:
EmbracingNaturalMe wrote:Agore07, love your twists!

Thanks ! I love them too, you can't tell in the pick, but they are small and the KCCC have them just shinning, and they are soo moist and light, just the right product for this weather [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

your twists are amazing. Its funny that u did your twists with the KCCC because I have been comtemplating doing twists on my daughters hair using the KCCC. The only thing is I don't have time to do the big twists and wait for them to dry, and then small twist the next day.

Your results are great. I am just learning to do decent twists on my hair, but thanks for sharing.

Thank you, instead of waiting over night till the hair is completely dry, maybe you can wash/cowash in the morning and then put in a few pony's or large twist like 6 and wait awhile till it is damp, then try it, for me my hair dryes faster and respondes better when my hair is dry with the KCCC worst but I have used it on damp almost dry hair as well, I did this over the weekend and it made it easier. It's worth it, I haven't applied anything in my hair at all. Tonight I will probably do castor for my scalp tho. But it feel good right now. I have to be mindful of my scalp. Trust me it's worth it

Also stay encouraged about doing your own twist it doesn't have to be perfect and it gets easier in time. I am struggling with flat twist right now myself. But I'm gonna keep trying till it looks good.
agore07
agore07

Back to top Go down

Post by agore07 4th May 2010, 2:25 pm

tresmom08 wrote:I have no idea what type of hair I have. You ladies make it sound so easy.

Oh trust me, this is not easy, I am going into my 3rd year and I have had some ups and downs, but right now my journal is making things run smoothly for me.
agore07
agore07

Back to top Go down

Post by agore07 4th May 2010, 2:39 pm

Alanija wrote:Agore07 how do you make shamoo with the dr. bronner's? I saw some the other day in Target but didn't know how to do it so I left it there. And you're making bubble bath with it as well. My girls and I can't use any type of bubbly scented soaps because of sensitive southern regions, I know tmi, but with dr. bronners being more natural, I wonder how that would work.

No, I have not made shampoo, I was thinking of it, but I will do black soap instead.

Bubble bath

2 cups liquid soap ( 18-n-1 unscented baby mild-light blue label)
6 cups water
1/4 cup light corn syrup or glycerin (I used glycerin)
3 drops of EO, I like lavendar to calm my son down
1/2 tsp sugar helps to keep the bubbles

Mix together all the ingredients and let sit for at least 4 hours. Pour into a clean container with a tight fitting lid. To use, pour 1/2 cup into the bath under running water.

You can also google there are a tone of recipes for grown ups as well, just remember to add the sugar so that you can extend the life of the bubbles.
agore07
agore07

Back to top Go down

Post by agore07 4th May 2010, 2:41 pm

Born2BeMe wrote:O and you don't need to grate the soap as she does. It will dissolve on it's own. So you just leave the pieces of soap to melt for about a day and then add your fave moisturizing oils. You will need a preservative tho...I used rosemary eo and i think a little honey. Vitamin E works well also.

Thanks ! I was gonna use grape fruit seed extact, we use this in all of our homemade products, you can find it in many natural personal products, got it from whole foods. But this sounds easy, now all I need is the soap, I will def try to order by the end of the month for my next wash. I want the best shampoo and most natural for my hair you know.
agore07
agore07

Back to top Go down

Post by Born2BeMe 4th May 2010, 4:09 pm

Tresmom08...it's not easy, but you learn what works for your hair. It's really a trial and error process. You can google "hair typing" and see what comes up. I think most black women are in the 4 range, but that could just be my opinion. Also, youtube is a wealth of information for new naturals. That has been my main source since I decided to stop relaxing. Other people have said that books on natural hair care have been really awesome as well. For me, I have discovered that natural products work best (i.e. Shea butter), but to each his own. Hope your journey goes well [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Born2BeMe
Born2BeMe

Back to top Go down

Post by agore07 7th May 2010, 1:22 am

Hey ya'll

UPDATE :

Tomorrow will be day 5 for my twist with KCCC and believe it or not they are still moisturized, I have not added anything to my twist ! I have only been using my oil fee spritz on my scalp to keep my scalp feeling wonderful that's it. I would highly recommend and I will try this again. Def a keeper for summer twist. I think if I use it weekly with my oil free scalp spritz I can probably go without washing with Come Clean every week in the summer, I can co wash with Vo5 instead. The KCCC is so funny when it comes to other products. But I heard that V05 works just as well as Knot today. So it should be cool for me to co wash with. I will still use the Knot Today as my base and twist with the KCCC. But I am still hatching out my game plan for the summer, def will be rocking my twist mostly this summer, I have way less breakage, it's amazing.
agore07
agore07

