CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Families Reactions over the Holidays

+18
honey009
over40fab
Nikole
Sweet Tee
BriaBeauty
Loving me
Tereill
Emartini04
Sebastain13
Renny
Color_Me_Coily
MissyCee
Ladybug83
Stephy0306
blkbeauty2010
Takeya
naturally.yours
rayray19
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Families Reactions over the Holidays  Empty Families Reactions over the Holidays

Post by rayray19 26th November 2010, 2:15 am

so im sure many of us over thanksgiving has gotten comments about our natural hair..especially those who recently BC like myself...what kind of comments and reaction did you family say about your hair??

mines were all good comments...and my mom and one of my lil cousin are going natural to get dreads!!!..BUT i did get them same old comment "Oh it looks good on you but not me" and "My head to big to do that" and the infamous "man natural hair is just too much work"...and i have to agree natural hair is a little more work then having a relaxer (back then all i did was wrap my hair; unwrap and go)..but all this hard work has paid off..my hair has grown soooo much!!!..I cant wait till my hair grows out more so I can rock a big fierce twist out that turns head..then they'll see how all that work pays off...

but yea besides those lil comments and everybody trying to touch my hair it was great..i enjoyed being around my family..now its time to rest up for black Friday shopping!! Very Happy
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Families Reactions over the Holidays  Empty Re: Families Reactions over the Holidays

Post by naturally.yours 26th November 2010, 4:19 am

I wore my hair in a natural style, two strand twist out, for the first time. The women on my mother's side are natural, so they embraced the style. I received a lot of comments on my "au naturale" as my grandmother put it. And my uncle seemed shocked, but in a good way. My family is so used to see my hair either flat or curled, so the wild twist out was a surprise, but overall I think it was a hit.
naturally.yours
naturally.yours

Back to top Go down

Families Reactions over the Holidays  Empty Re: Families Reactions over the Holidays

Post by Takeya 26th November 2010, 10:43 am

Since I began learning how to care for my hair a little less than a year ago, many dinner conversations have centered around natural hair. My baby sister is natural too but strictly wears straight styles. I've been natural for a little over 3 years but my hair has never been so healthy.

Yesterday when my cousin, who's also natural, saw my hair for the first time since summer she was amazed at the growth. She said she wants my "length and curl pattern". The funny thing is that I LOVE her hair. She was rocking a 3 or 4 day old coil-out and I was a little jealous of how beautiful it was! My coil-outs always look blah! Oh and she rarely "protects" her hair at night to keep it looking so great...I'd wake with a frizzy, tangled mess if I tried that!

All in all it was a great day and it's always great when another natural you admire, admires you back! Happy Holidays!
Takeya
Takeya

http://www.justtakeya.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by blkbeauty2010 26th November 2010, 11:18 am

OOOHHH EEEMMM GGGEEE! Turkey day is big for my family... I mean big. Every year we pick a different location where family lives and everyone travels near and far to eat until were gonna explode. I couldnt even get in the door and make my way to the food before people were stopping me and throwing their fingers in my head and scalp molesting me. All i heard all day was "its so thick" "this you you" "you rockin that" "its beautiful" and a bunch of other comments that just made my day. The funny thing is my mom, grandmother, two aunts, and cousin (plus all my little girl cousins) are all natural and i felt like my hair was stealing the show. People were taking pictures and the topic of many conversations and direction of many finger points were at my twist out. Not to mention i thought i was having WW3 with my hair prior to leaving and i didnt even think it was that cute! Needles to say i think i converted a couple of family members woot!
blkbeauty2010
blkbeauty2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephy0306 26th November 2010, 1:44 pm

well my mom told me she really liked my hair and that it looked really cute, and my sister told me its really cute. My mom also was impressed how even tho im not even half way natural and have mostly perm hair she said all my hair really looked natural lol. And it did, the rest of my family didnt say anything, but its ok i loved it and knowing that my mom liked it made me feel better about rocking it . Very Happy

