CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN HENNA?

+17
lollipop33
MelMelBee
ChrsLvsBks
envizionj
ajsimmons8
mitchellzee
sweetface1118
aggiegem
belleaenca
Cecewms84
PrincessRN
CarlaAR
atangledmess
newlycurlygirly
misskris
Madeaj
Imgettingthere
21 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN HENNA? - Page 2 Empty Re: CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN HENNA?

Post by atangledmess 30th December 2010, 2:09 pm

Hi Aggiegem, I've done the henna twice and it
loosened my curls, which isn't an issue for me during the
winter. I don't wear my hair out because it becomes a tangled mess . I just received my order of African something henna, cassia, and amla. I will use them to help restore my curls and for conditioning and maybe I can wear my hair out and it won't be a tangled mess. So far my hair is softer. Thanks for your response. Surprised

atangledmess

Back to top Go down

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN HENNA? - Page 2 Empty Re: CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN HENNA?

Post by belleaenca 30th December 2010, 9:01 pm

atangledmess wrote:Hi belleaenca,

I ordered cassia and alma and I was wondering what ingredients did you mix in the cassia? Thanks for your response.

I used 100g of cassia and to that I added 1 cup of hot green tea, 1/2 of conditioner (any inexpensive one will do - I used a mix of HEHH and Suave Tropical coconut because I didn't have enough of either to make the 1/2 cup). I mixed it well and let it sit for about an hour then right before applying it I added about 1/4 cup of coconut or jojoba oil (can't remember which). I kept the treamtment on for about 2hrs and then rinsed it out and applied a DT for another 2hrs and then continue with usual routine...

Let us know how you like it, if you try it Smile

belleaenca

Back to top Go down

Post by atangledmess 30th December 2010, 10:27 pm

Hey Belleaenca, I'm going to try it sometime next month and will let you all know. Thanks for your response. Happy New Year's Razz

atangledmess

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetface1118 30th December 2010, 11:04 pm

Seriously ladies, you have cleared up a lot of the questions I have about Henna...thanks for the thread. I will be doing my Henna this weekend for and can't wait. dance
sweetface1118
sweetface1118

http://public.fotki.com/wildjjjs/my-hair-journey/bc-immediately-

Back to top Go down

Post by atangledmess 30th December 2010, 11:11 pm

Hey Sweetface1118 and fellow newyorker,, I'm from the boogie down. Let us know how it turns out and what ingredients you use. lol! afro

atangledmess

Back to top Go down

Post by mitchellzee 31st December 2010, 12:51 am

newlycurlygirly wrote:Does henna loosen your curl pattern @ all? I'd like to try the indigo color, but I am afraid it will loosen my tight coils.

I have experienced some loosening in my texture so I add amla powder to my mix to keep the henna from having this effect. There is another thread here in the forum where a young lady describes how she used henna to loosen her curl pattern. I would say instead of springy coils, I have more loose spirals and "s" shapes now. I can tell that the amla is helping because my new growth is still pretty thick even after 2-3 more applications.
mitchellzee
mitchellzee

http://www.curlyincolorado.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mitchellzee 31st December 2010, 1:00 am

Cecewms84 wrote:^ I've just started researching it. I'm concerned with the time constraints - when is why i haven't done it yet

but i'm curious: what are the simplest ingredients to add to it? I've seen that ladies like to get real in depth with the ingredients (green tea, honey, etc)- whats the basics?

I like to keep it simple and just add water or strong green tea to turn my mix into the consistency I want. Then I add olive oil. I used to add honey but found out that this can actually have a lightening effect. All you need for color release is something acidic. Lemon juice can be drying which is why I use the tea. Amla powder is also acidic so if you use this in your mix this will help release color as well.
mitchellzee
mitchellzee

http://www.curlyincolorado.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ajsimmons8 1st January 2011, 7:16 pm

Great information ladies, can you buy the Amla powder from the Indian stores or just on-line? I already have my henna; got it on-line, but from what I've read the Amla will help retain the curl and tone down the reddish tint somewhat.
ajsimmons8
ajsimmons8

