CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Twist out

+11
sweetdrk1
SpringCurls
Curlz of Luv
dajewel
Erica5417
Lynnieluve
Born2BeMe
poeticlyspkng
Daretobecurly
ChrsLvsBks
lovelyk
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Twist out Empty Twist out

Post by lovelyk 27th April 2010, 1:32 pm

I have tried twist outs on dry and wet hair using Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Milk and shea butter mixed with coconut oil. When I take the twists out, it just looks like a frizzy mess. Any suggestions on how to make the twists look more defined and less frizzy?
lovelyk
lovelyk

Back to top Go down

Twist out Empty Re: Twist out

Post by ChrsLvsBks 27th April 2010, 1:55 pm

First, I love your avatar.

Second, I have a few questions to try to help you. Do you twist wet, dry or damp? Do you saturate your hair with product? Do you ensure your hair is dry before untwisting? Do you place oil/butter on hands before undoing?
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lovelyk 27th April 2010, 3:35 pm

Thank you! I saw your avatar on another post and was admiring your hair. I'm hoping to grow my own hair that long.
I have tried doing the twists on both dry and wet hair, never tried damp though. I haven't tried untwisting with the oil on my hands, but I have tried it using Biosilk. Should I try oil while unraveling instead? Oh, I put a little product on each section and brush it through with a denman before twisting.
lovelyk
lovelyk

Back to top Go down

Post by Daretobecurly 27th April 2010, 4:38 pm

My hair is about the length of yours and maybe yours a little longer. But I usually do my twist on dry hair, but right before I twist each section I spritz it with some Juices N Berries or water and Glycerin. Then I use some Oyin Whipped Pudding (Shea Butter) and twist. I had to use a creamy product on my hair for my twist out to look right. In the morning I add a little oil to finger tips and untwist. I dont like to go back and unravel my hair more than once or twice. So to fill in the spaces I use a pick to pick out just the roots of my hair. Hope this helps.
Daretobecurly
Daretobecurly

http://www.chicrings.etsy.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Daretobecurly 27th April 2010, 4:44 pm

I forgot to mention I flat twist my hair as well, it seems to hold the curls better.
Daretobecurly
Daretobecurly

http://www.chicrings.etsy.com

Back to top Go down

Post by poeticlyspkng 27th April 2010, 4:58 pm

I myself can't seem to get much hold just using moisturizer and shea so I always use a gel like ecostyler or of late- Curls Goddess Gel. That stuff works fabulous for me! Have you tried a gel yet?
poeticlyspkng
poeticlyspkng

http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/the-curl-street-journal-f14

Back to top Go down

Post by lovelyk 27th April 2010, 5:25 pm

Daretobe curly I haven't tried spritzing my hair before twisting. I will keep that in mind. No, poeticlyspkng I haven't tried using gel either, so I will definitly try that too. The eco gel really works well in my hair for hold.
lovelyk
lovelyk

Back to top Go down

Post by Born2BeMe 27th April 2010, 7:06 pm

I think you just need to use a product with some hold power to it. I tried twisting w/ just Shea butter as well and you do end up with a frizzy mess. I twist on damp hair. And an oil on your hands when untwisting would definitely be helpful to reduce friction between your hands and your hair. HTH
Born2BeMe
Born2BeMe

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 27th April 2010, 7:16 pm

The key to the perfect twist out is a product with hold and being very gentle with your hair when you are unraveling your twist. I untwist my twist in the opposite direction. The twist will make a opening near the root and your separate from there. I hope I this makes sense.

I untwist and maybe separate once. I slightly pick the roots to cover the parts.

