CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Im leaving for basic training next month and my hair is no where near long enough to pull back in a ponytail or bun. What do i do?!

+3
SisterBoyd
splitsun
hdthomas
7 posters

Go down

Im leaving for basic training next month and my hair is no where near long enough to pull back in a ponytail or bun. What do i do?! Empty Im leaving for basic training next month and my hair is no where near long enough to pull back in a ponytail or bun. What do i do?!

Post by hdthomas 14th February 2010, 7:29 pm

this is the length. it has to look neat but you're not aloud to wear head bands or ne thing like that. The only thing i have to work with are bobby pins. also i can't take alot of products with me (they check bags so i can't sneak em [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]) and there's not much time to do my hair either, just a few minutes at night. This leaves few if any options. any ideas?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
hdthomas
hdthomas

Back to top Go down

Im leaving for basic training next month and my hair is no where near long enough to pull back in a ponytail or bun. What do i do?! Empty Re: Im leaving for basic training next month and my hair is no where near long enough to pull back in a ponytail or bun. What do i do?!

Post by hdthomas 14th February 2010, 7:40 pm

here's another angle
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
hdthomas
hdthomas

Back to top Go down

Im leaving for basic training next month and my hair is no where near long enough to pull back in a ponytail or bun. What do i do?! Empty Re: Im leaving for basic training next month and my hair is no where near long enough to pull back in a ponytail or bun. What do i do?!

Post by splitsun 14th February 2010, 10:22 pm

You look like my hair twin Very Happy

Ok, I'm still a bit new but you said you can't walk with a lot of products so just walk with the essentials like your best and most dependable hair oil and conditioner.

What about twisting your hair (1 or 2x per week) and wrapping it at night to keep it neat? Will that work? Are braids allowed? (somehow I don't think so but thought I'd ask)
splitsun
splitsun

Back to top Go down

Post by hdthomas 14th February 2010, 11:06 pm

haha i do....and im not sure.. i asked wer things like two strand twists aloud and heard no. but when i watched basic training videos there are girls who flat twist their hair (in the front).. some girls with cornrows some with siniglese (sp) twists.. alot of things. but i wouldn't have time to re twist my hair. I could only go down there with them but when they start to get old they'll make me take em out. im thinking of just getting braids but im worried about having to wash them and how long they will last cuz u get REALLY dirty lol
hdthomas
hdthomas

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 14th February 2010, 11:18 pm

From what I understand about the service you might have to cut it...I hate to say that. Try flat twist or cornrows and see what happens. You can take one bottle of conditioner, gel, and maybe some shea butter.
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

https://www.youtube.com/sisterboyd, www.blackplanet.com/sisterboy

Back to top Go down

Post by hdthomas 14th February 2010, 11:39 pm

oh gosh... cutting it will definitely be the last resort.. i just BC a few months ago so im trying to hold on to every bit of length i have [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.].. and plus females hair can't b shorter than an inch so id still have the problem of trying to work with the twa, the problem would just be alot worst with it being too short to twist lol
hdthomas
hdthomas

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 14th February 2010, 11:41 pm

I have a friend who is in the service and is natural. I just sent her an IM and asked her what you can do. Hold tight love...
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

Back to top Go down

Post by hdthomas 14th February 2010, 11:42 pm

oh wow..thanks!
hdthomas
hdthomas

Back to top Go down

Post by ktoliver5303 15th February 2010, 3:12 am

@hdthomas- You will not have to cut your hair or anything like that. I currently am a civilian stationed in Iraq living on base with the US Armed Forces. As long as your hair does NOT pass your collar and you can wear a hat on your head. then you are fine. Funny thing it was just yesterday that a military chic saw me and was like afro sista.. LOL.. There are A LOT of naturals out here, more in the military than civilian. You just have to get the right products. I have to shop online for everything. One of the most important thing is a Ship-it-APO account. Below are some helpful links.

Ship it APO - www.shipitapo.com
Carols Duaghter - www.carolsdaughter.com
Drugstore.com - www.drugstore.com
Sams Carribean (I get my oils from here) - www.sams247.com
Oyin Handmade - www.oyinhandmade.com

Miss Jessie products also ship here but you have to go through Ship it APO. DO NOT CUT YOUR HAIR.. which is very pretty by the way.
ktoliver5303
ktoliver5303

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 15th February 2010, 3:40 am

Ok I checked with my friend and she said your best bet is braids. She specifically recommended micros and that you get them right before you leave. She said when she went to basic training is when she did her BC and her hair grew like crazy. She understood that you just BC'd and you don't want it again so she said braids. The braids should be in a style that you can put them in a very neat bun.

As far as wearing you hair now she questioned how much shrinkage you have.

her shrinkage factor has a lot to do with it and basic training is just that the basics so the standards are far more black and white

with her just getting to know her hair sis either cut it for now cause it will be back in no time when she has more time to devote to it or get the braids anything else she will be a stand out and a target for getting picked with all the time

Hope this helps...
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 15th February 2010, 3:41 am

Also, she said to do a Google search on the branch that you're entering and you should be able to find acceptable appearance for women.
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

Back to top Go down

Post by hdthomas 15th February 2010, 3:46 am

thanks.. ill figure it out
hdthomas
hdthomas

Back to top Go down

Post by WilliT0206 16th February 2010, 12:03 am

I'm new to the natural community but I have been in the military for ten years and for Basic Training I would go for the micro braids as well...They should last you about the full length of training. As for products I suggest you just take the basic stuff with you and have people send you the rest of the stuff later on...this is allowed. By the time you graduate from Basic you can take down your braids and do a twist out, finger coil, which ever you prefer and look flyy for your Class A's. When graduations over and you are on to AIT have your braids put back in....by the time they get old you should be at a point in School to were you have more freedom and have a good feel for the military and what the expectations are.....Hope this helps and welcome to the military......
WilliT0206
WilliT0206

Back to top Go down

Post by lucky7 16th February 2010, 12:18 am

I just got out of the Army Reserves after 8 years. There were plenty of natural women with various styles including locs. I agree that microbraids are going to be your best bet for basic. You need something that is going to be low maintenance and fits properly beneath your hat. When I first decided to go natural several years ago, I didn't quite know what I was doing with my hair and my small puff did not work with a field cap. I ended up relaxing again. Get your braids shortly before you go so you don't feel pressured to go back to relaxing! HTH and good luck. Former MAJ Wiles (sounds kinda sad to say that [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
lucky7
lucky7

Back to top Go down

Post by avyishi 16th February 2010, 4:14 pm

Don't worry just re-twist, they will take you to the BX after awhile and then you will be able to get shampoo & conditioner, you'll most likely be able to wash your hair on Sat or Sun. You will get a little free time to wash your clothes, call people and do your hair. I had near waist length curly hair at the time, i mostly wore it braided bcuz it took long for me. Oh another thing you may run into an ignorant female Drill Sgt. that may lie to you and tell you you need to take your braids or twist out..don't fall for it...as long as its above the collar they can't tell you how to wear your hair.
avyishi
avyishi

http://public.fotki.com/beautywithcurls/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down