CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 Months Post Relaxer

+43
prettyporsche_
pretty,Pleaseee
CurlsofGlory
Butterfly125
MsNellaBella
jazzwife
ThatGirl!
NaturallySonja
faithscurls
KimmyBoo
Mrs.Billups1
meka_g
Alistar
mebrown96
Tranquility
Laceebia
JuneEllieJ
DalsD
ReRe71
songbird
JossBella
curl_Gurl
jadore04
DivaKaye09
sophisticatedbeauty
BeautifullyMehh
AllaNatural
DEE DUBB
TiffNotANY
swoodward
ANEWME
CrissyQ
Pinkpearls
michelle
mrsmackey
freckledmom4
Treece
prettyprecious
Blex
Luxe
letha
amourabunny
*CurlyNikki*
47 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

4 Months Post Relaxer - Page 3 Empty Re: 4 months post relaxer

Post by mebrown96 18th August 2010, 3:18 pm

I am new to the forum but have been checking out this site for quite sometime. Today I am officially 4 months post relaxer Very Happy . This has been quite the journey for me. I have been do lots of research, bought tons of products (shea butter, Aloe vera gel, ECO styler, EVOO) and read Curly Girly before breaking down and deciding to transition with microbraids and sengalese twists. I decided to try with the braids for a while because I wanted to have a good amount of length before I bc and my hair was super short in the back making it a challenge for me to work with. Plus I am hoping to get back into working and and the humidity is not very forgiving. I am hoping to keep these twists for 2-3 months and then cut off 1 inch of relaxed hair. I am very excited about this process, my husband and family have been very supportive and I can't wait to see the end result Very Happy .

mebrown96

Back to top Go down

4 Months Post Relaxer - Page 3 Empty Re: 4 Months Post Relaxer

Post by Alistar 21st August 2010, 9:40 am

I'm @ about four months now. When I went to the hairdreser yesterday, I guess she's realising I'm taking this seriously now Wink
When I steamed and set my hair there's like and inch to and inch and a half of new growth...well at the front at least. For styling I usually just use conditioning gel the slick it down and do a headband or do a twist out when ends start to curl up.
I still have problems with frizzy ends though.
I use this polishing thing from Organic Root Stimulator, their mosturiser and Soft and Beautiful 3n1 Botanic Oil.
My hair is breaking and there are some split ends. I'll try to trim next time I see her. I really want to hold onto the length for a WHILE. SO you guys have any tips on evening looks??
My hairdresser is alos noticing my dry scalp and I have to watch my diet. Any suggestions ladies????
Alistar
Alistar

https://www.facebook.com/Aly.Med

Back to top Go down

Post by Tranquility 24th August 2010, 12:21 pm

Hello Ladies,

Today marks my 4th month of withdrawal from the creamy crack! I am both excited and nervous! I actually measured my new growth today....3 inches! YAY! While I have a long way to go, I am feeling pretty good with my decision.

Product update: I purchased the Giovanni shampoo and conditioner. However, it was not good for my hair (now, I am stuck with huge size products I cannot use - ugh!). It actually made it feel hard. So, then I purchased the SheaMoisture products. They worked much better, but I needed to learn not to use all products at the same time....I was desperate for some moisture and curl so I got carried away! LOL! I have been co-washing with Hello Hydration conditioner, adding olive oil and spraying with the SheaMoisture Elixar. So far, so good!

Please pray my strength through this journey. Who would have thought it would be so difficult to return to nature!
Tranquility
Tranquility

Back to top Go down

Post by meka_g 26th August 2010, 8:30 pm

Hey Ladies!
I reached the 4 month mark on Aug. 16! Yay Me! Some days are good, some days are not so good, but I'm definitely not giving up. I absolutely love Suave humectant condish! It makes my hair super soft. I've used Giovanni TT shampoo 3 times. The last two times it made my hair feel very dry. I bought SheaMoisture shampoo but I haven't tried it yet. I usually just cowash once or twice a week with suave or organics tea tree mint condish. I plan on getting senegalese twist next Saturday because honestly I want a break from detangling and styling. And have any of you tried a press n' curl? I want to get one but not if it will cause heat damage.

