CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mineral Oil is worse than I Thought!

+11
bholmes87
snappynappy
CrissyQ
poeticlyspkng
CocoEuro
jlowman1
Karyn
sweetdrk1
LadyMika
NikG20
Juices-n-Berries
15 posters

Go down

Mineral Oil is worse than I Thought! Empty Mineral Oil is worse than I Thought!

Post by Juices-n-Berries 6th April 2010, 3:07 pm

Now, alot of curlies avoid mineral oil because it blocks the hair from getting moisture. But I had no idea it was considered a carcinogen and had so many dangerous effects. Did you?

Heres an exert from OSHA.GOV

"2. Effects on Humans: Exposure to mineral oil mists can cause eye,
skin,

and upper respiratory tract irritation as well as central nervous system

effects in humans. In addition, certain mineral oils are carcinogenic
in

humans
[Hathaway et al. 1991]. Exposure to mineral oil mists can result
in

localized irritation of the mucous membranes, and if exposures are
excessive,

headaches, dizziness, and drowsiness may result [Genium 1985]. Liquid

petrolatum is essentially innocuous when it comes in contact with human

corneas [Grant 1986]. A case of lipoid pneumonia was reported in a
worker

following a high-exposure to mineral oil with inadequate ventilation
[ACGIH

1991; Hathaway et al. 1991]. Many studies confirm that poorly refined
mineral

oil can induce skin and scrotal cancers after prolonged, repeated, and
heavy

direct contact with the skin [ACGIH 1991]
. In addition, repeated dermal

exposures may result in dermatitis [Genium 1985].
Aspiration of mineral
oil

mists into the lungs can result in blue coloration of the skin, rapid

heartbeat, fever, and chemical pneumonia possibly followed by a
secondary

infection [Genium 1985; Sittig 1991]. Ingestion will cause a burning

sensation in the mouth, throat, and stomach followed by vomiting,
diarrhea,

and belching [Sittig 1991]. IARC has concluded that there is sufficient

evidence for the carcinogenicity of untreated and mildly treated oils in

humans, but inadequate evidence for highly-refined oils [IARC 1987].

* Signs and symptoms of exposure

1. Acute exposure: Acute exposures to mineral oil mists may result in

eye, skin, or upper respiratory tract irritation, headaches, dizziness,

drowsiness, or the respiratory distress associated with chemical
pneumonia.

Aspiration may result in fever, rapid heartbeat, or cyanosis.

2. Chronic exposure: Chronic exposures to mineral oil mists may
result in

skin irritation or dermatitis, shortness of breath, coughing, wheezing,
or

tachypnea."

That's only the half. If you would like to read the full article, here's the link
http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/healthguidelines/oilmist/recognition.html

Last edited by Juices-n-Berries on 6th April 2010, 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Mineral Oil is worse than I Thought! Empty Re: Mineral Oil is worse than I Thought!

Post by NikG20 6th April 2010, 3:14 pm

Yikes. Makes me want to check my lotion and other things as well.
NikG20
NikG20

http://www.beadsbraidsbeyond.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Mineral Oil is worse than I Thought! Empty Re: Mineral Oil is worse than I Thought!

Post by LadyMika 6th April 2010, 3:16 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ........Holy isht. I always knew it was bad, but DAMN.
LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 6th April 2010, 4:10 pm

Good Gravy!!! You will have me reading everything now!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by Karyn 6th April 2010, 4:25 pm

Fail. My facial moisturizer (Ponds Dry Skin Cream) has mineral oil in it [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Karyn
Karyn

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 6th April 2010, 5:08 pm

O wow, thanks for posting this. My LeKair Cholesterol has mineral oil in it, I will be shopping for a replacement product ASAP!
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by CocoEuro 6th April 2010, 5:31 pm

Wow why is this crap in almost every beauty product????? Goodness!
CocoEuro
CocoEuro

http://naturalcurlykinks.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by poeticlyspkng 6th April 2010, 7:07 pm

wow. thats scary!!!
poeticlyspkng
poeticlyspkng

http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/the-curl-street-journal-f14

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 6th April 2010, 7:33 pm

Thanks
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by snappynappy 6th April 2010, 7:50 pm

LadyMika wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ........Holy isht. I always knew it was bad, but DAMN.

I dont know why this is funny, but its is!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
snappynappy
snappynappy

Back to top Go down

Post by bholmes87 6th April 2010, 8:29 pm

jlowman1 wrote:O wow, thanks for posting this. My LeKair Cholesterol has mineral oil in it, I will be shopping for a replacement product ASAP!
Daaaang I was thinking the same thing! I have LeKair sitting in my hair right now ... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
bholmes87
bholmes87

http://fotki.com/bholmes87

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 6th April 2010, 9:54 pm

cocoeuro wrote:Wow why is this crap in almost every beauty product????? Goodness!

It's a cheap ingredient.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie 7th April 2010, 12:00 am

cocoeuro wrote:Wow why is this crap in almost every beauty product????? Goodness!

Why? Because it's cheap. Durn shame.

