CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First Relaxer?

+51
sydnilux
NaturallyLovely
blondie
KreyolKatt
marbar1908
Ameenah
naturalmommyGA
Curliana
danycurls
raina
QuietButterfly
KinkyNappyHappy
iri9109
LadyV69
hurjurnee
HAMPTONSFNST
DeNaturelle
SweetNaturale
3rdTimeAround
SCRUG_A_LICIOUS
Tiffy2
RoseNaturalBeauty
Tamren
xtremelyperfect
CombatCurls
MsJay1121
LadyMika
CreoleLady88
Q
CurlsGalore
LuvMeLuvMyFro
Lynnieluve
authenticbeauty
natural83
HisBeauty
mojitochica
dajewel
NewlyNina
MsChris8
curLEIGH
PanaR3dd
~JOME~
LilyFlower8604
Karyn
StephanieB
Lilith_Eve
Erica5417
Janique
Muz
mverde3
pfarley
55 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

First Relaxer? Empty First Relaxer?

Post by pfarley 5th February 2010, 12:23 am

Hey ladies! Brief introduction: My name is Princess and I've been transitioning for almost 3 months now.

Out of curiosity, I asked my mom how old I was when I got my first relaxer. She snickered and told me that I was two...years...old...

My mouth dropped and for some reason I got a lump in my throat as if I were about to cry. Two years old? What can a relaxer do for a child at two years old? Make my hair more "manageable" to put in pigtails??? I have two daughters under two years old and at that age they are so innocent (well, not all the time...but you know what I mean).

Aside from my new growth, I've lived pretty much my entire twenty-five years of life not knowing what my God-given hair looks like. It makes me really sad. Am I weird?

How old were you when you got your first relaxer? What is with this stigma?

Last edited by pfarley on 7th February 2010, 8:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
pfarley
pfarley

http://www.allthingscouponing.com

Back to top Go down

First Relaxer? Empty Re: First Relaxer?

Post by mverde3 5th February 2010, 12:31 am

You're not weird. I have many friends who got perms on their hair around 2 or 3 years old. I got my first perm when I was around 10 or 11. I actually begged my mom to get one. I remember vaguely how my hair used to look like before then.

I was young and naive and assumed that I needed the perm in order to "fit" in but now I don't give two hoots anymore. If only I knew then what I know now. Smile
mverde3
mverde3

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz 5th February 2010, 12:43 am

I was in 3rd grade, and I asked my mom if I could get a relaxer because I hated getting my hair pressed. I think she was also tired of pressing it. LOL
Muz
Muz

http://muzikalhairjournal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 5th February 2010, 12:44 am

I was five when I got my first relaxer. MY mom relaxed my hair after being pressured by friends who said "when you gonna perm her hair...who wants to deal with all that nappiness?" I think my cousin was permed at around two. Don't really see any childhood pics of her without a relaxer!
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by Erica5417 5th February 2010, 12:54 am

10, my mom didn't want to do it but I recruited my grandmother in my efforts to convince my mom.
Erica5417
Erica5417

http://ericathurman.ennoir.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilith_Eve 5th February 2010, 12:55 am

Wow I'm vaguely horrified at the fact that relaxers have been used on children as young as two Sad

I got my first relaxer when I was 12 years and I had to beg my mother for it to happen. She tried to talk me out of it lol And when I told her I was going natural last year she only halfheartedly tried to talk me out of it. I think she's curious about seeing my natural texture again.
Lilith_Eve
Lilith_Eve

Back to top Go down

Post by StephanieB 5th February 2010, 1:00 am

I got my first relaxer at 11 years old and I had to beg my mother to do it. Before it was relaxed, I used to wear my hair in cornrows a lot. I loved it when she would braid my hair b/c it meant that I didn't have to get my hair combed for at least week. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

StephanieB

Back to top Go down

Post by Karyn 5th February 2010, 1:02 am

10 and then when all of my hair broke off, I stopped. Then, my dumb 12-year-old self decided I wanted to give it another try (even though EVERYONE was against it) and my hair broke off some more. I stopped relaxing my hair probably after that first relaxer I got. I learned my lesson and have been natural since eighth grade, pretty much. I never BC-ed. It's sad though, cause I never "needed" a relaxer in the first place. But I guess..who really does?
Karyn
Karyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz 5th February 2010, 1:10 am

Well I've already decided that if I ever have a daughter, she's not getting a perm until she can afford to pay for/maintain it herself. I'd rather spend my time teaching her to love the hair she has, in which case she'll hopefully never want one Smile
Muz
Muz

http://muzikalhairjournal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyFlower8604 5th February 2010, 1:28 am

I had always had long hair as a child, thanks to my grandmother who was an old school hairstylist that didn't think children should have relaxers. She lived and died by the pressing comb, lol.

