CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ask CurlyNikki

+74
Nali1987
KeAnia
Sebastain13
nappylicious1991
shugashawn
kinkycurlyhair
CurlyGirly213
yascad
Hurricane Curly
MicaiahTy
cnr20
curlytee
KeyshDiiva
Princeszfefe
deeply_rooted_chick
sydnilux
Jade013
marbar1908
CurlyChick
PearlsNCurls
NaturalNixon
vianne
ChrsLvsBks
NhappyJackie
Mrs. Hudson
MissCurly
Russianjoy
Flyychik23
Veela
BajanPrincess82
tsa919
cococurly
Lynnieluve
vonda4b
MNHair
maxx923
Ellagirl
Notthecoolmom
LOVELYREAN
tiashaunteƩ
Kea::curls
curleetricee
curly+kinky+fierce
PunkinPie
CurlyMix
NubieNatty
curlyamazon
Leila
O'soLuscious Fro
curlyq145
sweetdrk1
AfrikanLatina
MrsLambsWool
Hollis
FemmeNaturale
desma natural in combat
nmoultry
Marche'
TerraD
D-Lish
shayladu
d.denise
loveself247
Libra0808
Enchantment
StealMyHeartLovee
krenea
Intelligentbeauty
NappyJer19
WarriorPrincess
natural83
BlondeByDesire
Mrs.ATLien
*CurlyNikki*
78 posters

Page 10 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Ask CurlyNikki - Page 10 Empty Re: Ask CurlyNikki

Post by *CurlyNikki* 8th February 2010, 4:27 pm

Jackiej, your daughter's hair is stunning!! Great job! You should post this under NikG's thread!
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

http://www.curlynikki.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NhappyJackie 8th February 2010, 4:30 pm

*CurlyNikki* wrote:Jackiej, your daughter's hair is stunning!! Great job! You should post this under NikG's thread!
Nikki.,....Girrlll....I thought I was posting this for NikG. That's what happens when you click before you look. Thanks,
NhappyJackie
NhappyJackie

http://members.fotki.com/jackiejones205/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by *CurlyNikki* 8th February 2010, 8:19 pm

lol, no worries Smile I do it all the time!
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 9th February 2010, 3:32 am

@JackieF205, your daughter is a cutie and has a beautiful head of hair. You did a wonderful job!
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by vianne 11th February 2010, 1:25 pm

Hello all I'm new to CN and have enjoyed all the advice! I've been natural (no relaxer) for four years, my avatar pic is from graduation this year. Since going natural I have continued to straighten my hair using flat irons mostly because I didn't know what to do with my hair in its natural state. For the past three years I lived in Atlanta and went to salon that specialized in natural hair. I got my hair straightened there about once every three months. And straightened myself at home about once a month. However more recently (past 6 months) I've worn it in its natural state only straightening it 2 times (for interviews, still concerned about shocking people while on the job hunt).
I just purchased a lot of the suggested products. I've been using HE conditioners and LOVING them. I've done the twist-n-curl and twist out with varying results. But its never been nice enough (frizz-free) for me to wear without pulling in a side pony or placing in a clamp. Although this style (the side clamp twist-n-curl) looked great for my bday in January I need HELP.
I'm going to try henna, I just ordered it. I'm pretty scared about the color. Red does not go well with my very red brown skin and as you can see from my avatar my hair is nearly jet black so I'm hoping the darkness of my hair keeps it from getting too red. I hope the henna helps with the frizz.
Any other suggestions that you guys have to help with my transition from the heat and better styling options will help.
I will post pics of my henna hair process once I get the products in the mail.
vianne
vianne

Back to top Go down

Post by vianne 11th February 2010, 1:31 pm

Oh I forgot one question CN I've gone to ulta.com to try and purchase DevaCare One Conditioner and I can't find it. Do you know if they still sell it on the website? If so can you help me out I've never purchased anything from their website before.

