CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

**traveljunkie08**

+34
CocoEuro
bholmes87
sunbaby
KinkyNappyHappy
StephanieB
CocaColaCutie
BlondeByDesire
MsJay1121
Kea::curls
CurlyMo
Notthecoolmom
Erica5417
SheeTacular
Pinkrage
Courtney
vmichelle
curly+kinky+fierce
LilMsPuddles
Freestyles
dajewel
Corygentri
truet
HumanNature
Juices-n-Berries
Intelligentbeauty
sweetdrk1
Courtie
AfrikanLatina
Curly Film Chick
NylaCoils
adiaha
ChrsLvsBks
Lynnieluve
traveljunkie08
38 posters

Page 13 of 18 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next

Go down

**traveljunkie08** - Page 13 Empty Re: **traveljunkie08**

Post by Juices-n-Berries 8th February 2010, 10:41 pm

Congrats on getting accepted to go to Haiti! God will truly bless you for your service. The wash n go looks great :-)
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 9th February 2010, 2:01 am

Glad to hear you were accepted to assist in relief efforts in Haiti. As far as hair, you may want to do WnGs since the air will likely be thick with debris. You may want to wash often and use water based products. Oil based products may cause the debris to stick in your hair.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinkrage 9th February 2010, 12:44 pm

TJ congrats on volunteering for Haiti? What organization did you go through? My sister is looking to volunteer but it's too dangerous to go buy herself.

Your WNG looks FABULOUS! I LOVE IT!
Pinkrage
Pinkrage

http://www.fotki.com/pinkrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 9th February 2010, 2:53 pm

TJ, I love, love, love your wash-n-gos!

Congrats on your trip to Haiti. They need more people like you. Just do the ROSA PARKS ROLL everyday while you are there **traveljunkie08** - Page 13 Icon_lol
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Corygentri 9th February 2010, 3:42 pm

Hey cute hair - I vote for the twists. You can put it up in barettes or ponytail holders if they are getting in your way if you are sweating. You may not have access to clean water to rewet a wash n go (and you dont want to waste bottled on that) But if you did small twists you could wear that for a long time and not really have to worry about it. you are going to be sweating and dirty so looking cute probably won't be on you mind! I will pray and the trip is everything you want it to be, you accomplish you reason for going and that you have a safe journey!
Corygentri
Corygentri

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 9th February 2010, 11:57 pm

Thanks, ladies for the compliments on the wash n go and the Haiti well wishes.

If all goes as planned, I'll be leaving in three weeks. I'm volunteering with Hands On Disaster Relief (www.hodr.org). You have to pay for your own way to Port au Prince, and they take care of everything once you're on the ground. Preparing for this trip is a bit overwhelming. There's a long list of things you have to bring and precautions you have to take. I get some vaccinations on Friday. I'll probably go shopping this weekend to get everything I need. The good thing is that someone will benefit from my shopping spree because I don't plan on bringing anything back. It's just not worth the hassle.

Twists would probably be the most practical choice, but I'd really like to do wash n go puffs while in Haiti. I will have access to clean (cold) water for showers, so I like the thought of being able to rinse it/co-wash every other day. Then again, my hair will probably be covered 90% of the time to protect it from dust (which apparently there's a lot of) and the sun. I dunno. I'm not overly concerned about how I look, but I do find joy in doing my hair and would like to do it while there so I can maintain some type of normalcy amidst all of the chaos. Also, because I'll probably be wearing the same couple of shirts and pants darn near every day, I'd like to at least be able to play in my hair a little bit. Very Happy

Anyway, I refreshed my wash n go today. I put a little EVOO on my hair and got in the shower w/ a plastic cap on to take advantage of the steam. Then I rinsed, shook my head and put on a microfiber turban for about an hour. After that I diffused it a little bit and stretched my hair. I like how it turned out. It's not as defined as raking and smoothing prodcut through small sections, but still looks good. I went to Target and felt like everyone was looking at me (in a positive way). I was too lazy to take pics w/ my digital camera, so I did it w/ my webcam. Sorry for the poor quality, but you'll get the idea. Smile

