CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Henna & Amla

2 posters

Go down

Henna & Amla Empty Henna & Amla

Post by Esanh 24th January 2010, 6:44 pm

I want to make sure that my hair doesn't get straighter over time when I henna, and I have seen it mentioned a few times that if you mix in some Amla powder, it will keep your hair curly. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this, and what sort of ratio of amla to henna should I be using in my mix? Thanks Very Happy
Esanh
Esanh

Back to top Go down

Henna & Amla Empty Re: Henna & Amla

Post by R2D2 25th January 2010, 1:33 am

You could give it a try, but I don't think it's a 100% guaranteed thing. People that use amla in order to counteract straightening tend to mix equal amounts of henna and amla together.

With the first treatment, the straightening effect of henna will be fairly minimal anyway, it tends to happen after several treatments.
I believe the reason it happens is because the effect of henna coating the hair shaft weighs the hair strand down and therefore stretches the curl. So the more often you henna, the more pronounced the effect will be because your hair will have progressive coats. Not everyone experiences but I have certainly noticed it in my hair. I am not sure what amla does to counteract this effect. I would have thought that it would coat the strand even more.
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down