CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Detangling Necessary?

+4
Neems
Peachtree
Lynnieluve
QuirkyCurly
8 posters

Go down

Is Detangling Necessary? Empty Is Detangling Necessary?

Post by QuirkyCurly 23rd October 2010, 6:09 pm

Hey Guys!

I wanted to know if detangling your hair is as necessary as people make it seem. Before I went natural, I almost never detangled and my hair was just fine. Is it apart of the CG method? How often should you do it. I'm also trying to figure out why my hair has short strands in some areas and think detangling might be the cause.

Please and Thanks Very Happy
QuirkyCurly
QuirkyCurly

Back to top Go down

Is Detangling Necessary? Empty Re: Is Detangling Necessary?

Post by Lynnieluve 23rd October 2010, 6:25 pm

It is necessary for me. If you wear wash n gos all the time, I guess you wouldnt have to do it as often as someone who wears twist or braids.

The short hair are either breakage or new growth. I say this because when your hair sheds, the entire strand comes out so when the new strand goes in, it will be shorter than the rest of your hair.

When detangling, patience and gentleness are KEY so there wont be any breakage.

I hope this helps.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachtree 25th October 2010, 9:08 pm

Detangling is a must for me. My hair is WL but shrinks to my neck/shoulders. Shrinkage causes my strands to curl around themselves and couple that with shed hair could easily result in a matted mess if I don't detangle often.
Peachtree
Peachtree

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachtree 25th October 2010, 9:12 pm

Came back to add...I am super gentle while detangling. I also notice short hairs but know (from 7 yrs in this game) that it's new growth and not breakage.
Peachtree
Peachtree

Back to top Go down

Post by Neems 26th October 2010, 12:16 am

I don't have a regimen for detangling. I wear twists and twists out so I might detangle with conditioner before washing. Or sometimes I spray water and slowly detangle in order to re-style. I noticed that when I need a trim my ends tangle more easily and cause lots of snags.
Neems
Neems

http://neemsnthings.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Is Detangling Necessary? Empty So how much is too much???

Post by Born2BeMe 27th October 2010, 4:01 am

This is exactly what I came on here to find out as well. I know that I need to detangle, but I am really wondering how often. I find myself detangling every week when I wash/condition. I lose the same amount of hair every time so I guess I'm not super worried, but how much detangling is too much? confused
Born2BeMe
Born2BeMe

Back to top Go down

Post by Emartini04 28th October 2010, 5:02 pm

I'm not a wash n go girl but I do co wash my hair every 3 - 4 days and when I do I MUST detangle my hair or it will be extremely tangled once its dry. I twist my hair every night before I go to sleep so just a gentle detangle with conditioner is good for me.
Emartini04
Emartini04

Back to top Go down

Post by naybesa 29th October 2010, 1:28 am

HECK YEA GIRL lol im only 2 1/2 months in and its a must. not because its all matted but its helps me to get out shedding hairs. i dont do it everyday i only do this when i wash my hair and thats about once a week [give or take]. u dont want to be brushing through it all the time but u do need to detangle to get out those shedding ends [unless u want hair all over ur clothes and in ur hands over time lol]. thats the only reason why i would ever worry about it unless ur hair it matted and u cant untangle it for something like a twist out, braid out ect..
hope that helped Smile
naybesa
naybesa

https://www.youtube.com/NayBesa

Back to top Go down

Post by SwirlyCurls90 29th October 2010, 1:37 am

I just detangle w/ a wide tooth comb in the shower every 2-3 days cuz I mostly to wash n go's. I think if you cowash often, the hair doesn't get as tangled so daily "detangling" isn't necessary, just a few quick passes with the comb. However, I have little to no shedding. Is that healthy??? I have been trying to find out for the longest if it's healthy that I barely shed. Like maybe 5-10 hairs per day, tops. No joke. And still just a few when I cleanse.

SwirlyCurls90

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down