CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First Relaxer?

+51
sydnilux
NaturallyLovely
blondie
KreyolKatt
marbar1908
Ameenah
naturalmommyGA
Curliana
danycurls
raina
QuietButterfly
KinkyNappyHappy
iri9109
LadyV69
hurjurnee
HAMPTONSFNST
DeNaturelle
SweetNaturale
3rdTimeAround
SCRUG_A_LICIOUS
Tiffy2
RoseNaturalBeauty
Tamren
xtremelyperfect
CombatCurls
MsJay1121
LadyMika
CreoleLady88
Q
CurlsGalore
LuvMeLuvMyFro
Lynnieluve
authenticbeauty
natural83
HisBeauty
mojitochica
dajewel
NewlyNina
MsChris8
curLEIGH
PanaR3dd
~JOME~
LilyFlower8604
Karyn
StephanieB
Lilith_Eve
Erica5417
Janique
Muz
mverde3
pfarley
55 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

First Relaxer? - Page 2 Empty Re: First Relaxer?

Post by CurlsGalore 5th February 2010, 3:52 pm

Since I was 3 my mom kept my hair braided everyday until that infamous age of 7. My hair was long, thick, and healthy. At that age, I really wanted my hair like the little girl on the PCJ relaxer box. I begged and begged my mom to give me a perm. I guess she didn't know she could press it. She refused for a long time, and I guess she got tired of me asking and gave in. I was in the 2nd grade when I got my first relaxer. 20+ years later, I've come to my senses:)
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by Q 5th February 2010, 4:03 pm

I want to say i got mine @ 4 (the gentle somebody kit - it has the lady w/ the long flowy hair in a blue-ish color box) My mom said that it was to help her out since my hair was so thick - she thinks it was a texturizer - that's still a PERM MA!!! lol but I got a optimum perm in like 1st or 2nd grade & you couldn't tell me nothing. Maybe my alopecia wouldn't have acted up so badly had the perms stopped...anywho I looking forward to my hair like my half wig (if i could only upload pix from my phone)

Q

Back to top Go down

Post by ~JOME~ 5th February 2010, 5:18 pm

LuvMeLuvMyFro wrote:
Lynnieluve wrote:I was 14 when I got my first relaxer. I was tired of the jheri curl. Don't laugh. Don't you laugh!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

LynnieLuv you stole my story! I begged for a relaxer my first year of high school because there was no way I was going to high school with a Jheri Curl! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

LuvMeLuvMyFro, I love your signature! Are you a Witness?
~JOME~
~JOME~

Back to top Go down

Post by CreoleLady88 5th February 2010, 5:29 pm

I got my first relaxer at age 10, my mom begged me to get one lol! I had hair just like tia and tamera from Sister Sister, big and curly, and my mom had 3 daughters so she was sooo tired of doing all of that big curly hair! When we both look back on it now, we both wish i wouldn't have got one, but it cut down the time she had to do my hair tremendously! So at least im growing it back now! :-)
CreoleLady88
CreoleLady88

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 5th February 2010, 5:49 pm

I was about ten or eleven when I got my first relaxer. I used to get teased a lot because of my hair (BADLY), so my mother forced it on me so I wouldn't get teased anymore. All that did was shift the taunting from my hair to everything ELSE about me. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I was damned if I did, damned if I didn't.
LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MsJay1121 6th February 2010, 3:07 pm

~JOME~ wrote:

LuvMeLuvMyFro, I love your signature! Are you a Witness?

You stole my question Jome.... lol!

Last edited by CurlieCutes1121 on 6th February 2010, 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
MsJay1121
MsJay1121

Back to top Go down

Post by MsJay1121 6th February 2010, 3:09 pm

I begged and begged and BEGGED my mom to relax my hair....

I could have fell victim to the creamy crack @ 15, but I punked out....
Kinda glad I did now... Wink
MsJay1121
MsJay1121

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 6th February 2010, 5:33 pm

Lol I had the same question for LuvMeLuvMyFro........
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by MsJay1121 6th February 2010, 6:06 pm

Janique wrote:Lol I had the same question for LuvMeLuvMyFro........

Ok, we are silly!!!! Are either of you guys? Very Happy
MsJay1121
MsJay1121

Back to top Go down

Post by CombatCurls 6th February 2010, 11:03 pm

I think i was like 7, when i was 6 my mom put a jeri curl in needless to say tomboys and greasy curls don't really mix, so she took me to a salon to get it relaxed and apparently no one told this woman about over processing cause she burned the crap out of me and all my hair broke off. So by the time I was 8 i had an extreme aversion to them i used to hate getting them done.
CombatCurls
CombatCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by ~JOME~ 6th February 2010, 11:05 pm

CurlieCutes1121 wrote:
Janique wrote:Lol I had the same question for LuvMeLuvMyFro........

Ok, we are silly!!!! Are either of you guys? Very Happy

Yes. Are you?
~JOME~
~JOME~

Back to top Go down

Post by xtremelyperfect 7th February 2010, 2:47 am

I got my first relaxer when I was 12. I begged my mother. Everyone else in the 6th grade had their hair relaxed and I was the only person rocking braids with barrettes and ribbon. Embarrassing but I wish I had listened to mom and never relaxed. Oh wells, you live and you learn! Rolling Eyes
xtremelyperfect
xtremelyperfect

http://fuckyeahnadia.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by StephanieB 7th February 2010, 10:26 am

Since I saw this thread, I've been trying to work out in my mind how someone could perm a two year old's hair. I remember when my nieces were two, they used to squirm so much just getting their hair combed. How in the world can you get a two year old to not stick their fingers in their hair while perming it?