Back to top Go down

Post by mizzy247 7th May 2010, 1:40 pm

@ agore07 You should do a twist out tutorial with the KCCC products.. Your hair looks really moist and curly good..

mizzy247

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 7th May 2010, 1:46 pm

A tutorial would be nice...
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by Born2BeMe 7th May 2010, 7:10 pm

+1 for the tutorial [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Born2BeMe
Born2BeMe

Back to top Go down

Post by coilykinks 8th May 2010, 12:57 am

Agore. thanks for the encouragement. I will keep tryin and practice some patience while doing it. I twisted my hair on Sunday night and left the twists up until Thurday morning. I took them down for a Luau at work, and I wore a twistout. I was so surprised at my results, my hair was gorgeous. So I will definitely keep trying.
coilykinks
coilykinks

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallytexan 10th May 2010, 8:29 pm

When I first went natural I was buying all kinds of stuff including KCCC which didn't work for me. Now I just keep it simple and stick to what I know which is:

AO Honeysuckle Rose Condish (love the scent)
AO Island Naturals Condish (not to crazy about the scent but works really well)
Suave Coconut Shampoo & Condish
Suave Naturals Almond & Shea (love this stuff as a co-wash)
Suave Clarifying Shampoo
Herbal Essences Hello Hydration
Dr. Bronners Magic Soap - Almond Scent (I use it straight out of the bottle, just a little is all that's needed)
Exta Virgin Olive Oil
Sweet Almond Oil
Eco-Styler

My go to styles are:

Twist Outs
Bantu Knot Outs (get the most compliments with this one, but it takes a long time to dry)
Coils (my fave but it takes soooooo long to do)

I have been wanting to try something different like a roller set but not sure how that will turn out.
naturallytexan
naturallytexan

Back to top Go down

Post by TaSiaJaY 11th May 2010, 5:09 pm

Hi..The products that my hair loves are

Organix Coconut Conditioner for prepoo /dc
Jamaican Black Castor Oil applied my scalp and twists (while wet)
To hold my hair down I use the Pink color Eco Styler (this is just for the sides

I also add rosemary oil to the castor oil and conditioner.

Jamilla Henna needes to be added into my routine once again! I love how it thickens my hair...

This is it for now....
TaSiaJaY
TaSiaJaY

Back to top Go down

Post by agore07 11th May 2010, 6:55 pm

Hey ya'll

I would luv to do a turtorial, once I can figure out my camera, I can hardly take good pics to post ! lol! I'm a goof like that.

But look, ya'll wouldn't believe I had a twist out since Sat, I just put my hair in some large twist to co wash and set for the rest of the week. And for real my hair is still moist ! KCCC for real ya'll. and I didn't even use alot. My scalp is in need of a cleanse but my hair itself is cool. I could rock this twist out for the rest of the week and be cool on some real stuff. It still look great !

Twist and Twist out with KCCC cheers
agore07
agore07

Back to top Go down

Post by coilykinks 15th May 2010, 9:41 pm

agore, I tried the KCCC on my daughters hair and I love the results. And I just finished my hair also, and I will share a pic later. You mentioned an oil free spritz, can u share with me what u are using specifically? I need something to refresh the twists. I was thinking water, Knot-Today and glycerin, but before I try that I would like to know what u have used so I can skip the trial and error part.
coilykinks
coilykinks

Back to top Go down

Post by agore07 15th May 2010, 11:23 pm

@ coilykinks, hey girl, glad it worked for ya'll, I used Bee Mine Sensitive Oil Free Spray Serum on my scalp, since I wasn't using an oil, but you can use an oil, if you plan on co washing or shampooing after and DC for another set. the idea was to use on oil free product to keep the scalp from drying, because the KT and KCCC is incredibly moistrizing , I didn't need to add anything to my actual hair length. Mainly because I was twisted up, but even after I took my twist out, I could go several days without adding anything to my hair. In the event I would suggest you use, filtered water, KT and some glycerin would be fine. But truth plain filitered water will activiate the KCCC and you will be back in bidness !