Stephy0306

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 26th November 2010, 3:46 pm

glad to har u all had good experiences having ur natural hair around family this thanksgiving!! however, i'm still wearing my protective style, which is my curly human hair weave until my hair grows out more...can't wait for that cause i'm soooooooooooo impatient!! LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by Ladybug83 26th November 2010, 8:02 pm

I'm still transitioning; however, my family had really good reactions to my braid-out. My mom said, "I really thought I wasn't going to like your natural hair, but I do." She said she was like "Lord what is my daughter doing now", but that it really looks good on me. My grandmother knows very little about relaxed or natural hair. She just liked the style. My aunt jokingly asked if I was going natural when she saw the thickness of my hair. When I told her that I was, she was like "seriously?!" then shrugged and went about her business. I really thought that I was going to get a lot of negative comments from my family, but as long as my hair is well styled, they could care less.

Ladybug83

Back to top Go down

Post by MissyCee 26th November 2010, 8:42 pm

No real comments, BUT, mom hasn't had a relaxer in years and wears a wig or cap whenever she is around people. Her hair is beautiful but she don't want "nobody to see her like that". IT JUST KILLS ME. What is the purpose of having natural and not loving it? I do know a generation gap is the main reason, she is 67, but, love it and wear it. She is too concerrned with others comments. I've tried...... Mine hair, it's growing along. I just basically wear a twa, I think I'm gonna try a fro hawk for the weekend to see how that goes.......
MissyCee
MissyCee

Back to top Go down

Post by Color_Me_Coily 26th November 2010, 11:22 pm

My thanksgiving was good, [I always enjoy time spent with family]

needless to say... the comments were coming at my hair & I like darts Neutral

Let’s start with the day before Thanksgiving. My grandmother called me & first asked me how did I plan to wear my hair on thanksgiving. I told her simply & plain ou “As is” she then told me I should go to my aunt’s salon and get my hair pressed out. I told her I don’t want it flat ironed, & that it’s not supposed to be straight [I mean when it gets longer I may, but even then I don’t wish for straight hair or I would have kept getting relaxers uhhhhh!]

She said Hollie well you must not be dressing on for the Holiday, I said don’t I always, and she said wearing my hair in my afro is like wearing a $5000 dress with $20 heels (-________-) I mean was she serious? fo’real fo’real...

I told her it’s my hair and this is how I’m wearing it, you might as well get use to it because you couldn’t pay me to put another relaxer in it. She goes on to say that my hair texture [4a] isn’t made to wear in it’s natural state...

Fast Forward... On thanksgiving as I walked in the house everyone stared my uncle ran up putting his fingers through my hair stating “gred day” girl your hair sure is kinky ... >=| WHATEVER is all I could think in my head!

My aunt [the salon owner] told me that chris rock’s movie [good hair] or whatever it’s called has african american women going crazy over this whole natural process.
I told her I hadn’t even seen the movie, I made this personal choice on my own!!!

Needless to say MY family on my dad’s side still hasn’t accepted it ...

But on my mom’s side they love it My aunt hollie who stays out in california is natural and has been for about 3 1/2 years [so jealous of her hair] lol...

I also went over to my moms b/f house as well, and him and his whole family LOVE it

I just shake off the negative comments because there’s ALWAYS many more positive ones cheers scratch scratch scratch Very Happy
Color_Me_Coily
Color_Me_Coily

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 27th November 2010, 12:13 am

Naturally_Hollie wrote:My thanksgiving was good, [I always enjoy time spent with family]

needless to say... the comments were coming at my hair & I like darts Neutral

Let’s start with the day before Thanksgiving. My grandmother called me & first asked me how did I plan to wear my hair on thanksgiving. I told her simply & plain ou “As is” she then told me I should go to my aunt’s salon and get my hair pressed out. I told her I don’t want it flat ironed, & that it’s not supposed to be straight [I mean when it gets longer I may, but even then I don’t wish for straight hair or I would have kept getting relaxers uhhhhh!]

