CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WHere do i begin with transitioning????

+8
naturallyu
bholmes87
NaturallyTee
HAMPTONSFNST
Larell72
jamaicanmecurly
BlondeByDesire
vita1214
12 posters

Go down

WHere do i begin with transitioning???? Empty WHere do i begin with transitioning????

Post by vita1214 7th February 2010, 9:56 am

Hi,
I had my last perm around Nov 2009. On Dec 5th I got my hair braided and left it in until end of Jan 2010. I guess I left it in too long and it pulled out alot of my edges. My hair has been thinning for the past year or so and I know a perm is not the answer right now. I've decided to try and go natural. Problem is I don't know where to begin. A friend of mine has completed her trans and has done the BC. I am soooooooo scared to do the BC. I have about 3 inches of new growth and the rest is thin and permed and I just can't bring myself to the BC Yet. I've purchased all kind of things like AMLA Powder and Shikaki powder and raw shea butter and coconut oil. Only thing is I don't know how to mix them and make a conditioner and then I was told I should only use a paddle brush to deal with my hair. So confused! Also I condition my hair once a week and I think i should be putting in sections and twisting my hair. Only thing is I have so much perm left that it's not much of a thick twist and I have no idea what kind of style I could make out of it....
I need help here ladies! PLEASE give me some guidance!

vita1214

Back to top Go down

WHere do i begin with transitioning???? Empty Re: WHere do i begin with transitioning????

Post by BlondeByDesire 7th February 2010, 10:42 am

Post over in Natural Big Sisters thread too.

From my own experience 90% of my transition I wore my hair in a bun. I co-washed twice a week - DC weekly - and little to no manipulation helped me. Keep your hair moisturized especially around the line decarmation - where the two textures meet. Others will chime in. Also you have a significant amount of new growth 3 inches since November - that's amazing. Some have transitioned using cornrows, micros, wigs, etc. But since your hair line is thinning I would advise against the cornrows.
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

WHere do i begin with transitioning???? Empty Re: WHere do i begin with transitioning????

Post by jamaicanmecurly 7th February 2010, 10:44 am

First things first. Check out curlynikki's main page and look under transitioning... there's a lot of good advice there. I have been transitioning for just as long as you have (last relaxer was November 2009) and I plan to do a long transition.

In Nov and Dec 2009, I just did my usual. But once January came and I
missed my first touch-up, I began to actively transition. Here is what
I realized in the first couple weeks of my active transition- there is
A LOT of good information out there and EVEN MORE products and oils
that transitioners and naturals can use. And as not to overwhelm
myself... I decided I would take it slow and not do everything at once.

Remember, everything doesn't work on everyone and what works on a woman who is 100% natural may not work the same on a woman who is transitioning. The same is to be said that a woman who is near the end of a long transition can do some things that a woman at the beginning of her transition can't do.

Right now, this is all you need and every so often- you can add stuff to your regimen.
1. Find a couple good conditioners that are also good at detangling hair.

2. Get a wide tooth comb and only detangle your hair when it is sopping wet and preferably with conditioner in it. I don't need a brush yet but once I'm all natural, I'll probably invest in a detangling brush.

3. Get or create a good moisturizer. I'll be honest, shea butter was a little daunting for me in the beginning so I used what I had around the house for a couple weeks and then I created my own moisturizing spritz: water/100% pure aloe vera juice/Herbal Essences HH/lavender EO.

4. Invest in an oil. There are alot out there: castor, tea tree, coconut, EV olive oil, an jojoba to name a few. I personally bought jojoba oil because it is so light and I was concerned the others would weigh down my relaxed hair.

5. Moisturize and seal (with oil).

6. Find styles that work for you. The first couple weeks, I tried wash and gos...a no go for me and my predominantly relaxed hair! I've now switched to two strand twist outs (using curlynikki's twist and curl method). I personally don't wear the twists outside of my house because my relaxed hair is too thin so the twists don't look like they do on natural hair. But the twist outs look great!!!