The Bee Mine spray Ingredients: Organic Aloe Vera Juice, Herbal Infused Purified Water, Ayurvedic Herbs, Select Herbs, MSM, Fragrance

As you can see it's main ingredient is the Aloe Vera Juice, KCCC main ingredient is also Aloe Vera. I said that I would use an oil free spritz on my scalp in preparation to other sets. You can just co wash with an oil free conditioner , particularly VO5 and use KT to condition and KCCC to twist for another set. That way you don't have to worry about using Come Clean to wash out all oils and product build up in your hair with every set. KCCC doesn't work with oils. So if you can keep the oils from your hair, it will be less washing with shampoo, even tho her shampoo is all natural and what not, still harsher on the hair than co washing. That's if you wanna keep following that line for at least a few sets before you wash for the month or however often you do it. I hope that makes sense.

I thought of this as a way to keep using the line without shampooing I only cleanse once a month. Be Mine Sensitive is great, I have a sensitive scalp and it gets sores in it from product build up very easily. The only thing that has really helped clear sores is castor oil which is not gonna work with KCCC and is so incredibly heavy in summer months, so I have to be mindful of my scalp ecspecially in the summer months.
agore07
agore07

Back to top Go down

Post by coilykinks 15th May 2010, 11:57 pm

ok-so I am guessing you don't seal your ends?
coilykinks
coilykinks

Back to top Go down

Post by agore07 16th May 2010, 2:18 pm

@ coilykinks, I dunno how your hair responses to KT and KCCC but I don't have to seal my ends when I use this line, these products is like walking around with wet, very moist hair even after it dry's on the surface. It's so incredibly moisturizing, I'm not sure if you have experienced this. but all of our hair responds differently. My hair loved this method. Like I said it was moist even with the twist out. KT and KCCC is not like a butter. It's mainly water and Aloe Vera, and it penetrates the hair shaft so deeply, that's why it takes days on end for your hair to completely dry. IMHO.

I will be using this method today, I will cleanse with CC and large twist with KT and small twist in the morning with KCCC. My defintion was so great, I'm gonna rock this to see Jill and Maxwell on friday.

So I wasn't for sure if your were asking me if I seal in regards to KCCC line or in general.

In general I use Chicoro's lock in moisture method: 1. leave in water based spritz or home made 2. oil 3. creame base product ( shea butters, whipped butters) and twist/braid in general.

I combine step 1 and 2 because I make my homemade spritz with oils in it and then I lock in moisture with a butter. I also treat my scalp with the butter or just my oil mix. Depending on how my scalp is feeling, I chose my mix cream based on that. I do this on every twist or braid set. Now, say I want to rock a twist out for longer than 2 days, I will leave my hair lose (no moisturize and twisting at night) for a minimum of 2 days, with this seal in method, I notice my hair can hold moisture on lose hair for atleast 2 days, without doing anything to it well, besides my satin cap or tieing it up to protect it at night...

But say I want to rock a twist out for a few more days, I will use this seal in method , just a few spritz of water based/oil leave in over my whole head and maybe a dallop of butter or pomade ( I like Jane Carter Nourish and Shine, basically mango butter) in my hands and just scrunch through my hair and large twist up at night. The key is still to lock in moisture. And then my hair will be moist and my hair will be protected against dryness from being lose and really from manipulation. I noticed that if I have my hands in my hair when it's lose ecspecially and it gets way dryer faster. And let's be honest, we love to touch ! LOL

Exception

For when I use KCCC product line. I don't need to layer lock in moisture into my hair shaft because, KCCC is so incredibly moisturizing to my hair, especially with wearing twist and for twist out as well, now if I were to wear a twist out ( lose hair, not twisting up every night ) longer I would keep my hair moist with an oil free leave in/spritz like you said your mix will work. Or just plain filtered water to reactiviate the product wich will then reactivate the moisture in your hair. This method keeps my hair moist and most natural in general. Plus if I want to I can just go right ahead and use KCCC and KT again with just oil free co washing I can do that without pooing.

