CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's So Bad About Petroleum/Mineral Oil?

+18
molove87
misskris
naturallynola
creolebeauty1
C.
Kea::curls
jeanlouisangel
KinkyNappyHappy
LaToya28
thetiffany
CurlyChefRobin
fanmnatirel
cluelesscurl
tiashaunteƩ
Apearl
LilMsPuddles
Curly Film Chick
.:Eden:.
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What's So Bad About Petroleum/Mineral Oil? Empty What's So Bad About Petroleum/Mineral Oil?

Post by .:Eden:. 9th December 2009, 4:51 am

Something to think about...

"Mineral Oil. Clear, odorless oil derived from petroleum that is widely used in cosmetics because it [color:fd46="Red"]rarely causes allergic reactions and it [color:fd46="red"]cannot become a solid and clog pores. Despite mineral oil’s association with petroleum and the hype that it is bad for skin, keep in mind that [color:fd46="red"]petroleum is a natural ingredient derived from the earth and that once it becomes mineral oil USP (cosmetics- and pharmaceutical-grade mineral oil), it has no resemblance to the original petroleum. Cosmetics-grade mineral oil and petrolatum are [color:fd46="red"]considered the safest, most nonirritating moisturizing ingredients ever found (Sources: Cosmetics & Toiletries, January 2001, page 79; and Cosmetic Dermatology, September 2000, pages 44–46). Yes, they can keep air off the skin to some extent, but that’s what a good antioxidant is supposed to do; [color:fd46="red"]they don’t suffocate skin! Moreover, mineral oil and petrolatum are [color:fd46="red"]known to be efficacious in wound healing, and are also among the most effective moisturizing ingredients available (Source: Cosmetics & Toiletries, February 1998, pages 33–40)."

"Petrolatum. Vaseline is pure petrolatum. For some unknown and unsubstantiated reason, petrolatum has attained a negative image in regard to skin care, despite solid research to the contrary. Topical application of [color:fd46="red"]petrolatum can help the skin’s outer layer recover from damage, reduce inflammation, and generally heal the skin (Source: Acta Dermato-Venereologica, November–December 2000, pages 412–415). See also mineral oil."

Information taken from http://www.cosmeticscop.com a cosmetic research database.

Now I'm not saying you should buy stock in petrolatum/mineral oil, because I still steer clear of it myself. I just thought this was pretty interesting. Makes you wonder about the days your mother used to use products like Blue Magic in your hair. Thoughts??

http://members.fotki.com/jhippolyte/about

Back to top Go down

What's So Bad About Petroleum/Mineral Oil? Empty Re: What's So Bad About Petroleum/Mineral Oil?

Post by Curly Film Chick 9th December 2009, 12:59 pm

I think this has something to do with the Curly Girl Method of caring for the hair. CG don't want hair to be coated with anything. Mineral Oil and Petrol can coat the hair, just like silicones. I recently did a post about it on my blog, because I do know that mineral oil and petrol are widely used, but it means almost death to Naturals lol. But when I personally have used products with mineral oil and petrol it has made my hair greasy and gross. The coating it too much for me. So I avoid it.
Curly Film Chick
Curly Film Chick

http://www.quirkycurlyfilmchick.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

What's So Bad About Petroleum/Mineral Oil? Empty Re: What's So Bad About Petroleum/Mineral Oil?

Post by LilMsPuddles 9th December 2009, 1:47 pm

Two words: PORE CLOGGING!
When the pore are clogged the body becomes dysfunctional because it can't release what it needs to when it needs to. That is why people often make the comparison between a scalp and a garden. The scalp need to be free of debris to grow hair properly and to it's full potential like soil needs to be free of debris to so that a plants root aren't stifled or chocked out.

The things you have posted are from 11 years ago current science has now proven otherwise...

From my own personal standpoint those thing don't work but to make my skin shiny, oily and break out and my hair heavy, weighed down greasy

Last edited by LilMsPuddles on 9th December 2009, 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : addendum)
LilMsPuddles
LilMsPuddles

http://twitter.com/Ms_Puddles

Back to top Go down

Post by Apearl 9th December 2009, 3:11 pm

I work in the spa industry, for a company that mainly uses and sales natural products. None of the products we sale have mineral oil because it's not a "good" product for your body. I actually went to a product training yesterday and Mineral oil was BIG part of our discussion. I personally steer away from ANYTHING, even stuff other that hair products, that has MO because of what I've learned about it. One of the reason's companies choose to use MO is because it's cheap and does not spoil. Things I've learned through my job training and my own research:

Mineral oil acts as a thin layer on the skin. Mineral oil is not absorbed into your skin because the molecules are too large. it just sits on top of your skin and clogs your pores, which doesn't allow your skin to absorb water (moisture) which slows the skins ability to eliminate toxins. Even after washing your face a the layer is still there in some form! Remember, the skin in the body's largest organ and plays an important role in maintaining overall health!

