CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ask CurlyNikki

+74
Nali1987
KeAnia
Sebastain13
nappylicious1991
shugashawn
kinkycurlyhair
CurlyGirly213
yascad
Hurricane Curly
MicaiahTy
cnr20
curlytee
KeyshDiiva
Princeszfefe
deeply_rooted_chick
sydnilux
Jade013
marbar1908
CurlyChick
PearlsNCurls
NaturalNixon
vianne
ChrsLvsBks
NhappyJackie
Mrs. Hudson
MissCurly
Russianjoy
Flyychik23
Veela
BajanPrincess82
tsa919
cococurly
Lynnieluve
vonda4b
MNHair
maxx923
Ellagirl
Notthecoolmom
LOVELYREAN
tiashaunteƩ
Kea::curls
curleetricee
curly+kinky+fierce
PunkinPie
CurlyMix
NubieNatty
curlyamazon
Leila
O'soLuscious Fro
curlyq145
sweetdrk1
AfrikanLatina
MrsLambsWool
Hollis
FemmeNaturale
desma natural in combat
nmoultry
Marche'
TerraD
D-Lish
shayladu
d.denise
loveself247
Libra0808
Enchantment
StealMyHeartLovee
krenea
Intelligentbeauty
NappyJer19
WarriorPrincess
natural83
BlondeByDesire
Mrs.ATLien
*CurlyNikki*
78 posters

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Ask CurlyNikki - Page 2 Empty Re: Ask CurlyNikki

Post by *CurlyNikki* 4th November 2009, 7:30 pm

@krenea, I purchase from Ulta...I buy the large size and it lasts for months. It's actually time to re-up Smile www.curlmart.com has it too, but with the cost of shipping added, it's just easier and cheaper to purchase from Ulta.

@loveself247:
1. I'm not very heavy handed with my shea butter, and build up is almost never an issue for me. Shampoos, even mild ones, make my hair dry and super tangly. I've learned that henna strips my hair of many impurities, and that once a month, plus one poo is really all I need. Now, if I was going hard with gels or hair spray, I'd probably have a problem. The cowashes, and henna treatments (which aren't so frequent anymore) keep my hair clean and happy.

2. Yep Smile

3. As always, what works for me, won't work for everyone. I know naturals that don't wet their hair but once a month! I know naturals that lo-poo daily...try a routine for a few weeks, assess the situation, and proceed from there.

@natural83, I just love that avatar! I know I told you once already...but it's flyy Smile

I really like the Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine conditioner...it has a good amount of hold, just not as much moisture as Deva. It's a mainstay in my arsenal, and I use it at least a couple times a month in place of Deva. It actually has more hold and slip than deva.
HE holds for some, but not for me. I can't leave it in--my hair feels too soft, and the curls break apart. I can't speak on Pantene Smile

hth!!
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

http://www.curlynikki.com

Back to top Go down

Post by d.denise 4th November 2009, 7:35 pm

Toootally not hair related lol but it's about the forum. I'm trying to put pictures in my post and instead of the little box having the option for me to upload pics it goes to some website. weird! I don't know what I did or if I even did anything but it was working perfectly fine yesterday Sad

And since the box is so little I can't even see what the website says or go out of it... Can you help somehow? I was gonna upload my hairstory today but the servimg site is trying to keep us from sharing our natural beauty with one other! lol I think it may be a ploy by the relaxer industry..... aggghhhh
d.denise
d.denise

Back to top Go down

Post by *CurlyNikki* 4th November 2009, 7:40 pm

LOL@ d. denise! The relaxer industry...nice [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Are you trying to host an image from your comp, or are you hitting the button to load one from a website?

It's working fine on my end. Maybe try logging out, and logging back in...delete some cookies, lol, you know the drill! I'll check it out on this end.
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by d.denise 4th November 2009, 7:53 pm

got it!!!!!! deleting cookies did the trick. THANKS :-)

take that relaxer industry lol [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] now back to my hair story. check it out in a few!
d.denise
d.denise

Back to top Go down

Post by *CurlyNikki* 4th November 2009, 8:10 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by loveself247 4th November 2009, 8:22 pm

Thanks Nikki
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 4th November 2009, 8:38 pm

*CurlyNikki* wrote:@krenea, I purchase from Ulta...I buy the large size and it lasts for months. It's actually time to re-up [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] www.curlmart.com has it too, but with the cost of shipping added, it's just easier and cheaper to purchase from Ulta.

