CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Biggest Fears about Going Natural?!

+18
mimigirljoy
diamondcurls
Tmochava
JazzyCurlyRN
styleandgrace
Deva_87
natty2b
nolacurls83
mrsrenaissance
Blackbeauty
crvng4mr
natural_nance
nmoultry
traveljunkie08
ashollan
dajewel
loveself247
MissSimone
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Biggest Fears about Going Natural?! - Page 2 Empty Re: Biggest Fears about Going Natural?!

Post by Tmochava 7th December 2009, 1:53 pm

I'm glad I stumbled on this topic because I was just thinking about this the other day and actually posted a video on my thoughts about my natural hair and the BC. I just don't know if I'm ready to tackle and deal with my natural hair and I also don't think I am ready for the new look. Don't get me wrong, I have no desire to relax my hair but I also have no desire to BC, at least for now. I've been transitioning for 5 months so far, at first I was excited but now my excitement has completely vanished.

If you'd like to view, here's the link to the video I posted talking about it... www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjxDrtCy1O4

I figure I will eventually come around to my natural hair.
Tmochava
Tmochava

Back to top Go down

Biggest Fears about Going Natural?! - Page 2 Empty Re: Biggest Fears about Going Natural?!

Post by diamondcurls 14th December 2009, 12:43 am

Hi there! I watched your video and completely understand your view. I guess my fear is the unknown. What will my hair look like? Will I be able to handle it? How stylish will I be able to get with my hair? I currently have very healthy hair near clavicle length and have worked very hard to get it this way. I am willing to work hard to get to my natural hair but what happens if I fail? I will be taking this day to day and will be reading and researching daily for support.

Anyone want to be my transition buddy?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Tmochava wrote:I'm glad I stumbled on this topic because I was just thinking about this the other day and actually posted a video on my thoughts about my natural hair and the BC. I just don't know if I'm ready to tackle and deal with my natural hair and I also don't think I am ready for the new look. Don't get me wrong, I have no desire to relax my hair but I also have no desire to BC, at least for now. I've been transitioning for 5 months so far, at first I was excited but now my excitement has completely vanished.

If you'd like to view, here's the link to the video I posted talking about it... www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjxDrtCy1O4

I figure I will eventually come around to my natural hair.
diamondcurls
diamondcurls

Back to top Go down

Post by mimigirljoy 14th December 2009, 4:51 pm

@diamoncurls
Hey Girl, I would love to be ur transition buddy. I've been transitionig since october. I actually started in august, but I texturized my hair in october. I thought it was temporary.....yeah I know....Lack of knowledge. I also have some concerns about my natural hair texture and how it will look. So having a buddy would be good. So what I'm doing now is just stalking all these sites like Curlynikki and stocking up on information and inspiration. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Besides Curly nikki these are some of my favorite sites:
http://naturallyobsessed.onsugar.com/
http://newlynatural.com/blog/
http://maneandchic.blogspot.com/
http://kinkyrhonnie.blogspot.com/
http://bglhonline.com/
And I would also advise you to open a fotki account. Just for support from more naturals and transitioners. My name on fotki is Minerva13. So look me up.
Laterz.
mimigirljoy
mimigirljoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz 14th December 2009, 9:51 pm

I haven't read all of the replies yet, so if I repeat something, sorry! LOL.

The reason I decided to do a long-term transition is because I don't want short hair. It took me long enough to get my hair where it was now (although I was doing all sorts of unhealthy things to it that I'm no longer doing, and it's doing much better, but I digress), and I don't want to go from hair that's about APL to a TWA. I will admit sometimes I'm tempted to BC just so I can get to the business of getting to know my hair the way it grows out of my head (I've had perms since 3rd grade, and before that my mom always pressed it after washing it).

My suggestion is to not BC at all, maybe you should just let your hair grow out and trim it as usual until all of the relaxed ends are gone. That way you won't have to worry about length shock. That's what my mom did a couple of years ago and now her hair is longer than I ever remember it being.