Mineral oil is clear, liquid oil with no scent and will not spoil. It is produced as a byproduct of the distillation of gasoline from crude oil, the same stuff they make gasoline from. Mineral oil is leftover liquid, and because it is abundant, it is very inexpensive. It is CHEAPER for manufacturers to purchase these byproducts as a filler than it is for the industry to dispose of it.In fact, it is more expensive to dispose of mineral oil, than to purchase it.

Painters use MO to on their brushes and used to clean tools because it whitens and releases grease.

Sorry if that was too much info!
Apearl
Apearl

http://public.fotki.com/ApearlC/

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly Film Chick 9th December 2009, 3:13 pm

Apearl wrote:I work in the spa industry, for a company that mainly uses and sales natural products. None of the products we sale have mineral oil because it's not a "good" product for your body. I actually went to a product training yesterday and Mineral oil was BIG part of our discussion. I personally steer away from ANYTHING, even stuff other that hair products, that has MO because of what I've learned about it. One of the reason's companies choose to use MO is because it's cheap and does not spoil. Things I've learned through my job training and my own research:

Mineral oil acts as a thin layer on the skin. Mineral oil is not absorbed into your skin because the molecules are too large. it just sits on top of your skin and clogs your pores, which doesn't allow your skin to absorb water (moisture) which slows the skins ability to eliminate toxins. Even after washing your face a the layer is still there in some form! Remember, the skin in the body's largest organ and plays an important role in maintaining overall health!

Mineral oil is clear, liquid oil with no scent and will not spoil. It is produced as a byproduct of the distillation of gasoline from crude oil, the same stuff they make gasoline from. Mineral oil is leftover liquid, and because it is abundant, it is very inexpensive. It is CHEAPER for manufacturers to purchase these byproducts as a filler than it is for the industry to dispose of it.In fact, it is more expensive to dispose of mineral oil, than to purchase it.

Painters use MO to on their brushes and used to clean tools because it whitens and releases grease.

Makes sense why i felt like those products literally "sat" on my hair. Greasy shine is all I got.
Curly Film Chick
Curly Film Chick

http://www.quirkycurlyfilmchick.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Apearl 9th December 2009, 3:22 pm

Curly Film Chick wrote:Makes sense why i felt like those products literally "sat" on my hair. Greasy shine is all I got.

Yup! I notice that feeling with hair products with Mineral oil in them too! It's sad to see how much stuff has MO in it!
Apearl
Apearl

http://public.fotki.com/ApearlC/

Back to top Go down

Post by LilMsPuddles 9th December 2009, 3:25 pm

Apearl wrote:I work in the spa industry, for a company that mainly uses and sales natural products. None of the products we sale have mineral oil because it's not a "good" product for your body. I actually went to a product training yesterday and Mineral oil was BIG part of our discussion. I personally steer away from ANYTHING, even stuff other that hair products, that has MO because of what I've learned about it. One of the reason's companies choose to use MO is because it's cheap and does not spoil. Things I've learned through my job training and my own research:

You taught me something new! My dad is a carpenter and I never knew about that use for mineral oil. I also could never figure out where is came from, now knowing that makes MO seem all the more disturbing.
LilMsPuddles
LilMsPuddles

http://twitter.com/Ms_Puddles

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteĆ© 9th December 2009, 4:17 pm

I was actually reading about Petroleum and Mineral earlier this week. I decided that once all the products in my house are used up I am going to try not to purchase anything else with those to ingredients at the very top. That includes lotions and baby oil.

