CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Article from The Grio

+7
Mandi'sGoneCurly!
tashafawn24
LadyMika
DvaAuNaturel
cluelesscurl
creolebeauty1
Kicha
11 posters

Go down

Article from The Grio Empty Article from The Grio

Post by Kicha 22nd January 2011, 10:13 am

Some of you may find the following article interesting but I actually found the comment section to be even more so.

Article
Kicha
Kicha

http://public.fotki.com/Kicha/

Back to top Go down

Article from The Grio Empty Re: Article from The Grio

Post by creolebeauty1 22nd January 2011, 11:36 am

I agree with the article some naturals feel they can dictate to others how to wear their hair i want healthy hair , my hair is versatile enough to be curly , kinky , coiled , straight , corn rowed , twisted , weaved up , wigged up and straighten why not take advantage of it's versatility instead of conforming to one style to please a group of people my sentiments exactly
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by cluelesscurl 22nd January 2011, 12:27 pm

Thanks, it was interesting. This issue is never ending.

cluelesscurl

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 22nd January 2011, 1:00 pm

People need to chill....damn. Why all the drama and discussion all the time about what someone else wants to do with their hair? People need to get off these high horses and being so high and mighty about their individual choices. You're natural...great. You're relaxed...great. It's all about you...DO YOU! Now instead of spending so much time discussing this what are you doing for others - how about that! This is starting to annoy me. Every time I turn around this issue about straight vs. natural is coming up. People need to keep it moving instead of being divisive.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 22nd January 2011, 2:12 pm

DvaAuNaturel wrote:People need to chill....damn. Why all the drama and discussion all the time about what someone else wants to do with their hair? People need to get off these high horses and being so high and mighty about their individual choices. You're natural...great. You're relaxed...great. It's all about you...DO YOU! Now instead of spending so much time discussing this what are you doing for others - how about that! This is starting to annoy me. Every time I turn around this issue about straight vs. natural is coming up. People need to keep it moving instead of being divisive.

Agreed. I'm always hearing "to each their own" or "live and let live" and "do what you want", but RARELY are those concepts being applied. Furthermore, this whole self-imposed "obligation" to tell people what/what NOT to do with their hair is utterly intrusive and pointless. Intrusive, because of the interference of a person's freedom to do what they want--which is EXACTLY what it is, be it hair related or otherwise. Pointless, because the hair industry IS NOT losing sleep NOR money over one's decision not to straighten their hair anymore. If anything, they've found a new niche to make up for money lost and to continue to profit from.
LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tashafawn24 22nd January 2011, 6:10 pm

Loved the aritcle but what's really funny is that the very thing the author wrote about was happening in the comment section AFTER the article! LOL! "Hive Mind" is what comes to my mind when I think of this never ending battle between heat on natural hair or having relaxed hair.

Slavery is something else that comes to mind as well...no not the physical slavery that happened to our ancestors but in the same sense of enslaving a newly natural into not wanting to experience the many things natural hair has to offer.

It's this foolish type of behavior that has many new naturals wanting to turn back to the relaxer because they're too many RULES in being natural period! The only rule in being natural should be is being happy with YOURSELF!

tashafawn24
tashafawn24

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandi'sGoneCurly! 22nd January 2011, 6:21 pm

creolebeauty1 wrote:I agree with the article some naturals feel they can dictate to others how to wear their hair i want healthy hair , my hair is versatile enough to be curly , kinky , coiled , straight , corn rowed , twisted , weaved up , wigged up and straighten why not take advantage of it's versatility instead of conforming to one style to please a group of people my sentiments exactly

Love this!
dance
Mandi'sGoneCurly!
Mandi'sGoneCurly!

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 22nd January 2011, 7:33 pm

tashafawn24 wrote:Loved the aritcle but what's really funny is that the very thing the author wrote about was happening in the comment section AFTER the article! LOL! "Hive Mind" is what comes to my mind when I think of this never ending battle between heat on natural hair or having relaxed hair.

Slavery is something else that comes to mind as well...no not the physical slavery that happened to our ancestors but in the same sense of enslaving a newly natural into not wanting to experience the many things natural hair has to offer.

It's this foolish type of behavior that has many new naturals wanting to turn back to the relaxer because they're too many RULES in being natural period! The only rule in being natural should be is being happy with YOURSELF!

1. Tashafawn - girl, your hair looks absolutely FABULOUS! It's grown out really nicely.
2. Very well said (particularly the bolded).
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiralos 22nd January 2011, 11:48 pm

tashafawn24 wrote:Loved the aritcle but what's really funny is that the very thing the author wrote about was happening in the comment section AFTER the article! LOL! "Hive Mind" is what comes to my mind when I think of this never ending battle between heat on natural hair or having relaxed hair.

