CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scab hair

+16
Music8192
Naturally Nu*
Tierra
Pinkpearls
hnysmax
thicktjt88
LaFemmeRouge
lexi1
Peachtree
swoodward
Lynnieluve
Poundcake921
AdriEm
BrownSkinDiva
envizionj
LaToya28
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Scab hair - Page 2 Empty Re: Scab hair

Post by chica rosa 27th April 2010, 9:16 am

You know, KNH, I was thinking this morning that maybe braiding my hair will help. Usually braids help my hair grow fast, for some reason. So am thinking maybe in a month or so, after my hair has grown a little to try braiding, will see.
chica rosa
chica rosa

Back to top Go down

Post by Born2BeMe 27th April 2010, 7:16 pm

I think scab hair is very real. The very tips of my hair, about 1/4-1/2", is dryer than the rest and difficult to twist/moisturize. This is the hair that grew after my last relaxer and I think it is still somewhat damaged by the relaxer.. Apparently, ppl do have different interpretations of it. But as far as I have experienced, it's the first new growth and is not representative of your true texture. Hence, the reason some ppl's is straighter than the rest or kinkier than the rest.
Born2BeMe
Born2BeMe

Back to top Go down

Post by chica rosa 27th April 2010, 7:54 pm

@aanwyn,
did you BC or were a long term transitioner? I am wondering how long it may take for my hair to return to its normal state.
chica rosa
chica rosa

Back to top Go down

Post by Born2BeMe 28th April 2010, 1:02 am

I transitioned for 1 yr then BC'd. I highly doubt the hair will revert since it seems scab hair results from relaxer penetrating the skin/follicle so it's chemical damage. I would think the only thing to do is to be extra extra vigilant with moisturising or to get rid of the hair if that is what you choose to do. I just deal with mine to be honest bc I don't want to cut. I feel like if you can handle moisturising scab hair you can handle any dry hair challenge lol. So I guess I see it as a challenge. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Born2BeMe
Born2BeMe

Back to top Go down

Post by jaylin20032003 5th May 2010, 7:45 pm

im a babe in the natural world; this may 9 will be 5 months since my last relaxer and i bc'd on april 26 of this year, and am starting to realize that i think i have scab hair...alot... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] i can definately see some nice coily curls, but then there is alot that is kinda fluffy and straight even though i cut all the relaxed ends off. what tips or suggestions to deal with this? as you can see in the avatar, my hair isnt that long yet...trying not to get discouraged...in the avatar, i twisted those with eco styler, coconut oil and cantu leave in...

Last edited by jaylin20032003 on 5th May 2010, 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot to add how i got the look in the pic)
jaylin20032003
jaylin20032003

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 5th May 2010, 11:21 pm

any scab hair you have will never revert back to your true texture. You just have to moisturize like crazy if you don't wan't to cut it. Given time, your hair will grow out healthy.

I had 2 major problems - one was that the ends needed three times as much moisture as the rest of the hair just to style it. I was very conscious of it when I shampooed because I could really feel how rough it was. It never looked the same as my roots.
The second was i was afraid the ends would start splitting and once that happened, the rest of my hair was at risk. I cut mine off.

I don't think that's a solution for everyone though. Keep an eye on it. People have been able to keep it. But if you see damage going up the hair shaft, you should probably cut the scab hair off. You can always dust your ends if you want to avoid losing a lot of hair.
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2