This is what I found:
Mineral Oil — A petroleum derivative that is found in many moisturizers and causes severe allergic reactions. Mineral oil is a derivative of crude oil (petroleum) that is used industrially as a cutting fluid and lubricating oil. This commonly used petroleum ingredient coats the skin and hair just like plastic wrap. The skin's natural barrier is disrupted as this plastic coating inhibits its ability to breathe and absorb the Natural Moisture Factor (moisture and nutrition). The skin's ability to release toxins and wastes is impossible through this "plastic wrap," which can promote acne and other disorders. It further hinders normal skin respiration/transpiration by keeping oxygen out. This process slows down skin function and normal cell development causing the skin to prematurely age. Holding in large a mounts of moisture in the skin can "flood" the biology and may result in immature, unhealthy, sensitive skin that dries out easily. Using this is like putting a seal over your skin, or wrapping it in plastic cling film. Think on this one….we put it all over our babies! (Baby Oil is 100% mineral oil)

Petrolatum — This is a very cheap jelly made from mineral oil that causes such skin problems as photosensitivity and interference with the body's own natural moisturizing mechanism, which leads to dry skin and chapping. Oddly enough, this product often creates the very conditions it claims to alleviate! A petroleum-based grease that is used industrially as a grease component. Petrolatum exhibits many of the same potentially harmful properties as mineral oil.

I have those along with some other ingredients posted here: http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/2009/12/ingredients-to-avoid-and-why.html
tiashaunteƩ
tiashaunteƩ

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by cluelesscurl 22nd October 2010, 3:30 pm

I just had to bump this. I know alot of newbies will appreciate this thread.

cluelesscurl

Back to top Go down

Post by fanmnatirel 22nd October 2010, 5:01 pm

Very interesting... I haven't used product with MO or Petrolatum in the past year but I appreciate this information ladies....
fanmnatirel
fanmnatirel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 22nd October 2010, 8:52 pm

haven't really heard anything bad about petroleum or mineral oil until i came to this site; not to mention other things i've never heard of before..idk but to each his own

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyChefRobin 22nd October 2010, 9:51 pm

Excellent information!
CurlyChefRobin
CurlyChefRobin

http://www.cookingwithcareonline.com

Back to top Go down

Post by thetiffany 22nd October 2010, 10:18 pm

this is good to know information, because i havent taken the time to do my own research on these things.

i must say i use vaseline religiously, my children and I have eczema and so far this is the only thing that "soothes" our skin and keeps it from drying out. I am curious to know if there is a better product for eczema as i have tried the eucerin, aveeno and aquafor. they are all just like lotions to us.

as far as hair, i shy away from it just because it does weigh it down and kills anykind of body/movement
thetiffany
thetiffany

http://embracingmycurly.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 23rd October 2010, 10:52 am

I'm still skeptical about this because if you're going to say that mineral oil and petroleum are greasy and pore clogging then surely you have to throw shea butter and castor oil in there as well because they are just as heavy and greasy and I've personally had them produce bumps on my scalp, which means that my pores were clogged. It's just weird to me how some ingredients are ok, but some are not. Just because a product is natural does not mean that it won't cause allergic reactions or have other negative effects on your hair/skin.

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 12th November 2010, 4:25 pm

LaToya28 wrote:I'm still skeptical about this because if you're going to say that mineral oil and petroleum are greasy and pore clogging then surely you have to throw shea butter and castor oil in there as well because they are just as heavy and greasy and I've personally had them produce bumps on my scalp, which means that my pores were clogged. It's just weird to me how some ingredients are ok, but some are not. Just because a product is natural does not mean that it won't cause allergic reactions or have other negative effects on your hair/skin.

You know I noticed that I would get bumps on my scalp (mainly in the back) when I used castor oil. WOW...I wonder if?

Anyway..you are right about a product being all natural doesn't mean that it won't cause allergic reactions. I don't know, but I was natural in hair school, my mom pressed the messy out of my curls with heavy grease and my hair grew like crazy. It was the longest it had every been in my life. Now that is the strangest thing!!
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanlouisangel 12th November 2010, 4:44 pm

Hi Naturals. I am going to agree with Apearl. I did a study on mineral oil two years ago. And found that it is quite dangerous, even beyond what is mentioned here. Also Latoya I can understand your concerns with the similarities of shea and that "mineral oil feel" but just wanted to point out, with water shea is absorbed in skin. The castor oil even though thick is definitely absorbed but I wanted to concentrate on the fats and fat like substances that are natural that we use in our hair. Mineral oil is crude, and does not absorb and causes alot of problems while it sits. It is quite toxic, and causes toxic conditions where shea and other stuff will not. But I too, have had that feeling like shea and other things just sit on my hair or on my skin..so it isnt in your head. But rightly used (with water) it will do wonders. Unless like Renny your hair does not like shea at all....Blessings Smile
jeanlouisangel
jeanlouisangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Kea::curls 12th November 2010, 4:49 pm

thetiffany wrote:

i must say i use vaseline religiously, my children and I have eczema and so far this is the only thing that "soothes" our skin and keeps it from drying out. I am curious to know if there is a better product for eczema as i have tried the eucerin, aveeno and aquafor. they are all just like lotions to us.