So when I was 14, I decided for my first day of high school, I should get my hair cut into a cute bob. I told my mom and one of my friend's mothers recommended their hairstylist at JcPenney's hair salon, lol. When the stylist asked me and my mother if we ever thought of me getting a relaxer, my mother said it was my choice but that I would have to know how to take care of it. It was the first time I ever contemplated a relaxer, and the thought of no longer getting my ears burnt by the hot comb was more than appealing.
So I got my first relaxer at 14... which barely took, but I loved the fact that my mother allowed it to be my choice and at an appropriate age to make that choice.
LilyFlower8604
LilyFlower8604

http://xclusivelyjune.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ~JOME~ 5th February 2010, 1:33 am

I was actually 11 years old when I got my relaxer. My mom's a hair stylist who had my hair in braids and pressed up to that point. I don't remember much, but I do remember getting burned sometimes. Yet, my hair took the relaxer well...within minutes you could see my hair getting straighter.
~JOME~
~JOME~

Back to top Go down

Post by PanaR3dd 5th February 2010, 1:50 am

i didnt get my first relaxer until i was 14 years old..i just got to highschool and i seemed to be having a lot of bad hair days compared to the other girls and i knew nothing about a flat iron so i got a relaxer
PanaR3dd
PanaR3dd

Back to top Go down

Post by curLEIGH 5th February 2010, 2:47 am

I was 8 years old when I got my first relaxer. In the weeks that followed, my hair broke off terribly and I can remember my mother feeling bad about it when she'd style my hair for school in the morning. She said that she was sorry she'd even considered it since my hair had broken off so badly. Two years later, I begged my mom to relax my hair again because I was just so tired of getting my hair pressed. I also had three older sisters that wore their hair relaxed and I really wanted my hair to look and "swang" like theirs LOL. My mom was reluctant, but she gave in after a lot of begging, so I began getting a relaxer consistently at 10 years old.
curLEIGH
curLEIGH

http://curleigh.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MsChris8 5th February 2010, 10:28 am

I got my first relaxer at six years old...My mom told me that she was tired of doing my hair that that she could never get the front edges to lay down and she didn't know any better at the time. She took great care of my hair though--she never put a lot of heat on it and kept it very moisturized...and it stayed long until I colored it for the first time.
MsChris8
MsChris8

Back to top Go down

Post by NewlyNina 5th February 2010, 10:57 am

I got my 1st relaxer when I was 10 or 11 and it was because I wanted to wear a hair style that my cousin was wearing at that time. It guess what it was..........FINGER WAVES w/ 4 curls in the middle of my head! LOL! Now that I look back, I ask myself what was I thinking and why did my mother allow that. Crazy! But overall she took great care of my hair until....I got old enough and started doing whatever to it. But you live and learn.
NewlyNina
NewlyNina

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 5th February 2010, 11:00 am

got my first relaxer at age 16 and had it for about 5 years
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by mojitochica 5th February 2010, 11:10 am

I was six.
mojitochica
mojitochica

http://whatsnew.fotki.com/mojitochica/

Back to top Go down

Post by pfarley 5th February 2010, 1:55 pm

Lilith_Eve wrote:Wow I'm vaguely horrified at the fact that relaxers have been used on children as young as two Sad

I know, me too! I'm honestly trying to figure out why. I mean was it laziness on my mom's part? Did she just not feel like combing through my natural hair? Was my hair "that bad"? Was she trying to impress other people and make it look like I had "good hair"? Like everyone else, I thought I was about 7 or 8 when I got my first relaxer. I have virtually no photos to refer back to.
pfarley
pfarley

Back to top Go down

Post by HisBeauty 5th February 2010, 1:57 pm

Two?? My goodness! I was 13 and went off to the salon with my sisters (23 and 25) and told the stylist I wanted a relaxer and a wrap style. My hair was long and virgin and he was all too glad to do it. My sister's paid, as a middle school graduation gift. Needless to say, when I got home my mother was livid! I can laugh at it now, but I still regret ever doing it. Wanted to fit in...ahhh teenagers!
HisBeauty
HisBeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 5th February 2010, 2:27 pm

I don't remember exactly how old I was, but I do remember I was in the 9th grade! My mother never forced me to get a relaxer, but because I wanted one, being that I was getting older, in school with older kids, etc...she gave in! And plus, I was a cheerleader and hated that after every game, my hair would be poofy and frizzy! LOL! (If only the CHI irons were out then...geez!) So I got my first relaxer, but I would get the kiddy perms. I think my first one was a "Just For Me" relaxer (Do yall remember the theme song? "I want style body and shine, a look that's totally all mine...hair so soft, silky and free??? I want something Just For Me...Just for Meeeee!" LOLOLOLOL..I know y'all remember that commercial!) I really loved it when I first got it! So yeah, I stuck with the lil box perms. If only I would've remained true to my natural hair! I look back on some of my jr. high pics and i get amazed at how long my hair was! On a mission to get that length back!!!!

P.S. I had to do it-----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfPe5EqSBBo [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
natural83
natural83

Back to top Go down

Post by authenticbeauty 5th February 2010, 2:29 pm

You are not weird. I got my first relaxer at four and had no idea what my actual hair looked like until six months ago. Now that I've gone natural I've heard family members and friends say that I had nice hair as a child so I'm wondering why did you put a relaxer in a four year old's hair. I have yet to get an answer.
authenticbeauty
authenticbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 5th February 2010, 2:31 pm

I was 14 when I got my first relaxer. I was tired of the jheri curl. Don't laugh. Don't you laugh!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by pfarley 5th February 2010, 2:54 pm

@ natural83 - - Has anyone ever told you that you look like curlynikki?
pfarley
pfarley

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvMeLuvMyFro 5th February 2010, 2:58 pm

Lynnieluve wrote:I was 14 when I got my first relaxer. I was tired of the jheri curl. Don't laugh. Don't you laugh!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

LynnieLuv you stole my story! I begged for a relaxer my first year of high school because there was no way I was going to high school with a Jheri Curl! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
LuvMeLuvMyFro
LuvMeLuvMyFro

http://www.designsavvysalon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 5th February 2010, 3:29 pm

@pfarley No, I haven't heard that one...but I will take it as a compliment [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ! I definitely aspire to have big, curly hair like her though!!!!
natural83
natural83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next