CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN HENNA?

+17
lollipop33
MelMelBee
ChrsLvsBks
envizionj
ajsimmons8
mitchellzee
sweetface1118
aggiegem
belleaenca
Cecewms84
PrincessRN
CarlaAR
atangledmess
newlycurlygirly
misskris
Madeaj
Imgettingthere
21 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN HENNA? Empty CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN HENNA?

Post by Imgettingthere 27th December 2010, 3:35 pm

Salve!!

I am still confused on what exactly henna is and what it does? Embarassed Is henna a hair treatment, like a DC, or is it a dye? I've read about it as a dye but I've read so much I'm not sure if it only comes in red or if there are other colors? I'm just confused because it seems that everything I've read contradicts everything. I've been to the websites and I think I'm just reading so much I've lost myself in it.

I've read nothing but amazing about henna, even before my researching, and I've always wanted to try it but only after I know fully understand what the hell it is! lol

If someone could break this down for me (hold my hand and walk me through like I'm 4! lol) I would love you sooooooo-o-o-o much!

Thank you.
Imgettingthere
Imgettingthere

Back to top Go down

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN HENNA? Empty Re: CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN HENNA?

Post by Madeaj 27th December 2010, 4:42 pm

Okay here goes. I'm not an expert but I'll tell you what I do know from research.

Henna is a dye, it only comes in red. Because its a plant, only testing of a batch or crop will tell you how much dye content henna will have. You will have seen people talking about Jamilla Henna. That is the name of a popular henna on the boards. I bought my henna from Mehendi.com, the crop I brought is called Celebration but its is still a jamilla henna.

Henna dye binds to the hair and strengthens it somehow. Don't want to mislead you on this point. I just know that it is permanent and unlike chemical dyes, you can't easily bleach it out. BUT because its a plant dye, you can use it often with no side-affects other than deepeing color.

If you are looking for strengthening without red color, you could try cassia. It imparts a blond color on light hair and is invisible on dark or black hair.

Here's a link to an ebook with good information on henna.Free Henna Ebook

Personal experience, I love the results of henna on my hair. I feel its stronger and shinier.

HTH

Last edited by Madeaj on 27th December 2010, 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 27th December 2010, 4:48 pm

Hey Gettingthere. Well you are kinda right when you asked if it's a conditioner or a color. It's kinda both. It doesn't really DYE your hair, it kinda just gives it a tint. And it strengthens your hair as well. And the more you henna, the more color you will see and the stronger your hair will get. The color that you get is a reddish burgundy tint (at least on me it is). If you want black hair they say to add indigo to it. Also, boxes that say brown or blonde or red or whatever colored henna, you may wanna stay away from or at least really know the ingredients. Henna only really comes in one color as far as I know so any added color may be a chemical.

I am by no means a henna pro because I have only done it once and need to do my 2nd application soon. But it won't hurt your hair.

Oh and WHATEVER you do DON'T use lemon juice. I know some people say to use it and even the company that I got mine from says to but it pretty much ate up my scalp. Too acidic!!! I learned the hard way and ended up with scabs and serious dry flaky scalp for like 2-3 weeks!!! Next time I am ONLY gonna use tea and honey. Probably a red zinger or raspberry Zinger tea.

Hope that helps, at least a little!!! Smile
misskris
misskris

http://www.earthdust.com

Back to top Go down

Post by newlycurlygirly 27th December 2010, 5:19 pm

Does henna loosen your curl pattern @ all? I'd like to try the indigo color, but I am afraid it will loosen my tight coils.
newlycurlygirly
newlycurlygirly

http://members.fotki.com/newlycurlygirly/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by Madeaj 27th December 2010, 5:22 pm

Henna can loosen a curl pattern, not like a relaxer though. It doesn't do that to all hair, though. Some people use alma treatments after henna and clay treatments to bring back the curl.
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 27th December 2010, 5:28 pm

It didn;t loosen mine up but I did only do it once so far. That may be one of those things like the color and strengthening--the more you do it the more it works. So if I keep doing it, I dunno, it might loosed the curls but I really don't want that.
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by newlycurlygirly 27th December 2010, 5:31 pm

The only reason I ask is because I've seen pictures of people who have done henna continuously over time and it's loosened their curl pattern drastically. If I were to do it, I wouldn't do it very often if it has that effect.
newlycurlygirly
newlycurlygirly

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 27th December 2010, 5:36 pm

yeah me either. I said I may do it once a month. Some people do it weekly!!!!! which quite honestly takes WAY too much time!! LOL But If I see that my curls are starting to stretch I would stop.
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by newlycurlygirly 27th December 2010, 5:39 pm

@misskris, thank you for all your insight Very Happy
newlycurlygirly
newlycurlygirly

Back to top Go down

Post by Imgettingthere 27th December 2010, 5:57 pm

Thanks everybody!

