CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shea Butter v. Coconut Oil

+5
p_nuttie43
Vee
laleepop14
nikkinixnicole
Melng
9 posters

Go down

Shea Butter v. Coconut Oil Empty Shea Butter v. Coconut Oil

Post by Melng 3rd March 2010, 8:37 pm

Im having problems with my relaxed ends drying out when I put my Bantu Knot outs in them Sad .. i was told by someone on here that Shea Butter and Extra Virgin Olive Oil would do the trick, then i was told by a family member that Coconut oil is the best for any and everything.. If anyone could recommend something else it would be great! Very Happy
Melng
Melng

Back to top Go down

Shea Butter v. Coconut Oil Empty Re: Shea Butter v. Coconut Oil

Post by nikkinixnicole 4th March 2010, 1:09 am

Castor oil is pretty good with dryness! It's all I use in my hair during the winter and it works wonders for me!
Hope this helps [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
nikkinixnicole
nikkinixnicole

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 4th March 2010, 11:10 am

I just made a little whipped mixture this past weekend. I used shea butter(from buttersn bars), coconut oil, and some oils I have( I think rosemary,peppermint, and tea tree) and I must say I am loving it. I combined everything in a jar and whipped it up.. I use it daily to moisturize my ends and new growth. A little goes a long way and I actually made wayyyyy too much, but it was my first try so you live and you learn..Smile

So I think it all depends. My hair loves them both and with them combined its even better. Just my own experience. I am currently 7 months into transitioning and am just experimenting to see what works best for my hair. I have a ton of new growth and am ready to get rid of my ends, but am not ready for such a short cut, especially considering shrinkage which my hair loves!!

Hope it helped...some...
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by Melng 4th March 2010, 2:51 pm

I just ordered shea butter and coconut oil but until it comes im using doo gro and some African pride stuff.. work for the most part but at the end of the day my hair is really brittle.
Melng
Melng

Back to top Go down

Post by Vee 4th March 2010, 5:43 pm

I am glad you posted this Melng. I am having problems with my permed ends too and was just talking to my mom about coconut oil and shea butter [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] .

I was thinking about ordering some too real soon. Where did you order yours from?
Vee
Vee

Back to top Go down

Post by Melng 4th March 2010, 9:00 pm

i ordered mine form amazon.. but i heard about about other sites that sell shea butter unfortified..
Melng
Melng

Back to top Go down

Post by p_nuttie43 5th March 2010, 12:47 pm

butters n bars has some nice shea butter and other oils. i get my coconut oil UNREFINED from whole foods.
p_nuttie43
p_nuttie43

Back to top Go down

Post by Melng 5th March 2010, 12:59 pm

lol!! un refined my bad.. is that coconut oil better for your hair??
Melng
Melng

Back to top Go down

Post by Raytay 5th March 2010, 3:44 pm

Vee wrote:I am glad you posted this Melng. I am having problems with my permed ends too and was just talking to my mom about coconut oil and shea butter [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] .

I was thinking about ordering some too real soon. Where did you order yours from?

Check your local beauty supply stores (not Sally's, but the corner store ones [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ) especially if you live in an urban area. I found unrefined Shea Butter without having to buy it online. My beauty supply store sells it by the pound. literally.
Raytay
Raytay

Back to top Go down

Post by Vee 5th March 2010, 9:04 pm

YAY ME!!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I was able to find some unrefined Shea Butter at my local beauty supply store. Now I am on a mission to find some coconut oil...
Vee
Vee

Back to top Go down

Post by Melng 5th March 2010, 10:05 pm

REALLY!! im going to llok in mines tomorrow! lol
Melng
Melng

Back to top Go down

Post by MsVera 13th March 2010, 1:27 pm

I still have some relaxed ends..maybe 1.5 to 2" ( I cut most of mine away in mid Jan.) and for my 2 strand twists I've been using straight raw-unrefined shea butter.
1st I have either co-washed or shampooed/conditioned with sulfate-free Hair One Cleanser-Conditioner "Olive Oil for Dry Hair" and then I use either straight up Hair One or Hair One mixed with VO5 Moisture Milks (or other) for my leave-in and then allow my hair to air dry to about 70% before I rub some shea butter in my hands and run it throughout my hair. I love the fact that this Hair One has sooo many uses; it's a great leave-in for me. Anyways, with the Shea Butter, I concentrate on the ends using fingers only. Before I take the fully dry twists down I use a little more on just the ends...I put it on pretty lightly....the center of my crown area needs it the most and sometimes I only need it in this area as this is my troubled/super coarse and driest area. Hair comes out super shiny, soft and those frizzed out twists are a thing of the past [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In between shampoo-dc days now anymore I'll be using the Aussie Moist spritz (cond. mixed with water) when I redo my twists or just to freshen up the curls! Thanks to the poster (sorry can't remember the name!)who gave me this idea in the Aussie Moist product thread!!

This is what works for me....sorry 'bout the long post
MsVera
MsVera

Back to top Go down

Post by Natural Time 18th March 2010, 4:52 pm

Vee wrote:YAY ME!!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I was able to find some unrefined Shea Butter at my local beauty supply store. Now I am on a mission to find some coconut oil...

Vee,

I live in Birmingham, and I found Spectrum Unrefined Organic Coconut Oil at Whole Foods on 280

Natural Time

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 20th March 2010, 11:19 pm

Do you all have any problems with coconut oil drying your hair out? My hair is feeling and looking so dry right now and I am trying to figure out what caused it. I used some coconut oil today, something I don't normally do. Just wanted to see what others experiences were.

TIA.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down