CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Miss Jessie's = Mineral oil

+15
LadyMika
npsoul
LilyFlower8604
AfrikanLatina
yoli
jada1111
CityGirl81
Veela
Babs2009
Freestyles
Divinebeauty87
savvybrown
blondie
Lynnieluve
Mimi
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Miss Jessie's = Mineral oil Empty Miss Jessie's = Mineral oil

Post by Mimi 19th December 2009, 9:42 pm

The most of miss jessie's hair product contains mineral oil! It's #2 ingredient of all product. So miss jessie's is an over rate product! Mineral oils are cheap, you pay for the brand. And that's why a lot of people just like myself, are experience that there products is demoisterizing your hair!

I wasn't a wear of this although I'm alway's reading the ingredients, I didn't saw this one parafinium liquidum! A hairstylist who only uses natural hair produects, wearned me for this!

I'm glad she did!

Mimi

Back to top Go down

Miss Jessie's = Mineral oil Empty Re: Miss Jessie's = Mineral oil

Post by Lynnieluve 19th December 2009, 10:49 pm

I agree! It is definitely over rated!!! I got some MJ Baby buttercreme as a gift and I love the results it gives me with my twist/twist out. I only use it about 2 twice a month and I shampoo after using it. Once it runs out, I wont be purchasing it because it is TOO EXPENSIVE!!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie 20th December 2009, 9:20 pm

I actually requested an ingredient list for Miss Jessie's products (out of curiosity). I don't use their products because of the ingredients. For what they charge, you would think they would at least use decent ingredients!
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by savvybrown 21st December 2009, 2:53 pm

I agree.
I stopped using Miss Jessies products awhile ago, cuz they're full of icky stuff. Not just mineral oil and petroleum jelly, but Cones and parabens (which can be cancer causing) I make my own hair creams, but I also just ordered some Bee Hold Curly Butter from Bee Mine. It has all natural ingredients and the mango scent smells yummy! Haven't used it yet, but I will this week.

I got it from here:
http://beemineproducts.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6&zenid=caabe2967dcf595f4fbcf2732947ac2c
savvybrown
savvybrown

http://savvybrown.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mimi 21st December 2009, 6:27 pm

@savybrown: A hair stylist recommened that too!

Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post by savvybrown 21st December 2009, 7:30 pm

@Mimi really? What did the stylist say about it?
savvybrown
savvybrown

Back to top Go down

Post by Divinebeauty87 22nd December 2009, 3:24 am

I quit the Miss Jessie's products this past summer due to the ingredients. Plus, I have yielded better twistout results with cheaper products such as shea butter and aloe vera. I'm happy I only purchased a sample size package from them. I just throw the products away, because I wouldn't dare setup a friend for failure by passing the product on.
Divinebeauty87
Divinebeauty87

Back to top Go down

Post by Freestyles 23rd December 2009, 1:02 am

I happen to be one of the few that actually enjoy Miss Jessies Baby Buttercreme! However, I don't use it that often. I have the Bee Mine Bee Hold Curly pudding as well and I love it! I use it more often!

-Reese [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Freestyles
Freestyles

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 23rd December 2009, 3:07 am

Divinebeauty87 wrote:I quit the Miss Jessie's products this past summer due to the ingredients. Plus, I have yielded better twistout results with cheaper products such as shea butter and aloe vera. I'm happy I only purchased a sample size package from them. I just throw the products away, because I wouldn't dare setup a friend for failure by passing the product on.

This is just a suggestion: I give my hair products that dont work for the hair to a local womens shelter.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Mimi 23rd December 2009, 5:25 am

@ Savybrown: Well I told her everything about my hair! And then she said, that the products she sells have to be natural! I told her I wanted some nice defined curls without feeling dry with a firm hold. She suggested the Bee mine products, she got 3c hair and that she tried it her self and that she abosolutly love it. She said that I should give it try to get defined moisturized curls with a firm hold! So I'm going to!

Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post by Mimi 23rd December 2009, 5:28 am

@ Free styles: Because miss jessies is almost only Mineral oil and petrolum... These 2 ingredients are really A BIG NO NO for your hair on a long term. Almost every curl expert says this, these ingredients leave a film on your hair so that your won't get any moister

Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post by savvybrown 23rd December 2009, 8:40 am

by Lynnieluve
This is just a suggestion: I give my hair products that dont work for the hair to a local womens shelter.

