CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Big Chop

+5
teenatty
rayray19
milwaukeechick
kiki28504
TheBlaqkMamba
9 posters

Go down

The Big Chop Empty The Big Chop

Post by TheBlaqkMamba 9th December 2010, 11:50 pm

Well I finally went ahead and faced the big chop.My hair was terribly damaged so now...I'm a little on the short side.Ok..more than little.I felt so bad at first because I had let my hair get this bad..and it didn't help that my 3 year old niece said I looked like a boy Sad,but now I feel a little better knowing that this is setting me on a path to making my hair better.

So now I'm sitting here....the shortest my hair has ever been and I'm at a lost of what to do to take care of my hair.I don't want to mess this up.

Any ideas?

TheBlaqkMamba

Back to top Go down

The Big Chop Empty Re: The Big Chop

Post by kiki28504 9th December 2010, 11:56 pm

Congrats on the BC. I just recently did it myself--November 2. I'm pretty new to this, but I do now that you should def keep your hair well moisturized. By you being in Maryland, I'm pretty sure it's cold up there so make sure your hair doesn't get dry. You will learn that water is your best friend. If you haven't already, check out curlynikki.com and hairlista.com. This forum is really good too. The girls are wonderful up here. I can always count on someone to help me out when I have any questions. Enjoy your natural hair journey. Sorry I don't have more tips for you. Like I said, I'm new to this.
kiki28504
kiki28504

Back to top Go down

Post by kiki28504 9th December 2010, 11:58 pm

My hair is pretty short also. Can you post a pic of your hair? I would love to see it.
kiki28504
kiki28504

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBlaqkMamba 10th December 2010, 12:08 am

Thank you...you're right it is pretty cold up here...
I'm gonna try to post a picture later Smile
Thanks for the encouragement Smile

TheBlaqkMamba

Back to top Go down

Post by milwaukeechick 10th December 2010, 12:21 am

Congrats!!!!
Okay so to me you are a strong and confident secure women. We all are. But you and others BIG CHOP which takes guts, You know who you are in the inside and you wont be defined by what people think of you, You can walk in a room and know you stand out and you what pretty much what people are thinking but you remain proud and sweet and look everyone in the eyes and smile. I get the fish Eye all the time

Good luck santa
milwaukeechick
milwaukeechick

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBlaqkMamba 10th December 2010, 12:26 am

Thank you Smile
I'm glad I found somewhere to talk to people.
None of my friends really understand how crappy it is to have problems with hair.
That is exactly what I needed to hear woot!

TheBlaqkMamba

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 10th December 2010, 3:47 am

Congrats on the BC!! post pics!!

now I've found that the importance for carig for natural hair is keeping it well moisturized..meaning after you wash or cowash your hair you should
-apply a water-based leave in
-then your moisturizer (mines is qhemets AOHC)
-then seal with some oil (I love coconut oil)
sealing you hair is a very important step when keeping moisture in..

also deep conditioning help with maintaining moisture as well..I DC once a week..sometimes twice a week if i really need it..
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by teenatty 10th December 2010, 12:23 pm

CONGRATS....ON THE BC. I RECENTLY BC!! I HAVE NEVER BEEN SO HAPPY. I WEAR WIGS TO WORK BUT WHEN I AM HOME I SPORT MY BOYISH LOOK. MY TWO SONS WERE LIKE MOMMY Y?? BUT I EXPLAINED THAT I HAD TO DO THIS FOR ME!!! Very Happy I WAS NATURAL BEFORE AND SHOULD HAVE NEVER REVERTED BACK TO PERMS. THAT WAS WHEN I WAS NINETEEN AND NOW AT 27 ALMOST 28 I WILL STAY NATUTAL.

HERE'S MY ADVICE. LOVE YOUR HAIR. GOD GAVE IT TOO YOU, SOME OF US ARE KINKY GIRLS. SOME OF US ARE CURLY. SOME ARE WAVVY AND SOME R A MIXTURE. SO REMEMBER WHAT WORKS FOR ME MIGHT NOT WORK FOR YOU. BUT I BELIEVE IN WASHING ONCE A WEEK. CONDITIONING 3-4 DAYS A WEEK WITH OR WITHOUT WATER. CASTOR OIL IS GREAT FOR YOUR HAIR ALSO I USE THIS NATURAL GREASE THATS EXCELLENT. ANOTHER NATURAL RECOMMENDED. IT'S NATURE SOMETHING. ITS GREEN AND FOR A SMALL BOTTLE ITS 2.99 . I MIX IT WITH CASTOR OIL. IDK SO FAR I'M ALREADY SEEING GROWTH.

ANYWAY SORRY FOR BEING LONG WINDED BUT JUST STAY CONFIDENT AND BE PATIENT. BY NEXT YEAR THIS TIME U WILL BE FIERCE. I KNOW I WILL!!!
teenatty
teenatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 10th December 2010, 1:12 pm

Hey Blaqkmambq! Welcome to the forums! You will get plenty of good advice here! Lol, don't sweat your niece, she doesn't know any better. We all know you look fierce! The best advice I can give is think of going natural as a total body experience. The better you eat, the more water you drink, the more you try to stay healthy in general, the more your hair will thrive and thank you for it. A good hair care regimen starts inside! You may want to up your water intake and consider some multivitamins. Congrats on taking the first step on your journey to better hair! dance
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by ladygogohot 10th December 2010, 1:32 pm

Hey Girl Congrats!!!! Don't feel bad about having short u have to start somewhere. I did no do a BC but a Big Shaved Very Happy . I just took my husband shaver and went @ it. I look like Brittany when i was done-hehehe. But that was three years ago and my hair is doing great and i am rooking my puffs and twist and enjoying my look.

P.s . Do not let Anyone discourage you -you will have the last laugh ...enjoy
ladygogohot
ladygogohot

Back to top Go down

Post by FABulosity22 11th December 2010, 7:55 pm

I BC'd a week ago and my mother thought I was going insane (seriously)! I've learned that the products that I used during my transition, doesn't work as well on my natural hair. I have discovered the awesomeness of Kinky Curly Knot Today a few days ago. My hair literally said "Thank You" when I applied it to my hair.

I also wear a wig to work but learning to make sure my hair is really moisturized underneath the wig. When I don't co wash (which is 3x a week), I spray my hair with water and apply Coconut Oil and Shea Butter.
FABulosity22
FABulosity22

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 11th December 2010, 8:30 pm

Congrats! Enjoy every step of getting to know your hair and welcome!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBlaqkMamba 11th December 2010, 11:19 pm

Thank you everyone..all of the advice and encouragement is amazing.

I was a little worried at first but each I'm getting more comfortable.In the end I will clearly see that this was the right thing to do.

TheBlaqkMamba

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down