For the first time this weekend, I tried my hand at a flat twist... I'm wearing it all weekend and will take it out for work on Monday and recycle it (hopefully) for a couple days.

7. Start doing weekly DCs. I personally use any of my conditioners and olive oil or jojoba oil. I then wrap my head in saran wrap and keep it on for about an hour.

With time, you can experiment more with other oils and products and styles... but just take it one step at a time... your transition is going to be long and so you have time to learn and grow as your natural hair grows.

I have incorporated henna into my regimen and I think amla is very similar but don't know much about shikaki so I can't help you there.

Good luck in the journey!!! It's been an eye opening one for me!
jamaicanmecurly
jamaicanmecurly

http://thirtysomethingandsearching.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by vita1214 7th February 2010, 11:00 am

Thanks so much ladies this is so helpful.

vita1214

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 7th February 2010, 11:03 am

^^^ that's all very good advice - there is a wealth on knowledge on CN and the internet ... do your research ... it will be trial and error
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by Larell72 8th February 2010, 2:22 pm

Hello to all my CN sista's,
I've been transitioning since Nov. 2009, and I'm loving it. I just took 4 inches off my ends and have been doing the braid outs. I'll never do a BC all at once, with this round face of mine, but I will chop as I go along thru this process. The only thing I'm having a problem with is finding out what products work best for my hair type, and it's starting to get expensive! Coconut oil is wonderful in my hair as long as it's wet, but not when it's dry, the cantu shea butter has been making me happy as far as softness goes, but I still need a shine that will last, any advice will be appreciated [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] !
Larell72
Larell72

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 8th February 2010, 3:16 pm

Have you tried henna or cassia treatments? Our hair types will produce more of a sheen than shine but these two conditioning treatments should help you.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by Larell72 8th February 2010, 3:51 pm

No I have never use any of those 2 products, but I'm writting the names down now, and hopefully I'll have a better story to tell after I at least use one of them! Thank's alot for the info, and your hair is gorgeous Ms. Hamptonsfnst, do you use any of these products?
Larell72
Larell72

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 8th February 2010, 5:10 pm

Thank you Larrell72. I use cassia. It has the same conditioning properties as henna but without the reddish tint. I may try henna when it's warmer. Check out these websites for detailed info: www.hennaforhair.com and www.blackcatredcat.com You can also try purchasing these products a health food store such as Whole Foods or Trader Joe's.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturallyTee 8th February 2010, 10:59 pm

Hello ladies I just began the transition myself...Thanks Larell72 my sister! I have worn wigs for more than 15 years and havent permed my hair in over a year if not longer unsure...my question is what is this co-wash you all talk about? Can someone please explain? To Larell & I...thanks [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

NaturallyTee

Back to top Go down

Post by bholmes87 9th February 2010, 12:44 am

Everyone has given such good advice I don't know what to add! But the internet is going to be a great resource. If you haven't already, check out youtube and fotki because there are tons of women given advice and hairstyles. Most likely there's someone in the same stage of transition as you are and they're making tutorials and product reviews as I type! lol but definitely remember that, as previously stated, products just don't work the same on every head of hair. There are a lot of different styles you can try while transitioning. I transitioned for about a year and I tried:

- braidouts done on wet hair (a favorite)
- bantu knot outs done on dry hair (this was my usual style!)
- twist n' curls done on wet hair (got great results)
- braid n' curls done on wet hair
- half wigs
- phony pony buns

If you want a more detailed description about how to do any of those style feel free to ask! I also have a bunch of my transitioning pics on fotki so you can check that out as well. Stay strong on your journey! You'll be so happy you did in the long run Very Happy
bholmes87
bholmes87

http://fotki.com/bholmes87

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyu 10th February 2010, 12:48 am

co-sign with everyone's replies. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Just wanted to add that rollersetting not only got me through transitioning for over a year but made my hair extremely healthy. I also rely upon buns and braids occasionally. I truly believe that any style that doesn't require very much combing or brushing will help tremendously in your transition. Good luck.
naturallyu
naturallyu

