CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mstokes2008-Straight hair & 1 year since my last relaxer!!

+52
curlya
naturallynola
mizcreativelyme
wyldhoney
swoodward
freckledmom4
thetiffany
LovingLife
nattyblog
cyclingchick
Fabulousat50
WhosThatRedHead
AfrikanLatina
Ebbz
Buttercup76
QuietButterfly
missmoriah
coilykinks
curlsunfurled
CocaColaCutie
ladykay6
curly-me-naturally
ChrsLvsBks
poeticlyspkng
krazy coils
iri9109
priceless
Muz
jlowman1
TheRYL1
DvaAuNaturel
tiashaunteƩ
ktoliver5303
NubieNatty
Nikcoils
jcanalena79
talljournalist
sweetdrk1
CrissyQ
Intelligentbeauty
Erica5417
Lynnieluve
NhappyJackie
BlondeByDesire
KinkyNappyHappy
bholmes87
Cherry: extraordinary!
MellowOne
LaToya28
SheeTacular
Juices-n-Berries
mstokes2008
56 posters

Page 16 of 18 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Go down

Mstokes2008-Straight hair & 1 year since my last relaxer!! - Page 16 Empty Re: Mstokes2008-Straight hair & 1 year since my last relaxer!!

Post by mstokes2008 22nd October 2010, 12:34 pm

CrissyQ wrote:
mstokes2008 wrote:GLAAD's website!!

Today is Spirit Day in the GLAAD community, and I have many friends that are gay or lesbian and the cruelty against homosexual people is absolutely ridiculous! I never thought it would affect me so much, but it does. No one deserves to be mistreated period. Especially not because of their sexual preferences. What if every gay person attacked straight people solely because we were attracted to the opposite sex? People would be losing their minds! It's just not right. I don't have time to go on and on about it, but it gets to me soooooooooooo bad. So today is Spirit Day and I wear Purple to support and remember those who took their own life's because of the evil, stereotypical, insensitive, haters in the world. It will get better. NO H8.

We need a like button on here. if we did I would push it.

sweetdrk1 wrote:Ditto!

lol I know right!

Juices-n-Berries wrote:Your hair's doing well and growing growing growing. Good luck in the military.

Thanks JnB!

wyldhoney wrote:Congrats on joining the Air Force, and I'm happy to read your No H8 message. I'll certainly be forwarding this along.

Your hair is looking miiiight cute, as well! I need to have you come down to conduct some in-person styling lessons, because these are so awesome!

lol thank you, I'm really excited.

lol thanks, I really need to step my styling game up. I use to always just do puffs but I'm at the stage where wearing it out like that gives me tangles that aren't even worth it. I'm ready to try some twist pinup styles
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Mstokes2008-Straight hair & 1 year since my last relaxer!! - Page 16 Empty Re: Mstokes2008-Straight hair & 1 year since my last relaxer!!

Post by swoodward 22nd October 2010, 10:19 pm

I hear you. I have been a lazy lady the last few weeks. I can't wait for my hair to grow longer so I can bun and bun twists.
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 28th October 2010, 7:39 am

^^^^ to bun and to think I can twist and bun...what a goal to strive for.

**sighing and dreaming** LOL

Hey Mstokes...

What have you been up to lately?
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 28th October 2010, 8:15 am

swoodward wrote:I hear you. I have been a lazy lady the last few weeks. I can't wait for my hair to grow longer so I can bun and bun twists.

Man buns... that will be the day lol. Especially with me going in the Air Force and having to either wear my hair short or pulled back. I'm hoping to be bunning by Feb :\

Hopefully I'll be able to twist my hair back up sometime before the weekend is here and over. I keep aiming for mini twists but I can never stay consistent with them being small lol

KinkyNappyHappy wrote:^^^^ to bun and to think I can twist and bun...what a goal to strive for.

**sighing and dreaming** LOL

Hey Mstokes...

What have you been up to lately?

Lol I know right haha. But I haven't been up to much... just working Sad I ended up having to withdraw from school. So for the next few years I am in the real world for real and just being a working woman... it hit me the other day that while most of my friends are planning out their next few years for graduation I wont be joining in those plans... but oh well. I'm convinced there are bigger and better things planned for me Smile

Besides that I've just been trying to get back on my work out game. After I swore in on the 13th its like I took an extended break Evil or Very Mad so I gotta get back to it.