@loveself247:
1. I'm not very heavy handed with my shea butter, and build up is almost never an issue for me. Shampoos, even mild ones, make my hair dry and super tangly. I've learned that henna strips my hair of many impurities, and that once a month, plus one poo is really all I need. Now, if I was going hard with gels or hair spray, I'd probably have a problem. The cowashes, and henna treatments (which aren't so frequent anymore) keep my hair clean and happy.

2. Yep [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

3. As always, what works for me, won't work for everyone. I know naturals that don't wet their hair but once a month! I know naturals that lo-poo daily...try a routine for a few weeks, assess the situation, and proceed from there.

@natural83, I just love that avatar! I know I told you once already...but it's flyy [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I really like the Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine conditioner...it has a good amount of hold, just not as much moisture as Deva. It's a mainstay in my arsenal, and I use it at least a couple times a month in place of Deva. It actually has more hold and slip than deva.
HE holds for some, but not for me. I can't leave it in--my hair feels too soft, and the curls break apart. I can't speak on Pantene [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

hth!!

Thanks girl for the avatar compliment! So I saw where you said that Ulta carries the DevaCare One Conditioner. Sooooo, me being the anxious girlie that I am, and because Ulta is like 10 minutes away from my house...guess what??? Ha...I went and bought some literally like 15 minutes ago! Sooo excited to use it! So I'll have to let you know how my hair turns out!!!! So I guess now my question is, what should I co-wash with, or does it really matter? I was thinking the HE Totally Twisted. Thanks for all your help! You are the bomb diggity!
natural83
natural83

Back to top Go down

Post by *CurlyNikki* 4th November 2009, 8:47 pm

lol! You just pulled one of my moves!!! shhh...we won't tell nobody Wink

TT is what I use, so that should be just fine! For extra slippage, apply the Deva, in sections, before you get out of the shower. It helps me keep my hair from re-tangling, and weighs the hair down...making it easier to manipulate and twist. The only problem is that it takes longer to dry.

good luck and report back tomorrow!
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Enchantment 4th November 2009, 9:54 pm

Thanks Nikki for answering my flexi rod question. Ok, here's the follow, did you not use the flexi rods in place of curl formers? I wasn't going to twist first for the curly fro. I hope this makes sense.
Enchantment
Enchantment

Back to top Go down

Post by *CurlyNikki* 4th November 2009, 10:11 pm

nope...I've never used flexi-rods like I used the curl formers. I've read, however, that people get very good (straight root) sets with flexis...you should be fine Smile Please come back and post results (and details!) for the rest of us.

nik
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Enchantment 4th November 2009, 10:16 pm

Ok, thanks. Will do!
Enchantment
Enchantment

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 6th November 2009, 6:21 am

HEY NIKKI,
You mentioned before that you don't wait for the color change on henna before applying it to your hair. You instead put it on overnight and let it release overnight. Is this correct? Because if so that would be awesome for my schedule.
Thanks sincerely
P.S.--I am learning so much from you and your guests. My hair has been so much softer and richer since I stopped adding proteins because of curl whisper info and you. Thank you so much.
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by *CurlyNikki* 6th November 2009, 7:14 am

You're absolutely correct! It works better for my schedule as well. The warm tea automatically releases some dye, but the rest is released while on your head overnight.
I'm so happy that you enjoy the blog!
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by loveself247 6th November 2009, 2:09 pm

Hello NIkki, my semester will be starting in January and I will be so busy with my classes that I will have limited time to style my hair like I can now. I was wondering what were your thoughts on braids (zillions/micro braids) to be exact. I'm afraid of getting them because I don't want my hear breaking off around my edges. I got them years ago and took them out two weeks later because they were TOO tight and I was afraid my edges were going to break off. I want to keep my hair as healthy as possible while transitioning. Can I keep my hair moisturized and healthy in braids or can you suggest some other style for me that carries little maintenance?

Thanks Curly Gurly!
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

Post by *CurlyNikki* 6th November 2009, 2:22 pm

My delicate strands would be unable to sustain the weight of the braids--I'd have breakage and possibly even traction alopecia to look forward to.

With that said, many women find that braid extensions (as well as weaves and wigs) are excellent low mani ways to grow out natural hair.

