CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Hair is Natural but I don't know what to do with it...

+4
ChrsLvsBks
cajun*curly
dajewel
Islander3906
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

My Hair is Natural but I don't know what to do with it... Empty My Hair is Natural but I don't know what to do with it...

Post by Islander3906 5th February 2010, 8:41 pm

Hi ladies and gents if any please be gently as I'm new to blogging - I think this is what i'm doing. Well anyway I'm from the islands and I now live in Maryland. I moved here in 1997 and at that time I had dread locks. Not the dreads you see today locks like Bob Marley locks. There is a difference. My locks became very heavy and I decided I would start over in 2003. However, I never actually did because you need the beach as real aloe plants as well as a plant native in the islands to really make it happen. So since then I've worn my hair natural. I work in an office so I wrap my hair a lot and when it's not wrapped it's braided. However, I'm ready to wear my hair natural. I don't want to dread again because too many people wear their hair that way and they've really tarnished the idea of dreads as I know it. I grew up knowing that dreads are associated with the Rastafarian religion - it was not a fad - you were truly committed to living your life a certain way but today they've watered that down so much - everyone and their grandma is wearing locs and I don't want that for myself. So help I love my natural hair and need to know what I can do with it.
Islander3906
Islander3906

Back to top Go down

My Hair is Natural but I don't know what to do with it... Empty Re: My Hair is Natural but I don't know what to do with it...

Post by dajewel 5th February 2010, 8:45 pm

well, to start off could you post a pic of yourself and your regimen (including products)?

btw: blessings from belize!
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

My Hair is Natural but I don't know what to do with it... Empty Re: My Hair is Natural but I don't know what to do with it...

Post by Islander3906 5th February 2010, 8:50 pm

Thanks but I am also learning how to blog. I currently have braids in though but let me look for an old pix.
Islander3906
Islander3906

Back to top Go down

Post by Islander3906 5th February 2010, 9:00 pm

Help folks I don't now how to add a pix.
Islander3906
Islander3906

Back to top Go down

Post by cajun*curly 5th February 2010, 9:06 pm

hello curlynikki.com! im a new member, i just heard about the site by watching the tyra banks show. i am a proud naturally curly headed sista but i do have a few issues with my tresses that i was hoping i could get advice on. my hair is very curly and when its wet its gorgeous but as soon as it dries, it gets poofy and i lose all of my length. i dont know what products are best to use for my hair so i just stick to basic water, conditioner and gel. that always leaves my hair super stiff and crunchy or really dry. ive noticed my ends starting to break. i hate combing it because it gets tangled so fast and i feel like when i do comb it out im combing most of it out literally. i need a product that moisturizes my hair and sets it without it getting frizzy or poofy or having a hard feel. i want my curls to blow in the wind and be luxurious and beautiful. not a poofy ball of tangled mess. can anyone help?

cajun*curly

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 5th February 2010, 9:41 pm

Islander3906 wrote:Help folks I don't now how to add a pix.

u can add a photo by going clicking on the icon above, 'host an image'. click 'choose a file' from your pc, and then choose a file. click 'host it' at the bottom of the box. and then copy and paste the link in the second box. hth (hope this helps)
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 5th February 2010, 9:49 pm

GarynDanae wrote:hello curlynikki.com! im a new member, i just heard about the site by watching the tyra banks show. i am a proud naturally curly headed sista but i do have a few issues with my tresses that i was hoping i could get advice on. my hair is very curly and when its wet its gorgeous but as soon as it dries, it gets poofy and i lose all of my length. i dont know what products are best to use for my hair so i just stick to basic water, conditioner and gel. that always leaves my hair super stiff and crunchy or really dry. ive noticed my ends starting to break. i hate combing it because it gets tangled so fast and i feel like when i do comb it out im combing most of it out literally. i need a product that moisturizes my hair and sets it without it getting frizzy or poofy or having a hard feel. i want my curls to blow in the wind and be luxurious and beautiful. not a poofy ball of tangled mess. can anyone help?

hey, there!! nice to meet you! firsly, shrinkage is a normal characteristic of natural hair. everyone gets it. there are ways to lesson the shrinkage. one trick is stretch the hair by doing two strand/three strand twists and banding. also, using aloe vera gel while doing these tricks will help lesson shrinkage.