I heard of a gang of naturals just using water in the shower or spray to reactivate and there good for more days. The thing about KCCC it doesn't respond well with oils, pomades, butter for reactivation or moisturizing. I notice if I reactivate with a spritz that has oils in it, I don't get the same definition, and my hair just don't feel the same. For me KCCC line by itself is best even with reactivation for moisture. Now, I noticed that KCCC can last me up to at least 1.5 weeks if I do a set of twist for about a week and twist out for the rest, If I just wear and apply it on lose hair it can last up to a week and really I don't have to re wet/moisturize or anything to just before those last few days before I re set my hair.

But like I said, My scalp is sensitive so I have to be careful about how long I go without cleansing my scalp. but yea, it's all a mater of finding the method that works for you.

I am keeping a hair journal and this is helping me track my methods, so I won't keep making the same mistakes.
agore07
agore07

Back to top Go down

Post by coilykinks 17th May 2010, 12:02 am

agore......thanks. This info is so helpful. And I will also be seeing Jill Scott in a couple of weeks in Houston and I am super exciting about rocking a nice twistout or frohawk.
coilykinks
coilykinks

Back to top Go down

Post by lumii 17th May 2010, 3:23 pm

I wanted to know if any of you has ever done twist n curl and how it looked! I was thinking of doing it over the weekend but I'm not sure if it would even turn out well with my 4c...xyz hair [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
lumii
lumii

Back to top Go down

Post by coilykinks 31st May 2010, 12:11 pm

lumii, give it a try. And please post ur results
coilykinks
coilykinks

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyPA 1st June 2010, 8:01 pm

Hi ladies
I too have 4 something hair type. I say 4 something because I am not sure which one it is. What I can say is that I have a lot of poof and little curl definition. Today I used a a ecostyler custard that I was advised about from another curlie. I got some definition but after it dried back to the poof. The only way I get curls is if I do a twist out. So I am asking for any advice out there. I am not sure If I am not using the gel right or if I have to come to the realization that I will not have curl definition like the ladies with type 3 hair. I watch tutorials on youtube and i don't get the same results. Any advice on what to do is greatly appreciated.
CurlyPA
CurlyPA

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 1st June 2010, 10:47 pm

CurlyPA wrote:Hi ladies
I too have 4 something hair type. I say 4 something because I am not sure which one it is. What I can say is that I have a lot of poof and little curl definition. Today I used a a ecostyler custard that I was advised about from another curlie. I got some definition but after it dried back to the poof. The only way I get curls is if I do a twist out. So I am asking for any advice out there. I am not sure If I am not using the gel right or if I have to come to the realization that I will not have curl definition like the ladies with type 3 hair. I watch tutorials on youtube and i don't get the same results. Any advice on what to do is greatly appreciated.

YouTube and hair typing in general can be confusing. In my opinion, no two heads are alike, so what works on one person who claims to have a certain type may not work on another person who has the same type.

I am 4b/a. No matter what product I apply to my hair, I am not going to have type 3 hair. Products that define your curl, do just that. They define the curls that are already in your hair. If products could loosen texture, then when type 3 people defined their hair, it would look like type 2. That doesn't occur, so I'm not sure why people assume that for type 4 hair.

One problem like I stated is the whole issue of hair typing. I have seen so many people on YouTube claim to have type 4b and in actuality there hair is 4a or less because they have a clear and defined curl. In fact, it's gotten so out of hand, that people went on to CREATE the hairtype 4c. There is no such thing as 4c hair according to the hair typing system. But I think they felt it necessary because they saw that their hair behaved differently from those claiming to be 4b. The problem with the numbering system is that it does not account for the density, volume, thickness, and porosity of your hair. All of these can effect the way your hair reacts to a certain product.

The best thing you can do is to just accept the hair type that you have and do what works best for it. The wash and go isn't for everyone. Even though I am able to get curls from one, it is so time consuming to shingle that it isn't really a wash and go anymore. Also, when I do wash and gos and sleep on it my hair becomes extremely tangled so I have to either convert it to a twistout, or band my hair the next day.

So I say, if twist outs are working for you. Keep doing them.

However, as far as products... my 4b/a hair has had success with KCCC and Original Fragrance Shop Curl Soufle. I have pictures in my CSJ thread. The link is in my signature.

Hope that helps.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyPA 1st June 2010, 11:04 pm

Thanks juice-n-berries. I think I have come to the realization but just holding onto a little glimmer of hope.. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]. The eco styler custard is really good for my hair in terms of moisture. although I started out with a "wash-n-go" I am now almost done twisting. I just really want a little curl...
CurlyPA
CurlyPA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next