CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4b's Please Stand Up!

+16
mizzy247
tresmom08
Alanija
EmbracingNaturalMe
coilykinks
moonchild
WalkingInDestiny
KnottyKinkyMommy
QuietButterfly
HAMPTONSFNST
NubieNatty
Curlz of Luv
agore07
dajewel
Juices-n-Berries
Born2BeMe
20 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

4b's Please Stand Up! Empty 4b's Please Stand Up!

Post by Born2BeMe 27th April 2010, 6:32 pm

Hello Ladies!
I am a fellow 4b. I did my big chop in January after transitioning for 1 yr. I have just started trying to find products that work for my hair now that I know what my texture is. To be honest, the water spritz and Shea butter works very well for me as far as moisture, but I need a product that will provide some hold and definition for my twists n twist outs. As far as cleansing/conditioning goes:
Homemade black soap shampoo (awesome and non-stripping)
Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner
Giovanni 50/50 Balanced Conditioner (good but I prefer Trader Joe's)
Darcy's Botanicals Daily Leave-In Conditioner (waiting to receive)

Styling aids on the list to try:
Oyin Whipped Pudding and Shine and Define (just ordered)
Bee Mine Bee Hold Curly Butter (pending Oyin experience-prob will purchase esp since Oyin is so pricey)
Afroveda Pur Whipped Jelly
Darcy's Botanicals Madagascar Vanilla Styling Creme (Trying today)

Let us know what you use!!! Cleansing, conditioning, styling, etc.!
Born2BeMe
Born2BeMe

Back to top Go down

4b's Please Stand Up! Empty Re: 4b's Please Stand Up!

Post by Juices-n-Berries 27th April 2010, 11:43 pm

I'm a 4b. I've used the Oyin Whipped Pudding and Shine and Define. I've gotten good results but I wouldn't consider it to be SUPER moisturizing. I haven't heard rave reviews about the BeeMine so I haven't tried it yet. I've used the Afroveda Pur Whipped Gelly. I like the hold, but I'm trying to find the right moisturizer to use under it. I plan to order the Darcy's once the sample pack becomes available again, so please keep me posted on your results...

Another line you may want to try is Qhemet. All of their products are very moisturizing and seem to be a fave among type 4s. They are having a sale on May 7th I believe.

HTH
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by Born2BeMe 28th April 2010, 12:58 am

Yea I have been hearing a lot about Qhemet, but I will definitely check them out on May 7th tho. And I will do my best to update u on my experience with Bee Mine. I really hope the Oyin works...I have been hearing such great things about it. It seems that a lot of the styling jellies still need some kind of moisturizer underneath--would be nive if they moisturized and provided hold. Thanks alot! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Born2BeMe
Born2BeMe

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 28th April 2010, 2:00 am

Yes, that would be nice.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 28th April 2010, 9:47 am

my hair is somewhere in the 4 category....i use my shea, aloe, coconut oil and castor oil mix to do my twists...aloe gives great hold....
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by agore07 28th April 2010, 10:08 am

I am a 4 I used Oyin when I first BC'd it was okay, My fav line so far has been Qhelmet, I love love I love you ccocoa detangling ghee, OMG this stuff will melt away your knots sooo incredibly moisturizing. Hands down this will be the only thing I order from this line. Because I am making my own products at this point. But as far a a great line for type 4. You just can't go wrong. I also used the Alma and Olive Heavy Cream for sets. My hair loved it. It can be a bit olily but I am heavy handed. I also liked their honey bush tea gel, and the Olive and Honey Hydrating Balm. The combo of the gel and balm worked well in the warmer months. The Alma Cream is great for cooler months. The detangling ghee is good year round. I used the Karkady Tea Replenishing Mist I can live without it, it's not really sticky, but I just prefer water to spritz with over a product. It can be used as a good leave in tho. I have not used there pomades, I'm not big into those, nor have I used their cleansing tea.

This by far has been the best line for my type 4a/b hair. And the products go a long way, last summer they ran this huge sale and I still have some left ! I will be ordering the detangling ghee when they run the sale.

I had my share of PJism, now my hair loves basic care shea, aloe vera gel, water, various EO, jojoba, alomnd , castor oil.

I will make some sheaaloe very soon.

I have heard great things about Bee mine curly custart. I am using the senstive growth spray and it's okay so far.

My thing is this, if I can make some of my products and my responds well. Then I will save some money, plus it's fun.

