CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dry Hair /Which winter hair products are best?

4 posters

Go down

Dry Hair /Which winter hair products are best? Empty Dry Hair /Which winter hair products are best?

Post by Chelnmike816 26th January 2011, 1:40 pm

Hello Ladies

I'm so frustrated with my hair because my hair has been so dry and all my products i have are not working for me.I used to use the shew moisture smoothie for my wash and go and thanks to you ladies on a different topic you've helped me to find out that my hair got protein overload from how much i was using and how often.I just did a wash and go yesterday with Palmer's Coconut oil hair milk and my hair is so dry although my curls look good.On top of all this dryness my stupid self had the urge to color my hair so now my hair is really dry. Do you guys have any recommendations of hair products that i could use.I would like to purchase in person so any stores like Target,whole foods,walmart and sallys.

Please help I don't know what to get
Thanks

Chelnmike816

Back to top Go down

Dry Hair /Which winter hair products are best? Empty Re: Dry Hair /Which winter hair products are best?

Post by ChrsLvsBks 26th January 2011, 2:18 pm

I highly suggest Giovanni's 50-50 Moisture conditioner. You may add honey to it or another humectant like molasses, glycerin or agave nectar. I highly suggest you do this at least once a week for a couple of weeks. If you can, apply the conditioner and seal it with an oil (EVCO, avocado, etc. whatever kind your hair prefers). You may also try the bagging method a night or two. This involves spritzing hair with water then applying conditioner/moisturizing and sealing then placing a plastic cap/bag over head to sleep in. Remove in the morning and refresh as needed. HTH
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Dry Hair /Which winter hair products are best? Empty Re: Dry Hair /Which winter hair products are best?

Post by Chelnmike816 26th January 2011, 2:21 pm

ChrsLvsBks wrote:I highly suggest Giovanni's 50-50 Moisture conditioner. You may add honey to it or another humectant like molasses, glycerin or agave nectar. I highly suggest you do this at least once a week for a couple of weeks. If you can, apply the conditioner and seal it with an oil (EVCO, avocado, etc. whatever kind your hair prefers). You may also try the bagging method a night or two. This involves spritzing hair with water then applying conditioner/moisturizing and sealing then placing a plastic cap/bag over head to sleep in. Remove in the morning and refresh as needed. HTH

Are you saying do this as a deep condition or styler?
Another thing since i was having a problem with the shea smoothie one lady told me my hair probably didn't like either the protein or glycerin. What do you think about that? Should i stay away from those 2 ingredients?Really need a styler i wear a wash and go everyday

Chelnmike816

Back to top Go down

Post by mizcreativelyme 26th January 2011, 3:20 pm

Shampoo
Giovanni smooth as silk - i must dilute shampoo w/water 50/50 to avoid dry hair
sold at Target, Wal-Mart, Ross, Marshalls, Ulta, Vitamin Shoppe

ayurvedic shampoo bar - hands down the best non-drying/ moisturizing shampoo i've tried and will re-purchase. but can only be purchased online
http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/shambar.htm

Conditioner
giovanni smooth as silk conditioner
sold at Target, Wal-Mart, Ross, Marshalls, Ulta, Vitamin Shoppe

suave almond & shea butter conditioner <------- great for wash n go's
sold at Wal-mart, Target

Leave-in/daily spritzer
infusium 23 leave-in moisture replenisher works well as a daily spritz
sold at sally's or maybe your local beauty supply store will carry

Leave-in Conditioning Cream
qhemet biologics - burdock root butter cream - sold only in select stores/few cities, i ordered online
http://www.qhemetbiologics.com

hey chica. don't fret, your 'natural' friends are here to help cheers
now that you've colored your hair, gotta take extra special care. you're doing the right thing by reaching out to find proper moisturizing products. not sure what your hair texture/type is [for the sake of recommending products] but mine is 4a/b coily s/z-curls, fine-medium texture, densely packed, and normal porosity. all above mentioned products work well for me. check out the link below for more assistance in determining your hair's needs.

http://www.livecurlylivefree.com/curly%20hair%20basics.htm
mizcreativelyme
mizcreativelyme

Back to top Go down

Post by Chelnmike816 26th January 2011, 5:00 pm

Thank You soo much that is so nice. Your sweet Very Happy

My hair is 3c/4a. medium fine,shoulder length before shrinkage.

I'm trying to get one styling product,one moisture then shampoo and conditioner.

I used that suave before but never left it in. You think i should leave it in?
What do you use as a styler?

Thank you so much

Chelnmike816

Back to top Go down

Post by mizcreativelyme 26th January 2011, 5:52 pm

Chelnmike816 wrote:Thank You soo much that is so nice. Your sweet Very Happy

My hair is 3c/4a. medium fine,shoulder length before shrinkage.

I'm trying to get one styling product,one moisture then shampoo and conditioner.

I used that suave before but never left it in. You think i should leave it in?
What do you use as a styler?

Thank you so much

i can't leave condish in my hair... leads to an itchy scalp for me. not sure what it would do for your hair but i wouldn't recommend leaving condish in that's meant to be rinsed out. some folk do it with success though. co-washing alone should make the hair soft and more manageable. i've used the suave [mentioned above] for that, and it works like a charm. as for styling products, i don't use stylers much. i simply wash, condition, apply a leave-in and either tuck my hair away or twist to wear down on another day. although when i do apply something with a little hold, i'll usually mix burdock root with eco styler olive oil gel. <--- sally's

my regimen consists of the following;
poo- ayurvedic poo bar [mentioned above]
condish- giovanni smooth as silk
leave-in- spritz with infusium 23 and apply burdock root butter cream atop to seal moisture, and then i'll twist my hair OR roll it up in satin rollers
mizcreativelyme
mizcreativelyme

Back to top Go down

Post by Chelnmike816 26th January 2011, 5:54 pm

Ok Thanks

Chelnmike816

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconTress 27th January 2011, 8:37 pm

Chelnmike816 wrote:
ChrsLvsBks wrote:I highly suggest Giovanni's 50-50 Moisture conditioner. You may add honey to it or another humectant like molasses, glycerin or agave nectar. I highly suggest you do this at least once a week for a couple of weeks. If you can, apply the conditioner and seal it with an oil (EVCO, avocado, etc. whatever kind your hair prefers). You may also try the bagging method a night or two. This involves spritzing hair with water then applying conditioner/moisturizing and sealing then placing a plastic cap/bag over head to sleep in. Remove in the morning and refresh as needed. HTH

Are you saying do this as a deep condition or styler?
Another thing since i was having a problem with the shea smoothie one lady told me my hair probably didn't like either the protein or glycerin. What do you think about that? Should i stay away from those 2 ingredients?Really need a styler i wear a wash and go everyday

The use of some products containing protein and/or glycerin could contribute to dry hair if you do not have enough moisture in your hair. It is also possible that wash & go styling everyday in the winter can make it difficult to retain moisture. Also there are many types of protein, so perhpas another type may be a better match for your hair.

HTH

Last edited by FalconTress on 27th January 2011, 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added comment on protein)

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down