CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

STEP AWAY FROM THE COMB!!!

+13
Ladybird
Lysheba89
NhappyJackie
Thinice
Berry3674
TheRYL1
cagebird
Kthaler10
CarlaAR
Madeaj
LoveZaporiah
Lynnieluve
mizcreativelyme
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

STEP AWAY FROM THE COMB!!! Empty STEP AWAY FROM THE COMB!!!

Post by mizcreativelyme 24th January 2011, 2:40 pm

hey chicas! i've noticed that since i stopped using a comb, my hair is thriving and i shed less. i guess in the beginning of 'going natural' it was more of a psychological thing. i had to get over 'combing my hair' from the days of being relaxed. i don't know about you, but when i would detangle with a comb [wet w/condish], all i would hear would be *snap*crackle*pop* ... smh ... the sound of all the hair i'd be loosing from unnecessary breakage. one day, i had an epiphany Idea 'what are you doing girl? and who's hair are you trying to straighten/neatin up with that comb? put that thang down and use your fingers child!' so i began to dry detangle using oil and my fingers. i began to style, with my fingers. i began to smooth my edges, with my fingers/palm of hand. i made a vow to step away from the comb and use my fingers. although this may not work for everyone but for those that are willing to give it a try, here's is my challenge to you - i challenge you to put down the comb and within 30 days or less, i promise you that your hair will show improvement ... less shedding/breakage. get ready for your hair to thrive cheers
mizcreativelyme
mizcreativelyme

Back to top Go down

STEP AWAY FROM THE COMB!!! Empty Re: STEP AWAY FROM THE COMB!!!

Post by Lynnieluve 24th January 2011, 4:10 pm

I am so attached to my comb but I am willing to give it a try. One of my Hair Resolutions for 2011 is to use the comb less. Neutral
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by LoveZaporiah 24th January 2011, 4:32 pm

Does putting down a comb include the tangle teezer and denman brush?
LoveZaporiah
LoveZaporiah

http://lovezaporiah.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by mizcreativelyme 24th January 2011, 5:27 pm

LoveZaporiah wrote:Does putting down a comb include the tangle teezer and denman brush?

i've heard many great things about the teezer, but haven't tried it. the denman brush on the other hand, didn't fancy too well with my hair. if the teezer works better than your fingers, go for it. but for my hair, due to the springy coils, z-zags, and s-swirls, i'll only be using my fingers for a while chica.
mizcreativelyme
mizcreativelyme

Back to top Go down

Post by Madeaj 24th January 2011, 5:43 pm

@Miz, I just got finished washing and conditioning my hair and I remembered this post when reaching for my detangling comb. I put it down and loaded more conditioner on and detangled with my fingers onlly. Much better. I had been prepoo detangling with my fingers but I always used the comb/brush in the shower. I lost so much less hair this time. No snapping, I even untied some mulitstrand knots without breaking my hair. This is going to be a staple. Thanks for the idea
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 24th January 2011, 9:27 pm

My hair twin just posted a good review on the tangle teezer. I am so tempted to go get one. I'm gonna do my best to hold off and stick to the challenge. Neutral
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlaAR 24th January 2011, 11:06 pm

I'm going to try to detangle my hair with my fingers next time I wash. I'm afraid because I do have some length on my hair...
CarlaAR
CarlaAR

Back to top Go down

Post by Kthaler10 28th January 2011, 5:43 pm

I am going to try this one too! I sure do love my comb tho! Its cute Smile lol
Kthaler10
Kthaler10

http://www.kendrathaler-hair.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 1st February 2011, 5:17 pm

I am happy to report even though I purchased the tangle teezer, I didnt use it!! I washed my hair on yesterday and I didnt use my comb at all during the process.

I finger detangled on dry hair using EVOO only. Thanks for the tip Mizcreativelyme!!

I, Lynnieluve, vow not to use my comb/denman brush/tangle teezer for the month of February. Fingers only. Wish me luck!!! Very Happy
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by cagebird 1st February 2011, 5:37 pm

This is so simple, but so hard. I do want more growth and the truth is I do hear the snapping when I detangle my hair. So this Saturday when I detangle I will only use my fingers. I'm in for a month
cagebird
cagebird

http://www.darkerthanbrown.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRYL1 1st February 2011, 7:00 pm

Hey Ladies!

I gave up the comb & brush about this time last year. I can say that my hair line is slowly, but surely thanking me for it, too! I can see the diff in pics.

I do use a wide tooth comb when detangling, though! I do a pre-poo oil treatment and I detangle then. After that...I use my fingers.

So...I'm watching this challenge from the shadows! LOL

TheRYL1
TheRYL1

Back to top Go down

Post by Berry3674 1st February 2011, 7:03 pm

I love my tangle teaser but I haven't touched a comb since my last weave (September). I can go forever without a comb, but I whip out my TT every Sunday for wash day. Maybe I can let it go for a few weeks.

Honestly I think detangling is very psychological for me. 30 mins after a detangling session, nothings different anyway. So as long as my hair's not matting, I'll finger detangle for awhile.
Berry3674
Berry3674

Back to top Go down

Post by Kthaler10 3rd February 2011, 8:56 pm

I finger detangled on last Saturday and it works just fine! To my suprise it took a shorter time than detangling with the comb!! I could feel the tangles much easier. I am going to do this again this Saturday! I think I like it so far!!
Kthaler10
Kthaler10

http://www.kendrathaler-hair.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mizcreativelyme 3rd February 2011, 10:25 pm

Lynnieluve wrote:I am happy to report even though I purchased the tangle teezer, I didnt use it!! I washed my hair on yesterday and I didnt use my comb at all during the process.