Best Wishes
agore07
agore07

Back to top Go down

Post by agore07 28th April 2010, 10:09 am

Oh and coconut oil !!! Very Happy
agore07
agore07

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 28th April 2010, 10:14 am

@agore07, i cosign with that detangling ghee! i will be posting an article on the product
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 28th April 2010, 10:28 am

I have the Ghee but have no idea what to do with it. How do you guys use it?
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 28th April 2010, 10:35 am

Juices-n-Berries wrote:I have the Ghee but have no idea what to do with it. How do you guys use it?

i use it to moisturize my hair when i have it in a puff (especially the ends) or when it is close to wash day n i need help detangling a couple of strands. it works better the longer you leave it in: the knots just slip right out
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by agore07 28th April 2010, 10:40 am

@JNB- hey, I use mine as a moitrizer/detangler after I co wash/wash. okay for example. I detangle my hair dry, set in twist, do my cowash, dc all in twist or braids. now it's time to style, so I take an individual twist lose, spritz it with a leave in (my aloe mix) take my cocoa ghee, put it on then , use my goody wide tooth from tip to root to detangle. It serves to detangle and it moisturize like no body's business ! you can even twist at this point. but I add my winter shea mix (shea/castor oil) on top to twist. Before I started using my own shea mix, I would simply use the Alma and Olive on top, but not to much, or you can use the hydrating balm or gel on top, the key is that the ghee alone is so moisturizing and it's a cream you don't have to use anything if you don't want, but with type 4 hair, locking in the moisture is a necessity.

So essentially I use it during the styling stage and a little goes a long way. I wouldn't suggest, putting a glob in your hands and running it through your hair, I wouldn't want to waste it. Even if you wear your hair lose, I would take on section at a time with this good stuff.

Hope that helps
agore07
agore07

Back to top Go down

Post by agore07 28th April 2010, 10:45 am

I also diddo with dajewel said as well, I will use it on my ends during the week or if I have a little problem area, I will use it to melt the knots. But I generally use it on my sets.

Right now I am loving Jane Carter nourish and shine to keep ends moist during the week and for puffs. I just love the shine and the smell OMG. But my favorite thus far is the ghee, it just sets you up really good for the week. Can't wait for the sale ! I mean I am using it sparingly, I only have enough for one set at this point, maybe not even that.
agore07
agore07

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlz of Luv 28th April 2010, 10:51 am

I am also a 4b. I did my BC on 11-03-09. I have tried Bee Mine and Qhemets. The Bee Mine works very good on my girls hair but not as much on mine. My hair is really dry from relaxing so long. My girls (5 and 7) have always been natural and they have a greater mix of 3 and 4 hair. Qhemets amla and olive heavy cream was great on my hair. It definitely helped rid my hair of alot of dryness and I will be purchasing again. However it did not give much hold. I also purchased the Burdock Root Creme and I think it was the Honeybush tea soft gel, they were good but worked better on my girls hair then mine.

For hold the best think I have found is the IC fantasia olive oil gel and curly nikki's setting lotion mix. Here is the link..http://www.curlynikki.com/2009/11/trying-out-new-product-combination.html

HTH!
Curlz of Luv
Curlz of Luv

http://curlsofluv.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 28th April 2010, 1:25 pm

ooooh cant wait for the qhemet sale!! i had the sample size burdock root creme and i WILL be upgrading that, doesnt do much hold for me so im pairing it w/the honeybush tea gel. its a watery type consistency but it gets the job done and when u pair it with the olive n honey balm..POW-BOOM-BAM!!! its a winner!! im definitely gonna try the ghee this time too! im so ready...

my 4 type loves anything THICK...i need thick products and moisture BAAAD!! i spritz in the am and pm w/ my oil n water spritz. protective styles are doin wonders in me retaining moistures. i prefer my cd milk over kbb now cuz its thicker. My fave DC's are: MJ rapid recovery, kbb hair mask and cd tui smoothie; definitely have to have HE HH for my condish on deck!! the eco gel has never failed me either!! oh wait...the kbb butter and creme definitely moisturizes as well. i havent even gotten around to makin my own butters YET!!
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 28th April 2010, 2:02 pm

After cowashing my hair, I shingle Curls' Curl Souffle in small sections of hair and seal with castor oil. That's all I need is the castor oil because it leaves my hair feeling hydrated for days. Any bantu knots I may do at night involve my whipped shea butter on dry hair while concentrating on the ends.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 28th April 2010, 3:28 pm

agore07 wrote:@JNB- hey, I use mine as a moitrizer/detangler after I co wash/wash. okay for example. I detangle my hair dry, set in twist, do my cowash, dc all in twist or braids. now it's time to style, so I take an individual twist lose, spritz it with a leave in (my aloe mix) take my cocoa ghee, put it on then , use my goody wide tooth from tip to root to detangle. It serves to detangle and it moisturize like no body's business ! you can even twist at this point. but I add my winter shea mix (shea/castor oil) on top to twist. Before I started using my own shea mix, I would simply use the Alma and Olive on top, but not to much, or you can use the hydrating balm or gel on top, the key is that the ghee alone is so moisturizing and it's a cream you don't have to use anything if you don't want, but with type 4 hair, locking in the moisture is a necessity.