Check out the Crown and Glory method, HERE.
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by loveself247 6th November 2009, 2:27 pm

yeah Nikki, I have the same issue and that's part of the reason why I have been discouraged to get them. I guess I may just have to keep my hair pulled up in a bun or something.

Thanks Curly Gurly
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

Post by *CurlyNikki* 6th November 2009, 2:29 pm

Stretched out hair (using flexis, curlformers, or twists), in a loose bun would be my choice.
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by loveself247 6th November 2009, 2:38 pm

Yeah, that sounds like an idea. I need something low maintenance but at the same time I want to keep my hair healthy

Thanks Nik
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

Post by shayladu 6th November 2009, 2:47 pm

Nikki my daughter is in sports and to keep me from having to manipulate her hair as much and because of the conveince of it I braid it up and I do add hair to if human hair and i am doing it this weekend. What I usually do before I rebraid I would wash and then blow dry and then flat iron it and then clip for split ends. I will not do that this time since NOW I know better. But my question really is while it is in the braids her scalp would tend to be dry and you just educated me the other day on the cloggin factors of grease. So what should I use to keep her hair from being so dry while it is in braids. Her hair grows so good in braids because I don't manipulate it so much with heat(yes miseducated UNTIL NOW) Also should I leave in conditioner before I braid it.
Oh I do not braid her hair tight actually the back of her hair are done individually and I part it from ear to ear and from the front to the ear I do those braids to the scalp so they can be taken down and redone every two weeks so the style stays fresh and neat looking.

Thanks
shayladu

shayladu

Back to top Go down

Post by D-Lish 6th November 2009, 7:03 pm

Yay it's 5:02! lol. Hi Nikki, I have 2 questions.

1) I live in a dorm, so how do I effectively combat my hard water?
2) I used a regular conditioner (HH) to leave in my hair and it left all of these white particles in my head, any idea why?
D-Lish
D-Lish

Back to top Go down

Post by *CurlyNikki* 6th November 2009, 7:25 pm

D-Lish:

1. You can either get a swimmers or clarifying (to use occasionally**), or use jugs of filtered or purified water to wash/condition/detangle. Sounds daunting, doesn't it? I've tried, it and it's tough. Are you sure you have hard water problems, or are you assuming due to dryness/damage, etc.?
2. Did you use anything else in combination with it (gels, other leave-in or styler)?? Do you have build-up?
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by *CurlyNikki* 6th November 2009, 7:28 pm

Shayladu, I am by no means a braid/extension expert. I've never worn them. I'm going to direct you to the same link I sent loveself to:
http://www.growafrohairlong.com/braidreg.html

They have an entire routine from cleansing to deep treating prior to braiding. They also sell products specifically designed to keep the hair and scalp moisturized while braided. This isn't some random site either, I've seen people of on longhaircareforum.com get excellent results with this method.

Good luck!
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by D-Lish 6th November 2009, 7:32 pm

1) I am sure I have hard water problems. The evidence is due to all the white build up and gunk all over the showerhead and sinks in my dorm. Thanks, but I didnt get the swimmers or clarifying part (what is that?)
2) I previously co-washed with some Vo5, and then I washed it all out and put in the HH. I have no build up. Could it be the co-wash that did it?
D-Lish
D-Lish

Back to top Go down

Post by shayladu 6th November 2009, 7:42 pm

Thanks Nikki I am on there now and they have a wealth of information.

shayladu

Back to top Go down

Post by *CurlyNikki* 6th November 2009, 7:42 pm

1) Unfortunately, a harsher detergent is needed to remove the gunk that comes with hard water. It builds up on porous curly hair
quickly,
and SLS is needed---perhaps bi-weekly. You could purchase a swimmers shampoo (from Sallys) or a clarifying one (I like Suave's...its .99) You could also invest in
spring/purified gallons and use that...a pain in the butt, but better
than the water you have at school.

2) I've left in many conditioners in my day and never had white build-up unless I was using another product in conjunction that didn't play well with the leave-in. If you have hard water and you've been co-washing solely (not pooing),then you may have build-up. This would cause the white cast. I believe that you need to clarify...follow-up with a moisturizing DT, and try again. If it still leaves a white film, maybe HEHH is not the leave-in for you. Every head is different! My hair drinks the stuff up!

hth!
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next