She said Hollie well you must not be dressing on for the Holiday, I said don’t I always, and she said wearing my hair in my afro is like wearing a $5000 dress with $20 heels (-________-) I mean was she serious? fo’real fo’real...

I told her it’s my hair and this is how I’m wearing it, you might as well get use to it because you couldn’t pay me to put another relaxer in it. She goes on to say that my hair texture [4a] isn’t made to wear in it’s natural state...

Fast Forward... On thanksgiving as I walked in the house everyone stared my uncle ran up putting his fingers through my hair stating “gred day” girl your hair sure is kinky ... >=| WHATEVER is all I could think in my head!

My aunt [the salon owner] told me that chris rock’s movie [good hair] or whatever it’s called has african american women going crazy over this whole natural process.
I told her I hadn’t even seen the movie, I made this personal choice on my own!!!

Needless to say MY family on my dad’s side still hasn’t accepted it ...

But on my mom’s side they love it My aunt hollie who stays out in california is natural and has been for about 3 1/2 years [so jealous of her hair] lol...

I also went over to my moms b/f house as well, and him and his whole family LOVE it

I just shake off the negative comments because there’s ALWAYS many more positive ones cheers scratch scratch scratch Very Happy

wow you got it bad...my hair is 4a as well and i don't plan on applying heat to flat iron till my 2 years mark..but im glad to hear your mothers side is very supportive..
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 27th November 2010, 12:35 am

Nobody said anything to me, but I could tell inquiring minds wanted to know why I had all them tiny little plaits in my head when I first arrived. After I took them out and did my twist out my hair was hot. My son loved it, my mom and cousins thought it was pretty.

2nd day hair was quite nappy at the roots and my mother was trying to help me fix it. I told her she couldn't. I had a book signing that didn't go particularly well and my mother commented that I might have sold more books if I had a perm. I don't think she really meant anything by it. I mean she knows that people like permed hair, but she could give a flip what I do with mine. She was just glad to see me all dressed up in new clothes and boots and hot jewerly. I've been in a slump for a few years, so the whole me paying attention to my appearance is a welcome change, so I know she'll take me nappy and happy. Nobody else said anything. I have no idea what my dad thought. He's used to me being a rebel.

Everyone in my family has a perm. Hmmm...now that I think about it, I guess they're all trying to figure out WTHeck?!! LOL. Whateva.

Last edited by Renny on 27th November 2010, 12:36 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sebastain13 27th November 2010, 6:38 pm

I arrived home late Wednesday night so I had alread re-twisted my hair & put on my satin bonnet in the car
The next day my sister saw it for the first time in about 6 months & she was happy w/how much it had grown (she has been natural for 3-4 yrs) My mom really doesnt say too much what ever makes me happy she is happy with it my daughter really likes it alot as well (shes been natural for almost a year & now has a brush cut) She does feel that I should not wear any cornrows in my hair because she said that was for people that was younger & I should rock my fro I disaggreed w/her
My other relatives really didnt say too much either
I am very happy with the progress that I have made with my hair I am going to continue on with my natural hair journey as planned I love my hair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sebastain13
Sebastain13

http://<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">

Back to top Go down

Post by Emartini04 27th November 2010, 8:14 pm

I wore a two strand twist for Thanksgiving and when I walked inside the door my sister's boyfriend asked me: Oh your hair looks nice. Are you growing dreads now?

Lol I thought it was funny.
Emartini04
Emartini04

Back to top Go down

Post by Tereill 29th November 2010, 7:08 pm

Wowers, well I kinda wanted some negative comments so that I can shoot some people down sarcastically, but I didn't get any negative responses. In fact, my family was bugging be about how beautiful my hair is and what kinda products etc. I definitely wasn't expecting so many comments but it did feel good Smile
Tereill
Tereill

Back to top Go down

Post by Loving me 30th November 2010, 4:57 pm

My family knows me so nobody came out there face sideways cause I would have had to tell them where they could lay (and a moving car would have gotten thrown in there) some said your hair really looks nice. Others just stared at it (that would be the haters). But its cool cause they cant deny the fact that wether im rocking my fro a weave or a beyonce lace front or a ceaser, IM BEU-TI-FUL!

