CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm sick of this acne!!

+11
AimWard
blackice82
mizcreativelyme
Karyn
BlondeByDesire
DvaAuNaturel
sheabutterlover
Pretty_Vee
Madeaj
ChrsLvsBks
QuirkyCurly
15 posters

Go down

I'm sick of this acne!! Empty I'm sick of this acne!!

Post by QuirkyCurly 12th January 2011, 12:21 am

Hey everybody!

Ive had the same acne since beginning of December!! Its all over my cheeks and chin. Not to metion, when the ance fades, its leaving scars. I also have this flat red acne too!
The oil-cleansing method is working kinda-sorta. When i added some grapeseed it worked better, but I'm growing impatient. Any other methods/products you guys would recommend? I want it gone now!

TIA Very Happy
QuirkyCurly
QuirkyCurly

Back to top Go down

I'm sick of this acne!! Empty Re: I'm sick of this acne!!

Post by ChrsLvsBks 12th January 2011, 11:41 am

I am with you. My skin has been awful since the end of October. I am calling the dermatolagist today. I have tried three methods for three weeks with no success (Mario Badescu, OCM, & using benzoyl peroxide). It has gone on for too long.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Madeaj 12th January 2011, 12:27 pm

Have you tried oatmeal cleansing. Honey fruit masks, etc?
Grind whole rolled or steel cut oats into a flour. A little goes a long way. To use daily mix with water (tap is fine) to make a paste. Smooth oat mixture on your face and leave on for a few minutes. I usually shower or start my coffee. Rinse with body temp or slightly cool water. You could also use strong chamomile tea to mix it with.

Weekly mix the oatmeal with honey, mashed banana (or avocado, strawberry, etc) and a little chamomile tea to make a mask. Rinse with cool water.

Invest in some baby washcloths and use those only for your face and wash them in hot water after using once.
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by Pretty_Vee 12th January 2011, 12:38 pm

Three Words Ladies:

African Black Soap! I'm telling you just try it! it WILL work!
Pretty_Vee
Pretty_Vee

http://www.pretty-girl-rock.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sheabutterlover 12th January 2011, 5:11 pm

Interesting, my face has been CUTTIN UP since October too! I usually use Black Soap with great results, but it seems like all of a sudden my face became resistant to it. Since then I've been using Neutrogena, the OCM, and Dermalogica to try to help. Haven't found a full solution yet. Just know that you're not alone!

sheabutterlover

Back to top Go down

Post by QuirkyCurly 12th January 2011, 6:39 pm

Thanks Ladies!

I didn't get any emails saying that i got responses..weird huh?

Anyways, I just bought some black soap fro shea essentials so i hope this helps. Idk whats going on, but i did try this product called zapzyt. It has 10% benzyl peroxide in it instead of the usual 2.5-5% that most ance products have. I did work but it dried out my face like no other!! Lol but I mix it with grapessed oil since my face likes this the most.

@MadeaJ i will be tying some of those suggestions. I need a new mask..I used to use honey/aloe juice but it did nothing Sad
QuirkyCurly
QuirkyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 13th January 2011, 12:10 am

I have been struggling as well with acne. I'm so sick of it. I am going to make an appointment with the dermatologist through my insurance and if that does not work then I'm willing to pay out of pocket to get the best care to help clear up my skin. I was using a combo of clindomycin phosphate (AM) and Retin A (PM) but had to slow up on the Retin A because it was/is drying my skin out. I've changed up cleansers and still have issues. I'm so frustrated.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 13th January 2011, 10:54 am

I'm dealing with a severe case of backacne ... My derm appt. isin't until March. The antibiotics I was using stopped working ... my back looks horrible especially on the right side and it's starting to trickle down my arm. No good, summer is approaching.
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by Karyn 13th January 2011, 6:19 pm

BlondeByDesire wrote:I'm dealing with a severe case of backacne ... My derm appt. isin't until March. The antibiotics I was using stopped working ... my back looks horrible especially on the right side and it's starting to trickle down my arm. No good, summer is approaching.

if you wash your body after you wash your hair, that may help
Karyn
Karyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Pretty_Vee 13th January 2011, 11:16 pm

BlondebyDesire: have you tried exfoliating with one of those loofah back scrubbers? that may help

p.s. gimme that hair girl!! I love it!!!!!