Thanks
vianne
vianne

Back to top Go down

Post by Hollis 11th February 2010, 2:09 pm

@ vianne I have very dark hair and the henna barely shows in my hair. I have very slight highlights in the sun. The henna did make my hair a little smoother and loosened my curl pattern. I could not find the devacare online either so I went to the closest ulta and found it.
Hollis
Hollis

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturalNixon 11th February 2010, 3:56 pm

Just wanted to say HEYYYY NIK!! Miss ya!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
NaturalNixon
NaturalNixon

Back to top Go down

Post by *CurlyNikki* 12th February 2010, 10:54 am

Hey NaturalNixon Very Happy I know... sorry for being MIA

You can buy Deva from www.curlmart.com. Shipping is a beast, but they usually have it in stock. It sucks that your Ulta doesn't have it... Deva is the only specialty brand I can get on the ground.

As Hollis said, your hair is dark, you probably don't have much to worry about. In the sun, you'll see hints of red, but in doors your hair will be a richer, shinier black. You also have the option to explore indigo if you can't handle the subtle red highlights.

To transition away from heat I suggest setting your hair (rollers, twists, braids,etc.)-- you'll manipulate less (only having to style once or twice a week), it'll give you a chance to become acquainted with your curls, and you'll enjoy less shrinkage. Lots and lots of DTs will keep your strands moisturized and happy.

hth!
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PearlsNCurls 12th February 2010, 2:14 pm

Hi Nikki, I posted this in the Ask Boston Maria thread, but just realized that she hasn't responded to anyone since December. I thought maybe you could help me out.

I think I have 3C hair, but I'm not really sure. If it is relevant to answer my question, my hair in its wash and go state is in my avatar. And here is another:

[url=http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/#]Enlarge this image
Reduce this image
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/url]

Here's my question: I recently watched your Twist and Curl how to video. I then did my own...or so I thought. It turned out okay, but not at all as I was expecting. It's nowhere near as pretty as yours or any of the ladies in the forum. I was wondering if you had any idea what I was doing wrong or if you had any tips. The after photos of my twist and curl are below. I twisted it as you do in the video (about 20 twists, with alligator clips at the root) and set the ends on 1.25" rollers; I knowyou use 1", but I used what I had. I then left the twists and rollers in from Tues. night until Thurs. morning (I was snowed in), so my hair did have time to fully dry.

Perhpas it was the product I used. After deep conditioning and rising it out, I put in some Carol's Daughter Hari Milk and then used some Motion's wrapping lotion as the setting agent --I have used this previously to set/wrap my hair (I wanted to use it up) and then a shea butter moisturizer/leave in to "seal my ends" (in your words). Do you think the products are the issue?

Also, I once tried to two strand twist my hair using Curly Pudding and that ended miserably -- much worse than this, but I think that my twists were far too small that time.

Reduce this image

Reduce this image

PearlsNCurls
PearlsNCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by *CurlyNikki* 12th February 2010, 3:20 pm

you and your hair are too cute! if your hair is anything like mine, it doesn't like to be set for more than a night... whenever I leave my twists in for a day or more, I get frizzy, flat, lifeless results. I have no idea why, but it happens every time. I HAVE to take my hair down in 12 hours or else. Maybe that's the problem?

Also oily products (like carols hair milk) break apart my curls and create frizz. Maybe try a diff conditioner/moisturizer without the setting lotion and see where that gets you. Unfortunately, it's all about trial and error... it took me many tries to perfect it, and it's still not right every time Wink Good luck!!
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PearlsNCurls 12th February 2010, 3:52 pm

Thank you Nikki! That is very helpful. I ordered the DevaCurl nopoo and conditioner in the travel sizes from Amazon.com and they will arrive soon (if they work well for me I will get the regular sizes). I will try it again with those products, only leaving the twists in one night and report back.

Thank you again!

Last edited by PearlsNCurls on 12th February 2010, 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarity)
PearlsNCurls
PearlsNCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by *CurlyNikki* 12th February 2010, 3:54 pm

no prob! keep us posted Very Happy
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by vianne 17th February 2010, 11:13 am

Thanks CN! I'm boiling the purified water for my green tea as we speak. I'll be following your step-by-step guide on the site and will post pics soon...
vianne
vianne

Back to top Go down

Ask CurlyNikki - Page 10 Empty Henna Treatment

Post by vianne 17th February 2010, 2:04 pm

Ok so it took FOREVER to figure out how to get the pics on here but this is my progress so far. I finished up around 10. I'm going to let it sit on my head all day. Do you think I should sit under a hooded dryer at any point? I'll send after pictures as well.