P.S.* Good luck ladies! woot!
meka_g
meka_g

Back to top Go down

Post by Tranquility 27th August 2010, 10:32 am

Hello All,

It seems that my hair has split personalities. The right side is curlier and softer; the left, front side is courser with very little wave; the back left back is straight! How do I care for all of its personas? I have taken photos of all sides, but have not yet mastered how to post them...

Also, I think I discovered a routine that is working so far: co-wash with hello hydration; use sheamoisture curl enhancing smoothie all over and while "scrunching" the ends; apply coconut oil; and once styled, apply sheamoisture elixir. However, I am open to suggestions on how to make my hair bounce and behave!
Tranquility
Tranquility

Back to top Go down

4 Months Post Relaxer - Page 3 Empty 4 MONTHS POST RELAXER

Post by Mrs.Billups1 30th August 2010, 8:29 pm

Hello All.
I have been looking at CN site for about a month but just recently decided to join and comment. I am newly transitioning. I wanted to go natural for a while but lack of knowledge and scared of the unknown held me back. My hair began to thin in the crown area a few years ago. I thought it was because I was relaxing my hair myself so I stopped doing that and only allowed my beautician to do it. I also stopped coloring my hair. My hair became healthier but it didnt grow the thinning areas. I stopped putting so much heat on my hair, using a satin bonnet, deep conditioning and that didnt seem to work either. I tried all kinds of things that promised to grow hair and none of it worked. I got checked out by my doctor and all things checked out. No medical problems. Sooo. I said forget this, I'm going natural. My last relaxer was April 2010. It has definitely been frustrating but also interesting learning how to care for my hair. I can not wait until I am 100% natural and can see my true hair texture. I am not ready to BC yet. I want to grow my hair out more. I did cut about 2 inches off last month to get rid of some of these relaxed ends. (UGH!!) I enjoy reading and learning things from this site and others. Here are a few pics of me. Some are my hair relaxed, some are of me in transition. Smile Well for some reason my pics wont post. Will try again.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Mrs.Billups1 on 31st August 2010, 4:04 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : pics wont post/pics posted!!8-))
Mrs.Billups1
Mrs.Billups1

Back to top Go down

Post by KimmyBoo 13th September 2010, 10:20 pm

Hi everyone..I've been on here 2 months, but this is my 1st post. Starting off, my journey was going quite well, but now my permed hair is becoming very thin & falling out rather quickly. I've already come to realize that it won't be long until my hair is a TWA. But in the meantime, what would be the best style for me to wear. I've been perm rodding it, but it's not turning out as cute as it use to. Please help, thx!
KimmyBoo
KimmyBoo

Back to top Go down

4 Months Post Relaxer - Page 3 Empty About 4 months...

Post by faithscurls 16th October 2010, 6:15 am

Hi ladies!!! I am about four months into my transitioning. I normally wear my hair in a bun because I'm in the active Army. Any who... I was wondering if any of you have used Dr. Miracles anti-breakage strengthening cream? I used it before while relaxing but not since I've begin transitioning heck even longer. I read the ingredients (something I do all the time now) and they seem pretty good. I am still learning. This morning after duty I plan on doing my first pre-poo with Hot 6 Oil followed by a wash and condition. To find my routine I am going through product after product. I didn't like Carol's Daughter Hair Mimosa because it caused build up--reason for my was and not co wash today :-(. I do love the co washes though! Absolutely love. Work is calling I will post again later. Tootlez!!!

faithscurls

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturallySonja 18th October 2010, 4:38 pm

Re: 4 Months Post Relaxer
by KimmyBoo on 13th September 2010, 8:20 pm

Hi everyone..I've been on here 2 months, but this is my 1st post. Starting off, my journey was going quite well, but now my permed hair is becoming very thin & falling out rather quickly. I've already come to realize that it won't be long until my hair is a TWA. But in the meantime, what would be the best style for me to wear. I've been perm rodding it, but it's not turning out as cute as it use to. Please help, thx!