StephanieB

Back to top Go down

Post by pfarley 7th February 2010, 1:28 pm

StephanieB wrote:Since I saw this thread, I've been trying to work out in my mind how someone could perm a two year old's hair. I remember when my nieces were two, they used to squirm so much just getting their hair combed. How in the world can you get a two year old to not stick their fingers in their hair while perming it?

I have no clue. I thought about that too. My parents were very strict. And it began pretty much out of the womb...literally. I could turn this into a session, but I'm going to try to refrain from that. It makes me wonder if I was able to properly tell them when it burned...so many things. I'm beginning to feel really bad for starting this thread.
pfarley
pfarley

http://www.allthingscouponing.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pfarley 7th February 2010, 1:31 pm

Q wrote:I want to say i got mine @ 4 (the gentle somebody kit - it has the lady w/ the long flowy hair in a blue-ish color box) My mom said that it was to help her out since my hair was so thick - she thinks it was a texturizer - that's still a PERM MA!!! lol but I got a optimum perm in like 1st or 2nd grade & you couldn't tell me nothing. Maybe my alopecia wouldn't have acted up so badly had the perms stopped...anywho I looking forward to my hair like my half wig (if i could only upload pix from my phone)

My hair is very thick too and I'm beginning to think that my mom might have mistaken it for a texturizer also, but... two years old. I just don't understand.
pfarley
pfarley

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 7th February 2010, 2:29 pm

Yup I am!
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by StephanieB 7th February 2010, 2:34 pm

pfarley wrote:
StephanieB wrote:Since I saw this thread, I've been trying to work out in my mind how someone could perm a two year old's hair. I remember when my nieces were two, they used to squirm so much just getting their hair combed. How in the world can you get a two year old to not stick their fingers in their hair while perming it?

I have no clue. I thought about that too. My parents were very strict. And it began pretty much out of the womb...literally. I could turn this into a session, but I'm going to try to refrain from that. It makes me wonder if I was able to properly tell them when it burned...so many things. I'm beginning to feel really bad for starting this thread.

I hope my question didn't make you regret starting this thread. I'm certainly not judging your parents. I was just curious how that would work with a two year old. I'm sure your parents were just doing what they thought was best at the time. No one is perfect. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

StephanieB

Back to top Go down

Post by Tamren 7th February 2010, 3:46 pm

I was 6 when I got my first perm. The "just for me" with the tape inside of it. Laughing
Tamren
Tamren

Back to top Go down

Post by pfarley 7th February 2010, 8:51 pm

StephanieB wrote:
pfarley wrote:

I hope my question didn't make you regret starting this thread. I'm certainly not judging your parents. I was just curious how that would work with a two year old. I'm sure your parents were just doing what they thought was best at the time. No one is perfect. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Thanks for the comment. I shouldn't place blame on anyone except myself and my own self-consciousness.
pfarley
pfarley

Back to top Go down

Post by pfarley 7th February 2010, 8:54 pm

@ StephanieB - - What part of Ohio? I'm in Cincy.
pfarley
pfarley

Back to top Go down

Post by StephanieB 7th February 2010, 9:29 pm

pfarley wrote:@ StephanieB - - What part of Ohio? I'm in Cincy.

I'm about 30 minutes east of the Cleveland area. I'm actually a southerner from Mississippi, but hubby and I moved here 4 years ago.

StephanieB

Back to top Go down

Post by pfarley 7th February 2010, 10:08 pm

StephanieB wrote:
pfarley wrote:@ StephanieB - - What part of Ohio? I'm in Cincy.

I'm about 30 minutes east of the Cleveland area. I'm actually a southerner from Mississippi, but hubby and I moved here 4 years ago.

Cool. I live in Kentucky but you can see downtown Cincinnati from my house. I'm right on the border. Ohio is a long way from Miss!
pfarley
pfarley

Back to top Go down

Post by RoseNaturalBeauty 7th February 2010, 11:02 pm

I was 14 when I got my first relaxer...I did not want to go to high school with "nappy" hair as I told my mommy!! I beg her all summer and two weeks beofre school started in 94 I got my fresh perm....and a trim!!! With my natural hair my bangs went under my chin...my cousin and I used to measure how long our hair was like that! About a year after my perm my hair NEVER EVER got that long again!! My hair is only 2 years old so I will have my bangs going under my chin again soon!!!
RoseNaturalBeauty
RoseNaturalBeauty

http://www.koilsbynature.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MsJay1121 8th February 2010, 1:19 am

@ JOME and Janique: yes and yes!!!! cheers
MsJay1121
MsJay1121

Back to top Go down

Post by ~JOME~ 8th February 2010, 1:38 am

CurlieCutes1121 wrote:@ JOME and Janique: yes and yes!!!! cheers

Lol! So I'm taking that you're one too. Hello my Spiritual Sister!!
~JOME~
~JOME~

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next