This actually cleared up alot. Do you guys apply the henna yourself or do you have it done in a salon?
Imgettingthere
Imgettingthere

Back to top Go down

Post by atangledmess 27th December 2010, 9:00 pm

Hi Imgettingthere, I was just as confused as you were and everytime I read someone's blog, I was back to being confused. However, I went all in a tried the henna. I have coarse, tangled hair that I've cut and ripped out the tangled and knots due to frustration. The henna actually softened my hair and loosened my curl pattern. I don't wear my hair out during the winter months so that wasn't an issue for me until the summer rolls around. I ordered Alma to restore my curl pattern and to continue conditioning without using henna. I also ordered cassia. What sort of made this simple for me was henna with something acidity will stain your hair. Henna without something acidity will just condition your hair and give your hair a nice shine. Alma is a conditioner but will stain greys and light colored hair a yellowish color, I believe. Alma mixed with henna will help retain your curls and acts as an acid. Hope that simplifies it some

farao flower

atangledmess

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlaAR 28th December 2010, 5:11 am

Imgettingthere wrote:Thanks everybody!

This actually cleared up alot. Do you guys apply the henna yourself or do you have it done in a salon?

I and probably all of us do it ourselves. I never knew of a salon that would do the application.

The henna strengthened my hair drastically since I started using it. I have less breakage in general. In terms of color, I have some sun bleached areas on the top of my head and it did make those areas red, but my hair is pretty dark all over.

You can see a little of the color here.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It hasn't loosened my curls at all - thankfully.
CarlaAR
CarlaAR

Back to top Go down

Post by Imgettingthere 28th December 2010, 2:47 pm

@EVERYONE

confused

So is Cassia and Henna basically the samething? From what I understand the only differences are Cassia and Henna are color and amount of time it effects (strengthening and all that jazz) last. Henna lasting arounfd 3-4 weeks and Cassia around 1-2? right?
Imgettingthere
Imgettingthere

Back to top Go down

Post by Madeaj 28th December 2010, 3:38 pm

Henna is permanent, the benefits are permanent. If you want you can just henna new growth. Cassia benefits lasts abot 4 weeks.
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by PrincessRN 29th December 2010, 2:00 pm

This thread is so helpful. I too am confused about henna. i want to take teh plunge but I am still hesitant. Thanks for all the insight ladies!
PrincessRN
PrincessRN

Back to top Go down

Post by Cecewms84 29th December 2010, 3:45 pm

I really appreciate all of the insight in this thread.

Is it ok to henna twa?
Cecewms84
Cecewms84

Back to top Go down

Post by newlycurlygirly 29th December 2010, 3:58 pm

You can henna any length of hair
newlycurlygirly
newlycurlygirly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cecewms84 29th December 2010, 4:08 pm

cheers
Cecewms84
Cecewms84

Back to top Go down

Post by newlycurlygirly 29th December 2010, 4:09 pm

lol @cecewms84, I feel the same way! I'm going to get some this weekend. It'll be my first time
newlycurlygirly
newlycurlygirly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cecewms84 29th December 2010, 4:20 pm

^ I've just started researching it. I'm concerned with the time constraints - when is why i haven't done it yet

but i'm curious: what are the simplest ingredients to add to it? I've seen that ladies like to get real in depth with the ingredients (green tea, honey, etc)- whats the basics?

Sorry for hijacking the thread. Smile
Cecewms84
Cecewms84

Back to top Go down

Post by newlycurlygirly 29th December 2010, 4:41 pm

Well, the simplest "mixes" I've seen is 2 boxes of Jamila henna, mixed with 1 cup of water and a splash of ACV. I've also seen people put green tee in boiling water and mix, and I've seen it mixed with a cheapy conditioner and water and some sort of oil...so I will be trying one of those, I just haven't decided which yet. Many people do it many different ways. I think it's a trial and error thing to see which combo is best for your hair.
newlycurlygirly
newlycurlygirly

Back to top Go down

Post by belleaenca 29th December 2010, 9:49 pm

newlycurlygirly wrote:Does henna loosen your curl pattern @ all? I'd like to try the indigo color, but I am afraid it will loosen my tight coils.

What I have read is that it can go either way...it loosens the curl pattern on some people and it defines it for other. I tried cassia about a month ago and the results were a more defined curl...

belleaenca

Back to top Go down

Post by belleaenca 29th December 2010, 9:53 pm

Imgettingthere wrote:@EVERYONE

confused

So is Cassia and Henna basically the samething? From what I understand the only differences are Cassia and Henna are color and amount of time it effects (strengthening and all that jazz) last. Henna lasting arounfd 3-4 weeks and Cassia around 1-2? right?

I have not tried henna but I can speak for cassia. I tried cassia over a month ago and I can still see its effects now when I wash my hair. It still feels very thick and "strong" to the touch; and my curl pattern is still pretty defined even without adding any product to it.

While henna tints brunette hair a reddish hue, cassia doesn't. Cassia will tint gray hair blonde but it has no "color" effect on dark hair so it's perfect to use as a treatment if that is all you're looking for. HTH Smile

belleaenca

Back to top Go down

Post by atangledmess 29th December 2010, 11:23 pm

Hi belleaenca,

I ordered cassia and alma and I was wondering what ingredients did you mix in the cassia? Thanks for your response.

atangledmess

Back to top Go down

Post by aggiegem 30th December 2010, 1:29 pm

Cassia is like henna without the color effects. Both do the same thing, but henna you get the red color and cassia you get no color effect. I've gotten lazy in my henna applications over the year, but I'm more concerned with the loosening effect over time. I still have two boxes of henna left that I need to use. After that, I will try cassia since I'm hearing that it defines the curl pattern. I don't need anymore loosening in the front of my hair.

aggiegem

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next