CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dating with natural hair issue

4 posters

Go down

Dating with natural hair issue Empty Dating with natural hair issue

Post by makeupvixen 14th January 2010, 11:54 am

Ok, so I just start really dating this guy that has been a friend of mine for about 4 years. He has always known me to have straight hair (flat ironed). We have really started liking each other and we went out on our first official Date Date last month.

The problem is that I was doing my length check and my hair was straight, pulled back and long. He really liked my hair. We have talked about my hair care products that I have been developing and stuff but he doesn't really know that I keep my hair curly for like 4-6 months straight because I dont want to add heat to it. He's seen a few pictures via cell phone of me and he could kinda see that my hair was in it's natural state.

Our next date night is Sunday, we are going to the movies and then out to dance. I don't want my hair straight for another reason is that I will probably sweat it out on the dance floor and I'm paranoid about my edges when my hair is straight. But I would love for my hair to have a nice swing to it when twirling around, like in the movies, lol.

I'm a little nervous to see how he reacts to seeing me with naturally curly hair. I mean we have been friends for years and I never really care before but now that we are actually dating I'm nervous. I have major shrikage issues when my hair is curly, it's arm pit length when straight but shorter than a bob cut when curly.

I know it's probably not a big deal to him and he so far seems to like me for who I am but deep down I'm so nervous about having natural hair around him.

Any suggestions??? I'm thinking about wearing it in a bun or ponytail or something until I feel more comfortable...
makeupvixen
makeupvixen

http://makeupvixen.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Dating with natural hair issue Empty Re: Dating with natural hair issue

Post by akaprincess00 14th January 2010, 1:17 pm

Maybe let it dry 80% of the way & then carefully stretch it if you're self-conscious about it being too short. Honestly, I think you should just let it be free & curly. If you can't be you around him, what good platform will the relationship have to stand on. I think guys only care that your hair is combed & that's about it. As long as you don't come out looking like you've been lying on it three days straight, you'll be fine! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
akaprincess00
akaprincess00

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 14th January 2010, 3:00 pm

Just wear it naturally and dress your hair up with cute accessories and stuff. I'm sure he'll find you attractive no matter how you wear your hair! I just stopped caring about what other people think of my hair and I feel like if you want to date me, you should be fine with how my hair is. If you like me, you will like me with straight hair or curly hair. If you don't then oh well!
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by PyreFli42 14th January 2010, 3:47 pm

I would agree that you shouldn't worry about it. Also, if you wear your hair curly often, then you might as well expose him to it now. You've been friends for a while, and he plain old likes you--it's not about your hair! When you look good, you look good--hair is really an accessory to your appearance, and it's only a small part of the package. Don't stress about it; I'm sure he won't.
As far as best style for dancing but still getting some swing, you could wear a ponytail and stretch the tail with a twistout or something--roots are secure but the rest is still out? Or you could just wear it out--braidout, twistout, washngo, TnC, whatever--so it won't matter much if you sweat out the roots?
By the way, I've been close friends with my current boyfriend since we were 13 (I just turned 27), so he was very much used to my hair straight/relaxed. He had liked my hair when we were younger and it was straight, but now he prefers it natural (vs when I flat iron it). Who knew?
PyreFli42
PyreFli42

http://public.fotki.com/pyrefli42/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down