CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oh so you decided to go nappy?!?

+9
BrownSkinDiva
Moni
Pinkrage
HappigocurliJenn
AfrikanLatina
lena73
NikG20
dajewel
PanaR3dd
13 posters

Go down

Oh so you decided to go nappy?!? Empty Oh so you decided to go nappy?!?

Post by PanaR3dd 5th December 2009, 10:04 pm

Que pasa yall..this happened to me yesterday so i just had to share..so im on the phone talking to someone i havent seen in forever and i tell her i cut all my hair off last year and decided to go natural..she falls out laughing and says ohhhhhh so u decided to go nappy..Heffa say what lol..as soon as she said it i felt some type of way!im like no natural you know curly and she says yeah like i said nappy..not to mention i was rockn the best bantu knotout ever and when she called me nappy it kind of hurt my feelings..i guess im so used to the term being a bad thing...i didnt even feel the same way about my knot-out anymore..i know this was childish pero she started it lol...so i told her she would be bald in a few years and im sure her ends were split due to the creamy crack..and i ended the convo with if being nappy means having healthy hair that isnt afraid of water and dependent on something that has chemicals strong enough to melt a can well im happy to be nappy!! hung up the phone then sent her pics of me loving my hair..so ladies how do you feel about being called nappy? Did it take you time to adapt to being called that?Does it offend you or do you embrace it?
PanaR3dd
PanaR3dd

Back to top Go down

Oh so you decided to go nappy?!? Empty Re: Oh so you decided to go nappy?!?

Post by dajewel 5th December 2009, 10:11 pm

one guy that i was talking to a couple of years got taken aback (lmao) when i told him i went natural. he was like "oh, you and dem beady beads" and i was like "and you gonna have the door knob hit you where the send don't shine". i was highly offended because its a misconception that natural heads have beady beads. i don't and i don't even use a comb. see, he met me with my hair pressed. he did say that he prefers straight hair, and i told him i prefer someone who likes the kinks. needless to say, dude has been out of the picture.

he and another person have only referred to my hair in a derogatory way (well, at least to my face). You just gotta know that not everyone is gonna be cool with natural. and for every one person that has something negative to say, there are 10 more that love it. rocky on curly!!
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 5th December 2009, 10:14 pm

I don't like the word nappy. It just seems so degrading. I guess because of the way most people use it. They use it in a negative way. I'm on two private biracial hair care boards and one of them, many of the mothers describe their childrens hair as nappy and it does not sit right with me at all. Then I think of Don Imus with his ignorant comments.

I do plan on checking out the book Happy to be Nappy. I think it's great that people can turn the word around and use it in a positive way...
NikG20
NikG20

http://www.beadsbraidsbeyond.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lena73 6th December 2009, 9:46 am

I like you would feel "some sorta way" if someone called me nappy - I would prolly correct them also and say if nappy means healthy, then so be it.
The only person to come out and say something derogatory to me about my hair was my younger brother...then before he knew it, I had something sharp to say to him also - bout being 29 yrs old, still rocking cornrows... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
@ Nik...I could never go on any board or tell anyone that my child had nappy hair! it almost sounds like that woman who was yelling and screaming at her daughter bc she was crying the way her mom was combing her hair.
such a shame
lena73
lena73

http://public.fotki.com/Sharita73/

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 6th December 2009, 12:48 pm

I guess I'm a little different in that I've learned to embrace the word nappy. I do understand the history behind it and it being used a negative word to describe our hair but I look at it just like I do the words kinky, coily, curly. I'm not offended by the word nappy. I guess also being a member of Nappturality has helped as well. Smile
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Post by HappigocurliJenn 6th December 2009, 12:56 pm

I've haven't been called nappy yet... and I pity the person who does... but the other day I was rockin what I thought to be a big fierce braid out when someone commented that I looked like I was stressed out and what happened (to my hair)? I admit that I was feeling some kinda way and quickly sough the comfort of 2 supportive girlfriends and the never lying mirror. I was over it in no time. Evil or Very Mad
HappigocurliJenn
HappigocurliJenn

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 6th December 2009, 1:01 pm

I think it could be a great opportunity to educate the uneducated about the history of the word, the history of our hatred for our hair, and your reasoning for wearing your hair "nappy"! If you hit them with some knowledge it might shut their mouth and keep them from saying it again. And maybe, JUST maybe convert them lol I can wish can't I?