Personally, I'm determined to make it a year before BCing, that way I can learn how to do different styles (I'm trying to get the hang of flat twisting now. . .) and I won't have as much shock if I do BC after a year because my hair is growing really quickly now that I'm not perming it and using little to no heat.
Muz
Muz

http://muzikalhairjournal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MsParker 15th December 2009, 12:55 pm

My biggest fear about going natural was "What if people don't like it?" Then I realized why am I worrying about what other people think about MY hair? I've learned to love every kink and curl and if you love it, thanks. If you don't, oh well, because I'm not gonna change for anybody. Hair is my favorite accessory and I'm gonna rock it to the fullest. And P.S your hair is NOT gonna punk you. lol
MsParker
MsParker

Back to top Go down

Post by msjakkia 22nd December 2009, 1:53 pm

I understand your concerns Simone. I did this for self reflection and self- love mostly. I put alot of value in my hair, and often felt that it was only thing that made me beautiful, but also felt it was somewhat a lie due to not being natural. I have this Happy, Bohemian chic- confident woman with gorgeous wild locks, a nice healthy shape, and great skin inside and I want so badly to let he rout, and she can't because this sad, depressed, overwhelmed, scared, insecure woman is holding her down. So, I am changing this and other things to break free, and while I do feel more beautiful everyday due to my hair, my biggest fear is that after all my change I STILL WON'T FEEL BEAUTIFUL. Isee myself in 3 years after I have a long head of healthy hair and the way I have always wanted to be, but I fear that maybe she is always going to be within reach for me, but never attainable. My biggest issue is mental and I am trying daily to alter it. With prayer, I have to believe my deliverance is coming.
msjakkia
msjakkia

Back to top Go down

Post by StacyB 22nd December 2009, 11:33 pm

It takes time and patience and like dajewel said-every head of hair is different. I was ready to go natural so I only transition for 2 months (at the most). I absolutely did not want the two different textures. I also had long "healthy" relaxed hair. I was skeptical about the BC, but when I did it, I was like oh thats it. Lol. I brought a lot of big hoop earrings (I was already a hoop fan) and a lot of head bands, scarves, and flowers.

I haven't had any issues with my hair until this winter (its dry, flaky, itchy, with a lot of dandruff). I am trying to remember the things I did when I BC almost 2 years ago and do that same routine now with my length.
StacyB
StacyB

http://naturalbloggingsofayoungsocialworker.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by StacyB 22nd December 2009, 11:43 pm

I forgot to include this in the above post. I lost a lot of hair when I did the BC, I had shoulder length hair and after I did the BC- I may have only had an inch. But everything is different for everyone. Like I said I did not want to transition a long time, I just couldn't do. Majority of my transition was with sew ins and wigs, and the 2 weeks I had my two textured hair out-I thought I was going to die. I did not know what to do with the relaxed ends and the kinky roots-so thats why I did my BC. I never had a initial "BC" date or anything or a "transition time length". I just went with the flow.
All of you ladies just have to do what works for you. There is nothing wrong with having doubts. Maybe this isn't the time for you to go natural, but if its meant to happen it may happen later. I initially wanted to go natural 6 years ago when I was a sophomore or junior in college. I went without a perm for almost a year (8 or 9 months) but I did not know what else to do so I eventually got another relaxer. I thank God for this website, motown girl, and especially youtube because this information was not availiable back then when I inititally wanted to be "free". I suggest you pray about it, meditate, continue researching and developing a support system. I took a chance and jumped out there and did it-some people need time to process about. Its nothing wrong with either one, just do what is best for you.
StacyB
StacyB

http://naturalbloggingsofayoungsocialworker.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MissSimone 26th December 2009, 2:21 am

all you ladies have provided wonderful ideas, support and advice. I scheduled the appt for my BC for January 8, 2010. I'm very excited about stepping into this new phase of my hair life. I've finished my year transition and am ready to snip these permed ends off. They have got to go!!
MissSimone
MissSimone

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2