CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Detangling Made All The Difference........

5 posters

Go down

Detangling Made All The Difference........ Empty Detangling Made All The Difference........

Post by Koily_K-Lo 24th March 2010, 11:05 pm

Okay...... If while reading this you want to laugh or shake your head and say "Lord have mercy on that Girl" [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] , I truly understand.....

Quick History: I b/c'd back in Sept and rediscovered my tight coily curls. Initially, because my hair was so short, I did not detangle while conditioning because there wasn't anything to detangle...... So as my hair has grown over the past few months, I continued this same process and "detangled" with my fingers...... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Right now I'm starting to giggle at my ignorance and "youthfulness" as a new natural. Yes, for the last 6 months, I have NEVER taken a comb to my head.... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Did I mention the part about me being LOW maintenance with my hair to border line lazy???

This morning I jumped in the shower & for some reason, The "Spirit of Detangling" came over me ...... (Thank you Lord!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ) Side note: I am EXTREMELY TENDER HEADED .......... So this detangling session and I do mean SESSION literally had this grown woman ready to cry like a baby. Who woud have thought that 3.5" of hair could cause so much emotion and PAIN. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I had this detangling mess on my head, conditioner running in my eyes cuz I hit a tangle that made them pop wide open [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] and the fear that this was going to take so long that I would run out of the hot water.
I think at one point, I was even speaking in tongues [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I literally got out of the shower, loaded up on MORE conditioner and continued to work my way through the curls. I felt like one of those guides on one of those old Tarzan episodes making his way through the jungle with a machete!!!.... fightin'.... sweatin....swearing.....and swingin'.......

Once it was all said and done and I looked like Buck Wheat's and Don King's love child, I rinsed, re-conditioned & followed the rest of my "routine" and was on my merry way, desperately needing a serious drink [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] and a nap..... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] !!! A few hours later, I reached up and began to play with my curls and HOLY BAT CURLS.... they were far more defined, a lot more elongated, and greatly separated. My daughter calls my hair Puff & Stuff because my hair usually looks like a curly fro. Today she said my curls looked like a bunch of itty bitty springy pellets ..... I guess there was a compliment in there somewhere..... I know the comedian in her is trying to think of a clever new name!!

So, I have learned my lesson and will from this day forward be detangling!! Yes, I'm still lazy, so pray for me that I at least do it every other day if not at least twice a week!!!!! Hey..... I'm honest!!

I would upload pics, but for the life of us, my daughter and I cannot get the camera to "focus" enough to show the actual definition. Oh well. We'll keep trying. Photographers, we ain't!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Anyone else out there lazy/"low maintenance" like me or am I from some alien race? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Koily_K-Lo
Koily_K-Lo

Back to top Go down

Detangling Made All The Difference........ Empty Re: Detangling Made All The Difference........

Post by dajewel 25th March 2010, 10:57 am

actually, i have eliminated the use of combs in my hair. i don't even know where my combs are. i simply finger detangle. i always co-wash/shampoo my hair in twists, dc, rinse, untwist, detangle with fingers and retwist. hth
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Detangling Made All The Difference........ Empty Re: Detangling Made All The Difference........

Post by MikMont 25th March 2010, 11:06 am

I went to a natural hair salon for a trim, mind you I bc'd just a week before the salon visit, and she was like "um so when was the last time you combed your hair?" I said well I havent combed this whole week. She proceeds to let me know that I need to comb my hair every other day - no exceptions. lol.
MikMont
MikMont

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 25th March 2010, 11:15 am

really?? don't listen to her lol
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by Koily_K-Lo 25th March 2010, 12:04 pm

I thought the finger detangling was doing the job. It was, for the most part. I found that all of, if not the vast majority of my tangles were near the end of the curls. It was like a "fake me out". The comb would start moving and then it was like POW, I hit a tangle. So now I'm wondering if there is a detangler out there that would help to prevent if not eliminate this?????
Koily_K-Lo
Koily_K-Lo

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 25th March 2010, 12:15 pm

there are good products, but the extent of detangling has alot to do with regimen. how do you usually wear your hair? out or twisted or in some type of a protective style? the more you keep your hair out, the more likely it is to dry (and it is the ends that dry first) and more dry the more likely hair tangles. how often do you moisturize? products that have behentrimonium methosulfate , behentrimonium chloride or marshmellow root are offer good slip. actually, there are two products that i am in the process of analyzing, and one of them offers very good detangling (Qhemet Biologics Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee)
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by Koily_K-Lo 25th March 2010, 12:34 pm

I typically where my hair out and with a head band. Since my hair is only 3.5 inches long but with EXTREME shrinkage. I moisturize daily because my hair seems to be dying of thirst. It's like it lives in a desert. Anyday I expect to find a camel in my bathroom!!

I will have to try out the Qhemet and look for products that contain the b------ (I ain't even gonna make the attempt!)