That's a good idea!

@Mimi thanks! I'm definitely gonna try it!
savvybrown
savvybrown

Back to top Go down

Post by Babs2009 31st December 2009, 3:01 am

Below is Titi and Miko's reasoning behind using mineral oil in their products. This was an interview from Clutch Magazine I believe, I'll try to find the link.

Clutch: Some of the ingredients in your products: lye and mineral oil are ingredients that the “natural” community has said is unhealthy for our hair. How do you reinforce that your products are not just about styling but are also healthy in terms of maintenance?

Titi: As far as lye goes, we have used lye effectively in our salon for years. Lye has a negative connotation in the “natural” community because for some being “natural” is all about not using a chemical in one’s hair. We get that. Our Silkener service is a chemical service. The reason that people choose the Silkener service range from wanting more manageability to more versatility. It is not an unhealthy option. It’s an option that promotes easier maintenance for natural looking hair.
When we formulated our products we were aiming for performance. Our experience with cosmetics-grade mineral oil and petrolatum is that it is considered the safest, most nonirritating moisturizing ingredients ever found (Sources: Cosmetics & Toiletries, January 2001, page 79; Cosmetic Dermatology, September 2000, pages 44–46). Yes, they can keep air off the skin to some extent, but that’s what a good antioxidant is supposed to do; they don’t suffocate skin! Moreover, petrolatum and mineral oil are known for being efficacious in wound healing, and are also considered to be among the most effective moisturizing ingredients available (Source: Cosmetics & Toiletries, February 1998, pages 33–40). Mineral oil is just one ingredient in our product. The product also has other natural oils such as sweet almond oil, avocado oil, macadamia seed oil, shea butter which are proven to be moisturizing to the hair.

Babs2009

Back to top Go down

Post by savvybrown 31st December 2009, 4:13 pm

@Mimi, I used Bee Mine/BeeHold yesterday, and it turned out great! (see the pic) Thanks for the info!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
savvybrown
savvybrown

Back to top Go down

Post by savvybrown 31st December 2009, 4:47 pm

@Babs2009 thanks for the post and info. I think it all really comes down to how you define "natural" for yourself. On the other hand, they're right. Mineral Oil and Petroleum jelly won't kill you, but they can cause skin problems if used incorrectly.

Moreover, petrolatum and mineral oil are known for being efficacious in wound healing,

"Wound healing?" Ok, but unless doing your hair requires that you sustain 2nd degree burns It's not necessary.

When we formulated our products we were aiming for performance.

That really says it all. Their products will make your hair look nice, but they probably did minimum research about their ingredients long-term effects on us.

For instance, there are other ingredients like parabens that are in their products that are KNOWN to help cause cysts, and tumors. In fact methyl, ehyl and butyl parabens are in the majority of our haircare products. It's no wonder Black women have the leading cases of breat cancer and fibroids.
savvybrown
savvybrown

Back to top Go down

Post by Veela 31st December 2009, 4:58 pm

OMG. I am so thankful for this post. I don't know how or why I didn't know that. They were just such a trusted brand. I'm glad I know now because I got paid today and I had intended on catching the December buy one get one free sale and today is the last day. Thanks guys!
Veela
Veela

Back to top Go down

Post by savvybrown 31st December 2009, 5:37 pm

@Veela glad to help! Check out the Bee Mine/Bee Hold that Mimi and I were talking about. It's all natural and it acts just like MJ buttercreme.

http://beemineproducts.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6&zenid=2de4ec4aa05c3ef4daee24b44baa38ca

Happy New Year! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
savvybrown
savvybrown

Back to top Go down

Post by Veela 31st December 2009, 5:44 pm

Thanks for the info! I most certainly will, looks good and the price is not so bad..I'm still gasping about MJ... What a Face
Veela
Veela

Back to top Go down

Post by Babs2009 31st December 2009, 5:54 pm

savvybrown wrote:That really says it all. Their products will make your hair look nice, but they probably did minimum research about their ingredients long-term effects on us.

Oh they did their research. Do a google search on the old miss jessies. The old Miss Jessies used to be chock full of good, moisturizing, beneficial ingredients for your hair (aloe vera, shea butter, jojoba oil). Then they took out the good ingredients, replaced with mineral oil and hiked up the price.