So essentially I use it during the styling stage and a little goes a long way. I wouldn't suggest, putting a glob in your hands and running it through your hair, I wouldn't want to waste it. Even if you wear your hair lose, I would take on section at a time with this good stuff.

Hope that helps

Thanks sooooooo much on your detailed description on how you use the product. I now feel confident I can figure it out now. I'm gonna have to start asking you about stuff more often. Lol. Don't be surprised if you see some PMs from me. Lol.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 28th April 2010, 3:29 pm

dajewel wrote:
Juices-n-Berries wrote:I have the Ghee but have no idea what to do with it. How do you guys use it?

i use it to moisturize my hair when i have it in a puff (especially the ends) or when it is close to wash day n i need help detangling a couple of strands. it works better the longer you leave it in: the knots just slip right out

Ok, I think that was my problem last time. I just ran it through my hair all over and didn't let it sit long enough to feel the effects. Thanks
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 28th April 2010, 3:30 pm

I think I'm going to order some of this Honeybush Tea Gel, but I'd like some advice on that too... *waits quitely* lol
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by Born2BeMe 28th April 2010, 3:41 pm

The gels make my hair hard and I don't like that. Maybe I need to use a different product under it? I am disappointed to hear such mediocre reviews of Oyin. Hopefully it won't be too bad.

I used Darcy's Botanicals Madagascar Vanilla styling creme last night
to twist on damp hair and it definitely doesn't hold any style. It's just a moisturizer and one that I would probably use daily (if needed) since it really isn't heavy at all. Glad I didn't pay for it.

I concur with you all in that our 4 hair definitely requires heavier cremes. I have made a Shea butter mix as well and its definitely a good heavy product but the problem is I need hold. I even tried Lily of the Valley 99% natural aloe vera gel, but it was like putting water on my hair---no hold whatsoever [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] .

I'm really not trying to become a product junkie esp. since I HATE wasting my money, but I gotta find good products and develop a stable regimen.

Thank you all for your responses. I guess I will definitely be checking
out Qhemet on May 7th. On the list are Cocoa Detangling Ghee, Amla
& Olive Heavy Cream, Honeybrush Tea Soft Gel, and Olive and Honey
Hydrating Balm--all 2oz. of course.
So the hunt continues... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Born2BeMe
Born2BeMe

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 28th April 2010, 3:48 pm

@Aanwyn exactly what type of style are you trying to do. In my experience, type 4 hair is pretty stay put and doesn't need much to keep it together. Although, I would like to get a more defined twist out.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by Born2BeMe 28th April 2010, 3:51 pm

Yea...more defined twist/braid out is what I am trying to do. I mean my hair is moisturized but the definition will be gone in a few hours.
Born2BeMe
Born2BeMe

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 28th April 2010, 3:55 pm

I understand, all my styles seem to go whooosh and turn into a fro by day 3. Lol.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by Born2BeMe 28th April 2010, 3:59 pm

Lol...at least you get 3 days!
Born2BeMe
Born2BeMe

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 28th April 2010, 4:17 pm

Check my Bnb thread. Started out as a twistout, turned into a chunky fro. But I actually kinda dig it. I'm gonna let my hair do it's own thing more often.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by QuietButterfly 28th April 2010, 5:36 pm

Hey ladies, I'm in the type 4 category as well. As far as cleansing and conditioning goes I use Giovanni Smooth as Silk shampoo and conditioner and Giovanni Direct Leave-In, sometimes I switch out and use Kinky Curly Shampoo and Conditioner. I just started deep conditioning with ORS Replenishing Conditioner (its thick) and I love it!!

I've been using Miss Jessies Curly Buttercreme for my twists, I seal my ends with a mix of castor, jojoba and coconut oil. I usually leave my twists in for at least 2 weeks, then I do a twist out. I also get about 3 days in before it starts expanding and turning into a wild fro, but i like it though, lol, so it doesn't bother me [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I did some big chunky twists last night using MJ Baby Buttercreme, twisted out this morning and my hair is pretty defined. I've also used Cantu leave-in conditioner mixed with jojoba oil for past twist outs, and those came out pretty defined as well.
QuietButterfly
QuietButterfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next