Have a good day ladies!!
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 29th October 2010, 12:19 am

Can't you finish school while you are in the service? You will be fine just watch and see. You and your friends will be sipping tea and making play dates for your kids in no time..smile
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 29th October 2010, 9:35 am

I can finish it while I'm in the service but it would still be awhile because theres a bunch of really time consuming tests you have to take and pass when you get to your first base before they will let you go to school. My friend has been at this base with me since like Jun 2009 and hes just going to be able to start school within the next few weeks. So idk.

But thanks for the words of encouragement, I needed that Smile
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 9th November 2010, 12:19 pm

Morning Curlies!

I think I may not be doing protective styles this winter. The yarn braids did not work for me for whatever reason so after only a week I took them out lol. For whatever reason my two strand twists STILL refuse to cooperate with me. The crown of my head and some of my hair in the front are a looser texture, I know that whatever, but it seems whatever I do to attempt to keep it twisted it laughs at me. Regardless of what size I make them or what products I use those sections never never never will stay twisted and its so frustrating. Idk what to do. My hair is about 4-5" all over so its clearly long enough to twist but dealing with those sections makes me not even want to bother twisting it. Sad

I'm really hoping to gain and retain some good length by the time I leave for Basic in March but the way things are going right now I'm leaning towards cutting it (which I was considering anyway because of how easy it'll be while I'm in training) But I want to see my hair's full potential and this awkward length phase sucks and I don't want to really go through it again.

I don't have the money right now to get my hair kinky twisted and I don't like braids of pretty much any type. I don't want to go back to wigs and weaves but that may be my only option for the time being. Someone please help me.

Any suggestions?
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 9th November 2010, 2:04 pm

Hey Mstokes,

What are you using to twist your hair? Also do you twist your hair wet, damp or dry? I have the same problem since the crown area of my hair is very loose. I always try to use some type of product with hold and I usually have to make the twists in the top smaller. Sometimes I end up retwisting them if they don't stay twisted.

I usually try to style the crown area damp or wet since it holds more than when I've twisted that area dry.

krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by mizcreativelyme 9th November 2010, 4:27 pm

I have a similar issue with my hair in the front due to lack of texture. But either using a product with a little hold may help OR what I recently did was twisted my hair while dry/stretched. I sectioned the hair, and dryed it one section at a time - stretch the section taut, hold the blowdryer at arms length on low heat just for a moment and then on high/cool setting. Some may debate re heat damage, but it worked for me without any damaging effects and the twists stayed better than they do when I twist them while wet. After twisting, I pinned the ends down to the scalp with hair pins. If you can help it, try not to cut your hair b/c you will be back at square one eventually, wanting more length for style variations. Hair grows, on average, 1/2 inch per month. So by March, you will have more length than you currently have. Even though it may be frustrating right now, just try to be patient and hang in there. cheers
mizcreativelyme
mizcreativelyme

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherry: extraordinary! 9th November 2010, 5:15 pm

Im at an awkward stage too, the "slightly longer than a twa" so i cant wng my hair for longer than a day or itll get tangled No so for a protective style, i twist my hair and pin back the ones in the the front and put on a scarf, then a knit hat (i go into more detail on my csj [ here ]).

Can you cornrow or flat-twist? If so you can cornrow/flat-twist your hair to the front of your head, and pin the ones at the front back that way they will stay (or you can bantu knot the front [or braid it] if the twists still wont stay) and when you go out, you can put on a knit cap (+ scarf) and unravel the twists(/braids/bantu knots) that are showing for curly bangs. Very Happy thats what i plan on doing when my hair grows out more.
good luck and I hope that helps Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 9th November 2010, 10:13 pm

So here's how I fixed things today... My first twist pin up!!

I got a lot of compliments too Smile

Mstokes2008-Straight hair & 1 year since my last relaxer!! - Page 16 Img00010

Mstokes2008-Straight hair & 1 year since my last relaxer!! - Page 16 Img00011

Mstokes2008-Straight hair & 1 year since my last relaxer!! - Page 16 Img00015

Mstokes2008-Straight hair & 1 year since my last relaxer!! - Page 16 Img00014

mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 9th November 2010, 10:18 pm

Looking good! Like everyone else said, hang in there!