Seriously, if you're going to cheapen your ingredients then cheapen the price. Otherwise I'll just buy a jar of vaseline and liven it up with with my own natural oils and butters.

I could see if they needed to raise the price in order to break profit, but to lower the quality at the same time is just shady. And really makes me question the morality of the owners (and if they actually use their own products).

Babs2009

Back to top Go down

Post by CityGirl81 31st December 2009, 7:53 pm

savvybrown wrote:@Mimi, I used Bee Mine/BeeHold yesterday, and it turned out great! (see the pic) Thanks for the info!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Absolutely beautiful
CityGirl81
CityGirl81

Back to top Go down

Post by savvybrown 31st December 2009, 9:46 pm

@CityGirl81 thanks!

@Babs2009 They're just trying to make money! Mineral oil and petroleum jelly stretch a product farther. As for their morals, I live in Brooklyn near Miss Jessie's original salon "Curls", and when I grew my hair out I tried making an appt but they had suddenly closed. An aquaintance who was a regular said that the sisters (biologically) had a huge fight, and one tried to take the entire business away from the other one and claim it as her own. So the sister that is the stylist took the salon to D.C., while the other kept the online product stuff going. Somehow they worked out their differences and now have a new salon here in Brooklyn at a different location. Not only did one sister try to take the business away from the other, but my aquantaince and others have had their pictures used without permission on their site.

I also used to live right by Carol's Daughter when she first opened up. (I mean FIRST opened, her stick-on labels had ink that would run LOL!) And her stuff was the BOMB. Her hair milk was the ish, but now that she's mass marketed and not making it in her kitchen anymore, the formulations have changed. After her stuff showed up in Sephora there was a backlash because they snuck in mineral oil, pertroleum jelly and chemical preservatives into some of her prodcuts.

Knowledge is power ladies.
savvybrown
savvybrown

Back to top Go down

Post by jada1111 1st January 2010, 2:23 am

I know for some hair products mineral oil can be useless, but the way Curly Buttercreme is formulated it leaves my hair supersoft and moisturized and consider it to be an HG forever until I find something cheaper that works just as good or better.

I didn't like Baby Buttercreme. That mess just sat on my hair and did nothing except make it feel greasy. I think it was designed for looser textures. I'm 4a/b and my CB is the bomb. Expensive as hell, but completely worth it.

jada1111

Back to top Go down

Post by jada1111 1st January 2010, 2:30 am

savvybrown wrote:@CityGirl81 thanks!

@Babs2009 They're just trying to make money! Mineral oil and petroleum jelly stretch a product farther. As for their morals, I live in Brooklyn near Miss Jessie's original salon "Curls", and when I grew my hair out I tried making an appt but they had suddenly closed. An aquaintance who was a regular said that the sisters (biologically) had a huge fight, and one tried to take the entire business away from the other one and claim it as her own. So the sister that is the stylist took the salon to D.C., while the other kept the online product stuff going. Somehow they worked out their differences and now have a new salon here in Brooklyn at a different location. Not only did one sister try to take the business away from the other, but my aquantaince and others have had their pictures used without permission on their site.

Finally! Someone who KNOWS the story of what went down. For the longest no one was able to answer the question on why they parted. I wonder which sister wanted the salon to herself?

I also used to live right by Carol's Daughter when she first opened up. (I mean FIRST opened, her stick-on labels had ink that would run LOL!) And her stuff was the BOMB. Her hair milk was the ish, but now that she's mass marketed and not making it in her kitchen anymore, the formulations have changed. After her stuff showed up in Sephora there was a backlash because they snuck in mineral oil, pertroleum jelly and chemical preservatives into some of her products.

I loved the hair milk back in the day. It was my favorite product now it's garbage and smells awful. My co-worker loves it though. I can only do the Healthy Hair Butter or the Tui Hair Oil Spray.

Knowledge is power ladies.[/quote]

jada1111

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie 1st January 2010, 5:17 am

Babs2009 wrote: I could see if they needed to raise the price in order to break profit, but to lower the quality at the same time is just shady. And really makes me question the morality of the owners (and if they actually use their own products).

Preach girl!
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mimi 1st January 2010, 7:55 am

@savybrown: It looks gorgeous! Absolutly beautiful!

Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next