CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Let me run my henna plan by you ladies real quick!

+3
MelMelBee
CSI
mokacoffey
7 posters

Go down

Let me run my henna plan by you ladies real quick! Empty Let me run my henna plan by you ladies real quick!

Post by mokacoffey 6th January 2011, 2:44 am

So I plan to do my first Henna treatment on Friday. I will mix up the Henna before work and let it sit the 8hrs I'm there. I am using Dulhan brand , btw. Wash my hair when I get home that night, and apply the henna. Sleep in the henna while it's doing it's thing. Rinse out the henna in the morning and make Indigo mix and apply that right after for maybe 1.5 hrs? I think I will just use ACV & water in the mix but i have heard of some ppl using honey to make the mix smoother, I think? I am super excited.
Should I still do a strand test or harvest hair from brush test if I am doing indigo right over the henna?

Also, after the initial treatment of henna & indigo this weekend, when I do henna again maybe in 2 weeks will I need to do indigo again ya think? I mean, will I just have the mild red tints on the indigoed (sp) hair from then on? Or do I need to do this 2 step process from now on? My natural hair is a black (not jet) with some old brown color on the ends. The color is older than a year. I need it gone! lol
Thanks!

mokacoffey

Back to top Go down

Let me run my henna plan by you ladies real quick! Empty Re: Let me run my henna plan by you ladies real quick!

Post by CSI 6th January 2011, 5:13 pm

Congratulations on your first henna treatment.... You'll love it. One not of caution: you may not want to use ACV in your mix. The simpler the better. Curly Nikki just uses honey and the Tea. either Black Tea or Green Tea. this will leave your hair hard and you'll need to do a deep conditioner afterwards. Knowing that you would not want to do the ACV as well. I have never waited that long or left my henna on for so long. what color is your hair now? If your hair is in the brown family the henna will take immediately. I apply immediately after making the mix and I leave it on for only 2 hours. I still get plenty of color and it makes my grays coppery-red Smile It's all good. I just think the simpler the better. I looked on you tube on ideas of how to apply it and that really helped. It's pretty much like doing a relaxer. Part the hair in fours and apply accordingly. Do not put Saran wrap on it because it'll never dry that way. I learned from the true Indian women who use it that you don't use Saran Wrap. You just leave it on to dry in the open air. After two hours I wash it out and do a deep conditioner with EVOO/ Honey and a cheap conditioner like Suave. As far as the Indigo, it will make your hair super black if you apply it on right afterward. I personally didn't like the blue black look so I mixed it the next time together with the henna to make it dark brown and my hair still came out black. my original color is black anyway or very close to it. You don't have to do the indigo all the time. only if you have lots of grays and they grow quickly. maybe, every other time. depends on how often you do it. once a month would probably be good enough to keep the grays at bay Smile the more treatments you do at first the better. it cannot damage your hair. some do it once a week for a month to get the hair in tip top shape and it really helps get it well conditioned.

CSI

Back to top Go down

Let me run my henna plan by you ladies real quick! Empty Re: Let me run my henna plan by you ladies real quick!

Post by mokacoffey 6th January 2011, 8:26 pm

@CSI: I really am pumped! My hair is naturally black and I want to get back to that color cause I have some reddish brown color on the ends from over a year ago that's growing out. I don't think I will use the ACV if it will be too drying:-(
I have never had a relaxer, but I understand about the application process.
I kinda thought that you didn't want the henna to dry in your hair, though? I thought that's why the plastic caps or Saran wrap? Hmm... I'll look into it later I guess.
I will be using 200 grams of Henna, what do u think about my water, tea( or ACV) & honey ratio. I have not tried to figure it out yet.

mokacoffey

Back to top Go down

Post by MelMelBee 6th January 2011, 9:31 pm

Hey Ladies,

I use an henna/amla mix, as henna alone loosens my curl pattern too much! I only mix with green tea and add honey to help with the washing out. I just found out that the amla serves as the acid, so I really only need to use warm water without the tea. I use Jamilla henna and only let it sit for about 40 minutes, as the dye starts to release sooner with this brand.

I do cover with saran wrap and a plastic cap. I just henna'd the other day and around the edges got dry. When I went to rinse it out, I had to spend extra time around my edges picking it out...even under running water. It was slightly painful...I'll admit that I am slightly tender-headed, and of course the hair at the hairline is fine.

Good Luck
MelMelBee
MelMelBee

http://www.experiencestmattsumc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 6th January 2011, 11:12 pm

YAAY!! I plan on doing a henna/indigo treatment soon (im waiting for my order from butter n bars)..im excited too, ever since i heard commerical dyes can cause split ends (which is an enemy of mines) I stopped dying my hair black. BUT now i miss my jet black hair Sad so the henna/indigo is calling my name!!
I plan on mixing my henna with green tea and the indigo with just water, and im following your same method
-let henna sit overnight
-rinse and immediatly apply indigo!!
-then i do a gooooood DC
I cant wait to have my black hair back cheers
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sthrngal92 6th January 2011, 11:21 pm

Hi! Totally understand your excitement, I did my first henna this week and it was awesome! I do not personally have any experience with indigo but moptopmaven does a process that seems exactly like what you would like to do. here's a link to her tutorial:

http://moptopmaven.blogspot.com/2011/01/giveaway-1-jamila-henna-indigo.html

Hth! Happy henna-ing!
Sthrngal92
Sthrngal92

https://facebook.com/Neva.Skinner.Trice ; twitter.com/Sthrngal92

Back to top Go down

Post by mokacoffey 7th January 2011, 2:33 am

@Sthrngal92: thanks for that link!

mokacoffey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sthrngal92 7th January 2011, 4:04 am

you are more than welcome! you're in my hometown! i'm from forest hills!
Sthrngal92
Sthrngal92

https://facebook.com/Neva.Skinner.Trice ; twitter.com/Sthrngal92

Back to top Go down

Post by mokacoffey 7th January 2011, 2:26 pm

I am so excited to just start mixing it up. Gonna do it now. It will sit for about 10 hrs before I apply it tonight!

mokacoffey

Back to top Go down

Post by mokacoffey 8th January 2011, 3:06 am

I just applied the henna and it wasn't as messy as I had thought. Yes!! But one of my gloves broke between my fingers and I didn't know so now I have Orange between my fingers Laughing Anybody know how long that might last on my hand?? Dang. Oh well! Will rinse hair in the morning!

mokacoffey

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlaAR 8th January 2011, 6:44 pm

mokacoffey wrote:I just applied the henna and it wasn't as messy as I had thought. Yes!! But one of my gloves broke between my fingers and I didn't know so now I have Orange between my fingers Laughing Anybody know how long that might last on my hand?? Dang. Oh well! Will rinse hair in the morning!

When I hennaed the first time, I was using cheap disposable gloves and one of them broke too. My hand and part of my arm was orange. Thankfully that only lasted a few days. Smile

As a side note: For some reason I always thought you had to leave it in your hair for at least four hours. Next time I henna, I will try for two and see what happens.
CarlaAR
CarlaAR

Back to top Go down

Post by Madeaj 8th January 2011, 8:12 pm

I got my best results with leaving it in for 2 hours. One hour under the bonnet dryer and that's because I fell asleep. Warm air, a book, hot chocolate and no noise = sleep. lol. The only that woke me was my phone. The glosses I've been doing have had good conditioning results but little color. I can tell because I have a couple of grays in front and about a half inch of white is showing even though I did a gloss this week.

Later this month I'll do a full gel henna again and see if I get the same color results as last time.
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down