CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pre-poo vs. Deep Conditioning

+2
tiashaunteé
curleebrown
6 posters

Go down

Pre-poo vs. Deep Conditioning Empty Pre-poo vs. Deep Conditioning

Post by curleebrown 16th December 2009, 3:20 pm

Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you guys prefer pre-pooing to deep conditioning or vice versa. And for those that don't know, pre-poo is basically applying oil to your hair for an alloted amount of time, before shampooing. I would love to know if one worked better over the other or if you do both and what the results have been.

Thx!
curleebrown
curleebrown

Back to top Go down

Pre-poo vs. Deep Conditioning Empty Re: Pre-poo vs. Deep Conditioning

Post by tiashaunteé 16th December 2009, 3:46 pm

You just read my mind! I was wondering the same thing.....waiting for answers
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonezy 16th December 2009, 4:08 pm

I start pre-pooing this month before every wash because of the particular ingredients I wash with. I have to detangle & section my hair before washing anyway, so adding on the oil it isn't a big deal. I find my hair is softer and easier to manage during the wash.

I have a conditioner I leave on under a cap for about 5 minutes while still in the shower.... that's about as deep as my conditioning gets, I just can't get down with getting in and out of the shower silent (unless I've used Henna--then the conditioner stays in for an hour+)
Jonezy
Jonezy

http://www.bleucoiffure.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by maysay 16th December 2009, 5:02 pm

My hair has improved greatly since I started doing a pre-wash oiling with coconut oil. I've been doing it for over a year now and I won't ever stop. DC'ing never really did anything for me and I believe the scientists when they say that past 15 or so minutes, there's no added benefit to leaving conditioner on your hair. I also personally don't believe it's a good idea to use heat to deep condition since it's supposed to open or lift the cuticles...imo that just contributes to the hair being weaker (bc you're constantly opening and closing the protective layer) and then needing to use other products like reconstructors and heavy protein to fix the weakness.

I love coconut oil because it penetrates all the way to the cortex on its own, if you give it a little time. It also makes it much easier to detangle so my hair doesn't get knotted up in the shower (I wash loose) and it gives my hair a lasting soft and silky feel. I only use conditioner to wash my hair now, but I still do my oiling.

maysay

Back to top Go down

Post by curleebrown 16th December 2009, 5:09 pm

Well ladies I'm going to start incorporating this into my routine regularly to see how it goes, and I'll be starting this weekend. I'm actually going to mix coconut oil with melted shea butter and a pre-poo treatment. I figure since my hair is responding so well to shea butter, I might as well try as a pre-poo. I've been deep conditioning regularly with heat, but I'm kind of tired of jumping in and out of the shower, and I can't tell if it's doing anything beneficial or not. I'll definitely let you guys know how it goes this weekend.

Maysay, just to make sure i"m understanding correctly, are you doing this pre-poo without heat? And also how long do you leave the oil on your hair before you wash?
curleebrown
curleebrown

Back to top Go down

Post by maysay 16th December 2009, 6:32 pm

curleebrown wrote:

Maysay, just to make sure i"m understanding correctly, are you doing this pre-poo without heat? And also how long do you leave the oil on your hair before you wash?

Yup, no heat used.

Basically I just oil my hair before I go to sleep. I use enough so that I can feel the oil on there but it's not dripping. Then I cover with my scarf as usual. Between washes coconut oil is the only thing I use so I generally already have a bit of oil on my hair anyway.

maysay

Back to top Go down

Post by HappigocurliJenn 16th December 2009, 8:29 pm

@ Maysay- do you let the coconut oil melt before putting it in your hair for pre-poo? I have some coconut oil and I would like to try a pre-poo with it but I don't know if I should let it liquify a bit first. Thank you
HappigocurliJenn
HappigocurliJenn

Back to top Go down

Post by maysay 17th December 2009, 12:12 am

HappigocurliJenn wrote:@ Maysay- do you let the coconut oil melt before putting it in your hair for pre-poo? I have some coconut oil and I would like to try a pre-poo with it but I don't know if I should let it liquify a bit first. Thank you

I just dig some out and squish it through my hair in sections. As I'm squishing it through it starts to melt/liquefy. I like my coconut oil solid (I keep it near the a/c0, it's easier for me to work with that way and I don't use too much.

maysay

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 17th December 2009, 6:30 pm

When pre-pooing, from what I understand, the oil/product is applied to the shaft portion of the hair. Correct?
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 17th December 2009, 7:29 pm

I recently started pre pooing overnight. My best results so far was with VO5 conditioner and oil olive. I'm with Jonezy, I dont like getting in and out the shower. I have never noticed any changes in my hair with deep conditioning either but I just thought it was because I havent found the right product yet. I will continue to do both.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by curleebrown 21st December 2009, 8:56 pm

Well I pre-poo'd this weekend as promised. First I pre-poo'd with olive oil/coconut oil with 30 minutes and heat. Did a conditioner wash with Trader Joe's Nourishspa and then used the nourishspa for a braidout. Sealed with my own mix of shea butter, jojoba, olive oil, castor oil, and coconut oil. A lot of oils, I know, but I love it. lol. Honestly I can't remember what happened, but for whatever reason I decided to do it again the next day, but I decided to add conditioner. I think per usual, I was searching a random hair site and people mentioned their success with pre-pooing with conditioner and oil. Sooo...

The next day I pre-poo'd with Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deep Conditioner and coconut oil/olive oil. Sat with that and used heat for 30 minutes. Rinsed it out and all I can say is WOW. I then decided to use shampoo on my scalp only (because I had been using so many oils throughout the week) But then, through pure curiosity decided to do an oil rinse (used castor oil) Hair felt a little waxy. But then I followed up with Herbal Essence Hello Hydration and all I can say is SUPER WOW. My hair was sooo freakin soft. I then did a braidout with HE dangerously straight, diluted setting lotion, and used shea/coconut oil on the ends only and my hair really liked it. Unfortunately my hair was a little damp in the morning, so I had to get under the dryer for a few minutes but my hair ended up virtually frizz free and soft and shiny.

Oh and I just remembered why I decided to pre-poo 2 days in a row. The first day my hair was a little frizzy. So I decided to do a dusting, and beyond the search and destroy method. Ala...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3C0ndGIZpg

Ahhh, I knew there was a method to my madness somwhere. lol. The dusting/beyond the search and destroy method cut down the frizziness dramatically. I was able to get the splits that were further up my hair shaft near my scalp, making for a nice neat braidout.
curleebrown
curleebrown

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down