Try to use different products on your relaxed and natural hair. I also have four months new growth and using a multitude of products have definitely helped. Also, was the relaxed portion of your hair dramatically damaged before you started your transition? If it was that may be the reason you have to BC it earlier than expected. Try braiding styles for a transitioning style.
NaturallySonja
NaturallySonja

Back to top Go down

4 Months Post Relaxer - Page 3 Empty 4 months transitioning

Post by ThatGirl! 21st October 2010, 12:37 pm

I am 4 months transitioning and my hair is looking a mess. I have never been good with styling my hair even with a fresh relaxer. I always just threw it in a ponytail unless it was freshly done and then I would wear it done for about a week or so until it started looking bad again. Plus I workout most days and that is not helping. The only time that I have been good at styling my hair is when it was Halle Berry short (and it still was high maintenance). Now it is BSL and it is looking dry. I am toying with the idea of doing a big chop and I have toyed with it for years but have never had the nerve to do it even though I love short hair and I think I look better with short hair. On the other hand I would love to grow my hair long and natural but that is going to take at least 2 1/2 to 3 years to get back to BSL. I really need to take control of my hair because as we all no when you hair looks bad you feel bad. Any advice?

ThatGirl!

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturallySonja 22nd October 2010, 4:54 pm

Hello Natural Hair Divas,

I'm so happy to report that today is my 4 month Natural-versary. dance

I've noticed that my new growth/natural hair loves ORS shea butter lotion, Motions Scalp Oil (use lightly) I'm also happy to have discovered that my hair loves Herbal Essences Hello Hydration conditioner for my co-washes as I live an active lifestyle and I work out 3-4 days a week. I'm trying not to become a PJ but I think I'll have to make a trip to Whole Foods and Target just to "look". Wink

My primary transition style is to wash and rod set and it's working well for me (love the curly fro). I plan to get braids before my family vacation due to exercise and exposure to salt and chlorinated water (extra protection) and to give my hair a break from the rods and other manipulation.

I wish you all luck in your transition.

Peace, Kinks, and Curls,
NaturallySonja
NaturallySonja

Back to top Go down

Post by jazzwife 23rd October 2010, 10:49 am

Hey @NaturallySonja, I am at 4 months now also! Are you using that new Motions Marula Oil? I have used it a couple times but don't really know if my scalp/hair loves it or not.

I don't really have a transition style yet. I've tried braid outs, twist outs, bunning - but really haven't found anything I love yet. LOL, I am too lazy to do any kind of sets to my hair! I am trying to get back into working out and besides braids, I am not sure the best way to take care of my hair while sweating it out constantly!

I am not planning on BCing, probably minor trims until the relaxed ends are gone. If all goes well, I'll be able to stick it out for 2 years, but I am really impulsive so that probably won't last!

Happy journey!
jazzwife
jazzwife

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturallySonja 23rd October 2010, 12:20 pm

jazzwife wrote:Hey @NaturallySonja, I am at 4 months now also! Are you using that new Motions Marula Oil? I have used it a couple times but don't really know if my scalp/hair loves it or not.

I don't really have a transition style yet. I've tried braid outs, twist outs, bunning - but really haven't found anything I love yet. LOL, I am too lazy to do any kind of sets to my hair! I am trying to get back into working out and besides braids, I am not sure the best way to take care of my hair while sweating it out constantly!

I am not planning on BCing, probably minor trims until the relaxed ends are gone. If all goes well, I'll be able to stick it out for 2 years, but I am really impulsive so that probably won't last!

Happy journey!