I finger detangled on dry hair using EVOO only. Thanks for the tip Mizcreativelyme!!

I, Lynnieluve, vow not to use my comb/denman brush/tangle teezer for the month of February. Fingers only. Wish me luck!!! Very Happy

YAY! so glad it worked out. you can do it Lynnie!
mizcreativelyme
mizcreativelyme

Back to top Go down

Post by mizcreativelyme 3rd February 2011, 10:26 pm

Kthaler10 wrote:I finger detangled on last Saturday and it works just fine! To my suprise it took a shorter time than detangling with the comb!! I could feel the tangles much easier. I am going to do this again this Saturday! I think I like it so far!!

glad it worked for you chica!
mizcreativelyme
mizcreativelyme

Back to top Go down

Post by mizcreativelyme 3rd February 2011, 10:29 pm

Madeaj wrote:@Miz, I just got finished washing and conditioning my hair and I remembered this post when reaching for my detangling comb. I put it down and loaded more conditioner on and detangled with my fingers onlly. Much better. I had been prepoo detangling with my fingers but I always used the comb/brush in the shower. I lost so much less hair this time. No snapping, I even untied some mulitstrand knots without breaking my hair. This is going to be a staple. Thanks for the idea

way to go! let's all try to hang in there with this one. i can tell the difference in my hair and i only 'loose' what i should loose now instead of breakage AND shed hairs. the 'detangle hair ball' is less than the size of a marble now. cheers
mizcreativelyme
mizcreativelyme

Back to top Go down

Post by Thinice 5th February 2011, 11:29 pm

This is good info! I am willing to put down the comb too.
Thinice
Thinice

Back to top Go down

Post by cagebird 7th February 2011, 3:48 pm

I had to follow up with you ladies. Saturday I use my finger to detangle my hair, and it seems I need a guide on how to be gentle with my hair. In my eyes it looked like I lost the same amount of hair while detangling. This Saturday I will be on a mission the treat my hair like a "young virgin". I will take it nice and easy!
cagebird
cagebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 7th February 2011, 4:04 pm

I detangled used my fingers only again yesterday (EVOO and conditioner on dry hair) and it SUCKED! Laughing Well, let me explain. I did a poor job of removing all the shed hair so when I twisted my hair to style it, I kept finding more shed hair and I HATE WHEN THAT HAPPENS!!! Evil or Very Mad

I didn't notice a decrease in the amount of shed hair but I will continue to use my fingers only for the rest of the month.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by NhappyJackie 7th February 2011, 4:06 pm

Love this challenge. Not sure if I will join in..only because I vowed to put down the comb on New Years day and have since only used it once. Well, not put it down but use wider teeth and use it less ofter. So far, I have noticed a great amount of growth. Please believe I will checking out the success stories on this challenge.
NhappyJackie
NhappyJackie

http://members.fotki.com/jackiejones205/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lysheba89 8th February 2011, 11:26 pm

I kinda just had this epiphany myself! I go a week or two at a time co-washing everyday and rocking it out in wash-n-go fashion or loosely bunned on top of my head. or I'll go a week or two in twistouts on dry or redampened hair everyday.

My hair in twistouts keeps it stretched so that my hair doesn't knot up like it does when i wear it in wash-n-gos but the styling-combing or retwisting it takes everyday feels like too much manipulation.

My hair cowashed receives a generous amount of moisture everyday but the detangling sessions are brutal because wash-n-gos knot up like crazy.

So I just thought to myself why not give myself the moisture of a cowash but without the brutal tugging and snapping of detangling it? And if I should want to do a twist out, I can do it on only finger combed hair. It might knot up more than hair detangled with a comb, but at least I won't be snapping it off, you know?
Lysheba89
Lysheba89

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 16th February 2011, 1:20 am

Confessions of a comb addict

I used my tangle teezer last week to achieve a stretched twist out for my son's 3rd bday party. I have since but it away and I am now back on track.

Embarassed
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by cagebird 16th February 2011, 4:49 pm

Lynnieluve wrote:Confessions of a comb addict

I used my tangle teezer last week to achieve a stretched twist out for my son's 3rd bday party. I have since but it away and I am now back on track.

Embarassed
LOL!! Don't feel too bad! That Tangle Teezer thing has been getting a lot of buzz lately. Many ladies swear by it. Glad I never bought one (too addictive), and you are back on track.
cagebird
cagebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ladybird 17th February 2011, 12:51 pm

Hey all, so i have been trying really hard not to use a comb and i have to admit i am seeing less hair shedding. I usually only use a comb when i am detangeling and that is about every 2-3 weeks.

I really need to find another way to detangle without a a comb... i so love the comb to detangle, but i know that is not good.

Ladybird
Ladybird

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 18th February 2011, 7:08 pm

I washed my hair on Wednesday and and I didn't use a comb again however, I didn't notice a difference in the amount of shed hair. I detangled on dry hair using EVOO.

I'll see if I notice a difference on my next wash day which will probably be Sunday.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next