Don't allow someone to steal your joy because they are ignorant.
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinkrage 6th December 2009, 1:56 pm

I get offended when they call my hair nappy. The worst part is that it comes from my FAMILY! I have decided that I am going to do me and if you don't like it...OH WELL!

I like my hair curly rather than straight now. When I did a PNC for Thanksgiving I felt like I was cheating on my natural hair. I know it sound crazy but I was so happy and ready to wash my hair to get my curls back. Very Happy
Pinkrage
Pinkrage

http://www.fotki.com/pinkrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Moni 7th December 2009, 4:15 am

Nappy doesn't offend me unless someone's says it in a way that tells me that that they clearly mean it to be offensive. As I like to tell my bf, it's not what you say it's how you say it! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I will use it to describe my hair and the bf and I even use it as a general term to describe other naturals. We'll be watching tv or walking around and he'll say he saw a nappy with cool hair. Basically, we use it interchangeably with natural. I wouldn't say it directly to someone, because I know that many people are offended by it, but I have no problem describing my hair as nappy.
Moni
Moni

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 7th December 2009, 9:48 am

I think sometimes the ignorant comments can be really hurtful. Honestly I dont like hearing "good hair" either. To me, these comments coming from african americans strikes more heavily than hearing them from any other culture because we, at least, should KNOW our own plight. But it proves that so many women have been relaxed for so long that they are so highly misinformed of their OWN hair.....
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by snappynappy 7th December 2009, 12:52 pm

I ignore it because usually the people talking are the ones who are practically bald themselves and hiding under some crispy dollar store weave. Yes my hair is nappy, but if you are going to talk..you should be looking at yourself first and making sure you have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING that I can call you on.Cuz i will.... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
snappynappy
snappynappy

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvMeLuvMyFro 7th December 2009, 1:36 pm

The first time I went natural I went out and had all these natural hair baby tees made. One said "got naps" and "happy to be nappy" and etc. so, I guess I never let being called "nappy" bother me.

Sweetie be a duck and let that roll off your back and when she has no hair from her perms shake ya tailfeathers at her.
LuvMeLuvMyFro
LuvMeLuvMyFro

http://www.designsavvysalon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Deva_87 7th December 2009, 3:11 pm

Yeah I dont think the word nappy ever bothered me. I told a friend of mine that I was going natural and she said that she was "so happy I'm nappy" I laughed about it because we had talked about how I should go natural and how relaxers were made of caustic materials. She has been natural for years now and it made me feel good to have her support. I'm excited no matter what people say.
Deva_87
Deva_87

http://members.fotki.com/Deva87/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by StacyB 8th December 2009, 7:34 pm

I don't know how I feel about the term 'nappy'. I think I have mixed feelings. ONe of my classmates said she wanted to be natural but she couldn't walk around with a 'nappy head'-ok so that comment bothered me. But I told the teenage girls at my job "I want yall to behave so you can get your hair done, I'm tired of yall walking around with nappy heads".

But in that comment I made, I wasn't talking about "nappy" head but I was talking about how their hair was all over their heads, popping off, falling out, etc etc. Maybe I was wrong making that comment to these young girls. A few of them admire/love my natural hair. I try to educate the girls about natural hair as best I can in a residential facility with mildly MR/emotional disturb girls.
Now I feel bad, I'm going to apologize to them.... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
StacyB
StacyB

http://naturalbloggingsofayoungsocialworker.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down