I couldn't get past this comment without rofl!

"EVERYTIME I SEE A BLK WOMAN WITH A PERM...I SEE A SAD, PATHETIC SOUL.. YOU WILL PUT THESE CHEMICALS IN YOUR HEAD UNTIL THEY DESTROY YOUR HAIR AND SCALP..

GO TO ANY HAIRSHOP AND WATCH THESE BLK WOMEN COME IN AND THEIR HAIR IS DESTROYED...THEIR HAIR LINE IS PUSHED BACK TO MARS FROM ALL THE DESTRUCTION OF THEIR HAIR......THEN THEY GET THIS PHONY INDONESIAN HAIR AND PRETEND THAT THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL......"

Is this person's soul hurting over somebody's hair? lol!
Spiralos
Spiralos

Back to top Go down

Post by 1FlySista 23rd January 2011, 12:13 am

DvaAuNaturel wrote:People need to chill....damn. Why all the drama and discussion all the time about what someone else wants to do with their hair? People need to get off these high horses and being so high and mighty about their individual choices. You're natural...great. You're relaxed...great. It's all about you...DO YOU! Now instead of spending so much time discussing this what are you doing for others - how about that! This is starting to annoy me. Every time I turn around this issue about straight vs. natural is coming up. People need to keep it moving instead of being divisive.

DITTO!
1FlySista
1FlySista

http://www.goddyssey.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tashafawn24 23rd January 2011, 1:06 am

DvaAuNaturel wrote:

1. Tashafawn - girl, your hair looks absolutely FABULOUS! It's grown out really nicely.
2. Very well said (particularly the bolded).

Thank You DvaAuNaturel! That was a picture of my first blow-out...I got curious LOL!! I see your curls popping over there! The discussions and many disagreements over what others do with their hair is really asinine! It's almost like some women forgot that they too were relaxed not so long ago but want to dictate what being natural is. People don't seem to care what everyone does when their hair is relaxed but as soon as you say your natural you get the "Nappy Inspectors" checking off their lists of do's and don'ts for YOUR hair.
tashafawn24
tashafawn24

Back to top Go down

Post by tashafawn24 23rd January 2011, 1:21 am

Spiralos wrote:

I couldn't get past this comment without rofl!

"EVERYTIME I SEE A BLK WOMAN WITH A PERM...I SEE A SAD, PATHETIC SOUL.. YOU WILL PUT THESE CHEMICALS IN YOUR HEAD UNTIL THEY DESTROY YOUR HAIR AND SCALP..

GO TO ANY HAIRSHOP AND WATCH THESE BLK WOMEN COME IN AND THEIR HAIR IS DESTROYED...THEIR HAIR LINE IS PUSHED BACK TO MARS FROM ALL THE DESTRUCTION OF THEIR HAIR......THEN THEY GET THIS PHONY INDONESIAN HAIR AND PRETEND THAT THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL......"

Is this person's soul hurting over somebody's hair? lol!

When I read that comment I could faintly hear a small violin playing in the background Laughing I love my hair but I'm not going to die of a broken heart over someone else's hair! To be honest, when I'm out and about with my hair all out I only notice other naturals because I like to see others whose hair looks like mine LOL!
tashafawn24
tashafawn24

Back to top Go down

Post by ChardaeD 23rd January 2011, 1:58 am

There are no rules when it comes to your hair. As long as you're happy and whatever you're doing is working, do it and ignore everybody else. Simple as that!

That broken heart business is hilarious. I like to blowout my hair sometimes to change up my look. I dare somebody to judge me. Many of us used to sit in that salon chair itching for a touch up, so don't go acting all self righteous. Hair is a personal decision.

You know how they say there's no "I" in team? Well, there's no "we" or "team" in hair. Solo effort!
ChardaeD
ChardaeD

http://girlnotondeadline.blgospot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DeltaAce2006 23rd January 2011, 3:15 am

that's so silly!! when i decided to become natural...it wasn't some long drawn out self-discovery. I just wanted to know what my natural hair looked like. That's it. I will still dye it if i want to...i will sew it, wig it, braid it up, wash n go, and will still ROCK A FIRE FLAT IRON job!!!! i LOVE how much versatility i have now. I don't have to run from rain, or a hot, sweaty club, i can swim all i want, if i decide to dye it, i dont have to pull a calender out to see when's the last time i relaxed. I'm Free!!!!!

That's what natural is to me..no relaxer. I'm not "die hard", and don't have to only use natural this & that, never use heat blah blah blah. i wish my mom wouldnt have gave me a perm at such a young age, and not given up on my "thick & nappy hair" (thanks momma lol)...maybe if she wasnt relying on pink lotion back then we could have got somewhere hahaha
Razz
DeltaAce2006
DeltaAce2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down