I started with the HE conditioner wash used about 150 grams of henna, green tea, honey mixture.

You can't tell from the picture but my hair is really frizzy in its natural state even after conditioners and deep conditioners so I hope the henna helps it out some.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
vianne
vianne

Back to top Go down

Post by *CurlyNikki* 18th February 2010, 3:35 pm

awesomeness!!! you have gorgeous hair Smile I'm sure the henna will treat you nicely Smile
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by vianne 19th February 2010, 1:41 pm

here are my after pics. I did a twist out and the last two pics are of the 2 day old twist out. I should have used rollers on the ends Sad...lesson learned! Still waiting on my shea buttter I think that would have helped it stay a little better.

But my hair feels completely different much healthier I wanted to henna again as soon as I was finished. Can't wait until next month to see the results.

vianne
vianne

Back to top Go down

Post by *CurlyNikki* 22nd February 2010, 5:17 pm

you have gorgeous hair!
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

Back to top Go down

Ask CurlyNikki - Page 10 Empty Maintaining Curls?

Post by CurlyChick 22nd February 2010, 8:01 pm

Hi Nikki,

I'm a newbie to your site and love it. So glad to see you are taking questions. My main problem is maintaining my curl definition. Within a few days my twist which I do wet are a complete frizzy mess. Please help? I do not know what i am doing wrong. No matter what products I use I seem to get the same results. I separate my twist with a raw shea butter oil very carefully. It takes me about 30-40 minutes to separate 15 or so twist. My hair is fine so I do this for fullness. I sleep in a satin bonnet and I have tried re-twisting every other day and sleeping with my hair loose under the bonnet, same results; frizz. Washing and starting all over every few days is just too time consuming. I am going to up load three pictures for you to see the decline of my hair from day 1-4.

[url=https://servimg.com/image_preview.php?
i=8&u=14907987][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/url]

I was trying to add three photos but having problems. First picture is my hair at 4 days. The first picture is like my avatar at one day.

Thank you in advance for you help,

CC
CurlyChick
CurlyChick

http://www.chichichick.artfire.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyChick 22nd February 2010, 8:08 pm

One more thing, the only reason I have any curls at all in the day four picture is because the front was so bad i spritz it with some Deva Curl Set it free and twisted it for an hour or so until it dried! Sad
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] This is day 2 you can see the frizz starting in the top. I re-twisted the night before from day1 hair (stripe shirt photo). It's always down hill from here!
CurlyChick
CurlyChick

http://www.chichichick.artfire.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Hudson 28th February 2010, 4:15 pm

Thank you CurlyNikki. I will give it a try and see what happens...I think I may try it next week. I have to find it first.
Mrs. Hudson
Mrs. Hudson

Back to top Go down

Post by MNHair 3rd March 2010, 3:42 pm

Nikki, I just wanted to share some information with you and all those who love DevaCare One. Ricky's online beauty supply (http://rickys-nyc.com/) currently has a special on the 32 oz. DevaCare One conditioner for $35.99 and you also receive a free No Poo or Lo Poo. If you enter the code FREEME, shipping is free for orders of $20 or more. Enjoy! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
MNHair
MNHair

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Hudson 5th March 2010, 11:21 pm

Hi CurlyNikki! First of all I would like to congratulate you on your pregnancy and your babymoon :-) You will be missed but I am sure you deserve a vacation. Secondly, I was wondering what the advantage of doing a BC would be? I have been natural for a yr as of Feb 8th but I just stopped flat ironing as of January 1st. I never did the BC I just gradually got my relaxer cut out and now I believe it's all out. Will or should I still do a BC and what would the benefits be? Thanks in advance for your advice...
Mrs. Hudson
Mrs. Hudson

Back to top Go down

Post by marbar1908 6th March 2010, 4:00 am

whew i've been on a roll. but is the link about the henna how to under this thread or on actually curlynikki.com?

thanks a buches... confused
marbar1908
marbar1908

http://perilsofmylife.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jade013 7th March 2010, 7:30 pm

Hello Nikki, Is possible to henna too often?
Jade013
Jade013

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next