What color/brand did you use? I want fiery auburn in mine..it looks like you've got a good color payoff with yours.

Also..it looks SOOO healthy and moisturized!!! how did you keep it form looking all dry after taking it to blonde? Or is that your natural color (as I realize there are black folk with blonde hair) Embarassed

Whats n eva it is, (country girl here!) it's BEAUTIFUL!
Pretty_Vee
Pretty_Vee

Back to top Go down

Post by mizcreativelyme 14th January 2011, 12:41 pm

i have battled with acne for over 18 years. believe me when i tell you that i have tried almost everything out there (neutrogena, BC pills, proactive, raw black soap, oil cleansing method, oatmeal/honey masks, various Rx, too many others to name, etc). i went to the derm last year for the last time and was given meds which made it worse. recently, i don't know if my hormones have shifted to a happy place or what, but my skin has cleared tremendously. the only thing that i changed in my regimen is that i began using Cetaphil and exfoliating at least three times per week. for years, i did not exfoliate regularly, which was one of the reasons the acne was exaggerated. in my case, due to having very oily [sensitive] skin, it's very easy for the pores to become clogged because the skin cannot "breathe" once cell renewal/turnover has occurred. thus resulting in more acne/blemishes and the cycle repeats itself. after failed visits to the derm last aug-oct, i visited an aesthetician at Ulta and booked an appointment for a deep pore cleansing facial for sensitive skin. after 3 sessions, my skin improved. she recommended a very gentle cleanser...Cetaphil. she stressed to me that it was very important that i worked WITH the oils in my skin and not to purchase commercial products that stripped the oils. once stripping occurs, the skin will over compensate, producing more oil than is necessary, which will result in more acne. my current regime consists of the following and i have seen MAJOR improvements in my skin over the past 2 months.

Cetaphil [daily cleanser for ALL skin types - contains glycerine/very moisturizing not oily]
Tea Tree Oil (antiseptic/dries out acne and speeds healing)
Clinique [acne solutions] moisturizer (contains a very low % of benzoyl peroxide to keep acne at bay and goes on smooth for a matte finish, not oily at all)
Neutrogena Tone Correcting Serum (this contains retin-A, causing mild peeling to occur, which helps to remove dead skin/fade blemishes. i prefer to use this to achieve a more even skin tone, instead of a fading cream)
Facial Buffing Pads (for exfoliating)
REGIMEN

A.M.
-massage skin with warm water
-apply Cetaphil/massaging thoroughly
-wipe face clean with white cotton washcloth (using small circular motions)
-allow face to air dry and apply Clinique moisturizer

P.M.
-follow above steps 1-3
-apply small dollop of Cetaphil to facial buffing pad and exfoliate
-wipe clean with white washcloth (cool water)
-apply neutrogena tone correcting serum
-spot treat with tea tree oil (i don't dilute, only use a little to spot treat if i see a whitehead beginning to crop up)

i truly understand how frustrating acne can be. so i hope that you find what works for you. whatever you may try, give it at least 6-8 weeks to work. you may want to try taking pics for a photo journal, as i did, so you can see progress along the way. remember to be gentle with your skin and if you do need to extract acne/blackheads, to avoid more scars, moisturize your skin with water so that it's pliable, use the pads of your fingers/not your nails and be sure your hands are clean. good luck chica Very Happy
mizcreativelyme
mizcreativelyme

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 14th January 2011, 1:32 pm

Karyn wrote:
BlondeByDesire wrote:I'm dealing with a severe case of backacne ... My derm appt. isin't until March. The antibiotics I was using stopped working ... my back looks horrible especially on the right side and it's starting to trickle down my arm. No good, summer is approaching.