Last edited by sweetdrk1 on 12th November 2010, 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 9th November 2010, 10:24 pm

krazy coils wrote:Hey Mstokes,

What are you using to twist your hair? Also do you twist your hair wet, damp or dry? I have the same problem since the crown area of my hair is very loose. I always try to use some type of product with hold and I usually have to make the twists in the top smaller. Sometimes I end up retwisting them if they don't stay twisted.

I usually try to style the crown area damp or wet since it holds more than when I've twisted that area dry.

Hey KC!

I've used Eco Styler Gel, Eco Custard, Loc & Twist gel, Oyin Shine & Define, Oyin Burnt Pomade, KCCC (which actually gave me decent results), and shea butter to do my twists. I don't like using the KCCC because when I would seal with EVOO they kind of reacted against each other.

I've also done my twists on wet, damp, blown out hair, and regular dry hair. And I think the blowout ones may have held better which didn't make sense to me. It just sucks that I would have to do the crown really tiny which would mean the rest would have to be tiny so it doesn't look odd lol.

Thanks for replying Smile

curlsntwirls wrote:I have a similar issue with my hair in the front due to lack of texture. But either using a product with a little hold may help OR what I recently did was twisted my hair while dry/stretched. I sectioned the hair, and dryed it one section at a time - stretch the section taut, hold the blowdryer at arms length on low heat just for a moment and then on high/cool setting. Some may debate re heat damage, but it worked for me without any damaging effects and the twists stayed better than they do when I twist them while wet. After twisting, I pinned the ends down to the scalp with hair pins. If you can help it, try not to cut your hair b/c you will be back at square one eventually, wanting more length for style variations. Hair grows, on average, 1/2 inch per month. So by March, you will have more length than you currently have. Even though it may be frustrating right now, just try to be patient and hang in there. cheers

Thanks, I don't think I will cut it just because I don't want to be back at square one lol but who knows, I love how TWAs look lol. The twists I did a few weeks ago on blown out hair held pretty good but I didn't do my whole head like that because I got tired lol.

Cherry: extraordinary! wrote:Im at an awkward stage too, the "slightly longer than a twa" so i cant wng my hair for longer than a day or itll get tangled No so for a protective style, i twist my hair and pin back the ones in the the front and put on a scarf, then a knit hat (i go into more detail on my csj [ here ]).

Can you cornrow or flat-twist? If so you can cornrow/flat-twist your hair to the front of your head, and pin the ones at the front back that way they will stay (or you can bantu knot the front [or braid it] if the twists still wont stay) and when you go out, you can put on a knit cap (+ scarf) and unravel the twists(/braids/bantu knots) that are showing for curly bangs. Very Happy thats what i plan on doing when my hair grows out more.
good luck and I hope that helps Smile

Hey Cherry, I know what you mean about the WnGs. I use to do them ALL the time, now I wouldn't dare, the tangles I get are so not worth it.

My flat twist and cornrowing skills are HORRIBLE!!! My parts never stay neat and I can never get them tight enough, so I got tired of trying at one point lol. I have the knit caps in all colors but in the office that I work at, they don't really go with the "professional" look but I usually bust them out on Fridays are really good days lol. Those things are my lifesavers on the weekends though lol
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherry: extraordinary! 10th November 2010, 1:13 am

ah work styles Neutral due to the fact that im a kid, not really my forte. scratch but hmm i suppose that a roller-set would work nicely, especially since its colder this time of year. oh, and i love the pin up! pin ups with flowers always look so glamourous Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 10th November 2010, 1:53 am

Mstokes, your hair is very pretty! I have 2 areas that are loose due to Bentonite loosening my curl and I ffigured out the flat twist would help blend those sections with the rest of my hair. The twists don't have to be perfect to get the job done. Mine are far from perfect, but the twistout comes out fine. The key is keeping your hands close to the scalp and maintaining firm tension. There are plenty of youtube videos. I like Autum maybe you can watch her vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxnhNpowAi8&feature=related. Hopefully, it will be helpful.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 10th November 2010, 3:27 am

Hey Mstokes,
Long time no talk too...lol! I haven't stopped by your CSJ in a minute. Anyway, I like your pinup style. You look so cute. Good luck with resolving your hair dilemma.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 10th November 2010, 11:37 am

sweetdrk1 wrote: Looking good! Like overtone else said, hang in there!

Thanks Sweet!!

