CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

miss jessies products

+12
Emartini04
naturallynola
annierocket
Free2Be
Takeya
Renny
curlya
ti4782
cluelesscurl
chynadoll8799
Lynnieluve
queeks
16 posters

Go down

miss jessies products Empty miss jessies products

Post by queeks 16th September 2010, 8:38 pm

heyy my fellow naturals,
I was just wondering about miss jessie's products. I wanted to know if those of you who use mj products have trouble with washing your hair to get the product out because of the cones and mineral oil that they contain. do you have to use a sulfate shampoo? or is using an apple cider rinse or sulfate free clarifying shampoo good?

thanks

queeks

Back to top Go down

miss jessies products Empty Re: miss jessies products

Post by Lynnieluve 16th September 2010, 9:15 pm

I no longer use MJs products but when I did, I used a sulfate shampoo (Cream of Nature - it doesnt strip or make my hair dry).
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by chynadoll8799 17th September 2010, 7:46 pm

I was going to ask about this.
I had heard so many good things about MJ's and how well it worked. I checked out their website, the clients' hair looks MARVELOUS! and then I spent a tank of gas on one small container of buttercreme and I was A. disappointed because i was not expecting a minty smell. I mean, hello....its called buttercreme! shouldn't it smell like cake icing? :-) and B. disappointed because I did not get the marvelous results I was expecting. I guess i thought that for $32 it HADto be a miracle cure for my hair. It really only made my hair LOOK good but FEEL greasy temporarily.
I tried to hang on to it, like a bad relationship with a man you just KNOW you can change/fix ..........AND the container has the NERVE to say its also for "transitioners".
im terribly disappointed, moreso in myself for thinking the product was better due to its price.
i just find that i get so much build up form this stuff!
But i cant let go of it for $32!
The 2nd ingredient is mineral oil....Not good.....

chynadoll8799

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 17th September 2010, 7:54 pm

@ Chynadoll - That's why I got rid of it. My hair looked AMAZING!! I got GREAT definition with my twist outs but around day 3 or 4 my hair felt awful!! It felt so icky and dry!!! I had the Baby Buttercream. It was a gift so it didnt hurt my pockets to give it away.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by chynadoll8799 17th September 2010, 7:56 pm

i might give mine to someone i really hate! just kidding. (can you tell im still mad about the price?)

chynadoll8799

Back to top Go down

Post by cluelesscurl 18th September 2010, 11:24 am

I never tried the product so I really can't knock it. But there are for two reasons for me not trying it. The price is ridiculous and I've heard more negative reviews than positive. I mean really why is it so expensive and they have ingredients that are a BIG NO-NO. The only way I'll try is if I win it or something.@chynadoll I understand your frustration. VENT GIRL VENT
LOL

cluelesscurl

Back to top Go down

Post by ti4782 21st October 2010, 3:05 pm

I recently purchased a jar of the buttercream from MJ as well to use on my dd and was not pleased at all. Perhaps I am new to this and bought the wrong thing but I made the purchase because it claimed to be good for transitioners. I used it for twistouts and when I untwisted the next day it was very dry and brittle.

ti4782

Back to top Go down

Post by curlya 21st October 2010, 3:18 pm

I have not used any of mj's products. I have stopped and looked several times while at Tar-Jay; but I can not bing myself to spend that much. I just can't. No
curlya
curlya

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 21st October 2010, 3:57 pm

I have not tried Miss Jessie's but I know several people who absolutely love it and are willing to pay for it. I just ordered a sample of the Curly Merignue, because one of my favorite YTubers stretches it with other products and got great results. I figured I'd try it.

If you're opposed to using products with mineral oil then stay clear. I think it's in all the products.

@Chyna - Buttercream definitely should smell like buttercream, not mint. Yuk!
Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Takeya 21st October 2010, 5:36 pm

I really like Miss Jessie's Quick Curls. While the ingredients aren't great, I don't think it has mineral oil.

The only other MJ product I've tried is the curly pudding but did not like it at all. I only bought a sample size and I still have some left...smells like grape Bubble Yum to me!
Takeya
Takeya

http://www.justtakeya.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Free2Be 21st October 2010, 11:17 pm

I don't know why I even still have the MJ Curly Pudding. I have no idea because it always produces the very same results for my WNGs: product-y feel, i.e. tacky, sticky and crunchy. It doesn't play well with others (anything else I use with it produces a whitish foamy sticky residue). Finally, it's just too darn expensive to not perform at or above 100%.

I tried the Baby Buttercream and hated the smell, although I liked the results of THAT product better than the pudding.