**traveljunkie08** - Page 13 Photo_10
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 10th February 2010, 4:12 am

I really like this pic of you. **traveljunkie08** - Page 13 Icon_smile Looks nice
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 10th February 2010, 10:35 am

I like it!!!! It looks like a twist out. I think it should be your new avatar!!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 10th February 2010, 10:41 am

Looking good. Wow, you are doing an amazing thing by going to Haiti to help. God Bless you as your prepare for your journey and once you get there.
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 10th February 2010, 11:12 am

They were looking at you for a good reason!! That looks sharp!! Now I agree with Lynn that would make a nice Avatar!! Any updates with the trip to Haiti?
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 10th February 2010, 12:07 pm

sweetdrk1 wrote:They were looking at you for a good reason!! That looks sharp!! Now I agree with Lynn that would make a nice Avatar!! Any updates with the trip to Haiti?

ditto that!!!
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 10th February 2010, 7:01 pm

Thanks, Ladies! Embarassed

I bought my plane ticket to Haiti last night. Nothing going on w/ my hair today. Tomorrow marks four months natural, almost 14 months w/o a relaxer. I think I'm going blow my hair out and try cornrows and see if that's an option for my trip.
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 10th February 2010, 8:05 pm

tickets?? when are you leaving??
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

Back to top Go down

Post by Courtney 10th February 2010, 9:50 pm

Lynnieluve wrote:
Courtney wrote:Looks really nice!
I'm trying to stretch my twist out after a work out too.
I'm also trying to keep the hair obsession in check.
I noticed I was spending WAAAAYYY to much time on Youtube and CN.
Embarassed

As always your hair looks healthy and beautiful. Very Happy

I end up retwisting on day 3 of my twist out if I am trying to stretch it.

Lynnieluve-Thanks for the tip...
Tomorrow I take out my twists so I will try that to stretch it.... Smile
Courtney
Courtney

Back to top Go down

Post by Courtney 10th February 2010, 9:59 pm

TJ-I haven't been on CN as much lately so I've missed a lot.
Your WnG is beautiful.
You hair looks so lush and healthy....I can't wait until I can put all mine in a pony tail or puff.
I wish you a safe journey to Haiti...when do you leave and how long will you be gone?

God Bless Smile
Courtney
Courtney

Back to top Go down

Post by Corygentri 11th February 2010, 10:05 pm

Cornrows would be great for your trip - even though you like to play in your hair - that would give you a chance to get aclimated to your surroundings and what you will be doing and not have to worry about it. Let us know when you leave!
Corygentri
Corygentri

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 11th February 2010, 10:47 pm

I love your WnG. You should be able to do a few in Haiti. It's tropical so you won't have to worry about weather. However, cornrows are always a nice easy going option.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 12th February 2010, 3:04 am

I'm currently scheduled to leave for Haiti on March 2. But that could change based on conditions on the ground. I'll be there for two weeks.

Tomorrow I'm going to an informational program to see if I'd like to pursue a Master's in Social Work. I'm trying a twist n curl for the occasion. I'll post pics of the results, but only if they're good. Laughing My nephews don't have school so we're going out for pizza downtown afterwards. Although there's nothing that special about downtown STL, my oldest nephew loves for us to go downtown. I used to work downtown in a small office (me and three other ppl), so he used to come into the office and hang out on the couch and watch TV or play with some toys. Then we'd go to lunch, Macy's and the library. We've been doing this since 2005. He even came to help me clean up the office when it closed in 2008. It was "our" thing but I'm glad we are still doing it so my youngest nephew can experience it too.

