CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hmmm...this article really bothers me ...

+2
NikG20
jcanalena79
6 posters

Go down

Hmmm...this article really bothers me ... Empty Hmmm...this article really bothers me ...

Post by jcanalena79 22nd April 2010, 12:59 am

http://ow.ly/1xDK7

Especially, *this* quote:

While for most curlies it’s not about straightening, it is about
redefining: reshaping their natural curl from tight to loose, from a
zig zag to an s-curve.

I dunno ... just rubs me the wrong way. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
jcanalena79
jcanalena79

Back to top Go down

Hmmm...this article really bothers me ... Empty Re: Hmmm...this article really bothers me ...

Post by NikG20 22nd April 2010, 2:09 am

I think it meant, for the Summer, for most curlies, it's not about straightening "it is about redefining: reshaping their natural curl from tight to loose, from a zig zag to an s-curve." (or beach waves as they state in the article) Which I find interesting, because IMO, for most curlies, Summer = W-n-G's, or so it seems.

The beauty of natural hair is it is so versatile, so if someone wants to wear a w-n-g one day, and a looser braid out/twist out look the next, or even straight for one week, that's okay. It's not like they don't like their natural curl pattern, but they have the ability to do different things with their hair.

I don't personally find the article offensive, but I can definitely see how someone could, or how it would bother you.
NikG20
NikG20

http://www.beadsbraidsbeyond.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Hmmm...this article really bothers me ... Empty Re: Hmmm...this article really bothers me ...

Post by BekkaPoo 22nd April 2010, 9:33 am

jcanalena79 wrote:http://ow.ly/1xDK7

Especially, *this* quote:

While for most curlies it’s not about straightening, it is about
redefining: reshaping their natural curl from tight to loose, from a
zig zag to an s-curve.

I dunno ... just rubs me the wrong way. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Is there a reason why? I mean, a lot of us braid or twist our hair overnight (or for several days) to reshape our natural curls in a non-permanent way, so this article isn't saying anything different from what people are already doing.
BekkaPoo
BekkaPoo

http://suprnatural.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by jcanalena79 22nd April 2010, 10:53 am

It's not about braidouts or twistouts ... it's not about any particular style. That's not the issue.

It's about the premise behind the article that purports a looser curl as more attractive and what women with tighter curls want to achieve. It's the whole idea of moving from 4a/b/c/z to a 3a/b/c ... why is there an assumption that "for most curlies ... it's about reshaping their curl from tight to loose"?? Why is there the assumption that women with tighter curls *want* an s-curl???
jcanalena79
jcanalena79

Back to top Go down

Post by BekkaPoo 22nd April 2010, 11:08 am

jcanalena79 wrote:It's the whole idea of moving from 4a/b/c/z to a 3a/b/c ... why is there an assumption that "for most curlies ... it's about reshaping their curl from tight to loose"?? Why is there the assumption that women with tighter curls *want* an s-curl???

Sorry, I just didn't get that from the article. I took it as "curlies have options", not as "you must conform to a certain type of curl".
BekkaPoo
BekkaPoo

http://suprnatural.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Free2Be 22nd April 2010, 9:45 pm

I noticed that the article was posted in the Wavy Hair section, first of all. Next, after reading the article I would have to assume it was written to a specific curly audience because I'm not sure the two curl-loosening processes can work on more tightly curled hair, kwim?

In short, I thought it was simply an article about styling for the summer for a specific segment of curlies, i.e. wavy haired curlies. I didn't take from it that tight curls are bad and all curlies want big, loose, waves or curls.

I think naturallycurly or whatever the forum is always features different articles for the different curly types and this one was meant for women with wavy/curly hair, not, per se, kinky, coily hair.
Free2Be
Free2Be

Back to top Go down

Post by jcanalena79 22nd April 2010, 11:04 pm

Free2Be wrote:I noticed that the article was posted in the Wavy Hair section, first of all. Next, after reading the article I would have to assume it was written to a specific curly audience because I'm not sure the two curl-loosening processes can work on more tightly curled hair, kwim?

In short, I thought it was simply an article about styling for the summer for a specific segment of curlies, i.e. wavy haired curlies. I didn't take from it that tight curls are bad and all curlies want big, loose, waves or curls.

I think naturallycurly or whatever the forum is always features different articles for the different curly types and this one was meant for women with wavy/curly hair, not, per se, kinky, coily hair.

The quote specifically said from tight curls with a zig zag shape (the exact description for types 4b/c/z) to loose curls with an s curl shape. That doesn't seem directed to wavy haired women to me. Who knows ... They posted something similar on facebook some time ago and quite a few people responded with the same concern that I expressed. This time, they began the post specifically mentioning the goal being loosening of curls. I normally avoid speaking up, but when I saw it posted again, I thought I'd come and share how it made me feel and commiserate with fellow curlies with all types of beautiful curls and kinks and waves.

Let me be clear, NC.com is a great site with tons of resources and a pioneer in curly hair care. However, that doesn't mean they are above/beyond a [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] when something suspect is posted by the site itself. To be even more clear, the article itself --- i.e. the braidout, etc. tutorial was great. It's certain statements/language and the premise behind those statements/language that is questionable.
jcanalena79
jcanalena79

Back to top Go down

Post by FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c) 23rd April 2010, 1:28 am

I think they were just trying to do some informative intro into talking about summer and beach waves into the braidout. My eyebrow did lift at the first couple of lines only because I hate it when some tries to speak on behalf of EVERY or MOST curlies. Neutral
FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c)
FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c)

Back to top Go down

Post by A-Felice 26th April 2010, 6:36 am

jcanalena79 wrote:
The quote specifically said from tight curls with a zig zag shape (the exact description for types 4b/c/z) to loose curls with an s curl shape. That doesn't seem directed to wavy haired women to me. Who knows ... They posted something similar on facebook some time ago and quite a few people responded with the same concern that I expressed. This time, they began the post specifically mentioning the goal being loosening of curls. I normally avoid speaking up, but when I saw it posted again, I thought I'd come and share how it made me feel and commiserate with fellow curlies with all types of beautiful curls and kinks and waves.

Let me be clear, NC.com is a great site with tons of resources and a pioneer in curly hair care. However, that doesn't mean they are above/beyond a [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] when something suspect is posted by the site itself. To be even more clear, the article itself --- i.e. the braidout, etc. tutorial was great. It's certain statements/language and the premise behind those statements/language that is questionable.

I think you're jumping the gun a bit. Lets take a closer look at what's being said, particularly the first line...

Summer is coming, and curlies are craving waves—beach waves, beach hair, and that loose, flowing look.

Translation: Summer is here and the in style for curlies is waves.
It's just like a cosmo article... the summer is here and polka dot bikinis are in...

There's nothing here that suggests waves are more attractive or that tightly coiled hair is unnatractive.
What is incorrectly implied, however, is that all curlies want waves for the summer, but this is typical when advertising the so called trend for the season.

Then they go on to describe a braid out, which might make the hair (even very tightly coiled hair) look more wavy.

There's nothing negative in this article IMO
A-Felice
A-Felice

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down