CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Perm or Relaxer

+3
dajewel
NaturalNurse04
tiashaunteé
7 posters

Go down

Perm or Relaxer Empty Perm or Relaxer

Post by tiashaunteé 11th December 2009, 4:16 pm

I always read that a Perm makes your hair curly and a relaxer makes your hair straight. However, relaxed girls always say "perm."

What's going on here?

(keep in mind, I never had either so I am clueless)
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Perm or Relaxer Empty Re: Perm or Relaxer

Post by NaturalNurse04 11th December 2009, 4:20 pm

I think that a perm does make your hair curly and a relaxer makes your hair straight, but for some reason it seems like in the african american community relaxers are called perms. I'm not sure why. That's what my family called them while I was growing up and they still call them "perms".
NaturalNurse04
NaturalNurse04

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 11th December 2009, 4:22 pm

I guess that is what is confusing. Can you imagine what would happen if an African American woman walked into the wrong salon and asked for a "perm"

A permanent wave, commonly called a perm, is the chemical and/or thermal treatment of hair to produce waves, curls or straight hair. The use of the word 'permanent' is justified insofar as when the wave is permed, it remains so; however, as the hair grows, the new hair that grows has not been waved, while cutting the hair from the end removes that which is waved, giving the impression that the permanent wave gradually disappears. In cosmetology, it is termed a type of curl reformation.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 11th December 2009, 4:25 pm

i believe a perm is what those of who have European-ish or otherwise hair use to make their hair curly and a relaxer is what those with Afro hair use to relax/straighten their kinks.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 11th December 2009, 4:56 pm

Yeah, most white people refer to perms as making their hair curly...that's why most of them are sooo confused when we say perms make our hair straight!
natural83
natural83

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonezy 11th December 2009, 10:46 pm

It may come from the term "permanent relaxer"--so black ladies shorten it to say "perm". (I caught that from watching the "Good Hair" movie). Or it could just be lack of knowledge.

I grew up saying perm as well, until I heard some one get corrected when they said perm several years ago at a salon--the stylist said you mean relaxer--perms are what white women get to curl their hair, relaxers relax the curl pattern to straighten hair.

I haven't said "perm" since..... Mad
Jonezy
Jonezy

http://www.bleucoiffure.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by LilMsPuddles 11th December 2009, 10:56 pm

Well like Jonezy said is comes from permanent relaxer but it's also in part because the permanent wave came first late (1800's)so most chem treatments were called perms.
Also what would happen if a Black person asked for a perm they would pretty much end up with a Jherri curl, which its self is a permanent wave restructuring technique.
LilMsPuddles
LilMsPuddles

http://twitter.com/Ms_Puddles

Back to top Go down

Post by lena73 12th December 2009, 9:15 am

Jonezy wrote:It may come from the term "permanent relaxer"--so black ladies shorten it to say "perm". (I caught that from watching the "Good Hair" movie). Or it could just be lack of knowledge.

I grew up saying perm as well, until I heard some one get corrected when they said perm several years ago at a salon--the stylist said you mean relaxer--perms are what white women get to curl their hair, relaxers relax the curl pattern to straighten hair.

I haven't said "perm" since..... Mad

I agree...
white salons know that if we go in and ask for a perm...they would understand we wanted a relaxer.
lena73
lena73

http://public.fotki.com/Sharita73/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down