Oh, I completely forgot. Today is my 4 month anniversary since the big chop. To be honest, I've been feeling a little "blah" towards my hair lately. I've never been obsessed with growth, but I just want my hair to be back at my shoulders (or longer) already. I know it'll get there in time and I know my hair is growing, but sometimes it doesn't feel like it. That's one of the things I appreciate about this forum though. I I love you the positive feedback and encouragement. It helps me keep my eyes on the prize. Very Happy
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 12th February 2010, 3:13 am

Happy 4 month anniversary. **traveljunkie08** - Page 13 Icon_cheers

Ok you may be leaving March 2nd. I hate to be selfish but I need you for my BC March 3rd. **traveljunkie08** - Page 13 Icon_cry
Ok ok, I will be good. Those people need you more. **traveljunkie08** - Page 13 Icon_smile
At least I will have your thread to reference then I will await your return.

Your hair will reach shoulder length, just keep doing what you are doing. Your hair is healthy, full, shine, and just FAB. Keep up the good work!!
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinkrage 12th February 2010, 12:59 pm

Your hair looks awesome. I love shopping. Have Fun!
Pinkrage
Pinkrage

http://www.fotki.com/pinkrage

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 12th February 2010, 11:18 pm

Intelligentbeauty wrote:Happy 4 month anniversary. **traveljunkie08** - Page 13 Icon_cheers

Ok you may be leaving March 2nd. I hate to be selfish but I need you for my BC March 3rd. **traveljunkie08** - Page 13 Icon_cry
Ok ok, I will be good. Those people need you more. **traveljunkie08** - Page 13 Icon_smile
At least I will have your thread to reference then I will await your return.

Your hair will reach shoulder length, just keep doing what you are doing. Your hair is healthy, full, shine, and just FAB. Keep up the good work!!

I will make every effort to check out your BC on March 3rd. They have WiFi where I'll be staying, so I'll probably be taking my laptop with me. But if I don't, I'll go to an internet cafe of borrow someone's computer on base.

Pinkrage wrote:Your hair looks awesome. I love shopping. Have Fun!
Thanks!
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 13th February 2010, 1:15 am

time flies doesn't it?? Don't feel blah..you will have more hair than you will know what to do with in no time flat. Happy 4 month Anniversary!!! woot!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 13th February 2010, 12:01 pm

Hey TJ

Congratulations on your 4 month anniversary.. cheers

What a opportunity to be able to help. I will keep you and all of the other volunteers in my prayers.

I love your wash'n'go it does look like a twist out. What are you using..i.e. conditioner and styling agents?

I know how you feel about hair growth...I put color on my hair so I could cover my grey and track my growth. (big mistake) However, my friends have been very encouraging and supportive, so I have more good days than bad.

Don't worry before we know it we will have hair like length like we want...hang in there!!!!

Happy Valentine Day!
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 16th February 2010, 8:35 pm

Hey TJ where are you? You leave in March right? I am missing your post. I pray all is well.
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 21st February 2010, 3:19 pm

sweetdrk1 wrote:time flies doesn't it?? Don't feel blah..you will have more hair than you will know what to do with in no time flat. Happy 4 month Anniversary!!! woot!
Thanks!!!

KinkyNappyHappy wrote:Hey TJ

Congratulations on your 4 month anniversary.. cheers

What a opportunity to be able to help. I will keep you and all of the other volunteers in my prayers.

I love your wash'n'go it does look like a twist out. What are you using..i.e. conditioner and styling agents?

I know how you feel about hair growth...I put color on my hair so I could cover my grey and track my growth. (big mistake) However, my friends have been very encouraging and supportive, so I have more good days than bad.

Don't worry before we know it we will have hair like length like we want...hang in there!!!!

Happy Valentine Day!

Thanks!!! For my WnG, what I use depends on how much time I'm willing to spend. If I want to do it quickly, I just use conditioner as a leave-in then scrunch in some HE TT mousse. If it want it more defined, I rake gel through sections of my hair. In both cases, I usually end up using a diffuser to help speed up drying time.

sweetdrk1 wrote:Hey TJ where are you? You leave in March right? I am missing your post. I pray all is well.
Yes, I leave in March. Between prepping for the trip and doing these grad school essays, I just haven't had time to post or look at anyone's thread. Hopefully I'll be able to catch up before I leave.
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 18 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next