CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has anyone tried the Rainbow Brand Henna?

5 posters

Go down

Has anyone tried the Rainbow Brand Henna? Empty Has anyone tried the Rainbow Brand Henna?

Post by newlycurlygirly 29th December 2010, 7:10 pm

Today I bought the Rainbow brand Henna from Whole Foods Market in the color Persian Dark Brown. Has anyone ever tried it? Or any other store bought brand for that matter? Did it give you good results?
newlycurlygirly
newlycurlygirly

http://members.fotki.com/newlycurlygirly/about/

Back to top Go down

Has anyone tried the Rainbow Brand Henna? Empty Re: Has anyone tried the Rainbow Brand Henna?

Post by CarlaAR 29th December 2010, 8:36 pm

I used it twice years ago (1995 and 2002) when I still had flat-ironed hair and it was not so good. It was extremely difficult to wash out and even days after application, my hair was still shedding henna. The shift is very coarse which made application and rinsing very messy.

Not worth it.

ETA: I just noticed that you DID buy it - sorry about that! Since you already have it, I suggest shifting it though a fine mesh shifter and doing a henna gloss (with conditioner) that's outlined at curlynikki.com under "henna". I think that's your best bet...

Last edited by CarlaAR on 29th December 2010, 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more info)
CarlaAR
CarlaAR

Back to top Go down

Has anyone tried the Rainbow Brand Henna? Empty Re: Has anyone tried the Rainbow Brand Henna?

Post by newlycurlygirly 29th December 2010, 9:05 pm

@CarlaAR that's UBER disappointing Sad I thought it'd be just as good as any of the other brands. I can always take it out it's no biggie, I just like thinstant gratification of going into a store and walking out with what I buy. Such is life.. Thank you for the helpful tips though
newlycurlygirly
newlycurlygirly

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyGirly9 29th December 2010, 9:20 pm

Yes I purchased persian mahogany from whole foods last thursday. I used the entire container mixed with 1 cup of green tea on sunday. Boy was it a pain to rinse out! Mad but it left my hair stronger, more manegable, and softer plus it now has a nice shine and tint in the sun. I might purchase it again. I can't wait to hear how it works for you! Smile

Results
My hair before henna
[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]
After
applied leave in and decided to cut relaxed ends in the back of my head after
[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]
Up close braided today (much softer and easier to comb and style)
[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img][img
CurlyGirly9
CurlyGirly9

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlaAR 29th December 2010, 9:23 pm

It is too bad that you cant really find the BAQ (body art quality) henna at brick & mortar stores in most cases. I wondered why the henna hair folks here and other hair/natural hair websites advocate henna that you can almost never find at the stores and now I know why. Once I started using BAQ henna (Jamila and other types/brands) I never went back.

I would still try shifting it and see how that works.
CarlaAR
CarlaAR

Back to top Go down

Post by newlycurlygirly 29th December 2010, 9:47 pm

@CurkyGirl9 so happy you cut off the realxed ends!! !! I havnt decided whether to keep it or not. If I do decide to I will definayely sift it. I'm just not looking forward to rinsing it out I'd it's so dreadful! I follow the CG method so is it ok to rinse it out with conditioner only or must I use shampoo?
newlycurlygirly
newlycurlygirly

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlaAR 29th December 2010, 9:51 pm

newlycurlygirly wrote:@CurkyGirl9 so happy you cut off the realxed ends!! !! I havnt decided whether to keep it or not. If I do decide to I will definayely sift it. I'm just not looking forward to rinsing it out I'd it's so dreadful! I follow the CG method so is it ok to rinse it out with conditioner only or must I use shampoo?

Though I do shampoo my hair before using henna because I want to get all the oils/butters, etc out of my hair before applying, I only use conditioner and water to get it out. Conditioner is just fine.
CarlaAR
CarlaAR

Back to top Go down

Post by MissyCee 29th December 2010, 9:54 pm

I've used Colora Henna, I found at a beauty supply store. I like. I mix with honey, olive oil and hot water before use. if rinses well and gives a nice color. I recently used Rainbow on my daughter,light brown, didn't do an thing and hard to rinse out. Good luck with your choice. I do plan to order some Jamila in the new year though. If I like my Colora so much, I can't imagine what the Jamila will do...
MissyCee
MissyCee

Back to top Go down

Post by newlycurlygirly 30th December 2010, 1:10 pm

I just purchased Jamila Henna from ebay for $7. The reviews I saw on Rainbow brand henna were horrible. I just don't feel like the hastle! Can't wait to try it out! Thank you for all of your help! I am returning the Rainbow Henna to Whole Foods today. Very Happy
newlycurlygirly
newlycurlygirly

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiffy2 30th December 2010, 7:34 pm

I made my order earlier for a 6 month supply of jamila BAQ henna off butters-n-bars.com. costed me $46.00 with a 15% off coupon. Gotta do my monthly henna treatment.
Tiffy2
Tiffy2

https://facebook.com/cherrikissez

Back to top Go down

Post by newlycurlygirly 30th December 2010, 7:51 pm

I have one more question ladies. Is there a difference between regular henna'ng and henna gloss? I know you add conditioner to the gloss, but what's the conditioner do to change it? My only concern is that I do not want my curl pattern to loosen alot. So which would you all suggest?
newlycurlygirly
newlycurlygirly

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlaAR 30th December 2010, 8:30 pm

I have done both and the henna gloss is more moisturizing and easier to wash out. That's pretty much the only difference with me. I do the "regular" henna when I leave it in overnight followed by a 1-2 hours DT or a henna gloss when I can heave it on my hair for an evening (4 hours in general) and spend less time with a DT afterward.
CarlaAR
CarlaAR

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlaAR 30th December 2010, 8:31 pm

Oh, and my curl pattern has not loosened at all, but everyone is different.
CarlaAR
CarlaAR

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down