Eczema runs in my boyfriend's family and they use shea butter like its going outta style Razz This is personally the only experience i've had with it though in that way...but seems to work for him really well.

http://public.fotki.com/KeaCurls/

Back to top Go down

Post by C. 12th November 2010, 6:07 pm

thetiffany wrote:this is good to know information, because i havent taken the time to do my own research on these things.

as far as hair, i shy away from it just because it does weigh it down and kills anykind of body/movement

my nieces also have eczema and the doctors at johns hopkins told my sister to put vaseline on their as soon as they got out of the bath--no towel drying. after putting vaseline on their wet body to gently blot their skin with a towel. it helped too, the oldest now has hardly any flares. and you're right about the lotions (eucerin and such) they didnt do a thing for their skin although the pediatrician recommended it

as for my hair, i do not like petroleum or mineral oil based products, it makes my scalp feel as if it can't breath, then it itches, then i scratch and get a sore scalp. It also does nothing after the first initial application to my hair. If reapplied it just builds up

C.

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 12th November 2010, 6:36 pm

When I was perming my hair i use to perm and grease my scalp and child i had dry scalp the itch and dandruff no matter how much grease i used well since my transition and i learned to use water than oil to seal my scalp is healthy sometimes even shiny lol ...
I think Petroleum /mineral oil are used in all hair grease because it's so cheap but all though that product may have other great ingredients the grease is too rough to penetrate it siits on our hair and dry the scalp , than the hair than leads to breakage im staying AWAY lol
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 12th November 2010, 9:15 pm

That was great JeanLouis. Many don't know the points you just made and there is so much conflicting information like petrobased products for people with eczema. So, naturally the public is confused. I see it all the time at the hospital and clinics. I have eczema myself. Oil is very soothing and it doesn't really seem to matter which one. All we know is we are getting some relief. Sometimes, I put loads of coconut oil on my legs because the oil is soothing. So, for everyone who is also an eczema sufferer or knows someone who is, start doing your research about neem and some of the other ayurvedic oils--safe.

Its great to get updated information but there is a Russian Roulete game going on. Its like people who smoke, some will get lung cancer and some won't.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanlouisangel 12th November 2010, 9:34 pm

Yes naturalnolagirl. It is sometimes some properties of a bad thing that will make it appear not bad. But I agree that we have to try our best to use the safest things possible in hair and on skin..Thanks so much!!!!
jeanlouisangel
jeanlouisangel

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 16th November 2010, 1:09 pm

It's interesting to see all the info on MO which I had already known. But what I DON'T get is why do all these products I have seen listed as good to use on this site have MO in it??? And I also noticed that a lot (if not all) the conditioners I looked at last night in the store had alcohol in it. And these were also products that were listed in CN as good to use. Isn't that supposed to be super drying for hair, especially curly hair??? So I don't get it. What are you supposed to use if most of these products have MO and alcohol in it? I like Coconut oil because it's light and not greasy but what else is there? Other than the other natural 100% oils like EVOO.
misskris
misskris

http://www.earthdust.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 16th November 2010, 1:12 pm

maladud,
Alcohols like cetyl, stearyl, etc are fatty alcohols which are good for the hair. It's the SD alcohol that you want to watch out for. It's usually found in hair sprays. Using products that contain MO is a personal choice. Many of us choose not to use them, but many of us still do.

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 16th November 2010, 2:03 pm

Thanks LaToya. But what is SD alcohol and how is it labeled on product? I never knew there was such a thing as Fatty alcohols. Surprised)
misskris
misskris

http://www.earthdust.com

Back to top Go down

Post by molove87 16th November 2010, 2:09 pm

This thread was very informative!! I've learned a lot more about MO. thanks for sharing ladies!
molove87
molove87

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next