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 1st January 2011, 8:51 pm

AJSimmons8, you may purchase Amla powder at your local Indian store. They normally have the Hesh brand. I pay $2.49 (tax included) per box. It used to be $1.99, but since it has become so hard to obtain, Suspect said the store manager, they raised the price.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
If you can't find it, then you will have to go online unless you have family in another state that can buy and ship it for you.
flower
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by ajsimmons8 1st January 2011, 9:12 pm

Thank you Envizionj; any recommendations on the percentage of henna to amla that I should use. I think I read somewhere that a 50/50 mixture may work, but I'm not sure.
ajsimmons8
ajsimmons8

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 1st January 2011, 9:17 pm

AJ, 2 tablespoons of Amla powder to every 100 grams of Henna. sunny
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by ajsimmons8 1st January 2011, 9:18 pm

envizionj - thank you thank you thank you thank - hehehe did I say thank you? dance
ajsimmons8
ajsimmons8

Back to top Go down

Post by atangledmess 1st January 2011, 10:31 pm

Hey Envizionj, I live in NYC and was wondering where did you purchase t
alma? I just purchased some on line but know it'll be less expensive buying
from a store. Thanks for your response
geek

atangledmess

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 1st January 2011, 10:42 pm

Atangledmess, I purchase my henna from Zaitoon Super Store, located at 1082 Coney Island Avenue (Near Foster Avenue), Brooklyn, NY 11230, Phone: (718) 434-3450. They are open 24/7. There are also more stores on that strip going back towards Ditmas. Some areas of Queens should carry it as well. sunny

Here is a store that carries it in Manhattan http://www.nyindia.us/grocery.html Sinha Trading, 121 Lexington Avenue, New York, NY 10016, Phone: 212-683-4419. One of my co-workers has purchased her Amla from here. She said it was $2.49 per box, but I don't recall if tax was extra. Always call before you go to any of the Indian Grocers because the stuff is very popular among Indian woman as well as us. flower
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by atangledmess 1st January 2011, 11:03 pm

Hey Envizionj, thanks for the info. I was going to ask the ladies at the treading shop. king I just noticed your hanna/indigo time line. I was considering doing because I really like my dark hair and wanted it pop more. However, I also wouldn't mind the redish tint the henna will give. Do you see any blue-ish color in your hair from using indigo.

atangledmess

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 1st January 2011, 11:17 pm

Atangledmess, I have to change that time line. I'm going to change it right now. I have not used Indigo in a long time. I find that indigo gives me excruciating migraine headaches and a henna gloss does nothing to cover my gray hair at the roots after a henna treatment. I only use Jamila Summer Crop 2009 henna and add 1-2 tablespoons of Amla powder, 1 tablespoon of Brahmi power, 1 tablespoon of Maka power, 1 tablespoon of Black strap molasses, and mix in green tea brewed in spring water. I end up with coppery highlights on my gray hair. If you have all black hair, you may not notice a color change unless you are standing in the sun. I believe over time, you wouldn't get a blueish color since indigo will give you an off black rather than a jet black llok. I'm sure the other curlies will chime in on this. I believe ChrsLvsBks has been using indigo for a long time. I sent ChrsLvs a private message with the link so she may respond. flower
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by atangledmess 2nd January 2011, 12:15 am

Envizionj, interesting ingredients. I have grays that I want covered so I can stop pulling them out. I'm not ready to go there yet but my hair pigmentation has started iighten up due to the impending graying, at least that's what I believe, so it's a lighter shade in certain areas. Anywho, such as life. Thanks again for the info.

atangledmess

Back to top Go down

Post by Madeaj 2nd January 2011, 1:44 am

@atangledmess, you could try a sage, rosemary and thyme rinse. You make a strong tea from the herbs and use it rinse your hair. Some people also use it as a daily spray on their hair. The hair darkens with each application rather a dramatic change. It is also a good conditioner, good for the scalp and adds shine to the hair. Only thing is the smell of sage, rosemary and thyme. Here is one recipe. I never measured and its been years since I used it, but I do remember my hair felt nice.