you said 'gel'. what type of gel?? most gels have alcohols that can dry out your hair. dry hair leads to breakage. i would suggest switching to a gel that is aloe vera based. many naturals find success with IC fantasia gels (the clear or the olive oil?), kinky curly curling creme and the afroveda pur jelly.

i noticed that you said 'combing'. our hair is really not meant to be combed, especially with small-tooth combs. if you gotta comb, do it when the hair is sopping wet with conditioner and water and comb with a wide-tooth comb. and not all wide tooth combs are made equally. you don't want a comb that has seams because seams cause breakage. many naturals swear by denman brush, but there is a technique when using this brush. i don't use a comb nor brush to detangle; i just finger detangle. its the best way for me maintain less breakage and length.

i also noticed that you said you have breakage. this could be from lack of moisture and protein, hair brushing up on on harsh fabrics and hair not put in protective hair styles (ie. two/three strand twists, bantu knots, bunning, etc etc etc.).

in order to maintain a descent level of moisture, i suggest you introduce moisture at every step of your regimen: shampooing/co-washing, deep conditioning (this is a MUST. no exceptions), styling, sealing and everyday moisturizing and sealing.

hth
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 9th February 2010, 3:30 am

Hi and welcome! Please check out the Curly Meetup page. There is a thread for curlies in the DC area. As for style ideas, check out the threads on the Bars-n-Butters Challenge. You can find all kinds of ideas. Many share their regimen and photos of their styles.

Have fun and learn what works for you!

ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Islander3906 9th February 2010, 11:52 pm

Thank you ladies; good information. I will be checking out the threads and I also learned how to post a picture. Thanks much.
Islander3906
Islander3906

Back to top Go down

Post by Islander3906 9th February 2010, 11:53 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The only thing though is I cant get my picture to show up on the left next to my name. What am I doing wrong?
Islander3906
Islander3906

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlz of Luv 10th February 2010, 12:08 am

Welcome first of all, I am a newbie to the site also however I will tell u the ladies on here have so much knowledge and have been a true blessing to me.

As far as adding an avatar...Go to your profile (top of page), then avatar, choose your pics, then save. HTH
Curlz of Luv
Curlz of Luv

http://curlsofluv.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 10th February 2010, 12:13 am

Welcome to the forum ladies! Like Chrs said, check out the Butters n Bars thread, there is a lot of information there and everyone is so helpful. Don't be scared to ask questions.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Islander3906 10th February 2010, 3:42 pm

OK I figured out how to add the pix. Thanks for the help ladies.
Islander3906
Islander3906

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalhonney 10th February 2010, 4:40 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Newbies your gonna love it hair! I mean here!! lol

Last edited by naturalhonney on 13th February 2010, 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
naturalhonney
naturalhonney

Back to top Go down

Post by Islander3906 13th February 2010, 1:04 am

OK ladies I've figured out the picture posting and now that it's up I want your comments. My hair is thick yet I always have the spaces when I twist (2 strand) my hair. Is it the products. I can't say I'm using a specific line I have Dr. Miracle, parnevu, Fantasia different things like for the scalp, hair lotions etc. What am I doing wrong. I'd like to find a product and stick with it i'm looking for fullness and growth. cant wait to read your comments.

thanks,
Islander3906
Islander3906

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 13th February 2010, 1:54 am

Hi Islander,

please go visit the butter n bars thread, Lynnieluve is a pro at two strand twist and twist out. As well as Notthecoolmom. You will find a wealth of information and encouraggement on this forum. Welcome to the family! I think your hair looks great in your Avatar!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 13th February 2010, 1:12 pm

Islander3906 wrote:OK ladies I've figured out the picture posting and now that it's up I want your comments. My hair is thick yet I always have the spaces when I twist (2 strand) my hair. Is it the products. I can't say I'm using a specific line I have Dr. Miracle, parnevu, Fantasia different things like for the scalp, hair lotions etc. What am I doing wrong. I'd like to find a product and stick with it i'm looking for fullness and growth. cant wait to read your comments.

thanks,

What size are you doing your twist? The smaller the twist, the easier it is to cover up the parts. When I do my twist, I try to do brick method. Check out this post from Newlynatural.com...it best describes what I mean when I say brick method. Click here!

The only store purchased product I've used for my two strand twist is Organic Root Stimulator Lock and Twist gel. I like it alot. It yields great twist and twist outs. I hope this helps.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

My Hair is Natural but I don't know what to do with it... Empty My twists - HELP

Post by Islander3906 13th February 2010, 10:45 pm

Thank you ladies I do appreciate all the help I'm getting here. I am familiar with the brick method and since I'm doing my hair by myself I'll take more time and ask my daughter to assist. This should cover the parts as you recommended.

