CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transitioning and Fired My Hairstylist

+3
PaganWifey
neethair
Thinice
7 posters

Go down

Transitioning and Fired My Hairstylist Empty Transitioning and Fired My Hairstylist

Post by Thinice 4th March 2010, 11:38 pm

March is the seventh month of transitioning for me. I was going to a salon that services both relaxed and natural hair. I grew tired of the first stylist due to her unprofessional nature (i.e. late, inconsistent styling, goofing off instead of doing my hair). I switched to a different stylist in the salon She did my twists and was more professional. I scheduled a consultation today to inquire about how my hair was doing (healthy etc) but the stylist was gone. They told me that she would be right back. Well I waited 20 minutes and she never returned. Plus while I waited 2 more clients showed up for her for the same block of time. I bounced out of there.

I am beyond frustrated with hair stylists due to their arrogance (I need them), unprofessional (late, poor time management) or feeling themselves way too much. I am resigned to the fact that I can be my own stylist and care for my hair better than anyone else. I will learn slowly and surely how to care for my own hair.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Thinice
Thinice

Back to top Go down

Transitioning and Fired My Hairstylist Empty Re: Transitioning and Fired My Hairstylist

Post by neethair 5th March 2010, 12:03 am

Thinice-

Good for you[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]. I've been there. I would have been natural at least a year ago if I had fired my old hairdresser. The last time I went to my hair dresser was in Nov 2009, I wanted to have my weaves taken out and get my hair DC and trimmed. She said my hair would not look right and it won't last. I told her to leave the tracks in and that was my last visit. The next week I had my friend help me take the tracks out and I started doing my own hair.

The beauty of doing your own hair is that you get to learn your hair's likes, dislikes when it need DC, moister etc. So take this time to learn your hair. Plus you will save so much money by doing it yourself.
neethair
neethair

Back to top Go down

Transitioning and Fired My Hairstylist Empty Re: Transitioning and Fired My Hairstylist

Post by Thinice 5th March 2010, 12:08 am

Thank you for sharing and encouraging me. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Thinice
Thinice

Back to top Go down

Post by PaganWifey 5th March 2010, 12:44 am

Yep. I've never been completely cool with a stylist.
PaganWifey
PaganWifey

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturaldrea 12th July 2010, 6:27 pm

First off, sorry for my late 2cent, but I'm new to the site. I just thought I'd comment on this, because this hit too close to home with me. I had to let go of my hairstylist as well. Let me start from the beginning... I started going to her after I left my last beautician (she did major color damage to my hair) about two years ago. She was wonderful and was able to salvage what hair I had left...then later had to cut off. However the end results was healthy. Anywho, so now that my hair is in a healthy state, I was indeed happy...until.. My bf was telling me that I should go natural (this was about 1 1/2 ago), then I gave him a funny look [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]. LOL! Then decided to ask my hairstylist what she thought about the idea, she too gave a funny look [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]! So needless to say 1 1/2 years rolled by fast.. Well, my hair started breaking off and getting thin again, so I became very interested in becoming natural (being serious THIS time) again. I did a little research before I asked her. Here's a sample of the dialog: me - "hey I'm seriously thinking about going natural this time. I was reading that I can transition for a period of time before I cut my hair. All I want you to do is keep my hair trimmed and style it for me". hairstylist - "what kind of hairstyle you want me to do (while snapping her neck and rolling her eyes)?!?!". me - (after about a five min. pause and calming down) "just some curly styles". hairstylist - "I'm gonna see how long it will be before you give up and put that perm back on it, blah, blah, blah..." January was the last time I saw and spoke with her. My bff goes to her now and she (the hairstylist) commented to her saying.."I thought your friend was gonna let me take care of her hair??" I just laughed when she told me that.

Naturaldrea

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyChefRobin 14th July 2010, 12:31 am

I'm in the process of weaning from my stylist. She is AWESOME! My hair just won't grow with a relaxer. She is fine doing TnC's on me but I don't want to sit under the dryer for 1 1/2 hours while my hair dries, plus I like it better when it air dries. As of this week I'm going to have her line me up and when I need it the occasional trim.
CurlyChefRobin
CurlyChefRobin

http://www.cookingwithcareonline.com

Back to top Go down

Post by quirky_curls 14th July 2010, 6:41 pm

@ naturaldrea, your experience with your stylist is so much like what i'm going through with mine. with each appointment since then i shared that i'm going natural, i leave the salon feeling so defeated l like i don't know what i'm doing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] it almost takes two days for me to build my confidence back up. now i do admit that i'm learning through this journey, and learning is a process. but i expected some form a support being that my stylist is a close family friend.
quirky_curls
quirky_curls

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturaldrea 15th July 2010, 12:01 pm

@ quirky_curls, I know the feeling. I too was counting on my hairstylist for moral support, but we (naturals) just have to accept that everyone is NOT going to be understanding. My family isn't on board with my decision to go natural, either. They think it's crazy of me to wanna cut all my hair off!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I've tried to explain that its for the better, but they are not hearing it. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] However, I've made up my mind and decided to go through with it anyway. After they see my HUGE lamp shade hairdo [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] , they'll come around. I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to follow my footsteps.

Anywho, you just keep your head held high and keeping learning all there is to know about this process. You will reap the rewards, I promise..natural's honor! LOL!

P.S. My bf family thinks I know ALL about going natural now, he brags on me a lot. However, there is SOOOOO much that I don't know.

Naturaldrea

Back to top Go down

Post by quirky_curls 15th July 2010, 3:05 pm

@ naturaldrea, thanks so much for the words of support! being on this forum has helped a lot. i feel so empowered by the information and the encouragement provided here!! i guess i'm realizing that that support system does not include everyone i know. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] i do have the support of my mom, a cousin (who has transitioned to natural) and a sister-in-law (who is my transition buddy). unfortunately, it my husband that's not on board yet. i do think that as he sees me more confident abt my choice that he'll be okay...at least i hope. lol! i agree with you and will do my very best to keep my head held high and learn as much as i can!! and you rock your lamp shade style and post pictures!! thanks again!!
quirky_curls
quirky_curls

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 17th July 2010, 9:58 pm

My stylist is amazing. She's a natural herself. I mainly go because my mom pays, and encourages me to go. My stylist been doing my hair since I was 14ish (20 now), and supported my decision to go natural and has been helpful with tips. The first stylist I ever had ruined my hair and only now that I'm transitioning has my hair been even close in length to when it was when it was first relaxed.

My stylist is sometimes late, but she makes sure to call and say she's on her way, I can respect that sometimes life gets in the way, and that she has the courtesy to call. She's professional and also good to be around at the same time.

I'm sorry you ladies had such a bad experience with your stylists, but doing your own hair is very exciting, so I hope you all have fun. Smile
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down