Back to top Go down

Post by kioko1973 14th February 2010, 11:28 pm

Hello everyone. I'm a new transitioner (no relaxer since Oct. 09). I finally decided enough was enough. I'm newly divorced and I have three boys. I tell people all the time I have entered my big girl life and I am loving every minute of it. Since I was snowed in for the week I decided to experiment with the two strand twists. The first round I sectioned my hair and did the twists. Didn't like how they turned out when I twisted them out. Friday night I did the flat two strand twist and twisted them out today. I LOVE IT!!! I have a lot of new growth but I'm not doing the BC. I decided to trim it as I go along. Before the twist I put my hair in a pony tail daily which wasn't helping my hair at all. I want long, healthy and strong hair again. I will post pics soon. Thanks for the wealth of information so far.

Products I'm using now:
1. Cantu Shampoo
2. Cantu Rinse Out Conditioner
3. Cantu daily leave-in conditioner
4. Hollywood Beauty grapeseed oil

kioko1973

http://www.ytbtravel.com/bricetravel247

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 15th February 2010, 11:34 am

@NaturalTee: cowashing is substituting conditioner for shampoo. It's more moisturinzing than shampoo and can achieve the same results of cleanliness. If you decide to use shampoo make sure your poo does not contain any harsh sulfates such as sodium laureth/lauryl sulfate or ammonium laureth sulfate. These ingrediants are very drying.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by Ameenah 15th February 2010, 11:48 am

hello , I have been transitioning now for a year and at first all of the information I was getting was soo overwhelming. What can you use what can't you use, what should you use, it was so much for me at one time. What I did was just DC alot and Hot oil treatments also I would not use many products and I just used olive oil . I stuck with my Garnier shampoo and conditioner and deep conditioner and Olive oil only. The Hair styles I did were braid outs and I would straighten my hair. I have now decided no heat for as long as possible I have been trying new things like pepermint oil and rosemary oil tea tree I have been using along with my olive oil. Coconut oil and shea butter. I have decided to make my own products because it makes me feel safer. Anyway You just got to dig in and do what you feel works for you. But I have learned I get the best result with less I do . so less is more. Believe it or not you don't have to do much to acheive much even with hairstyle. I used to wear 4 plaits in my hair after I did my Dc. Then do it the next day in the style I wanted. but one day I was in a rush and i decided to just take those out and run my fingers through it I was plesantly suprised at the most beautiful Hairstyles. So just try try try some more. Love your hair and it will Love you back
Ameenah
Ameenah

Back to top Go down

Post by SoulfulSweetz 15th February 2010, 3:54 pm

I transitioned for 5 months and BC'd 12/9/09... I started doing routines as if I was natural already such as co-washing, to ensure that the new growth was getting the proper care.. As far as styles, have you tried a 2 strand twist out? Of course being that you are dealing with 2 textures (new growth & relaxed ends) you would want to two strand twist your hair and then roll it with a styling rod & let it dry (hooded dryers work best).. Here is a pick of me during my transitioning process rocking my 2 strand twist outs... Hope this helps & See you on the natural side!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

^2 strand twist out during my transitioning process
~Love, Peace & FRO
SoulfulSweetz
SoulfulSweetz

https://www.youtube.com/Soulfulsweetz

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturalin2010 17th February 2010, 1:23 am

naturallyu wrote:co-sign with everyone's replies. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Just wanted to add that rollersetting not only got me through transitioning for over a year but made my hair extremely healthy. I also rely upon buns and braids occasionally. I truly believe that any style that doesn't require very much combing or brushing will help tremendously in your transition. Good luck.

I am in the same boat. My last touch up was in Nov 2009 and I have not had one since. I don't know how much new growth I have, I haven't measured or anything. But, this past weekend was my first attempt at a style other than straight. I used to flat iron my hair, but I was using too much heat and I'm having breakage. I wet set my hair using MsMahagony's you tube tutorial. It was where I finger curled when I took it out. How do you maintain the roller set after the 2nd day? I have a lot of perm left, so it can only hold but for so long.
Naturalin2010
Naturalin2010

http://kaynatural1.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down