CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Experiences with scab hair

4 posters

Go down

Experiences with scab hair Empty Experiences with scab hair

Post by BeautifullyNapptural 7th June 2010, 7:37 pm

Hey, I'm Tasha and as of today I am one month post relaxer. I have 1/2 to 1 inch of new growth. My scalp, no matter what I put in it, tends to soak up any type of moisturizer I put in it. I deep conditioned my hair this weekend and it seems like I never conditioned in my life. It feels like a brillo pad and sounds like a record scratching when I scratch my scalp!! Doing research I discovered what they call "scab hair", and I think this is what I'm going through.

My question for everyone is has anyone else experienced scab hair going through your transition? If so, is there any way to moisturize it, or did you just have to wait it out?? Any product suggestions? I've bought a lot of conditioners, leave-in conditioners, shea butter, coconut oil, and more but nothing seems to work. I will continue to moisturize with my Olive Oil moisturizer and KeraCare Humecto conditioner as this works very well when my hair is wet. As for when it's dry, the olive oil is okay but it's still dry.

Thank you!!
BeautifullyNapptural
BeautifullyNapptural

Back to top Go down

Experiences with scab hair Empty Re: Experiences with scab hair

Post by BeautifullyNapptural 7th June 2010, 8:09 pm

Here's my hair after a flexi-rod. I did it Saturday, and here it is today.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

One month post relaxer

BeautifullyNapptural
BeautifullyNapptural

Back to top Go down

Post by JossBella 7th June 2010, 10:10 pm

My hair is just like yours. Especially the crown. It's a different texture and SOAKS up moisture and it doesn't seem to work. I don't know if it's damaged or not.
JossBella
JossBella

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifullyNapptural 8th June 2010, 7:26 am

For me I think it's damaged. Well, I know it's damaged! It's still too early to determine my texture, but I know my natural hair isn't this day. I was natural until 14 when my aunt put a perm in my hair because she couldn't comb it. My hair broke off bad and my mom had to have it all cut off and gave me a jheri curl...not the best thing to do for a child who was big at the time! I cried the whole ride home! I've had relaxers ever since.
BeautifullyNapptural
BeautifullyNapptural

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 8th June 2010, 3:18 pm

Just try keeping it moisturized. When I first started transitioning, I had a patch of hair in the middle that just wouldn't get with the program, but I kept trying different kinds of moisturizers on it (water based, oils, creams and butters). With continued co-washing, it has softened dramatically and I found out that lotion-like moisturizers work best on that part of my hair. Right now I'm using sheamoisture curl milk from Target. I've also used Palmers hair lotion with great results. The hardest part it learning what your new hair likes because many of the products I used on my relaxed hair just don't work on my new growth. Keep trying & good luck.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifullyNapptural 8th June 2010, 6:02 pm

Thank you freckledmom4! I actually have Shea Moisture products. I mix the conditioner with my KeraCare Humecto conditioner.
BeautifullyNapptural
BeautifullyNapptural

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 8th June 2010, 6:36 pm

Speaking of scab hair, I just watched a youtube video in which Msvcharles said she thought she had scab hair , but it turned out that it was just dry so maybe that's the case with you too.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifullyNapptural 8th June 2010, 11:32 pm

I hope so! I had to wash my hair twice today after I did a co-wash with the Shea Moisture conditioner. I don't care for this product much. It may be better when I'm completely natural, but I don't think my relaxed hair likes it. I'm looking into the transitioning kit sold by naturallycurly.
BeautifullyNapptural
BeautifullyNapptural

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 9th June 2010, 9:58 am

My hair didn't like the deep treatment mask by shea moisture either [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] , but I was able to use it on my daughters 3c hair with not problems. I really like the damagaed hair shampoo and the coconut curl milk though. I thought about the transitioning kit, but it was too pricey for me to experiment with. So far, HEHH and HE Hydralicious are the only conditioners my hair likes for co-washing. I tried Garnier Fructis yesterday b/c it was on sale for $2 & my hair seemed offended.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by Lavendar 12th June 2010, 2:11 pm

I can't tell if I have scab hair or if my hair follicles are traumatized by the 20+ years of chemical exposure, but something is definitely not right with parts of my hair. The crown hair and top strip of hair that runs from the front to the crown is totally different in texture. It started off extremely dry, crispy, and wiry in texture. It's very fuzzy and cottony and has no curl pattern, as compared to the rest of my 4a hair. It looks like a hair type I haven't seen classified yet. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I will say that it was rough trying to style and deal with these sections. Now that I'm 7+ months post, the area is developing some wave/curl and is getting better to manage. It's still fuzzy and much drier-looking than the other parts of my hair, but it's very gradually changing. Moisture, moisture, moisture is essential. I discovered AO HSR and AO GPB conditioners mixed with oil give my hair major moisture, so I have been sticking with those and rotating them. I saw an immediate difference from the first DC. Freckledmom, my hair didn't like the shea deep treatment mask as a DC, but it works well as a styling cream. The jar says it can be used as a leave-in so I apply it under oil and gel and it works great that way. BN, I DC twice a week in hopes of getting up to peak moisture level so I can finally manage this "strange" hair texture. But again, it is very gradually changing.
Lavendar
Lavendar

http://public.fotki.com/LavendarCurls/

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifullyNapptural 12th June 2010, 4:37 pm

freckledmom4 wrote:My hair didn't like the deep treatment mask by shea moisture either [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] , but I was able to use it on my daughters 3c hair with not problems. I really like the damagaed hair shampoo and the coconut curl milk though. I thought about the transitioning kit, but it was too pricey for me to experiment with. So far, HEHH and HE Hydralicious are the only conditioners my hair likes for co-washing. I tried Garnier Fructis yesterday b/c it was on sale for $2 & my hair seemed offended.

Lol @ "My hair seemed offended." Yeah, I think my relaxed hair isn't liking the all natural products right now. I bought Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner and my hair seems to like it. I also bout Shea and Aloe mixed and my hair likes that as well.
BeautifullyNapptural
BeautifullyNapptural

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifullyNapptural 12th June 2010, 11:21 pm

Thank you Lavendar! I'm going to try and hold out as long as I can and keep it moisturized!
BeautifullyNapptural
BeautifullyNapptural

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down