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/beautyhair/rosemary-sage-hair-dye.html
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by atangledmess 2nd January 2011, 2:03 am

Oh, thanks, Madeaj, more stuff to buy and to substitute one addiction for another sunny I recently made a rinse of marshmallow, chamomile, and something else, which I mixed in some left over leave in conditioner from carol's daughter. The remainder I put in my water bottle. I didn't care for the smell and it make my scalp tingle a bit but other than that, I don't know what benefit it was to my hair. I'll let my hair and scalp rest from all the stuff I've put in it over the last two weeks (been in vac experimenting) before trying the receipe you sent. Thanks for the info.

atangledmess

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 2nd January 2011, 12:41 pm

atangledmess wrote:Hey Envizionj, thanks for the info. I was going to ask the ladies at the treading shop. king I just noticed your hanna/indigo time line. I was considering doing because I really like my dark hair and wanted it pop more. However, I also wouldn't mind the redish tint the henna will give. Do you see any blue-ish color in your hair from using indigo.
I have done indigo a few times in the last year to year and a half. I prefer the two step method which means doing a henna treatment then the indigo. I have added indigo to the henna to cut down on the process yet the results were not as I hoped. I have quite a few grays.

I prepare the henna and let it sit at least 12 hours. Apply it to my hair from root to tip, cover and let it sit for at least four hours. I rinse it out and apply the indigo. You do not have to let the indigo sit to release the dye as you do henna. I apply the indigo the same way as the henna. I leave it on for at least two hours. I find the longer you let it sit the better. REMEMBER, do not indigo without doing henna first.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MelMelBee 4th January 2011, 2:52 am

Hey Ladies,

I'm henna'ing as I type. Wanted to share my henna experience. My hair is "was" overly porous (has holes due to chemical damage), so henna serves as my protein treatment. Henna binds to the "holes" helping to allow moisture to remain in each strand of hair. I've been henna'ing since last July and I LOVE the results!

I use Jamilla henna and when I make it, I use 1/2 henna and 1/2 amla. Henna alone loosens my curl pattern too much, which made my curls more wavy in the front and some ends looked straight. The mix gives me the protein and color from the henna and the clumping and curl definition from the Amla. I use green tea with lemon (thanks Mitchellzee for the info about the amla being acidic enough...didn't know that), and honey for my mixture...following the same directions and process as Nikki.

My hair is still dark! Only when I am in the sun or standing in front of light can you see the red highlights.

Remember if you are protein sensitive, henna may make your hair like straw. I always follow with a DC.

Happy Henna'ing

MelMelBee
MelMelBee

http://www.experiencestmattsumc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by atangledmess 4th January 2011, 3:21 am

Thanks, Mel. I henna for the first time two weeks ago. I loved the results but didn't care that it loosened my curl pattern. Sometime next month, I'll use amla only to see if my curls tighten back up. I wouldn't mind loose curls if I hadn't thinned my hair out and chopped off the tangled areas silent

atangledmess

Back to top Go down

Post by Imgettingthere 12th January 2011, 3:24 pm

wow... this thing is really taking off!!!

I wish I could henna my hair now BUT i'm in a show so I'll have to postpone it until mid-february. So are you guys henna online or can I get it in a store? Also is this alma stuff neccessary?

Not gonna lie i didnt read all the post i just soft of ran through them real quick! LOL SORRY Laughing
Imgettingthere
Imgettingthere

Back to top Go down

Post by belleaenca 12th January 2011, 4:58 pm

envizionj wrote:Atangledmess, I purchase my henna from Zaitoon Super Store, located at 1082 Coney Island Avenue (Near Foster Avenue), Brooklyn, NY 11230, Phone: (718) 434-3450. They are open 24/7. There are also more stores on that strip going back towards Ditmas. Some areas of Queens should carry it as well. sunny

Here is a store that carries it in Manhattan http://www.nyindia.us/grocery.html Sinha Trading, 121 Lexington Avenue, New York, NY 10016, Phone: 212-683-4419. One of my co-workers has purchased her Amla from here. She said it was $2.49 per box, but I don't recall if tax was extra. Always call before you go to any of the Indian Grocers because the stuff is very popular among Indian woman as well as us. flower

OMG - the manhattan store is right down the block from my office!! woot! woot! Thanks for the info!!

belleaenca

Back to top Go down

Post by atangledmess 12th January 2011, 7:43 pm

Hey Envizionj, I'm going to do a cassia cond today. I wanted to try to color these grays but don't have the time to wait the 12 hours. After researching different mixes, I decided to use warm water, honey and maybe I'll throw in some cond and oil my hair first. Let you know how it goes Neutral

atangledmess

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next