Honestly, I can't wait to get at least 2-3 more inches in length because I love twists.... I put my daughters hair up in them all the time and it's GORGEOUS!!! Not to mention I am lazy and can rock a do for several days or more with out having a great deal of daily maintenance.

If you wanna see pics of my hair you can see them here:

https://servimg.com/view/14964891/14

https://servimg.com/view/14964891/15

If the links don't come up, it under "Can a Sistah Get some Sheen Please?" It was my FINALLY posting. I just did a search for "Sistah" it it popped right up.
Koily_K-Lo
Koily_K-Lo

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 25th March 2010, 1:17 pm

Dajewel...I was just like you. RARELY used a comb, if ever. Even swore off the need to use one. Seemed like every time I used a comb, I was losing way too much hair. Then in Feb, I got my hair professionally done for the first time in over 4yrs. The stylists washed my hair with poo 3x. She applied a mix of 8 oils before adding the condish, and deep condish me for 15-20min. She then rinsed it out and blotted my hair. Still dripping, she clipped my hair up and started parting from the back. Once she parted, she took out this wide tooth comb and started combing. She then separated my hair into smaller sections and used a fine tooth comb to comb out my hair prior to twisting. When she say my eyes bug out of my head, she asked, "are you okay???". I was like, I NEVER use a comb. SHe was like, if you are worried about losing hair, trust me you aren't. The only hair you are losing is shedded hair. Then she said, you best believe our hair needs to be combed. So I let her proceed. Always making a point to look at the comb after. She even made a point of showing me how much hair was being removed. I was SHOCKED that it seriously wasn't a lot of hair. And I'd have to admit, those twist lasted me over 3wks. Untwisting them, separating them, etc was a breeze. The 2 tangled areas I had, I just applied pure shea to the area and rubbed it into the tangled. My strands loosed right up and I was able to remove the shedded hairs causing the tangle.

Since then, I've washed my hair about 7x. Each time, I wash (or cowash) with my hair in twist. I first hand detangle in the shower during the condish stage. Then I apply Giovanni leave in and my shea mix on damp hair. I make sure both are rubbed into my hair, then I detangle w/ a wide tooth comb, followed by a fine tooth comb. I go through my hair about 2-3x or until I can run the comb straight through without feeling kinks. I then apply ORS twist and loc gel and start twisting. My twist are more defined and less frizzy. My twistouts are nice and soft for 4-5 days w/out feeling dry/matted. And my overall hair just looks better. So for me, I definitely benefited from seeing this stylist comb my hair. I know everyones hair is different, but I'm definitely sold on combing my hair.
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by StephanieB 25th March 2010, 1:33 pm

oooop2 wrote:Dajewel...I was just like you. RARELY used a comb, if ever. Even swore off the need to use one. Seemed like every time I used a comb, I was losing way too much hair. Then in Feb, I got my hair professionally done for the first time in over 4yrs. The stylists washed my hair with poo 3x. She applied a mix of 8 oils before adding the condish, and deep condish me for 15-20min. She then rinsed it out and blotted my hair. Still dripping, she clipped my hair up and started parting from the back. Once she parted, she took out this wide tooth comb and started combing. She then separated my hair into smaller sections and used a fine tooth comb to comb out my hair prior to twisting. When she say my eyes bug out of my head, she asked, "are you okay???". I was like, I NEVER use a comb. SHe was like, if you are worried about losing hair, trust me you aren't. The only hair you are losing is shedded hair. Then she said, you best believe our hair needs to be combed. So I let her proceed. Always making a point to look at the comb after. She even made a point of showing me how much hair was being removed. I was SHOCKED that it seriously wasn't a lot of hair. And I'd have to admit, those twist lasted me over 3wks. Untwisting them, separating them, etc was a breeze. The 2 tangled areas I had, I just applied pure shea to the area and rubbed it into the tangled. My strands loosed right up and I was able to remove the shedded hairs causing the tangle.

Since then, I've washed my hair about 7x. Each time, I wash (or cowash) with my hair in twist. I first hand detangle in the shower during the condish stage. Then I apply Giovanni leave in and my shea mix on damp hair. I make sure both are rubbed into my hair, then I detangle w/ a wide tooth comb, followed by a fine tooth comb. I go through my hair about 2-3x or until I can run the comb straight through without feeling kinks. I then apply ORS twist and loc gel and start twisting. My twist are more defined and less frizzy. My twistouts are nice and soft for 4-5 days w/out feeling dry/matted. And my overall hair just looks better. So for me, I definitely benefited from seeing this stylist comb my hair. I know everyones hair is different, but I'm definitely sold on combing my hair.

I do something similar to this. With conditioner in my hair, I detangle with my fingers as much as possible, then I go through with a wide tooth comb. As I part my hair to twist, I run a fine tooth comb through my hair. I tried just the finger detangling, but it wasn't enough. I haven't noticed more hair loss or breaking either. Like oooop2 said, everybody's hair is different though.

StephanieB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down