@jazzwife Yes, it is Motions Marula Oil. I too work out 3-4 times a week and what helps me is using a scarf designed specifically for workouts so that my scalp can breath. It also helps absorb the sweat that accumulates near the scalp line. I also apply an oil to my new growth after I shower so that it doesn't dry out from the sweat until I co-wash my hair (typically a day or 2 days afterward). I haven't tried braids yet but a natural hair stylist advised me that braids would be one the best protective styles for me during my transition because of my active lifestyle. If you find another style besides braids please let me know because sometimes I do get frustrated.I haven't tried bantu knots and twistouts but I will certainly try these in the place of the rod set just to switch it up.

Have a great day and thanks
NaturallySonja
NaturallySonja

Back to top Go down

Post by jazzwife 23rd October 2010, 3:48 pm

@Sonja, it'll be great to have someone to 'walk' with on this journey if you don't mind... how long do you plan on transitioning?
jazzwife
jazzwife

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturallySonja 23rd October 2010, 5:20 pm

jazzwife wrote:@Sonja, it'll be great to have someone to 'walk' with on this journey if you don't mind... how long do you plan on transitioning?

@jazzwife That would be great and thanks for the support!

I plan on transitioning for at least 6 months but I've been looking at a lot of the naturalistas BC's and I'm tempted to do it sooner. I don't think so though being that the holidays/winter are close (even in LA). Maybe in the spring time so that should give me 6-8 months to have enough new growth to have a slightly medium afro/curls so that I can use headbands and other cute accessories. I'm trying to be patient so your help is greatly appreciated.

Thx!!!!
NaturallySonja
NaturallySonja

Back to top Go down

Post by jazzwife 23rd October 2010, 9:08 pm

@Sonja... No prob, thank YOU! Have you tried the Cantu Shea products? At first it seemed like everyone here and on YT was raving about it, and then I saw that post about which products failed and it was mentioned A LOT. I was pretty upset since I finally bought it the day BEFORE at Walmart to try! I usually don't spend money on my PJism... I haven't tried it yet, but I am scared to try it and hate it.

Forgive me if I don't always quote before replying, I've just never done it. I've never been a forum person... until now.

Do you have a fotki or anything?
jazzwife
jazzwife

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturallySonja 23rd October 2010, 10:46 pm

jazzwife wrote:@Sonja... No prob, thank YOU! Have you tried the Cantu Shea products? At first it seemed like everyone here and on YT was raving about it, and then I saw that post about which products failed and it was mentioned A LOT. I was pretty upset since I finally bought it the day BEFORE at Walmart to try! I usually don't spend money on my PJism... I haven't tried it yet, but I am scared to try it and hate it.

Forgive me if I don't always quote before replying, I've just never done it. I've never been a forum person... until now.

Do you have a fotki or anything?

@jazzwife Don't feel alone because I'm not a forum person either. I just realized how to "quote" myself. Smile

No, I don't have a fotki and I've recently visited the fotki.com site today viewing transition styles of those listed on CurlyNikki.com.

The Cantu Shea products are great, though I must admit the first time I used them it seemed to make my hair dry. NOT! It made my relaxed hair dry and brought out the curl and moisture in my new growth. Now it works on both (though I do treat my relaxed ends like a red-haired step-child). Rolling Eyes

Oh, I also used the Motions Matura Strengthening Thermal Oil Strengthening Treatment today along with a two strand twist out with Vitamin E Oil and ORS Lock and Twist Gel and ORS Heat Protection Serum with fabulous results so now I feel a lot better about not making the BC too soon. I have to post pics of this soon because I was able to take pics with my phone afterwards. While I applied the Matura Thermal Oil (and even afterwards) it really brought out my curly/wavy pattern and I was ecstatic. run

Though I didn't use the Cantu Shea Butter products today it is one of my go tos for the perm rod set and will continue to be. I also have the Cantu Hair Silk serum which helps to de-frizz my curls when I take the rods (cold wave) out of my hair.

I also viewed the infamous product failure list and noticed the Kinky Curly Curling Custard (KCCC) was mentioned a lot so I'm very hesitant to use that particular product. I cannot stress how some products work for some but not for others so I really hope these products work for you as well.

Have a great evening!

