CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Protective Style or not?

+3
Sebastain13
naturallynola
NaturallyBriaful
7 posters

Go down

Protective Style or not? Empty Protective Style or not?

Post by NaturallyBriaful 4th February 2011, 11:20 pm

Can someone explain the importance of "protective styles" to me? Cause im back and forth on what to do with my hair. Sad
NaturallyBriaful
NaturallyBriaful

Back to top Go down

Protective Style or not? Empty Re: Protective Style or not?

Post by naturallynola 5th February 2011, 2:20 am

Whether protective styles are important or not is subjective . For example, if a person lives in a brutally cold climate, is experiencing damage, breakage, dryness, etc., protective styling might be an important intervention because it allows for minimal manipulation, which gives the hair time to recover and it gives the ends(oldest part of the hair) a break from being exposed. IMO, there is a psychological component where the person gives the hair more attention such as spritzing and more TLC when protective styling.

Someone not experiencing the above problems would not see protective styles as important. The needs of the hair should govern whether protective styling is a necessity.
Protective styling could be useful for retention purposes due to minimal manipulation in the event of the above-mentioned damages. But know, protective styling is not a necessity for length retention. Here is a quote from the blogger/You Tuber Nicole Crowe a/k/a moptopmaven and taken from: http://moptopmaven.blogspot.com/2010/12/healthy-hair-in-2011-challenege-session.html

""Many people ask my thoughts on "protective styling" versus wearing your hair out. I have done both, and from personal experience have retained the same amount of length doing it either way. The key to retaining length for me has been moisturizing, careful detangling, and alleviating stress placed on my follicles.

An added benefit, You can also look at protective styles as simply more style options. Lynnie and Chrslvsbks are protective style masters. You might want to visit their curl street journals and hopefully, they will see your post and chime in.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Sebastain13 5th February 2011, 6:02 pm

I only have about 31/2 -4 in of hair and I really dont do alot of protective styling I will leave it twisted if I am not going anywhere I really dont see any difference in my hair with lenght
Sebastain13
Sebastain13

http://<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 5th February 2011, 10:39 pm

Protective styling helped me get past shoulder length hair. For years I was stuck at that length due to breakage from the friction between my hair and clothes.
Its not necessary but I found it beneficial.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 5th February 2011, 10:52 pm

I believe protective styling has been beneficial to my length retention. I wear protective styles 90-95% of the times. Protective styles help retain moisture in my hair and they are convenient for me. I style my hair once a week. I don't have to worry about styling again until the weekend when I decide to wear my twist out.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlaAR 5th February 2011, 11:34 pm

Its not just cold weather that protective styling can be beneficial for, its good for hot weather too. Dryness and mild damage from the sun (in hot weather) is real. I wear buns, hats (protect my hair under), scarves, etc to protect my hair. It may be more critical the longer your hair gets...
CarlaAR
CarlaAR

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturallyBriaful 6th February 2011, 7:04 pm

Lynnieluve wrote:I believe protective styling has been beneficial to my length retention. I wear protective styles 90-95% of the times. Protective styles help retain moisture in my hair and they are convenient for me. I style my hair once a week. I don't have to worry about styling again until the weekend when I decide to wear my twist out.

How do you make your styles last the whole week? Whats your bed-time routine?
NaturallyBriaful
NaturallyBriaful

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturallyBriaful 7th February 2011, 11:55 am

naturallynola wrote:Whether protective styles are important or not is subjective . For example, if a person lives in a brutally cold climate, is experiencing damage, breakage, dryness, etc., protective styling might be an important intervention because it allows for minimal manipulation, which gives the hair time to recover and it gives the ends(oldest part of the hair) a break from being exposed. IMO, there is a psychological component where the person gives the hair more attention such as spritzing and more TLC when protective styling.

Someone not experiencing the above problems would not see protective styles as important. The needs of the hair should govern whether protective styling is a necessity.
Protective styling could be useful for retention purposes due to minimal manipulation in the event of the above-mentioned damages. But know, protective styling is not a necessity for length retention. Here is a quote from the blogger/You Tuber Nicole Crowe a/k/a moptopmaven and taken from: http://moptopmaven.blogspot.com/2010/12/healthy-hair-in-2011-challenege-session.html

""Many people ask my thoughts on "protective styling" versus wearing your hair out. I have done both, and from personal experience have retained the same amount of length doing it either way. The key to retaining length for me has been moisturizing, careful detangling, and alleviating stress placed on my follicles.

An added benefit, You can also look at protective styles as simply more style options. Lynnie and Chrslvsbks are protective style masters. You might want to visit their curl street journals and hopefully, they will see your post and chime in.

Ty, how do i locate thier "curl street journals"?
NaturallyBriaful
NaturallyBriaful

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturallyEJ 22nd February 2011, 5:08 pm

who is on youtube??? I have finally done my first natural hair video. Just an intro for now, check it out at https://www.youtube.com/user/EJHALO flower
NaturallyEJ
NaturallyEJ

http://naturallyej.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 22nd February 2011, 5:33 pm

NaturallyBriaful wrote:
Lynnieluve wrote:I believe protective styling has been beneficial to my length retention. I wear protective styles 90-95% of the times. Protective styles help retain moisture in my hair and they are convenient for me. I style my hair once a week. I don't have to worry about styling again until the weekend when I decide to wear my twist out.

How do you make your styles last the whole week? Whats your bed-time routine?

I wear two strand twist M-F and on the weekend, I wear a twist out.

My bedtime routine is to put on my scarf to tie down the twist and my bonnet on top of my scarf as "back up" I moisturize when needed.

A link to my Curl Street Journal is in my signature.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down