CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To Weave or not to Weave?

+3
Janique
lexibugg004
cdawnlujan
7 posters

Go down

To Weave or not to Weave? Empty To Weave or not to Weave?

Post by cdawnlujan 19th February 2010, 4:07 pm

I've been doing my research on protective styling and I came across on a forum that having a weave is another way to do protective styling. I'm thinking about getting a sew in with the net, a full one so my entire head is braided. What do you guys think?
cdawnlujan
cdawnlujan

Back to top Go down

To Weave or not to Weave? Empty Re: To Weave or not to Weave?

Post by lexibugg004 20th February 2010, 4:23 am

go for it!! i use weave as a protective style, because individual braids break my hair, and i can never leave them in for very long(four weeks max) defeating the purpose of a protective style in the first place. i am currently wearing a weave, a curly one, as close to my natural texture as i could find. so there isn't much difference in how i have to treat this hair versus my natural, it make going back and forth easier. i say go for it !!
lexibugg004
lexibugg004

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 20th February 2010, 2:17 pm

Through my transition, I used single braids and weaves...but for me personally, single braids were better because my scalp gets so itchy and it was easier to take care of my scalp with the braids
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by Divinebeauty87 20th February 2010, 6:08 pm

I wore weaves for my transition to natural and it made the process so much easier. However, I learned a lesson about keeping a weave in too long....my hair was super dry and I got a lot of breakage after wearing a weave for 3 months...washing and retightening it every 2wks. Bad idea....otherwise, weaves are ok.
Divinebeauty87
Divinebeauty87

Back to top Go down

Post by cdawnlujan 24th February 2010, 12:53 am

Thanks for all of your advise! I think I'm going to do it!!
cdawnlujan
cdawnlujan

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 24th February 2010, 12:57 pm

Weaves were the best protective style during my first year of transitioning. It's because of this low maintenance style that I learned how to care for my natural hair. I cowashed weekly, moisturized with braid sprays and sealed with the oils of my choice. Unlike Divinebeauty's experience, my hair was very moist when I removed my last install. There was shedding and scab hair of course, but that was to be expected if my hair has been tied up for so long. I tightened my hair as needed.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by cdawnlujan 24th February 2010, 6:01 pm

Well I got in touch with a stylist and she asked me if I wanted a full sew in or if I wanted to leave some of my hair out. I have NO idea what is best!!
cdawnlujan
cdawnlujan

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 24th February 2010, 6:04 pm

I say full sew in because you get your whole head to rest...if you get half, the front of your hair is left out and then most likely you will have to use heat to get your natural hair to match the weave, causing damage.....
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by cdawnlujan 24th February 2010, 6:09 pm

true, but I'm scared that it will look too fake or people will know (the top of full sew in's gets on my nerves sometimes) so I'm pretty skeptical that it would look natural on me...
cdawnlujan
cdawnlujan

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 24th February 2010, 6:20 pm

yea i've never had a full sewn in before...what i did was actually but the front in braids or twists and the other half would be a sew in...that might be a better option for you, because I never liked having my hair out in the front...it would get on my nerves in this florida heat!
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by cdawnlujan 24th February 2010, 6:29 pm

hmmm, very VERY interesting and maybe a possibility! Thanks!
cdawnlujan
cdawnlujan

Back to top Go down

Post by Divinebeauty87 24th February 2010, 7:02 pm

@Janique you are right about there being damage to the piece of hair left out to look more natural. The portion of hair that I had exposed while wearing a weave is STILL half the length of the rest of my hair. But I'm just like cdawnlewis....I can't get a full sewn in weave cause I think it looks too fake for me.

Clearly, I have mixed feelings about suggesting someone get a weave even though I've done it in the past. For example, my cousin, whose hair was so long she used to accidentally sit on her poney tail, has been natural for 4 years wearing sewn in weave and still can't get her hair to bsl. The weave helped her retain length after she bc'ed....but after reaching past shoulder length I haven't seen it help her at all. To me, weaves are have advantages and disadvantages (depending on the individual).
Divinebeauty87
Divinebeauty87

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 24th February 2010, 7:20 pm

Did she take care of her hair well or leave the weave in too long...that may be the culprit....When I would get my hair done most of the time, I would have them braid it all the way around and put on a weave ponytail....I often got styles that looked like this.....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by Divinebeauty87 24th February 2010, 7:31 pm

My cousin would take care of her weaves well (unlike the time when I keep mine in too long). I started to think that after your hair got to a certain length and the ends were older that the tugging of the thread was causing the breakage and lack of good retention. But I don't know. That's one of the main reasons I haven't gotten a weave in a while....I'm afraid it will reduce my length retention compared to other protective styles. But like I said before, it was great for my transitioning phase but now I'm unsure???
Divinebeauty87
Divinebeauty87

Back to top Go down

Post by Divinebeauty87 24th February 2010, 7:33 pm

@Janique by the way, cute hair style!
Divinebeauty87
Divinebeauty87

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 24th February 2010, 7:48 pm

Thanks divinebeauty! Well I'm still in the transitioning phase..been going 18 months strong...right now I just have cornrows in my head...cheaper that way since my friend did it for free! It could be the stylist too who does too much manipulation or something...but it could just be the some heads of hair can take more than others....I seen this one girl's fotki and she grew her hair all the way down her back with back to back weaves for like 2 years and she is natural.....
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by PanaR3dd 25th February 2010, 5:56 am

i say go for it..im like the weave queen, i love them..i love my natural hair but when i want a change or when the weather is cold i track it up lol..but just make sure that while you are wearing a weave that you dont neglect your natural hair under it..also make sure they dont braid your hair to tight..you dont want clumps to be falling out and have no edges do to the tension..yeah like the ladies said doing a partial can be very damaging especially if you have a straight sew in and want your hair to blend flat ironing is gonna jack your hair up..if you do get a partial get some curly/textured hair so you can roll your hair up and or twist it to blend it that way..good luck!!!
PanaR3dd
PanaR3dd

Back to top Go down

Post by transitioning? 25th February 2010, 2:51 pm

This maybe a dumb question. But what is retightening a weave? Do you take some of the braids out and redo them. Or do you just add more thread? Also has anyone tried crochet braids. I'm thinking of doing them soon.
transitioning?
transitioning?

Back to top Go down

Post by cdawnlujan 25th February 2010, 7:09 pm

Ok so I think that i've made my decision! I'm getting a deep wave style so that way I can style my natural hair that I am leaving out with curl formers!! Yea!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Thanks everyone for your help!!
cdawnlujan
cdawnlujan

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 1st March 2010, 1:58 pm

good idea to leave some hair. It will blend well with your natural texture anyway. After my first textured weave I vowed never to wear straight weaves again. I prefer the more natural looking hair and I got plenty of compliments. These are photos from my last install. I will reuse this hair for the summer. (www.halleyscurls.com)

HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by cdawnlujan 1st March 2010, 11:20 pm

Beautiful hair hamptonsfnst! I chose to get a style with really deep waves since I love my hair like this when I straighten from time to time and It is versitle enough to straighten and curly as tightly as possible! Yea!!! I'm excited! I get it done on Saturday!
cdawnlujan
cdawnlujan

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 2nd March 2010, 1:24 pm

Can't wait to see your pics so please don't forget to post them.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by cdawnlujan 2nd March 2010, 2:00 pm

Oh i wont forget!
cdawnlujan
cdawnlujan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down