That's what I do...

Pretty_Vee wrote:BlondebyDesire: have you tried exfoliating with one of those loofah back scrubbers? that may help

What color/brand did you use? I want fiery auburn in mine..it looks like you've got a good color payoff with yours.

Also..it looks SOOO healthy and moisturized!!! how did you keep it form looking all dry after taking it to blonde? Or is that your natural color (as I realize there are black folk with blonde hair) Embarassed

Yes, I've tried the loofah back scrubber and I need to invest in another one. The glue came undone on my first one - got it from Target. Was using nuetrogena acne body wash.

As for my hair, thank you. I use Ms. Clairol luminizer - it's a lightner - it lightens your natural color to its fullest potential. Since I've been using this Ms. Clairol has changed the name to something, but product does the same thing. My hair is about 3 different shades of blonde. Mostly done by the Sun in summer months. I've had this color well over 10 years now - with no ill effects and issues with dryness or breakage. It's not as harsh as those other dyes that containes amonia and other stuff. My natural color is dark brown/black.
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by Pretty_Vee 14th January 2011, 2:18 pm

BlondeByDesire wrote:
Karyn wrote:

That's what I do...

Pretty_Vee wrote:BlondebyDesire: have you tried exfoliating with one of those loofah back scrubbers? that may help

Yes, I've tried the loofah back scrubber and I need to invest in another one. The glue came undone on my first one - got it from Target. Was using nuetrogena acne body wash.

As for my hair, thank you. I use Ms. Clairol luminizer - it's a lightner - it lightens your natural color to its fullest potential. Since I've been using this Ms. Clairol has changed the name to something, but product does the same thing. My hair is about 3 different shades of blonde. Mostly done by the Sun in summer months. I've had this color well over 10 years now - with no ill effects and issues with dryness or breakage. It's not as harsh as those other dyes that containes amonia and other stuff. My natural color is dark brown/black.

Ok thanks! I'll have to go and look for it. I had purchased Garnier Fructris hair color and did a test on some harvested hair from my brush but it didnt give the color I wanted so the rest of it is just sitting in my cabinet unused. I will look for the Clairol one..hopefull i pick up the right one and I'll do another test before I do my whole head.

I'm glad I didn't do the Garnier on my whole head without testing. That would have been an unneccesary waste and disappointment with the color.

Pretty_Vee
Pretty_Vee

Back to top Go down

Post by blackice82 15th January 2011, 12:24 pm

I've been dealing with acne since age 11 and I've use everything that's out there proactive, differin gel, retin A, you name I've tried. The one think that help was seeing a cosmetic dermatologist who started doing chemical peels. Not only were the breakout less frequent but it also lighten the acne scar. I also started getting it on my back. The OCH method is working for me too I'm using castor oil, EVOO, and tree tea oil. I hope you find find a regime that works for you
blackice82
blackice82

Back to top Go down

Post by AimWard 17th January 2011, 3:45 am

http://www.facerealityacneclinic.com/

All I can say is this place got my skin completely clear in 3 months (and don't be fooled by the white/non black estheticans on the website, they KNOW how to deal with African/black/dark skin). I don't even break out @ that time of the month. I've been seeing them since July. And if you don't live in California they have a long distance program. They also taught me how to read skin care product labels to avoid pore cloggers (you'd be surprised at how many natural items that can wreck havoc on acne prone skin).

My skin care regimen is pretty simple but I had to work up to it under the acne clinic's guidance to avoid irritation and dryness. I go in for a facial with a peel and extractions every 8 weeks The key to long term acne control is knowing exactly what you're putting on your face and CONSISTENCY. If you have acne prone skin (and you're out of your teens) you will probably always have acne prone skin until you hit menopause (and even then, you may still have it). Don't stop your skin care regimen when your skin clears or the acne will come back. My skin is so clear now, I only wear powder if I'm going out or I'm about to take pictures.

