CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NYC indian stores - to buy henna / amla

4 posters

Go down

NYC indian stores  - to buy henna / amla Empty NYC indian stores - to buy henna / amla

Post by IJustWannaKnow2 20th January 2011, 10:59 am

HI!
Are there any other indian stores in NYC other than on 28th @ Lex. to buy the henna / amla?
Thanks!

IJustWannaKnow2

Back to top Go down

NYC indian stores  - to buy henna / amla Empty Re: NYC indian stores - to buy henna / amla

Post by atangledmess 20th January 2011, 11:45 am

Hi IJWK2: Sorry to shorten your name but... I was there last night but I didn't stop in the little indian store. I popped in Butala, which is close to the 6 train near Park Avenue, on the same block at the little indian store. The other one I was told about from this site is Sinha Trading, 121 Lexining Avenue, 212-683-4419, near 96 st, I think but I know it's in the 90s. I was also given a website that list all the indian stores in NYC: www.nyindia.us/grocery.html. You didn't like the one on 28? Take care.

atangledmess

Back to top Go down

NYC indian stores  - to buy henna / amla Empty Re: NYC indian stores - to buy henna / amla

Post by MsKayDee 4th February 2011, 6:47 pm

Hi! There are two stores: spice market closer to 29th and singh near 28th and Lexingotn. I went to both today. Spice doesn't specifically have Jamila henna, but their own packaeged but Singh does. I just didn't couldn't tel the shelf date of it once I opened ot. They both have amla powder-songh has it in jars pre packed, and spice has it from a vedore labeled Hope this helps!.
MsKayDee
MsKayDee

Back to top Go down

NYC indian stores  - to buy henna / amla Empty Butala

Post by IJustWannaKnow2 5th February 2011, 8:59 pm

It's on 28th below Lexington: 108 E28th St.
They have incense burning so you'll smell it a lot when you open the door... just an fyi..(*cough*)

Thanks I ended up at Butala and was satisfied with what they had; thanks.

Last edited by IJustWannaKnow2 on 9th February 2011, 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

IJustWannaKnow2

Back to top Go down

Post by MsKayDee 5th February 2011, 9:04 pm

Where is butala?
MsKayDee
MsKayDee

Back to top Go down

Post by atangledmess 5th February 2011, 9:43 pm

Hi ladydivah: I'm reposting my reply, which is located in this thread. Also, if you didn't know, there's a NYC curly meet-up this Thursday @ 7:30 @ Kate's Joint in the village. Check out the meet-up thread to RSVP if your schedule permits. I was there last night but I didn't stop in the little indian store. I popped in Butala, which is close to the 6 train near Park Avenue, on the same block at the little indian store. The other one I was told about from this site is Sinha Trading, 121 Lexining Avenue, 212-683-4419, near 96 st, I think but I know it's in the 90s. I was also given a website that list all the indian stores in NYC: www.nyindia.us/grocery.html. You didn't like the one on 28? Take care.

atangledmess

Back to top Go down

Post by MsKayDee 5th February 2011, 9:56 pm

Oh wow! A curly meet up!! I've never been to one! I wont be able to make it this week though. I am sorry--you did write that above (note to myself-reading is fundamental! LOL) I am going to order some henna from www.hennasooq.com and call it a day. Thanks for the meet-up thread info! I will check it out as i have never checked it out before. What did you buy?
MsKayDee
MsKayDee

Back to top Go down

Post by atangledmess 5th February 2011, 11:16 pm

Hey ladydivah, at I bought amla/brahim & neem oils. I want to try the one you mentioned to buy some more cassia & henna. I initially ordered mine on line but prefer to save my dollars in shipping & handling costs.

atangledmess

Back to top Go down

Post by MsKayDee 6th February 2011, 12:13 am

I preferred spice market than singh but you can check both out for yourself. unless you are looking for a particular brand with a date stamp, I would order online from a reliable source. Singh had amla powder in a self packed jar and label, but spice market had a brand label with a use by date. Some of their stuff looked like it was sitting there for a while, and some spices were near the window in Singh too which seems to me to be a non-no for some things. But check it out--I would suggest calling them to find out if they carry what you are looking for before you make the trip. Thanks for your help again!
MsKayDee
MsKayDee

Back to top Go down

Post by NeeC1 5th March 2011, 8:54 pm

Hey ladies:
My MIL went to the shop on E 28th & Lexington to get some henna and amla power for me, I don't know WHAT she came out of there with (I knew that would happen Laughing ). I tried to have her look for the brands I see/hear of on CN (Jamila, Dulhan, etc), but she came out with a jar of "Amla Powder"-that's all the jar said ... and Hesh brand, Dulhan henna. I don't know ... I was hoping to avoid buying anything on line, but that didn't work out so well. I'm in San Antonio (TX) and we don't have JACK down here ... I'll be in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area next weekend so I'm trying to line my resources up so I can do what I have to do. Otherwise, I'll be in NYC in June and will do some shopping then. Oy ... the pains of finding henna "deep in the heart of Texas"! lol!

~NeeC1
NeeC1
NeeC1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down