Peace and Currrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrls! afro
NaturallySonja
NaturallySonja

Back to top Go down

Post by jazzwife 24th October 2010, 4:41 pm

@NS - Thank you for the heads up on the Cantu products, whenever I'm up to washing I'll try it and see (which will hopefully be today).

I know someone that told me about KCCC before I was ever considering transitioning, and it was the only thing that really did wonders for her hair. I never really wanted to try it until I was fully natural and can rock a really sexy wash and go :-)

You are absolutely right, though - everyone is different. I try to remember that, but it is SO hard not to try and get whatever product everyone raves about.

I did a bun this morning for church, because I haven't touched my hair since I got back from the hospital on Thursday - so my bun was a frizzy mess. lol.

I want to DC, but I'm not sure if I have the energy.

Do you sometimes consider DCing and pre-pooing way too similar? I'm just asking because when I wrote the previous sentence, I was like,"Did I mean pre-poo?" LOL. The point is - I'm going to put some moisturizing products in my hair for a while before I wash it! Ha!

Hope you're having a fabulous day! woot!
jazzwife
jazzwife

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturallySonja 26th October 2010, 11:42 am

JW I do consider them similar though I haven't tried to pre poo my hair yet. It sounds interesting with all the oils used. Surprised Has pre pooing worked well for you?

I also hope that all is well since your return from the hospital. [img][/img]
NaturallySonja
NaturallySonja

Back to top Go down

Post by jazzwife 26th October 2010, 12:10 pm

I did a olive oil/honey pre-poo before, I really didn't notice anything spectacular. Last night I did coconut oil and I haven't washed it out yet so I'll let you know.

I still have no clue what to do with my hair after I wash it out. I am thinking of letting it dry to about 80% then doing sorta small twists and hopefully style those for a week. I am just concerned they'll look thin and limp. Hahaha, can you tell I HATE my relaxed ends?
jazzwife
jazzwife

Back to top Go down

Post by MsNellaBella 27th October 2010, 2:44 pm

I am approaching 5 months transitioning, and adjusting to the amount of time it takes for my new hair regimen. I was very lazy with all relaxed hair. I just wrapped it at night and brushed it down in the morning. But that routine was so boring tongue. This website has been God sent. I have been having fun finding ways to blend my 2 textures.

My biggest problem is my very itchy scalp. Does anyone have any product or regimen recommendations that can help?

MsNellaBella
MsNellaBella

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly125 4th November 2010, 3:20 pm

Jazzwife, you said it...I am sooooo frustrated with my permed ends, I don't know how how I'm going to make it on this long transition that I planned...lol. I have to co-wash often but every tiime I do, I have to deal with those ends, but at the same time, I'm not ready to BC. I guess I'll know when the time is right...right? I find it funny that all those years I tried so hard to force my hair to go against it's natural texturized, curly state, and now I wish with all my might that those ends would just cooperate and CURL! LOL!!!
Butterfly125
Butterfly125

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturallySonja 4th November 2010, 5:11 pm

Good Afternoon Ladies,

I have braids (10/30/10) but now I feel like I'm cheating because I don't have any product or hairstyle stories to share with you. I can't wait to take them out (12/30/10 hopefully) and see all the new growth and rejoin the 6 month transitioning thread! Yay!
NaturallySonja
NaturallySonja

Back to top Go down

Post by jazzwife 5th November 2010, 2:25 am

Great Sonja - that's funny I planned on getting mine braided 2, although not keeping them in as long! Hopefully this weekend :-) Please take pictures.

@ Butterfly - I was telling my husband how funny it is that while relaxing the new growth is the enemy and how now how the tables have turned! it is amazing! I am with you, I am definitely not ready to BC (although some days I am tempted). I am hoping braids can keep the urge at bay!

Happy journey ladies :-)
jazzwife
jazzwife

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsofGlory 21st November 2010, 5:44 pm

YEAH!! I've made it this far. I do wish I could just cut off these permed ends, but just 6 more months to go!
CurlsofGlory
CurlsofGlory

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next