Now y'all see why my siggy says what it does!
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by Karyn 7th April 2010, 12:54 am

Er...wait...it says only certain mineral oils are carcinogenic, meaning that there are multiple types of mineral oil, right?Do we really think that just putting some mineral oil on our hair or on our skin would be considered "high exposure"? Or even that companies use poorly refined mineral oil? And what the heck is a mineral oil mist? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I dunno, I'm a little skeptical of this now that I've re-read it. It's kinda like, standing in front of a microwave. Everyone always tells us not to do it, but I do it most of the time and I'm fine [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Meh. I love my Ponds hahaha. I just won't use mineral oil in my hair (it does nothing for it anyways).
Karyn
Karyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 7th April 2010, 1:01 am

Karyn wrote:Er...wait...it says only certain mineral oils are carcinogenic, meaning that there are multiple types of mineral oil, right?Do we really think that just putting some mineral oil on our hair or on our skin would be considered "high exposure"? Or even that companies use poorly refined mineral oil? And what the heck is a mineral oil mist? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I dunno, I'm a little skeptical of this now that I've re-read it. It's kinda like, standing in front of a microwave. Everyone always tells us not to do it, but I do it most of the time and I'm fine [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Meh. I love my Ponds hahaha. I just won't use mineral oil in my hair (it does nothing for it anyways).

I had some of the same questions when reading this Karyn. I tried looking up mineral oil without the mist on the site but didn't find it. So I assume this applies to all forms. Plus, this isn't the only site that states mineral oil can be carcinogenic. Also, if you go to the full article, it does site cosmetics to be a method of exposure. Furthermore, I would hope that companies would use a well refined one, but is there any way to know? My thing is, if at any point within it's lifespan, be it in a mist or during the refining process, a chemical was harmful, how can I know that this has been eliminated by it being in a different form? Just like ice and steam. They're both still water either way you look at it. That being said, I'm not saying anything bad is going to happen if you use it. They say everything causes cancer these days. If you follow it all you may as well just live on your back patio (gotta get that Vit D) drinking water (but not bottled cuz you might ingest plastic) and taking vitamin pills (cause every food has pesticides, or chemicals that make 13 year olds look 30). [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

BUT I'm with Blondie. I'm not taking ANY chances.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by Karyn 7th April 2010, 1:11 am

Juices-n-Berries wrote:
Karyn wrote:Er...wait...it says only certain mineral oils are carcinogenic, meaning that there are multiple types of mineral oil, right?Do we really think that just putting some mineral oil on our hair or on our skin would be considered "high exposure"? Or even that companies use poorly refined mineral oil? And what the heck is a mineral oil mist? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I dunno, I'm a little skeptical of this now that I've re-read it. It's kinda like, standing in front of a microwave. Everyone always tells us not to do it, but I do it most of the time and I'm fine [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Meh. I love my Ponds hahaha. I just won't use mineral oil in my hair (it does nothing for it anyways).

I had some of the same questions when reading this Karyn. I tried looking up mineral oil without the mist on the site but didn't find it. So I assume this applies to all forms. Plus, this isn't the only site that states mineral oil can be carcinogenic. Also, if you go to the full article, it does site cosmetics to be a method of exposure. Furthermore, I would hope that companies would use a well refined one, but is there any way to know? My thing is, if at any point within it's lifespan, be it in a mist or during the refining process, a chemical was harmful, how can I know that this has been eliminated by it being in a different form? Just like ice and steam. They're both still water either way you look at it. That being said, I'm not saying anything bad is going to happen if you use it. They say everything causes cancer these days. If you follow it all you may as well just live on your back patio (gotta get that Vit D) drinking water (but not bottled cuz you might ingest plastic) and taking vitamin pills (cause every food has pesticides, or chemicals that make 13 year olds look 30). [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

BUT I'm with Blondie. I'm not taking ANY chances.

Forrealz, everything nowadays is bad. Iunno. I'm already gonna get breast cancer from soy [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I was going to look for another moisturizer anyways. Got any recommendations? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Karyn
Karyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 7th April 2010, 3:37 am

Depends on your skin type. I have very dry skin so I've been using raw shea butter or a shea butter mix. It works wonders for my skin. I don't get flaky anymore and it's even evening up my skin tone. I hear people with oily skin also use shea on their face as well, but probably not as much.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 7th April 2010, 3:43 am

GO JnB!!! Put that pharmacautical edu--ma--cation to work..... lol!

But this topic is no laughing matter.
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 7th April 2010, 12:32 pm

fyi: a lot of toxicity studies use the chemical being studied in the most undiluted/adulterated state at varying concentrations (even concentrations so high that it is ridiculous) to test to the rigor of acceptability by the body. they do this in order to delineate the highest concentration that is acceptable in formulations for cosmetics, drugs and food. so, a lot of studies do not test the chemical in question while in formulation. also, studies can only account for so many different physical reactions by the body, and as such, there will always be outliers.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 7th April 2010, 1:38 pm

Intelligentbeauty wrote:GO JnB!!! Put that pharmacautical edu--ma--cation to work..... lol!

But this topic is no laughing matter.

Lol.

dajewel wrote:fyi: a lot of toxicity studies use the chemical being studied in the most undiluted/adulterated state at varying concentrations (even concentrations so high that it is ridiculous) to test to the rigor of acceptability by the body. they do this in order to delineate the highest concentration that is acceptable in formulations for cosmetics, drugs and food. so, a lot of studies do not test the chemical in question while in formulation. also, studies can only account for so many different physical reactions by the body, and as such, there will always be outliers.

Thanks so much for stopping by and giving us some input. I know that these studies can be unrealistic. I wasn't trying to scare anyone. Just sharing. However, I still think I'll stick to products that are safe even in their undiluted, unrefined state; like shea butter.

But I'd be interested to see what other thoughts you have on it or any more accurate chemical findings?
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down