Also, I went out today looking for products and surprisingly now that I'm looking at the ingredients I'm finding that there's alcohol, mineral oil, chemicals, petroleum and parabens in many of the choices I tend to select. So I came out of there empty handed I tried a store called Cares Beauty Supply and Sallys. So I have decided to order my products online. What I'd like to know is the following:

What products do you recommend? - please include name brand. (Anyone happy with Carol's Daughter's products?)
What should I have an as essential items for growth stimulation, general moisture/care and style?
I'd like to try the wash and go - what products do you recommend for this?

Thank you ladies I can't say how much help this has been.
Islander3906
Islander3906

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 13th February 2010, 10:59 pm

I've only tried the hair milk by Carol's Daughter and I didnt like it!! It didnt do anything for my hair.

I like Oyin Handmade products and Karens Body Beautiful.

This is what is essential to me:

Shampoo, 2 types of conditioner (light and thick), leave in conditioner, moisturizer and oils to seal in the moisture.

Here is what I use and I'm happy with right now:

Shampoo - Karen's Body Beautiful Conditioning Shampoo
Conditioners - VO5 (light) Aussie Moist (thick and creamy)
Leave in Conditioner - Giovanni Direct Leave In
Moisturizer - homemade shea butter mix
Oils - olive oil, coconut oil, jojoba oil

Last edited by Lynnieluve on 13th February 2010, 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Islander3906 13th February 2010, 11:28 pm

Thank you very much. I was not sucessful at the beauty supply stores but I will try to order these products online.
Islander3906
Islander3906

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 13th February 2010, 11:30 pm

I forgot to add I'm not a wash n go girl so hopefully someone else will chime in and give their advice.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Islander3906 13th February 2010, 11:39 pm

Thank you - I wondered how that wash n go would work. Have you seen any pictures of it?

My hair requires some work I have never thought I could wash and go with anything but an afro.

Now since you are online my hair was washed today and is now fully air dried I have not added anything to it - so where do I start? What do I need to add to it right now...it's not dry it's still a little damp.

thanks,
Islander3906
Islander3906

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 13th February 2010, 11:51 pm

After I wash my hair, I always add my Giovanni Direct Leave in and coconut oil. Because 95% of the time I wear two strand twist, I decided what styler I am gonna use. I love stylers that double as moisturizers like butters. The hair butter from Karens Body Beautiful worked really well for my twist. I have also used hair lotions to do my two strand twist but because hair lotions dont have any hold, I only use it if I plan to take the twist out the next day.

The two strand twist I am wearing right now, I used Organic Root Stimulator Lock and Twist gel. I only use it when I plan to wear the two strand twist for several days. This is day 6 for me and they still look really good. I am gonna wear a twist out tomorrow.

I hope this makes sense.

How are you going to style your hair?
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlz of Luv 13th February 2010, 11:56 pm

I just thought I would chime in for a second.

A wash n go for me is pretty much an afro. I only have about 3 inches of hair right now. So after I wash and go I mix olive oil with Giovanni Direct Leave In I let my hair dry a little (usually about an hour or so) then I use my fingers to separate detangle again then do two-strand twist.

For my twist I mostly recently used Qhemet Biologics Amla & Heavy Cream. It has worked wonders on my hair. I love it. However I was using my shealoe mix (shea butter, aloe vera gel, coconut oil and an essential oil (for me lavender, tea tree oil, peppermint). So far I like the peppermint oil best it seems to help with the itching for me and my girls. I recently purchased the ORS twist & lock gel that Lynnieluve has great results with I will give that a try later this week.
HTH
Curlz of Luv
Curlz of Luv

http://curlsofluv.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Islander3906 14th February 2010, 12:05 am

I'm going to try the two strand twist but this time I'm going to try oiling the hair - I have Tea Tree Oil - I didn't see this product mentioned as good or bad so far but I have to do something. Also the Lock/Twist Gel I have is Mango and Lime - hope it's not on the NOT RECOMMENDED list either (wink, wink). My sister used it in her son's hair and likes it. I will be ordering the products mentioned above because I have had no luck at the stores in my area. I should get the products by next week and by then I'll be ready to try something new.

You ladies are the best...please chime in and educate me.
Islander3906
Islander3906

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next