AM
Cleanse (black soap)
Exfoliate (dermalogica daily microfoliant, good stuff but expensive)
(if I have any current break outs I ice the pimple for 2 minutes @ this point)
Tone
Exfoliant (Face Reality Mandelic acid Serum 15%)
Moisturize (either pure argan oil or sunblock)

PM
Cleanse
Exfoliate
(if I have any current break outs I ice the pimple for 2 minutes @ this point)
Tone
Exfoliant
Treat (Face Reality Acne Med 5% benzoyl Peroxide)

FYI: Mandelic Acid is like glycolic acid, but it's got anti-bacterial properties and it's great for dark skin.
AimWard
AimWard

Back to top Go down

Post by brandiitneka 4th February 2011, 12:03 pm

I didnt start having acne problems till 2006. Never had a breakout growing up, but for some reason my face decided to act up at 24!!! I was red and bumpy, and I hated it!! Thank God for Clinique Acne Solutions and AcneFree(I think thats the name, orange and white box). I have to alternate between the two. the CLinique is a little expensive but it works wonders. The AcneFree is about 16-20 dollars depending on where you get it from ( Walmart, Target, Ulta). I tried using the Black Soap but it mad my skin really dry and it seemed to get worse. If you are alergic to Benzoyl Peroxide I would recomend just using an anti-bacterial glycerin soap to cleans and a good moisturiser with a SPF. Dont put any make up on until it starts to clear up!! Oh, I also used the Black and White brand fade cream. It works pretty good over time, about 4 to 6 weeks.
brandiitneka
brandiitneka

Back to top Go down

Post by EastAfricanCurly 10th February 2011, 2:57 pm

There's an AMAZING cream that my doctor prescribed to me. It's called Epiduo and it's got a Retinol-A and BP which together is pretty affective. It left me with severely dry skin to begin with but I noticed a difference within days. The acne on my chin is pretty hard to budge but it's slowly going and I recommend people to get this cream.

EastAfricanCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by QuirkyCurly 10th February 2011, 3:06 pm

EastAfricanCurly wrote:There's an AMAZING cream that my doctor prescribed to me. It's called Epiduo and it's got a Retinol-A and BP which together is pretty affective. It left me with severely dry skin to begin with but I noticed a difference within days. The acne on my chin is pretty hard to budge but it's slowly going and I recommend people to get this cream.

Is it only through prescription? If so, I will ask the dermatologist for this when I go to my appointment soon.
QuirkyCurly
QuirkyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by EastAfricanCurly 10th February 2011, 4:46 pm

Yeah in the UK where I live, it's prescription only so I'm guessing it may be like that across the world. Just ask your derm and hopefully they'll prescribe you this magic in a tube!

EastAfricanCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 10th February 2011, 4:48 pm

My cystic acne is finally starting to show significant improvement. I was prescribed Finacea (typically prescribed for those with rosacea) and Clindagel. I cleanse with Cerave morning and night. I use the Clindagel on acne bumps in the morning and apply Finacea all over at night. I moisturize with Neutrogen SPF moisturizer morning and night.

Pictures for comparison
January 19
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

February 10
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lys227 16th February 2011, 3:48 pm

I too have had a crazy whitehead/cyctic breakout 2 weeks ago!!!! I'm soooooooo embarrased to go out in public. I did not start breaking out with cyctic acne until around 25. At around 29 it was at it's worse. It left HORRIBLE scars. I FINALLY found a dermatologist that knew what the heck she was doing. She gave me serveral prescriptions that worked immediately. Acne has been gone for a year now, and now....tah dah, it's back with vengence!!!! I make an appt and she didn't have anything until March 22...they worked me in Feb 9 bc I kept calling everyday! New regimen is dorxy in morning, triaz wash, and aczone (which i used last time) twice a day. I'm already drying up, but those darn spots.

lys227

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyMo 11th March 2011, 11:32 pm

I hear a cotton pad and some ACV will CURE it...My sisters acne is GONE
CurlyMo
CurlyMo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down