Come back and let us know how it goes!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Erica5417 27th April 2010, 7:18 pm

Try sealing when you twist. Wet or dry, I use a water based conditioner, oil and then a butter. Like the others, I use a pick for the roots only.
Erica5417
Erica5417

http://ericathurman.ennoir.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 28th April 2010, 10:23 am

also, u can use a conditioner as a leave-in along with ur twist mix. i use giovanni 50:50 hydrating balancing conditioner n the ingredients work like a charm giving me completely smooth, frizz free twists on my first and second days
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlz of Luv 28th April 2010, 10:39 am

I recently did my best twist out ever. I have 4b hair. My hair was dry and I remoistened with Curly Nikki's setting lotion.
Here is the link http://www.curlynikki.com/2009/11/trying-out-new-product-combination.html
I then applied some Carol's daughter healthy hair butter to my scalp because it was feeling dry. I then used my detangling comb. I then put some IC fantasia gel with olive oil on my ends and did my twist. They weren't completely dry in the morning so I used the blow dryer to dry those spots by just passing it over the area several times. I used sweet almond oil to untwist in the opposite directions like Lynnieluve said. They looked great the next day. It lasted a couple of days it probably would have lasted it longer but I got caught in the rain and it started to frizz a lit too much for me.
Curlz of Luv
Curlz of Luv

http://curlsofluv.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SpringCurls 28th April 2010, 7:51 pm

Hey Lovelyk, have you tried altering the size of your twists?
SpringCurls
SpringCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by lovelyk 30th April 2010, 12:18 pm

I'm getting some really good ideas, Thanks everyone! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

@dajewel- I have heard that the giovanni products are really good, but I am already a product junki and trying not to buy anything else, but I will keep that in mind.

@ springcurls- I don't really pay that much attention to the size of the twists. What is the ideal size, I mean is it possible that I'll have less frizz if I make them bigger or smaller?
lovelyk
lovelyk

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 30th April 2010, 9:16 pm

I see the Curlies ran to the rescue, I love this forum! Please post pics of your next twist.
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by C. 30th April 2010, 10:16 pm

@lovelyk,

the size of the twists do matter. if your hair is kinda short you should make them relatively small so that you have more definition and so they wont unravel. our hair is about the same length and i make them about the size of a pencil or a little larger.

hope this helps :-)

C.

Back to top Go down

Post by SpringCurls 30th April 2010, 11:19 pm

I agree with Kinda_curly Smile When I did my first twist out my twists were too large and the next time I made them a bit smaller (but not teeny tiny) and my twists were more defined and less frizzy. I think the size I go for now is medium. I hope this helps!
SpringCurls
SpringCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by ftiffrenee 1st May 2010, 10:29 am

Yes you ladies have some good suggestions. I love twist and braidouts and the key for me is to make the twist relatively small. It takes me about an hour to twist mine because I don't want to rush through it and pay for it with frizz the next day. It will require more time but it's well worth it! I use ORS Lock and twist gel and it works wonders just enough hold. Post pics when you try it again..:-)
ftiffrenee
ftiffrenee

http://www.fotki.com/ftiffrenee

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 1st May 2010, 10:45 am

Just heading on over to the Twist Challenge.

I get the best definition on wet hair. I apply a leave-in, oil, butter and gel and twist. I let them completey dry and use Jojoba oil when unraveling from root to tip. Look for natural separation at root where you begin twisting unravel from there. You can then separate again if you want - depends on how large your twists are.

I use Koils By Nature Butter and the KBN Gel. I get awesome definition and hold.
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by lovelyk 1st May 2010, 9:00 pm

Ok, sounds like I most def need to use smaller twists. I have to admit that I was a bit lazy while twisting because my hair is really thick. I will attempt another twist out and post pics if it comes out right [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] .
Thanks again ladies for all of the suggestions!
lovelyk
lovelyk

Back to top Go down

Post by lovelyk 2nd May 2010, 11:16 pm

Twist out came out really good. I still had a
little frizz, but not as much as I used to. I used smaller twists and a
blend of shea, coconut oil and eco gel. I used coconut oil to
unravel. I wasn't happy with how the front came out, so I threw on a
headband.

Not sure of how to post a pic, will post as soon as I figure it out. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
lovelyk
lovelyk

Back to top Go down

Post by lovelyk 3rd May 2010, 11:04 pm

I think that think that I'm posting these pics right...

https://servimg.com/images.php?cat_id=1&130660
lovelyk
lovelyk

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 3rd May 2010, 11:09 pm

Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by lovelyk 4th May 2010, 10:24 pm

Thanks Lynnieluve!