CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tough Girls: Martial Artists

2 posters

Go down

Tough Girls: Martial Artists Empty Tough Girls: Martial Artists

Post by BekkaPoo 14th April 2010, 10:51 am

Hey ladies.. any martial artists on board? I've been doing aiki jujitsu for about 8 months now and am about to test for my next rank (orange belt) this weekend.

I really enjoy this art because it teaches you so many things: history, Japanese (lol), endurance, pain tolerance, breathing, and so much more. You learn to see attacks coming and how to react and defend yourself. This isn't so much of a kicking-striking art, more of a throwing-grappling-joint locking art. I love it.. but then I've always been a tomboy at heart. I'm the only female in my class. Other women have joined in for a few classes but they never last..

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
BekkaPoo
BekkaPoo

http://suprnatural.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Tough Girls: Martial Artists Empty Re: Tough Girls: Martial Artists

Post by tamyllia 28th April 2010, 4:55 pm

I've dappled with various martial arts during my college years. Finally landed on Muay Thai for a while. I absolutely love the competitiveness and focus it gave me--not to mention work capacity (oh how I loathe conditioning).

I moved to the Louisville area about two years ago, and there's no real kickboxing interest. I took up MMA instead, but I'm horrible with ground moves lol. I stopped going for now because it's currently a bit expensive on the pockets.

I do miss being the only girl though--the look on a new guy's face when he realizes he should not have gone easy on me is always priceless!

tamyllia

Back to top Go down

Post by BekkaPoo 29th April 2010, 2:23 pm

Oh cool Tamyllia.. even though you're not in a dojo/gym right now, maybe there's some things you can practice on your own at home.

Muay Thai is no joke.. good for you for even attempting that art. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
BekkaPoo
BekkaPoo

Back to top Go down

Post by tamyllia 29th April 2010, 4:59 pm

Yeah, I can still keep up at home, I have a lot of bags and sparring partners to play with.

I've tried Brazilian Jujitsu when I was training in MMA but I got impatient, lol. Too much thinking of several moves ahead for me, I was totally horrid in it. How did you first get into Aiki Jujitsu? My interest in martial arts started when I was little and my parents told me I couldn't take karate like my brothers just because I'm a girl. Haha!

tamyllia

Back to top Go down

Post by BekkaPoo 4th May 2010, 11:53 am

Lucky you Tam.. I would love to have a punching bag at home, but I have no room for one where I live right now.

As for how I got into Aiki Jujitsu, it was by accident or by providence..lol. I wanted to learn a self defense method because of reports about a rapist attacking women in my neighborhood last summer, and then shortly after hearing that, my gym started to offer a free AJ class to members. I've been with them ever since.. Smile Also we have two new female members so I'm not alone anymore.
BekkaPoo
BekkaPoo

Back to top Go down

Post by BekkaPoo 17th May 2010, 11:29 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The crew having our first annual OOO-RAH WORKOUT & BBQ on the beach.. tons of fun. One of the guys almost passed out an puked in the sand because of a little heat exhaustion, but in the end some ice water and pork chops fixed him right up. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I shouldn't really laugh, but since he was okay it's funnier now. I also wasn't able to keep up during our warm up run because I kept getting my legs caught in my hakama. I also got a WICKED sunburn that day.. still stings today, three days later. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
BekkaPoo
BekkaPoo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down