CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crisco... In the name of nappy science, I will sacrifice myself.

+23
letha
Ms.Mai
Umph
lovinmycurls88
sonance
Cnicoles6
Naturally Nu*
EmpressBeloved
Hazelbabe
justicenga
HappyCurly
FreshNsweeT
CurlsGalore
agore07
brownsugar09
sjoyreed
Peachtree
Juices-n-Berries
MicaiahTy
DreamMerchant
naturallyKey
popsbaby
27 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Crisco... In the name of nappy science, I will sacrifice myself. Empty Crisco... In the name of nappy science, I will sacrifice myself.

Post by popsbaby 22nd April 2010, 8:53 pm

Someone posted today about using Crisco as a moisturizer/sealant. So I did some research and there are nothing but rave reviews online. I don't mind investing a whopping $2.00 in the name of research. Once I BC on May 14th, I'll give it a go.
popsbaby
popsbaby

Back to top Go down

Crisco... In the name of nappy science, I will sacrifice myself. Empty Re: Crisco... In the name of nappy science, I will sacrifice myself.

Post by naturallyKey 22nd April 2010, 10:27 pm

yes girl trust me it works! lol....but add something to give it a nice smell.
naturallyKey
naturallyKey

http://naturallykeyz.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Crisco... In the name of nappy science, I will sacrifice myself. Empty Re: Crisco... In the name of nappy science, I will sacrifice myself.

Post by DreamMerchant 22nd April 2010, 11:37 pm

Isn't Criso just a solid veggie oil? Hmmm, I need to go investigate!
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Post by popsbaby 22nd April 2010, 11:44 pm

Yes ma'am, it is.
popsbaby
popsbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by popsbaby 25th April 2010, 1:10 pm

I just bought some Crisco. I mixed it with some Hot Six Oil for scent and added benefits. I'm gonna try it on my body first. I'll keep ya'll posted.
popsbaby
popsbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by MicaiahTy 27th April 2010, 1:45 pm

Lawd Jesus,

You all are cracking me up.. (note to self, get crisco)

Off to wally world as we speak.
MicaiahTy
MicaiahTy

https://www.youtube.com/micaiahty

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 28th April 2010, 12:56 am

Let me know the results. I find this very interesting.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by popsbaby 29th April 2010, 9:32 pm

Hi Ladies~
So I have been using the Crisco on my body. It is very smooth.
My feet feel wonderful. I used it on my hair and OMG!!!! Not greasy at all. I think I'm in love.
popsbaby
popsbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachtree 29th April 2010, 10:04 pm

popsbaby28 wrote:Hi Ladies~
So I have been using the Crisco on my body. It is very smooth.
My feet feel wonderful. I used it on my hair and OMG!!!! Not greasy at all. I think I'm in love.

I imagined it to be greasy but was pleasantly surprised when it wasn't. I was visiting my aunt and left my hair bag. Well Crisco came to my rescue (that was years ago though).
Peachtree
Peachtree

Back to top Go down

Post by popsbaby 29th April 2010, 10:36 pm

The shine is ridiculous!!!
popsbaby
popsbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by sjoyreed 29th April 2010, 10:41 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Almost the same thing...
sjoyreed
sjoyreed

Back to top Go down

Post by popsbaby 29th April 2010, 10:47 pm

sjoyreed wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Almost the same thing...

YOWZA!!!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] just read the ingredients link for the Liv Hairdressing Creme:
Water (Aqua), Petrolatum, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidium) , Beeswax, Cetyl Esters, Peg-75 Lanolin, Polisorbate-60, Sodium Borate, Sorbitol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Fragrance (perfume)

Petroleum, Mineral Oil, Lanolin, and paraben: The four signs of the natural hair apocalypse [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] .