Holla!

lol.
Loving me
Loving me

Back to top Go down

Post by BriaBeauty 30th November 2010, 7:07 pm

Lol well the day before Thanksgiving i TRIED to "big chop" after transitioning for 4 longgggg months (0,0) well because of all my excitment due to my new decision:) , i forgot to ask my mom if i could cut my shoulder length relaxed hair off... oops Sad she was so angry! Really upset, she always loved my hair and i though she would like the change. Wrong.
anyways, back to the chop, i just cut away but about an hour later i stopped cutting and looked in the mirror at this really cute pixie cut i created. so im putting my bc off until i get tired of this style or i might decide to grow my hair out for a few more months with braids lol idk but before i finish chopping i will def. ask my mom first >.<

BriaBeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Tee 1st December 2010, 7:38 pm

My mom & I are both naturals.

We went to my grandmother's for Thanksgiving.

She said, "Both of y'all really look alike now wit dem nappy heads!"

I laughed & could care less!

Last edited by Sweet Tee on 1st December 2010, 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sweet Tee
Sweet Tee

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 1st December 2010, 8:05 pm

@Sweet Tee - You can't do anything but laugh.
Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Tee 1st December 2010, 8:13 pm

@Renny-

Gotta love 'em, Girl!!!!!!!
Sweet Tee
Sweet Tee

Back to top Go down

Post by Nikole 2nd December 2010, 12:04 am

I got two " it's cute", one " wow that's interesting!" ( still not sure what to do with that) and my sister who said I look like a boy. I really don't think people understand why I wanted to be natural. But they dont have to....ITS MY HAIR!
Nikole
Nikole

Back to top Go down

Post by over40fab 2nd December 2010, 12:31 am

Let me start by saying that my Mom is a hair stylist and not too big on natural hair. A family friend came to Thanksgiving dinner who hadn't seen me in almost a year. After eating, I overheard him tell my mom how he couldn't believe the change I made and how different I looked. The only response my mom gave was, "I'm getting use to it" in the flattest tone of voice I have ever heard.
over40fab
over40fab

Back to top Go down

Post by honey009 2nd December 2010, 9:21 am

All through dinner, my grandmother just kept looking at my hair ( it was humid that day in Atlanta, so my Twist- out was taking a life of its own ) Then she said to me " Can you even get a comb through that hair? " Out of respect for her, I just looked at her like Suspect ( She was sporting some jacked up weave, and got the nerve to talk) LOL family, gotta love em. afro
honey009
honey009

http://thequietnatural.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ladygogohot 2nd December 2010, 4:53 pm

@ Honey 009....that is toooooo funny
ladygogohot
ladygogohot

Back to top Go down

Post by molove87 3rd December 2010, 12:02 am

Loving me wrote:My family knows me so nobody came out there face sideways cause I would have had to tell them where they could lay (and a moving car would have gotten thrown in there) some said your hair really looks nice. Others just stared at it (that would be the haters). But its cool cause they cant deny the fact that wether im rocking my fro a weave or a beyonce lace front or a ceaser, IM BEU-TI-FUL!

Holla!

lol.

I know that's right!! lol I didn't have any bad experiences.. I had a family friend ask me about products because she hadn't texlaxed in 6months. I put two strand twist in my niece hair, and took them out, she was SOOO cute!! That was about it.
molove87
molove87

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 3rd December 2010, 7:37 am

My family didn't say anything...CUZ I DON'T TALK TO THEM. HA! lol! (Seriously though...I don't talk to them, and they don't talk to me. Sounds effed up, but trust me--it's better this way.)
LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next