CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glycerine in the winter

+2
jlowman1
chocolate-kinks
6 posters

Go down

Glycerine in the winter Empty Glycerine in the winter

Post by chocolate-kinks 19th January 2010, 7:07 pm

I overheard that its not good for naturals to use glycerine in the winter. I dont know why, but what so wrong about it?
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Glycerine in the winter Empty Re: Glycerine in the winter

Post by jlowman1 19th January 2010, 7:49 pm

Glycerin keeps hair hydrated by drawing moisture from the air to the hair shaft. As a conditioner, it's especially beneficial for curly hair, which tends to be drier due to the shape of the hair shaft. It helps curls form better and works against that dreaded curse of the curly girl: frizz.

source: ehow.com

Glycerin is bad in the winter because the air is really dry and there is no moisture; so instead of it pulling it from the air, it will pull it from your hair and cause dryness. I've heard of alot of naturals still using glycerin in their spritzes during the winter so I guess its up to your hair if it works or not. hope this helps! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Yea, scratch that dajewels answer is much more detailed and much much better! LMAO

Last edited by jlowman1 on 19th January 2010, 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 19th January 2010, 7:56 pm

this is taken from my analysis of naturallyunique's question about Softsheen Carlson Dark & Lovely Beautiful Beginnings Kids Braid Maintainer & Refresher at http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/curlfriends-f16/ask-dajewel-t870-50.htm

Glycerin(aka glycerol): is a triol (an alcohol with three -OH groups). It is a humectant that provides smoothness and moisture. Its antifreeze properties allows the product to not freeze at terribly low temperatures. Glycerol, when not mixed with water, will either attract water from the atmosphere or water from your hair. However, glycerol when mixed with appropriate water ratio, can be used on the hair even in the winter time. Yes, I know: its like all believed that the world is flat, and here I come debunking common knowledge. Why is this?? All atoms have a signature vibration that are affected by temperature. Atoms/molecules move faster in high temperatures while they slow down in low temperatures. At high temperatures. the glycerin and water molecules are not closely packed and are moving fast, which means more of a chance that glycerin -OH can hydrogen bond with the increased water (humidity) usually associated with spring and summer, thereby taking the moisture from atmosphere. At low temperatures, the movement slows down, the molecules are closely packed, which means glycerin -OH are hydrogen bonding with glycerin -OH and or water that was mixed with the glycerin. So, the use of glycerin/water mixture in the winter is not detrimental to your hair.

Last edited by dajewel on 19th January 2010, 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by chocolate-kinks 19th January 2010, 7:59 pm

dajewel wrote:this is taken from my analysis of naturallyunique's question about Softsheen Carlson Dark & Lovely Beautiful Beginnings Kids Braid Maintainer & Refresher

Glycerin(aka glycerol): is a triol (an alcohol with three -OH groups). It is a humectant that provides smoothness and moisture. Its antifreeze properties allows the product to not freeze at terribly low temperatures. Glycerol, when not mixed with water, will either attract water from the atmosphere or water from your hair. However, glycerol when mixed with appropriate water ratio, can be used on the hair even in the winter time. Yes, I know: its like all believed that the world is flat, and here I come debunking common knowledge. Why is this?? All atoms have a signature vibration that are affected by temperature. Atoms/molecules move faster in high temperatures while they slow down in low temperatures. At high temperatures. the glycerin and water molecules are not closely packed and are moving fast, which means more of a chance that glycerin -OH can hydrogen bond with the increased water (humidity) usually associated with spring and summer, thereby taking the moisture from atmosphere. At low temperatures, the movement slows down, the molecules are closely packed, which means glycerin -OH are hydrogen bonding with glycerin -OH and or water that was mixed with the glycerin. So, the use of glycerin/water mixture in the winter is not detrimental to your hair.

Oh wow. Thanks Smile
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 19th January 2010, 8:48 pm

and that is why we LOVE dajewel!
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Post by chocolate-kinks 19th January 2010, 8:48 pm

Lol. She's extremly intelligent Smile
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by chocolate-kinks 19th January 2010, 8:55 pm

So Dajewel since you set the record straight (Thanks again), what do you think the appropiate ratio for water and glycerine? In my glycerine mix I use double the amount of glycerine than water ex 4 ounces of glycerine and 2 to 2 1/2 of water. My hair seems to loveeee glycerine so am I mixing it correctly?
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 19th January 2010, 9:21 pm

thank you, jlowman1, chocolate-kinks, and africanlatina!!! is what i can do to help!

based on my calculations, ur measurements are correct, as they correspond with approximately 60% (percentage that is most beneficial for your purposes) of glycerin solution in water. i have even seen people use solutions that are even 50-70% glycerin solution. don't be to strict with measurements, as glycerin is naturally very viscous (thick).
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 19th January 2010, 9:56 pm

I agree completely on dajewel being the bomb!!!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by chocolate-kinks 19th January 2010, 10:04 pm

sweetdrk1 wrote:I agree completely on dajewel being the bomb!!!

YEP YEP... I love your hair btw. How long did you transition before you did you BC?
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 19th January 2010, 11:48 pm

thanks, sd1!! n ur hair is fab!
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie 20th January 2010, 12:21 am

OK....so THAT'S why I've always been able to use glycerine year round! I just thought I had freaky hair! Smile
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by chocolate-kinks 20th January 2010, 9:45 pm

blondie wrote:OK....so THAT'S why I've always been able to use glycerine year round! I just thought I had freaky hair! Smile

lol your funny
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by chocolate-kinks 20th January 2010, 9:46 pm

dajewel wrote:thanks, sd1!! n ur hair is fab!

Your welcome [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down