Cherry: extraordinary! wrote:ah work styles Neutral due to the fact that im a kid, not really my forte. scratch but hmm i suppose that a roller-set would work nicely, especially since its colder this time of year. oh, and i love the pin up! pin ups with flowers always look so glamourous Very Happy

lol you're so silly. I still have yet to try a roller-set. I really want to straighten my hair but I'm so afraid. And I'm loving this pin up, it saves so much time in the morning lol

naturalnolagirl1900 wrote:Mstokes, your hair is very pretty! I have 2 areas that are loose due to Bentonite loosening my curl and I ffigured out the flat twist would help blend those sections with the rest of my hair. The twists don't have to be perfect to get the job done. Mine are far from perfect, but the twistout comes out fine. The key is keeping your hands close to the scalp and maintaining firm tension. There are plenty of youtube videos. I like Autum maybe you can watch her vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxnhNpowAi8&feature=related. Hopefully, it will be helpful.

I totally forgot that I read bentonite clay can loosen curl pattern? Do you know how long those effects last? I think I've done a mask 3 times in the past 2 months.... hmm thats probably not helping it lol. But I'll have to watch that video when I get off work. Thanks!

DvaAuNaturel wrote:Hey Mstokes,
Long time no talk too...lol! I haven't stopped by your CSJ in a minute. Anyway, I like your pinup style. You look so cute. Good luck with resolving your hair dilemma.

Thanks Dva!!! Hope all is well for you, I'm going to stop by your CSJ later this evening, I sure hope school is going well for you!
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 10th November 2010, 11:38 am

I'm so loving this pinup style!!!! Its so easy!!! I've totally cut down my time getting ready in the morning (although it doesn't help that I spend the time that I've "saved" on CN) lol oh well maybe one day I'll get it together
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by ktoliver5303 10th November 2010, 12:04 pm

OMG LOOK AT YOU!!! YOU LOOK GREAT AND THE HAIR IS AWESOME!! I love your pin ups! How have you been?
ktoliver5303
ktoliver5303

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 10th November 2010, 12:17 pm

That is cute! Can't wait until I get there.
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 10th November 2010, 12:25 pm

Love the pinup style, it looks great!
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 10th November 2010, 5:05 pm

I love it!!!! Too cute!! So you've started decorating for Christmas? LOL

When are you coming to Houston Thursday or Friday? Just remember if you are still going by there; Uncle Funky's is open from 10am to 6pm.

I didn't know that Bentonite Clay would loosen your curls. Interesting...very interesting.

KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by curlya 10th November 2010, 5:51 pm

Mstokes - looks good. And I see that christmas tree in the background Wink Love it! I decorated the inside of my house this past weekend. Love Christmas!
curlya
curlya

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 10th November 2010, 8:03 pm

That pin up is super cute!!! Love the flower too!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 11th November 2010, 1:17 am

ktoliver5303 wrote:OMG LOOK AT YOU!!! YOU LOOK GREAT AND THE HAIR IS AWESOME!! I love your pin ups! How have you been?

Hey KT!!!!! How have you been?? Ive been pretty well. I'm off to visit your CSJ!!

CrissyQ wrote:That is cute! Can't wait until I get there.

Thanks! You'll get there soon enough!!

jlowman1 wrote:Love the pinup style, it looks great!

Thanks lady!

KinkyNappyHappy wrote:I love it!!!! Too cute!! So you've started decorating for Christmas? LOL

When are you coming to Houston Thursday or Friday? Just remember if you are still going by there; Uncle Funky's is open from 10am to 6pm.

I didn't know that Bentonite Clay would loosen your curls. Interesting...very interesting.

lol no I was in my mom's office and our co-worker makes everyone Christmas trees. Hers was Spurs yuck Mad lol

I am coming to Houston early Friday afternoon, do you know if they sell any sample packs of stuff??

I didn't know that about the clay either lol. Havent quite decided how I feel about that one

curlya wrote:Mstokes - looks good. And I see that christmas tree in the background Wink Love it! I decorated the inside of my house this past weekend. Love Christmas!

lol thanks! I love Christmas too!! My mini tree is turquoise and pink Smile

Lynnieluve wrote:That pin up is super cute!!! Love the flower too!

Thanks Lynnie! That means alot coming from you because your pin up styles are amazing!
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 18 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next