NO BUENO!!!
popsbaby
popsbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by brownsugar09 29th April 2010, 11:20 pm

WoW! Can you guys give a description of how you used it? Thanks!
brownsugar09
brownsugar09

Back to top Go down

Post by popsbaby 29th April 2010, 11:36 pm

I use it as a sealant. It smells a little salty so I added some Hot Six Oil for scent. After I wash (co-wash), condition and apply my leave it, I section my hair and apply a teeny tiny bit of Crisco to my hair. A little goes a long way. I put a little extra on my ends. You do not need to put it on your scalp. That about it. It's the best 3 dollars I've spent in a while.
popsbaby
popsbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by agore07 30th April 2010, 12:48 am

popsbaby28 wrote:
sjoyreed wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Almost the same thing...

YOWZA!!!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] just read the ingredients link for the Liv Hairdressing Creme:
Water (Aqua), Petrolatum, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidium) , Beeswax, Cetyl Esters, Peg-75 Lanolin, Polisorbate-60, Sodium Borate, Sorbitol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Fragrance (perfume)

Petroleum, Mineral Oil, Lanolin, and paraben: The four signs of the natural hair apocalypse [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] .

NO BUENO!!!

OMG I put this in my son's hair, this is way before I was natural. I mean this is when he was an infant Shocked it was recommend to give his hair curl def

OMG Rolling Eyes
agore07
agore07

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 30th April 2010, 9:51 pm

Hmmmm....Crisco. You all may be onto something. I may give it a try, too.
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyKey 1st May 2010, 6:17 pm

After I rinse out deep conditioner, I squeeze hair so that's damp and not soaking wet. Apply crisco as a leave-in and sealant, aloe vera gel to hold and t-n-c.

also I just started adding peppermint oil to the crisco to give it a smell i like, but you can add any essential oil you may like.
naturallyKey
naturallyKey

http://naturallykeyz.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by FreshNsweeT 21st June 2010, 4:29 pm

i dont know how i feel about Crisco lol

FreshNsweeT

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyCurly 21st June 2010, 5:11 pm

i've actually thought about this, since i use olive oil. but it's hard to quickly get it into my hair...crisco is in a nice little spray can without all those nasty things to propel it.

does crisco do anythign for hold? and where do you find plain aloe vera gel?

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by justicenga 25th June 2010, 6:39 pm

I used to put Crisco on my son's skin when he was a little baby. He has severe eczema. It was very moisturizing.
justicenga
justicenga

Back to top Go down

Post by * 28th June 2010, 9:46 am

is it the crisco oil or the shortening? thanks

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazelbabe 26th July 2010, 1:43 am

@HappyCurly I would look at the ingredient of the spray crisco before using it. the crisco talked about here is the shortening.

I used some tonight to retwist some of my twist, just testing it out, and they were super shiny but not greasy. I will see what they turn out like in the morning, but I have a good feeling about this. I also sealed by ends with it after I moisturized. I can't wait to twist freshly washed hair with the crisco. I think this definitely will be my go to sealer for winter time.
Hazelbabe
Hazelbabe

Back to top Go down

Post by EmpressBeloved 27th July 2010, 7:22 pm

[quote="justicenga"]I used to put Crisco on my son's skin when he was a little baby. He has severe eczema. It was very mioisturizing.[/quote]
Hi! My son has severe eczema too! Did it clear up the inflammation? I'm curious bcuz I've tried just about evrything on his skin. Right now the only thing that seems to help him better than all the rest is flaxseed oil. How did you apply the Crisco on his skin? Did you melt it first and then applied it as a massage? Or did you just put it on in it's pomade-like form?

To everyone else who've tried it in their hair:
Doesn't the Crisco shortening have an odd smell to it? Also, how does it smell after a couple days, say, if you did your twistouts/braidouts with it?

Last edited by EmpressBeloved on 27th July 2010, 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Misspelled a couple of words; left out a question)
EmpressBeloved
EmpressBeloved

Back to top Go down

Post by justicenga 27th July 2010, 8:31 pm

EmpressBeloved I used it straight out of the container. It kept the area moist. We ended up getting a prescription for elocon.
justicenga
justicenga

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Nu* 28th July 2010, 7:29 am

Say whaaaaaat...lol

ya'll are seriously about to make me go get some of this huh? Hazelbabe..how'd ur twists come out in the morning?
Naturally Nu*
Naturally Nu*

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next