But I refuse to ever pay such an exorbitant amount of money for any of their products again. They'd have to work for me every, single time, not just once in a while and then I don't like the idea of always having to use a sulfate shampoo to get that gunk out of my head. BUT I do love the way the curly pudding smells.
Free2Be
Free2Be

Back to top Go down

Post by annierocket 21st October 2010, 11:44 pm

Two years ago when I first went natural I used Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding and I loved it! You have to use just the right amount or you do get a very product-y, if you figure out the right amount it defines your curls beautifully.

Once my 2nd natural journey I just bought the buttercreme and I too was disappointed with the minty smell (wanted something closer to cake batter :-) Still not sure I like the buttercreme but I am trying to use it with other combos to see if the experience gets better
annierocket
annierocket

http://www.annierocketsaidit.com (coming soon)

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 21st October 2010, 11:50 pm

I've never used MJ b/c of the ingredients I have seen; however, I want to try the deep conditioner. Those ingredients actually look good and the product is only $10.00. Just waiting for one of the Target stores to get with the natural hair program. I went to CurlMart to copy the ingredients to post and I didn't see it. Actually, all her products were much, much cheaper than what I have heard people say. Anyway, has anyone used the weekly conditioner?

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Emartini04 22nd October 2010, 9:45 am

Haven't tried it but curious about the quick curls. I hear great things about it on youtube. A few of my natural friends use miss jessies butter creme and their hair looks really bouncy and defined but the mineral oil ingrediant keeps me away.
Emartini04
Emartini04

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconTress 22nd October 2010, 11:09 am

I went to CurlMart to copy the ingredients to post and I didn't see it. Actually, all her products were much, much cheaper than what I have heard people say.

The low prices ($7-$9)that you see on the front page are for 2 oz. sizes. Click thru on Baby Buttercreme and scroll down and you will see that 8 oz are $32 and 16 oz are $58.

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 22nd October 2010, 11:11 am

What a marketing technique! Well, I am only interesting in trying the weekly condish anyway.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 22nd October 2010, 11:12 am

Falcon Tress - Thank you. Think I will wait on Target

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconTress 22nd October 2010, 11:25 am

Think I will wait on Target
You are welcome. At least you won't have to pay for shipping if you buy locally. Also if you make a $50 purchase from Target online the shipping is free. They may even lower that threshold for Black Friday.

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakButterfli 22nd October 2010, 12:57 pm

My 2 cents...

...MJ and I NEVER got along. I've used the Baby Buttercreme and got decent definition on a twist-out, but my hair felt scrubbed and just scruffy just a day later. I was NOT happy with that.

And yes - the pricing is ridiculous. I've gone on their website before and while the pictures look amazing, I think some of their clients have received their chemical process - I forget what it's called - so to me, that's like false advertising.
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post by blkbeauty2010 13th November 2010, 9:54 pm

I hated the MJ curly pudding... wouldnt even put it on a dead animal or wish the outcome on my worst enemy... NIGHTMARE after washing condish yadda yadda yadda waited for it to dry and wasnt sure if once i pulled my hand out of my hair i would still have 4 fingers and a thumb! I'm on the fence about the quick curls i got good definition and shine but there was no such things as 2nd day hair with this product. I love the baby sweet back conditioner and us it to dc every time i wash a little goes a long way. i havent used the buttercreme even though iv had the sample size for a while cuz im so turned off by the mint smell. would love to try the hair repair probably will pick it up last week. NOTE TO READERS if unsure about product seek out sample size containers if i would have purchased full size my cost would have been over $100 and i only ended up loving one!
blkbeauty2010
blkbeauty2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 13th November 2010, 10:48 pm

I finally used the Curly Meringue. I purchased a 2 oz. sample in my little Curlmart haul. I mixed 2 tsp of Meringue with 2 tsp. of aloe vera gel. I got the receipe from Kimmaytube. My hair looked and felt luscious. It didn't get dry at all.

I was curious about it, but I can't say I'd buy the Meringue again. It's just too expensive to not have all natural ingredients. Plus the PJ in me wants to move on to something else.
Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Post by jerseygirl 14th November 2010, 12:28 am

FYI Ladies: I like MJ Products and it works great on me and my 12yrs old daughter's natural hair. Around the holidays MJ has a BOGO Free Sale but since they are at Target now, I'm not sure if they are still having there On-Line BOGO Free Sale. This is the perfect time to try and stock up on products especially the Rapid Recovery Deep Conditioner and I want to try there new Super Sweetback Treatment too. I have use the Curly Merringe, Buttercream, Quick Curlz, Rapid Recovery but I didnt care for the shampoos and conditioners. You must use a light oil and a leave-in conditioner under MJ styling products. I also mix aloe vera gel with my curly merringe for my flat twist styles.
jerseygirl
jerseygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down